Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: game 14 (13?) - Mavs (6-6) at Raptors (4-8) 6:30pm FSSW/LP

Raptors have won two in a row. Mavs lost their one-game home before flying to Florida to play the Raptors. Raptors are almost at full strength. Mavs will have significant injuries.

Mavs injury report
KP- ankle- probable
Brunson - Covid - probable
THJ - groin - questionable
DFS - Covid - out
Richardson - Covid - out
Kleber - Covid - out
Powell - Covid - out

Raptors injury report
McCaw - out
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just sit Luka and KP

Or play KP 20min and let him jack up practice shots
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Just sit Luka and KP

Or play KP 20min and let him jack up practice shots
I hope they do sit them both.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I hope they do sit them both.
Why what's the benefit of that?

Just asking because this year I've seen AD/LeBron and Leonard/George all play in b2b

But then again each of those teams seem to be going after that #1 seed so I guess it's cool if the Mavs are content with battling for the 7th or 8th seed.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-17-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Why what's the benefit of that?

Just asking because this year I've seen AD/LeBron and Leonard/George all play in b2b
ah they played in a b2b with six main guys missing?

Its going to be a waste of energy to play Luka
Old 01-17-2021, 09:56 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:

so what your saying is just throw the game and give up.

Mavs aren't the only team playing short handed BTW

I'm glad Luka doesn't have that mentality and if he has a say so he'll probably play.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #7
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Loser mentality if I’ve ever seen it. Luka is 21 years old. He doesn’t need to rest. They need to try and win every game they can. The raptors aren’t that good this year and anything is possible day to day.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Loser mentality if I’ve ever seen it. Luka is 21 years old. He doesn’t need to rest. They need to try and win every game they can. The raptors aren’t that good this year and anything is possible day to day.
I'm with you Luka is young he'll be just fine and I don't think they can afford to just throw away games this year out west. With the Covid protocols if your best players are available you play them because you don't know down the road they could be forced to sit out games due to covid or injury.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Just check the upcoming schedule in the next two weeks and you see that its not loser mentality to not play him in a B2B with a borderline G league roster.

B2B are anyway bullshit and its just a matter of time until the league finally kills them with a shortened preseason and a longer regular season
Old 01-17-2021, 11:11 PM   #10
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:20 PM   #11
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Just check the upcoming schedule in the next two weeks and you see that its not loser mentality to not play him in a B2B with a borderline G league roster.

B2B are anyway bullshit and its just a matter of time until the league finally kills them with a shortened preseason and a longer regular season
The problem is there are 5 teams out west that are 6-6 all battling for that 7th or 8th seed right now.

Dallas is one of those teams currently sitting at 7th because guess what those Spurs are playing hard every night and not resting guys holding the division lead at the moment.

Yes it's still early but there are only 72 games this year and I'd hate to see them trying to play catchup later in the year because they decided to sit Luka & KP giving away games early in the year.

The west is no joke.....
Old 01-18-2021, 12:29 AM   #12
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be the loser mentality that worked so well for the Spurs. It’s simply keeping an eye on the bigger picture.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don’t give a shit if the 95 bulls are coming up next week. Luka can handle back to backs like every other star not coming off serious injuries. This team is not in a position to just take losses because well we’re gonna lose anyway mentality.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #14
Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of light

I'm torn on this one. I was pretty deflated yesterday seeing them get blown out in their own backyard. I would have been okay with it if they barely lost given how many key players were out. However, they can't keep losing games in the stacked West...there are just too many good teams. I know it's a dozen games into the season, but at some point if they continue to hover around .500 it's going to be extremely tough for them to make the playoffs and if they do, we're looking at a 6th seed at best. On the flip side, since it's looking dicey for THJ to play then the Mavs will have limited scoring options yet again for tonight. So many different angles to take for this one and i honestly don't know which is the right and wrong approach.
Grady Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

To not play Luka would be a blunder of epic proportions. Hell KP needs minutes too but I'm fine with limiting him some. It's a shortened season where we are in a brutal mix of fringe teams trying to make the playoffs. You never know when you or any other team is going to lose players to covid protocols, so either sack the fuck up or pack up. There is no room on the playoff bubble as a struggling team to rest.

If anyone buys that Luka was mad at Rick for not calling a timeout at the end of the game recently, go ahead and sit him and you will see really mad.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #16
Grady Wilson

Grady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of lightGrady Wilson is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't go so far to say "blunder of epic proportions". We are talking about Game 13 of the regular season and it's certainly not going to make or break the season with what is decided for tonight. If this were Game 3 of the WCF and some sort of crazy decision was made then yes, that would be one of epic proportions. Gotta have some perspective.... That being said, I am in agreement that if there's nothing physically wrong with Luka then there's really no reason why he should sit. Again, there are pros and cons to both sides of this coin.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Eh, I'm not much down with these excuses for poor play, or not playing at all, like back-to-back games and "scheduled loss", as most of these guys are in their 20's. I sure hope the Mavs are not overconfident about their future ability to climb back up the standings. IMO, their mentality should be that every game is a must-win situation.

Also, as to playing or not playing Luka, playing in actual games is exactly what he needs to round into "game shape".

Last edited by tgfan; 01-18-2021 at 11:21 AM.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
To not play Luka would be a blunder of epic proportions. Hell KP needs minutes too but I'm fine with limiting him some. It's a shortened season where we are in a brutal mix of fringe teams trying to make the playoffs. You never know when you or any other team is going to lose players to covid protocols, so either sack the fuck up or pack up. There is no room on the playoff bubble as a struggling team to rest.

If anyone buys that Luka was mad at Rick for not calling a timeout at the end of the game recently, go ahead and sit him and you will see really mad.
Outstanding post! And I agree 100%
...also in a past life you may have been my High School football coach.
#so either sack the fuck up or pack up#
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:12 PM   #19
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Eh, I'm not much down with these excuses for poor play, or not playing at all, like back-to-back games and "scheduled loss", as most of these guys are in their 20's. I sure hope the Mavs are not overconfident about their future ability to climb back up the standings. IMO, their mentality should be that every game is a must-win situation.

Also, as to playing or not playing Luka, playing in actual games is exactly what he needs to round into "game shape".
I hope they're not either because at this point they're proven nothing other than they got into the playoffs last year as a #7 seed. They're .500 right now and a few of the games can be attributed to COVID, but the vast majority of the games are attributed to inconsistent play. Yes, there are some valid reasons why (lack of training camp time, etc.), however the other 29 teams went through the same thing and many are playing much better than the Mavs have to this point.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #20
Dallas41
Diamond Member

They got that 7th seed last year but let's remember Portland and Phoenix struggled most the year until the bubble.

Those two teams are better this year and their record indicates it.

The Mavs as mentioned before can't afford to just write off games because they haven't even created enough separation from teams like the Spurs, Warriors or even Thunder at this point.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd hate to see them end up drawing the Lakers in the 1st round just because they decided to write off some early season games.

We honestly don't know if this team will have a full roster most of the year because of everything that is happening in the world and I'll be honest with you Luka is starting to feel impatient to me. I used to think he'll be here a long time and stay patient like Dirk.

But now I'm having 2nd thoughts that this guy wants to win RIGHT NOW and he's not waiting for the Mavs to take 5-6 years to put a contender around him.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-18-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They got that 7th seed last year but let's remember Portland and Phoenix struggled most the year until the bubble.

The Mavs as mentioned before can't afford to just write off games because they haven't even created enough separation from teams like the Spurs, Warriors or even Thunder at this point.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd hate to see them end up drawing the Lakers in the 1st round just because they decided to write off some early season games.

We honestly don't know if this team will have a full roster most of the year because of everything that is happening in the world and I'll be honest with you Luka is starting to feel impatient to me. I used to think he'll be here a long time and stay patient like Dirk.

But now I'm having 2nd thoughts that this guy wants to win RIGHT NOW and he's not waiting for the Mavs to take 5-6 years to put a contender around him.
Well KP needs to step the f up and play better period. I think he will once he gets back into the swing of things.

I know people go on and on about another star, but what we really just need is another ball handler. The only other guys on the roster that can handle the ball are Burke and Brunson and to a lesser extent JJ but he isn't getting a lot of minutes.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #22
Grady Wilson

Quote:

Wow, not sure why or how you're coming up with the notion that he's impatient. Frustrated yes, such as Friday night, but I've seen zero indication that he wants to win now and is growing impatient. I think that's the attitude and culture of the Dallas fan (Cowboys, Mavs, Rangers, etc.) more than it is with Luka. A lot of fans that root for the Dallas teams have zero patience for a team to grow. If he doesn't want to stick around for 5 or 6 years and gradually build the team into a legit title contender, then maybe it's just not meant to be for him to be a permanent fixture for the Mavs like Dirk was, which would really suck. All he has to do is look at what Giannis did a month or so ago. Yes, I'm sure the huge payday was the overriding factor for him, but I'm sure he also had a sense of loyalty to the Bucks and has unfinished work. Having Dirk still around the Mavs organization is huge and he will give Luka a lot of advice and guidance if and when the time comes for him to be a FA. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I just don't see any obvious, or even subtle, hints that Luka is already losing his patience.

Last edited by Grady Wilson; 01-18-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson is cleared of Covid tracing (was close to players but tested negative for a week).

THJ is questionable with that nagging groin strain
Old 01-18-2021, 03:10 PM   #24
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Wilson View Post
Wow, not sure why or how you're coming up with the notion that he's impatient. Frustrated yes, such as Friday night, but I've seen zero indication that he wants to win now and is growing impatient. I think that's the attitude and culture of the Dallas fan (Cowboys, Mavs, Rangers, etc.) more than it is with Luka. A lot of fans that root for the Dallas teams have zero patience for a team to grow. If he doesn't want to stick around for 5 or 6 years and gradually build the team into a legit title contender, then maybe it's just not meant to be for him to be a permanent fixture for the Mavs like Dirk was, which would really suck. All he has to do is look at what Giannis did a month or so ago. Yes, I'm sure the huge payday was the overriding factor for him, but I'm sure he also had a sense of loyalty to the Bucks and has unfinished work. Having Dirk still around the Mavs organization is huge and he will give Luka a lot of advice and guidance if and when the time comes for him to be a FA. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I just don't see any obvious, or even subtle, hints that Luka is already losing his patience.
Frustration can lead to impatience if it goes on long enough. There is no doubt in my mind that Luka has been frustrated with RC on a couple of occasions. Doesn't mean he is planning or considering an exit from the Mavs, but I would certainly not want to be on this path for very long. Luka is a fierce competitor and is not accustomed to losing, so there is some pressure for the MBT to get things in order asap. It might mean you have a shorter timeframe for KP getting physically able to compete consistently and/or looking (rather than waiting) for opportunities to trade THJ for a quick upgrade. In any case, I think it is a bit early to be anxious about Luka jumping ship, but looking for another star is not a bad idea, especially IF the Mavs medical team sees some red flags with KP's long-term health.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:27 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Frustration can lead to impatience if it goes on long enough. There is no doubt in my mind that Luka has been frustrated with RC on a couple of occasions.
I think you're making some jumps that simply aren't there.

Frustration happens. Pop got players frustrated. Jackson and Riley got players frustrated. It's about the relationship that resolves those frustrations and about respect. There is a huge gulf between a player being frustrated. I think there's at least some evidence that Luka has been frustrated. There is zero evidence that there is a relationship problem.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #26
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Just curious why would you think that Luka doesn't want to win now?

From everything that I've seen about him on and off the floor based on body language and quotes after games.

I think this kid is ready to win now.....

I believe he is talented enough to win now.

I'm sure he's happy to make the playoffs but you can clearly tell he's just not interested in making the playoffs. He wants to do damage sooner rather than later.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Just curious why would you think that Luka doesn't want to win now?

From everything that I've seen about him on and off the floor based on body language and quotes after games.

I think this kid is ready to win now.....

I believe he is talented enough to win now.

I'm sure he's happy to make the playoffs but you can clearly tell he's just not interested in making the playoffs. He wants to do damage sooner rather than later.
I would hope the at every player in the organization wants to win now. I misspoke earlier. There's a difference between wanting to win now and growing impatient like you said. You're making it sound as though he's getting frustrated hence stating it appears as though he's showing signs of impatience. I don't see that from him. I think you're reading way too much into something that isn't there. The front office wants to build pieces together now to make him happy, sure. However, I don't think Luka is going to be putting together a plan to bail on the Mavs if they don't make it to the WCF at a minimum this year. That'd be rather foolish thinking. Like I mentioned earlier, that's the general mentality of all Dallas fans in any sport. We have to win now...screw this 4 or 5 year process. That's a ridiculous way to think. I guess I don't understand what you're interpretation of "win now" is in Luka's thought process. Is it win a championship now? Is it get to the WCF now? Is it a disappointment and/or failure of a season if the Mavs don't make it to the WCF this year? If so, then I guess we can all get ready for him to sign elsewhere if he doesn't want to ride this thing out. I'm in agreement that this team should have more success in the playoffs this year. A first round exit should be expected and if that were to happen I wouldn't have any issue with Luka being impatient.

Last edited by Grady Wilson; 01-18-2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #28
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far to say "blunder of epic proportions". We are talking about Game 13 of the regular season and it's certainly not going to make or break the season with what is decided for tonight. If this were Game 3 of the WCF and some sort of crazy decision was made then yes, that would be one of epic proportions. Gotta have some perspective.... That being said, I am in agreement that if there's nothing physically wrong with Luka then there's really no reason why he should sit. Again, there are pros and cons to both sides of this coin.
If you can't justify him being out with an injury it is. To schedule your best player off, who is 21 years old (who came in a bit out of shape) is ridiculous. Wins are hard to come by and we are already down a handful of players. Why not just forfeit the game then, because that would be essentially the level of give up. It is just 13 games in, but it's a shortened season, where we just got our #2 guy back and he look at least 10 games away from where he should be. The playoffs are going to be a season long scrap and we aren't in a position to be casually sitting Luka for rest.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #29
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Frustration can lead to impatience if it goes on long enough. There is no doubt in my mind that Luka has been frustrated with RC on a couple of occasions. Doesn't mean he is planning or considering an exit from the Mavs, but I would certainly not want to be on this path for very long. Luka is a fierce competitor and is not accustomed to losing, so there is some pressure for the MBT to get things in order asap. It might mean you have a shorter timeframe for KP getting physically able to compete consistently and/or looking (rather than waiting) for opportunities to trade THJ for a quick upgrade. In any case, I think it is a bit early to be anxious about Luka jumping ship, but looking for another star is not a bad idea, especially IF the Mavs medical team sees some red flags with KP's long-term health.
I completely agree that the Mavs front office needs to get a bona fide 3rd "star" for a couple of reasons. One is the obvious in that KP will never be a consistent and trusted upon 2nd option because he can't stay healthy, fair assumption or not. Second is I'm still not convinced that THJ is going to be putting up consistent productive numbers. Yes, he's been pretty damn good this season in a lot of games, but I'm always afraid he'll pull out the 3 for 12 kinda night a the worst possible times. I think deep down the Mavs front office knows this and therefore if they can trade him to some team that's willing to give up more than imagined then I believe that's a strong step in the right direction to convince Luka that they're putting together a great team with him.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #30
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If you can't justify him being out with an injury it is. To schedule your best player off, who is 21 years old (who came in a bit out of shape) is ridiculous. Wins are hard to come by and we are already down a handful of players. Why not just forfeit the game then, because that would be essentially the level of give up. It is just 13 games in, but it's a shortened season, where we just got our #2 guy back and he look at least 10 games away from where he should be. The playoffs are going to be a season long scrap and we aren't in a position to be casually sitting Luka for rest.
It will be the third game in four nights with stupid travel between those days. Milwaukee to Dallas and then to Florida is just dumb scheduling. Honestly, I don't expect him to sit either, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if he did. Unfortunately, that's the way it is in the NBA now. If they got beat by double digits at home to a team less talented and had loss four games in a row, then I'm pretty skeptical of their chances to beat Toronto tonight with pretty much their same lineup (assuming THJ isn't playing).

Last edited by Grady Wilson; 01-18-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #31
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think you're making some jumps that simply aren't there.

Frustration happens. Pop got players frustrated. Jackson and Riley got players frustrated. It's about the relationship that resolves those frustrations and about respect. There is a huge gulf between a player being frustrated. I think there's at least some evidence that Luka has been frustrated. There is zero evidence that there is a relationship problem.
Where did I say there is a relationship problem? And I am not making any jumps other than the general idea that prolonged frustration can lead to impatience. Sure, any frustration a player is feeling can be patched up in other ways with their coach. And sometimes that won't happen. Time will tell how that would work out assuming we even get to that point.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really care if there is frustration because Rick will be gone before Luka if it comes to that.

Anyway, Luka and everyone get that it's a covid year. Not a lot you can do about that.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #33
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Luka is nothing like the enigmatic and somewhat phlegmatic Dirk, and I hope the Mavs understand that. Just watch how, after games end, Luka goes straight to the star players on the opposing team and hob nobs with them a bit, while Dirk didn't really care if he talked to anybody or not, lol. IMO, the Mavs better generate a sense of urgency with this team pretty quick, if they want to keep Luka here.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #34
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I don't really care if there is frustration because Rick will be gone before Luka if it comes to that.

Anyway, Luka and everyone get that it's a covid year. Not a lot you can do about that.
Depends on the level and length of frustration. If it's frustration over a time out not being called, then meh coaches and players can get past that I would hope. If it's frustration over personnel, or rotations, attitudes, etc. then that's a different problem. That type of frustration can cover over to the entire team and then it becomes a mess. I'm not saying there's anything remotely like that with the Mavs right now, but if there is any frustrations/impatience/whatever being displayed it needs to be addressed.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

Rick is usually pretty laid back but even he was getting irritated at things with Covid. Either you have a season or you don't. Either you have Covid or you don't. He (and Luka) just want to have a whole team so they can play. He had a pretty salty quote about Brunson not being able to play. I can see guys who have had Covid, but Brunson has been testing negative for 10 days, right?

I'm a little irritated at it too. I'm glad we have basketball, but yesterday was not basketball. It was a healthy team vs. Doncic and a bunch of spares.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #36
Grady Wilson

[QUOTE=tgfan;1487202 Just watch how, after games end, Luka goes straight to the star players on the opposing team and hob nobs with them a bit, while Dirk didn't really care if he talked to anybody or not, lol. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by Grady Wilson; 01-18-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #37
Grady Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Luka is nothing like the enigmatic and somewhat phlegmatic Dirk, and I hope the Mavs understand that. Just watch how, after games end, Luka goes straight to the star players on the opposing team and hob nobs with them a bit, while Dirk didn't really care if he talked to anybody or not, lol. IMO, the Mavs better generate a sense of urgency with this team pretty quick, if they want to keep Luka here.
That's an immaterial and the least of any Luka mannerisms. If you're going to be irritated about that then you're irritated at 95% of the players in every sport. Pretty much commonplace now for the players on opposing teams to talk and joke around with each other after games. I have zero problem with that to be honest.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #38
tgfan
Golden Member

Quote:
That's an immaterial and the least of any Luka mannerisms. If you're going to be irritated about that then you're irritated at 95% of the players in every sport. Pretty much commonplace now for the players on opposing teams to talk and joke around with each other after games. I have zero problem with that to be honest.
What makes you think I'm irritated about that? I don't have a problem with it at all. My post was just pointing out how intense Luka's personality is, and that it may be a predictor of his future actions in the event that the Mavs don't get things together relatively soon. I just don't think he's going to demonstrate the same loyalty to one team that Dirk did. I love his intense competitive spirit and I wish him all the best.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #39
SMC0007
Guru

I'm not worried about Luka leaving. If he does, I doubt it will be because we aren't trying to build around him. It's clear we are trying even though not everyone is always on the same page about it. I would expect that MBT actually takes his opinions about trades and signing into consideration or they will soon. I mean they ask me on NBA2k as the Mavs franchise player. Hell I just got Giannis and AD in free agency after my first year. So it's like, easy.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #40
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:

Suns are absolutely a better team than last season. I don’t think the blazers are any better than last season. They are struggling like the Mavs for different reasons.

Overall point still stands. These are all teams that can beat each other on any given night.