Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #1
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future
Default The Mavs, Free Agency, RC and fit

This is a reply of mine about the subject of Maverick free-agent futility and excuses from a gdt thread. I thought a separate thread might generate more feedback and insight:

Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Why is there "NO" excuse? What are they supposed to do? Jedi mind trick people?

I don't think there is "no excuse." Obviously, there are reasons, but one would expect a competent organization to better pinpoint the reason(s) after so many years of futility and implement changes to offset and alleviate those objections. Personally, I don't think it's so much the "city of Dallas" as people portray. If it is, then the Mavs are just screwed, but I've travelled quite extensively and lived in several large NBA cities, and Dallas, as a city, and Texas, as a state, just don't come up so short in the desireablilty department in my opinion to warrant the record of FA futility. Heck, it looks like half the freaking country wants to move to Texas as it is.

What other factors might be of serious consideration if we set aside location, since we can't really do much about that? Well, we've got organization which I'll just abbreviate as MBT + personnel and facilities, plus the all-important "show me the money." I think those are the major factors.

So how do the Mavs stack up? As far as offers and salary-wise, Cuban has a reputation for willingness to spend the money. Endorsement deals are not in the same league for non-superstars as in CA and NY, but that's somewhat offset by no state income tax, so I don't think money is a consistent sticking point for FA's. What about facilities? Again, by reputation, Cuban takes care of his players. Amenities, perks, travel, the Mavs appear to be top notch in these categories. Fan base is solid and happy to latch on and cheer for their heroes. That pretty much leaves us to personnel and MBT. Again, the Mavs have a very good reputation for solid medical staff as well as trainers and other personnel. They even went above and beyond and hired their very own politically correct SJW CEO. This leaves us with the main constant for the Mavs during all of the years of FA futility - at least since 2008 - MBT.

The MBT have been a stable constant for the Mavs since 2008, and while the stability is a very good thing, one also has to consider the chance that there may be issues here for free agents. Nelson? Well, as GM I don't know that there would be near the "personality" impact as a Cuban or Carlisle. Yes, he should be held accountable for FA and trades, but on the outside looking in, it's hard to know exactly how much and who is accountable to what degree. How much input does Carlisle have? How often does Cuban overrule decisions? We already know the infamous Giannis gaff. Cuban? Well, if it's Cuban and his personality, then we are in the Cowboy conundrum, since that's not going to change any time soon. Barring FA issues with Cuban, that leaves RC. Might FA's have issues with his system? personality? I'm not sure, but if I were betting, I think the odds would be weighted more in favor of FA "issues" arising from RC. There really isn't a need to go over the specifics of system, playing smallish, adjustments, personality, et. al. It is what it is.

I just think that from an organizational standpoint, the biggest issue in my mind, and yes, admittedly, I'm not a big RC fan, is RC. This is not personal. He's a greatly respected coach with more skins than anybody not HoF. I just think he's a "fit" issue for the Mavs in today's NBA based upon the Mavs' lack of FA success as well as style of play, offensive system, and maybe most importantly - personality and coaching style. He's the single, largest, constant factor over the years when it comes to players and FA. Nobody spends as much time with players aside from other players than coaches. Like has been mentioned before, in the end it'll eventually fall on him, but the wait can be excrutiating for the fan base. Look how long Garrett was head of the Cowboys.

Last edited by turin; 01-30-2021 at 07:42 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I've never considered this, but honestly I think you might be onto something here. Carlisle greatly respected, but he's also known for having a prickly personality going all the way back to his days in Detroit, and he's downright infamous for not being a "players' coach."

Just reposting my own reply.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

I think he's a very good coach but sometimes coaches just wear out their time.

I think Nellie stepped down because he said the players needed to just hear a different voice.

I wonder if the Mavs would consider moving RC to front office roll like advisory if they under achieve this year.

Personally, I think he will live and die with certain lineups or veteran players. For example veteran guy than terrible for 2-3 games and still get quality minutes and then a young guy can play well and still get benched the next game.

This goes back as far as Roddy B in that series vs the Spurs one game where he clearly was outplaying Jet Terry and the Mavs would have won that game had RC just stayed with the hot hand.

I recall Tony Parker stating he was glad that RC benched Roddy B that game because the Spurs just couldn't stay in front of him.

There have been times this year where I thought Josh Green has been outstanding in terms of energy and aggressive play. He would really go hard early in games getting offensive rebounds, deflections or jumping passing lanes. Only to be benched completely because he made a rookie mistake while THJ sleeps walks an entire half going 2-8 or 1/6 with no rebounds or assist.

I mean if your coach and you preach defense 1st then why does a guy like Green get a quick hook when he's arguably your best perimeter defender.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-29-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:33 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I think he's a very good coach but sometimes coaches just wear out their time.

I think Nellie stepped down because he said the players needed to just hear a different voice.

I wonder if the Mavs would consider moving RC to front office roll like advisory if they under achieve this year.

Personally, I think he will live and die with certain lineups or veteran players. For example veteran guy than terrible for 2-3 games and still get quality minutes and then a young guy can play well and still get benched the next game.

This goes back as far as Roddy B in that series vs the Spurs one game where he clearly was outplaying Jet Terry and the Mavs would have won that game had RC just stayed with the hot hand.

I recall Tony Parker stating he was glad that RC benched Roddy B that game because the Spurs just couldn't stay in front of him.

There have been times this year where I thought Josh Green has been outstanding in terms of energy and aggressive play. He would really go hard early in games getting offensive rebounds, deflections or jumping passing lanes. Only to be benched completely because he made a rookie mistake while THJ sleeps walks an entire half going 2-8 or 1/6 with no rebounds or assist.

I mean if your coach and you preach defense 1st then why does a guy like Green get a quick hook when he's arguably your best perimeter defender.
I've said this a million times- we would've beaten the Spurs in 2010 if Carlisle gave Roddy B consistent minutes.

I'm not ready to pull the plug on RC just yet- part because we don't have a suitable replacement behind him. Unfortunately, the guy who would have been the best fit is now the head coach of the Rockets. Beyond that, I really do think Carlisle did an amazing job last year and said throughout the season that he should have been a COY candidate. So it's not like he's been bad for a long time and is only coasting on the title he won a decade ago.

That being said, sometimes things just go bad really fast. And the Mavs really do look like they're in freefall right now. The franchise begins and ends with Luka. If Carlisle isn't the right fit for a team built around Luka- and that seems very possible these days- then it's time to move on.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-30-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #5
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

D41 writes "There have been times this year where I thought Josh Green has been outstanding in terms of energy and aggressive play. He would really go hard early in games getting offensive rebounds, deflections or jumping passing lanes. Only to be benched completely because he made a rookie mistake while THJ sleeps walks an entire half going 2-8 or 1/6 with no rebounds or assist."

Where I live, NBA League Pass blacks out the Denver games for 3 days, so I am just now watching Monday's Nuggets game. THJ threw in 16 points in the 3rd quarter, half of them after he got rapped in his own nuggets.

I had read D41's comment and am kinda stunned. I suggest this quarter explains why the rookie gets a quick hook and the streaky guy who can fill it up does not. That's why we leave the coaching to the coaches.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
D41 writes "There have been times this year where I thought Josh Green has been outstanding in terms of energy and aggressive play. He would really go hard early in games getting offensive rebounds, deflections or jumping passing lanes. Only to be benched completely because he made a rookie mistake while THJ sleeps walks an entire half going 2-8 or 1/6 with no rebounds or assist."

Where I live, NBA League Pass blacks out the Denver games for 3 days, so I am just now watching Monday's Nuggets game. THJ threw in 16 points in the 3rd quarter, half of them after he got rapped in his own nuggets.

I had read D41's comment and am kinda stunned. I suggest this quarter explains why the rookie gets a quick hook and the streaky guy who can fill it up does not. That's why we leave the coaching to the coaches.
Lol

And Ironically that's probably the last good game or should I say Qtr that he's had all week.

If you notice he sucked that entire 1st half, got hot in the 3rd qtr and then in the 4th qtr of a close game dude went MIA all over again.

Hell yesterday he showed up and scored 2 points all game long

So your right we should leave the coaching up to RC because he's the one that has the patience for that type of crap that THJ pulls every 3 out of 4 games.

He couldn't get away with that b.s. crap if he was down there playing in San Antonio for a guy like Pops

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-30-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote