Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 11:42 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: game 19 (18?) - Mavs (8-9) at Jazz (12-4) 8:00 pm FSSW/LP

Jazz are real good. Without key players, Mavs have been really mediocre. Vegas is on the side of the Jazz. However, we still have to play the game.

injury report
Kleber - Covid - out

J-Rich and DFS look to start for us.

Predicted starting lineup
KP
DFS
THJ
J-Rich
Doncic
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

will be curious to see how long DFS and J-Rich can play. I really welcome back their
defense. J-Rich and Luka seem to have a nice chemistry.
Jazz playing the second night of B2B

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 01-27-2021 at 08:09 AM.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I won't post the trade option that they think would fix this problem permanently but let's just say even at full strength the Mavs still don't have a legitimate rebounding big on the roster.

The Mavericks are currently 23rd in rebounds per game and 27th in rebounding rate. Despite often running a jumbo lineup where Porzingis and Willie Cauley-Stein play together, the Mavericks cannot seem to win battles on the glass.

Right now, Luka Doncic (13.6%) has a higher rebounding rate than Porzingis (12.7%) and Cauley-Stein (13.3%). Doncic’s 13.6 percentage is the highest rebounding rate on the Mavericks, excluding Boban Marjanovic’s 19.4 percent. Having zero major-rotation players collect more than 15 percent of rebounds when they’re on the court is a problem. Take an above-average rebounding team like the Sixers, and you’ll see they have three players with a rebounding rate over 18 percent.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I won't post the trade option that they think would fix this problem permanently but let's just say even at full strength the Mavs still don't have a legitimate rebounding big on the roster.

The Mavericks are currently 23rd in rebounds per game and 27th in rebounding rate. Despite often running a jumbo lineup where Porzingis and Willie Cauley-Stein play together, the Mavericks cannot seem to win battles on the glass.

Right now, Luka Doncic (13.6%) has a higher rebounding rate than Porzingis (12.7%) and Cauley-Stein (13.3%). Doncic’s 13.6 percentage is the highest rebounding rate on the Mavericks, excluding Boban Marjanovic’s 19.4 percent. Having zero major-rotation players collect more than 15 percent of rebounds when they’re on the court is a problem. Take an above-average rebounding team like the Sixers, and you’ll see they have three players with a rebounding rate over 18 percent.
Yea, you don't want to continue to beat that Drum(mond)

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I laughed
Old 01-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
LOL

naw that would make too much sense since he just killed the Lakers on the boards his last game out.

But seriously those stats aren't good when you got Rudy Gobert on board tonight.

Hopefully, he has tired legs from playing last night in New York. But that's jut wishful thinking because dude never seems to take games off.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

"The Mavericks are currently 23rd in rebounds per game and 27th in rebounding rate. Despite often running a jumbo lineup where Porzingis and Willie Cauley-Stein play together, the Mavericks cannot seem to win battles on the glass."

Have WCS and KP even played that much together? Along with covid hitting our starting lineup....how much have we seen of this team? And...add in all the weird small ball lineups Rick rolls out.

Im not in the practice facility and see what these guys can actually do. Games seem to be a bad indicator based on KP late start to season, covid hitting us and the weird line ups.

Maybe Rick can tell from practice that KP, WCS and Maxi cant protect the paint or get enough boards to win in the playoffs. I know that in that first Denver game(cant remember if KP played)...late in the fourth when both teams were trying...Maxi and WCS and the team were rotating good on defense. Granted...it was only one game.

Last edited by Quantum; 01-27-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mitchell out for Utah
Old 01-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #9
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mitchell out for Utah
so we got a chance now no way they win this game without spider man
Old 01-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
"The Mavericks are currently 23rd in rebounds per game and 27th in rebounding rate. Despite often running a jumbo lineup where Porzingis and Willie Cauley-Stein play together, the Mavericks cannot seem to win battles on the glass."

Have WCS and KP even played that much together? Along with covid hitting our starting lineup....how much have we seen of this team? And...add in all the weird small ball lineups Rick rolls out.

Im not in the practice facility and see what these guys can actually do. Games seem to be a bad indicator based on KP late start to season, covid hitting us and the weird line ups.

Maybe Rick can tell from practice that KP, WCS and Maxi cant protect the paint or get enough boards to win in the playoffs. I know that in that first Denver game(cant remember if KP played)...late in the fourth when both teams were trying...Maxi and WCS and the team were rotating good on defense. Granted...it was only one game.
Yeah it's weird because the defense and rebounding was really good when RC made that lineup change to WCS and Kleber together.

The Mavs went on like 4 game winning streak.

They had jumped all the way up to like top 5 defensive team in the league doing that stretch of games.

It's hard to explain why WCS & Kleber worked well together on the boards but KP and WCS don't.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #11
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah it's weird because the defense and rebounding was really good when RC made that lineup change to WCS and Kleber together.

The Mavs went on like 4 game winning streak.

They had jumped all the way up to like top 5 defensive team in the league doing that stretch of games.

It's hard to explain why WCS & Kleber worked well together on the boards but KP and WCS don't.
Well Kleber is a better defender and blocks out better. KP relies on his length. Lol. Idk how much longer I can harp on this.

Old 01-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well Kleber is a better defender and blocks out better. KP relies on his length. Lol. Idk how much longer I can harp on this.
I know this going to sound like an excuse because I'm a KP homer LOL

But maybe he just doesn't trust the knee yet or it's all just mental.

He was crashing the boards hard last year so I know he's a better rebounder than what he's shown so far.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #13
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

KP came back when Maxi went inactive, so they have yet to play in a game together. WCS has started every game since KP came back, except the two games Green started against small Pacers and Spurs lineups. The three games before Porzingis came back, Rick started WCS and Maxi together, so it would appear that they were preparing to start Maxi or WCS with KP when he returned.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #14
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I know this going to sound like an excuse because I'm a KP homer LOL

But maybe he just doesn't trust the knee yet or it's all just mental.

He was crashing the boards hard last year so I know he's a better rebounder than what he's shown so far.
I'm all for KP but I gotta hold him accountable. It's not like he doesn't have the body and ability to be a top 10 player imo. But just launching 28foot 3s isn't ever gonna do it for me. I'd love for him to mix his game up offensively and be more connected defensively.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #15
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm all for KP but I gotta hold him accountable. It's not like he doesn't have the body and ability to be a top 10 player imo. But just launching 28foot 3s isn't ever gonna do it for me. I'd love for him to mix his game up offensively and be more connected defensively.
Last game he seemed to be taking more post up shots than normal. I dont have the stats to back that up...just eye test and what I think my memory tells me of KP. He seemed to be given the ball with his back to the basket and do the turn around 10-15ft shot more than usual. I also noticed that he was putting the ball on the floor and trying to create more. Maybe my memory is bad.

I actually like that he isnt afraid to shoot. We have so many guys on the team that seem timid shooting or dribbling or taking it to the basket. Only JJ, Luka and KP seem like grown men out there. I dont think its so bad that its hurting the team win though. I would not want some of those shots being taken in a playoff atmostphere.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #16
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Last game he seemed to be taking more post up shots than normal. I dont have the stats to back that up...just eye test and what I think my memory tells me of KP. He seemed to be given the ball with his back to the basket and do the turn around 10-15ft shot more than usual. I also noticed that he was putting the ball on the floor and trying to create more. Maybe my memory is bad.

I actually like that he isnt afraid to shoot. We have so many guys on the team that seem timid shooting or dribbling or taking it to the basket. Only JJ, Luka and KP seem like grown men out there. I dont think its so bad that its hurting the team win though. I would not want some of those shots being taken in a playoff atmostphere.
See I don't think he will be able to just start playing differently when it's the playoffs. It doesn't take long for things to become habits. I tend to disagree that he isn't contributing to losing. It's definitely not all or mostly on him but his habits are a part of it. I'll qualify him as grown man when he mixes up his game consistently and buckles down defensively. I think he is getting better and it's probably still working his way back into form. I have faith.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:33 PM   #17
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

KP is just rushing it on offense which is all mental. He did the same thing last season before rounding into form. He'll be fine because you can see all the moves are there, and he is taking mostly good shots. I want him posting up all day, every day as long as the defender is smaller than him.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Favors questionable
Old 01-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #19
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I find this really interesting of how RC speaks of the guys who were sitting out compared to the guys who have been playing lately.

He didn't like the selfish style of play in that previous game

“It’s been a long road for these guys,” Carlisle said. “They’ve been through a big process. We’ve just got to get them back into it. There’s going to be a gradual aspect to it. They’re not going to be in game shape overnight, but it’s great having them back on the floor. It’s great having them back in practice. It’s three of our best defenders and most unselfish guys. Having them back in the fold is a big plus.”
Old 01-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I find this really interesting of how RC speaks of the guys who were sitting out compared to the guys who have been playing lately.

He didn't like the selfish style of play in that previous game

“It’s been a long road for these guys,” Carlisle said. “They’ve been through a big process. We’ve just got to get them back into it. There’s going to be a gradual aspect to it. They’re not going to be in game shape overnight, but it’s great having them back on the floor. It’s great having them back in practice. It’s three of our best defenders and most unselfish guys. Having them back in the fold is a big plus.”
Why? Rick loves Powell and J-Rich and DFS are starters. Why wouldn't he be happy to have two starters and a character guy back?>
Old 01-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #21
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Why? Rick loves Powell and J-Rich and DFS are starters. Why wouldn't he be happy to have two starters and a character guy back?>
I'm not disagreeing with that

I'm just comparing his quote to what he said after the previous game about the performance and the team meeting afterwards.

I know he's glad to have those guys back because they don't play a selfish style of basketball

Carlisle on ‘unselfish play’:

“Team play. It’s got to be unselfish team play,” Carlisle said. “It doesn’t matter who we put out there.

"If the ball’s moving and we’re executing and helping each other get shots, that’s going to breed a togetherness on the defensive end and we’ll give ourselves a chance.''
Old 01-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #22
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
will be curious to see how long DFS and J-Rich can play. I really welcome back their
defense. J-Rich and Luka seem to have a nice chemistry.
Jazz playing the second night of B2B
Actually hoping he sticks with Brunson off ball next to Luka that is when Brunson is at his best off ball spot up shooter.

I want no parts of THJ in the starting lineup.

He needs to go back 6th man so that way if he's not making shots at least he can't hurt the team that much defensively vs other bench players.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:48 PM   #23
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with that

"If the ball’s moving and we’re executing and helping each other get shots, that’s going to breed a togetherness on the defensive end and we’ll give ourselves a chance.''
Well, this is what aggravates me so much about Rick, i.e., he continually talks about the "ball moving". But that's not good enough. You can pass the ball around the perimeter all you want, but that is not going to accomplish anything. The Mavs have a tendency to dribble to much around the perimeter and pass the ball back and forth out there.

The problem with the Mavs is not lack of ball movement. The problem is a lack of effective PLAYER movement. The Mavs do not move without the ball enough to force the defense into making coverage mistakes and thereby create opportunities to drive or cut to the rim, or get better quality jump shots.

Just watch some of the better teams and how aggressively they move without the ball. You have to force the issue sometimes to gain a positional advantage on the defense.

Last edited by tgfan; 01-27-2021 at 08:49 PM.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #24
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Link anyone?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #25
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

No Mitchell?

This is a must win game.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 PM   #26
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Link anyone?
http://bfstrms.xyz/watch/nba-11

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #27
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Favors out too?

Okay this should be a blowout.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 PM   #28
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
No idea how to get that to work
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #29
Melonhead
Guru

Lol at DFS playing Joe on his right hip as a left hander
Old 01-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #30
Melonhead
Guru

Wonder if Mavs have any big men that can help guard Gobert
Old 01-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #31
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Mavs need a big who can do just one thing exceptional (rebound)

I don't care if that dude can't shoot 3's this team just needs a glass cleaner

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-27-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:18 PM   #32
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Gracias!
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #33
Dallas41
Diamond Member

It's one and done vs Utah they don't give up many 2nd chance shots

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-27-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #34
Melonhead
Guru

Feels so dead of a game. Like preseason
Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 PM   #35
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

I suspect that the Mavs are going to have to actually make some threes in order to win this game. So far, 0-5. Not good.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #36
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Feels so dead of a game. Like preseason
Utah is actually one of the few teams that allow fans to attend games.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #37
tgfan
Golden Member

Brunson was wide open for a three, but we passed it out to JJ, who promptly bricked it. Why do we do that?
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 PM   #38
Dallas41
Diamond Member

James Johnson hasn't really shot that 3 ball well at all this year
Old 01-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #39
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

So refs are something
Old 01-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

This reminds me of the 1980s when refs just allowed everything as long as guys were big and strong enough