Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: game 17 (16?) - Rockets (5-9) at Mavs (8-7) 8:00pm FSSW/LP

Mavs are down four players due to Covid. Rockets are the sports team personification of Covid.

Mavs on that rough B2B and first game home. Rockets squeaked a 1 pt win in Detroit before the late night flight to Dallas.

This is going to be a tough game.

injury report
MAVS
JRich - Covid - out
DFS - Covid - out
Kleber - Covid - out
Powell - Covid - out

ROCKETS
Wall - Probable
Oladipo - out (B2B)
Wood - ankle - out
Porter Jr - contract - out
House - Covid - out
Exum - out

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-23-2021 at 04:19 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2021, 01:32 AM   #2
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Rick on KP getting post ups:

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/st...734236162?s=21
Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs are down four players due to Covid. Rockets are the sports team personification of Covid.

Mavs on that rough B2B and first game home. Rockets squeaked a 1 pt win in Detroit before the late night flight to Dallas.

This is going to be a tough game.
Yeah, I don't see how the Mavs are 9 point favorites at all. Maybe they're thinking Boogie will again get himself tossed in the first half! In that last game, he was abusing the Mavs at will.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
In other words Rick just doesn't want to admit he was wrong.

The post up can still be effective and good if you a have big like AD, Embid or KAT.

KP used to post up all the time in New York and was pretty solid

This year he's been effective on post up shots

For the season, Porzingis is now shooting 10-of-20 on post ups, a far greater number than a season ago, although it’s still very early. The key for Porzingis using the post up seems to be so long as it comes within the flow of the Mavericks offense, against a smaller defender with Porzingis not wasting any time. He looked good against the Spurs, scoring 21 points on 14 shots.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Yeah, I don't see how the Mavs are 9 point favorites at all. Maybe they're thinking Boogie will again get himself tossed in the first half! In that last game, he was abusing the Mavs at will.
Yeah I'm not sure what they going to do with Cousins he just too big and strong for KP and WCS.

Although I'm not a fan of guys sitting out it wouldn't shock me if KP was rested for this game and the matchup dictates Boban plays some minutes vs Cousins.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Just talk trash to Cousins and he'll get himself ejected. Dude has no chill.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Yeah I'm not sure what they going to do with Cousins he just too big and strong for KP and WCS.

Although I'm not a fan of guys sitting out it wouldn't shock me if KP was rested for this game and the matchup dictates Boban plays some minutes vs Cousins.
KP is healthy. He’s our second best player. We need him on the court. Cousins can’t guard KP either. It will just have to be a team effort on the boards tonight.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In other words Rick just doesn't want to admit he was wrong.

The post up can still be effective and good if you a have big like AD, Embid or KAT.

KP used to post up all the time in New York and was pretty solid

This year he's been effective on post up shots

For the season, Porzingis is now shooting 10-of-20 on post ups, a far greater number than a season ago, although it’s still very early. The key for Porzingis using the post up seems to be so long as it comes within the flow of the Mavericks offense, against a smaller defender with Porzingis not wasting any time. He looked good against the Spurs, scoring 21 points on 14 shots.
The piece of the article you quoted says the same thing that Rick said.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

At 10 of 20. KP’s post up shots are producing the exact same amount of points per shot, as his current 3 point percentage for the season.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
At 10 of 20. KP’s post up shots are producing the exact same amount of points per shot, as his current 3 point percentage for the season.
Yeah but I think the biggest difference is it helps his efficiency and I think getting easier shots early in games helps to get him going offensively.

I actually like both Luka and KP attacking closer to rim more often.

The Mavs have shot 52% and 48% in the last two games with an effort towards scoring points in the paint.

I even read an article where Luka's mid range shots have gone up this season and last night instead of settling for a step back 3 he used the mid range shot late in the game.

So, I'm not saying you can't win games shooting 3's but it's nice to have two stars that can get you buckets via the mid range or post up because those shots will be needed come playoff time when defenses clamp down on 3-Pt shooters.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:34 PM   #11
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
Because Wood and Oladipo are out
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yea. This

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah but I think the biggest difference is it helps his efficiency and I think getting easier shots early in games helps to get him going offensively.

I actually like both Luka and KP attacking closer to rim more often.

The Mavs have shot 52% and 48% in the last two games with an effort towards scoring points in the paint.

I even read an article where Luka's mid range shots have gone up this season and last night instead of settling for a step back 3 he used the mid range shot late in the game.

So, I'm not saying you can't win games shooting 3's but it's nice to have two stars that can get you buckets via the mid range or post up because those shots will be needed come playoff time when defenses clamp down on 3-Pt shooters.
For sure. It's great to mix it up. That's why I like him at center. He can post up, and the lane is open for his drives, and pick and rolls. Luka's mid range game is coming along nicely, and he leads the league in drives per game. His three point shot just keeps the defense honest.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:11 PM   #14
FreshJive
Diamond Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see WCS back in the starting lineup tonight.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Green did a great job of defending and playing the system even if he didn't really score, but I think it was more of a matchup thing than anything. I think WCS starts too.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #16
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Hope they greenlight Green to score. You can tell he is being coached to D only outside of gimme shots and that one Dirk fadeaway. He needs to keep shooting though.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #17
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like WCS but he's not strong enough for Cousins. The Pistons had to play rookie Isiah Stewart on him last night because Stewart is like 240 lb's at 6'9.

Heck they might even get to jawing with each other again if things carry over from the last time WCS and Cousins played.

Tucker is their PF so the Mavs can still play Green at the 4 tonight and try to get Boban some minutes on Cousins off the bench before WCS.

It's a better matchup for Boban
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #18
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Looks like you were right, dallas41. Porzingis is now listed as doubtful.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #19
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I expect the Mavs to come out flat, but they should handle business. It’s gonna be John wall, Cousins, and then just a bunch of guys.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #20
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Looks like you were right, dallas41. Porzingis is now listed as doubtful.
Bummer.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #21
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

On fight night? Dang it.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #22
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
On fight night? Dang it.
DVR is big on nights like these

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Wife took the firestick so link if you got it.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #24
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I'm not liking the perimeter D

Way too many open shots
Old 01-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ouch

This may be one of those tough ones

Dug ourselves another big hole
Old 01-23-2021, 09:27 PM   #26
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

God it is INFURIATING when Luka is two feet from the basket and instead of taking the open floater he passes out.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #27
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
God it is INFURIATING when Luka is two feet from the basket and instead of taking the open floater he passes out.
That doesn't bother me as much as the weak perimeter D

Our guards can't stop anyone from getting to the hoop and that's why the defense breaks down so much.

Burke, Brunson and THJ all have to shoot the lights out or else it's over because none of them will get you any stops.

John Wall and Eric Gordon just driving at will

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-23-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #28
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Freaking Sterling Brown blowing by people
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Keeping up but dang. Hard to give up a 15 points lead
Old 01-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #30
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

5 games in 7 nights and down four players but sheesh
Old 01-23-2021, 09:40 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh* Luka makes a great steal and of course THJ has fucking butterfingers.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
5 games in 7 nights and down four players but sheesh
Four starters, to be fair.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:43 PM   #33
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Iwundu plays hard

and THJ with the dumb foul because he didn't box out
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

This would be where our defense would keep it close even while we were missing shots but were down out best defensive guys
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #35
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

what a stupid game
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #36
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
*sigh* Luka makes a great steal and of course THJ has fucking butterfingers.
and then he leaves his wide open for a 3
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #37
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Keep them under 45% from three and we may have a chance
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #38
Dallas41
Diamond Member

No excuses about missing players because the Rockets have a bunch of no name guys out here killing the Mavs defense and they played last night in Detroit

This is just poor lazy defense
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #39
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Ugh, it IS just one of those nights. We move heaven and earth just to get a couple of free throws and then they come right back and get a three.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #40
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs in the bonus with NINE minutes left in the second quarter, but will they capitalize?
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote