Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #41
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Wow. Orlando has a squad right now. If they can get Hedo and JR back to their games before they were traded to the Suns and get Agent Zero back? Orlando is going to be a PROBLEM.
Agree on Hedo. But as I've pointed out, they don't need (or want) pre-Phoenix (actually pre-Charlotte) JRich. JRich has been fantastic the past 4 years and he's an infinitely superior shooter than he ever was in GS.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #42
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
That's your opinion. Some will have Boston as the favorite (and some Miami). Myself (and many others) will now have Orlando as the favorite. We'll see. But don't "heh, no" me on something that is very decidedly agreed upon by many people. You've only been watching basketball for what, 7 years? You got a lot to learn, kid.
Let's get it right, first off. I said "heh, no" to your post saying that Orlando was now the new favorite. You didn't mentioned the Eastern Conference, just that they were the favorite. You'll have a really hard time having many people "decidedly agree upon" the fact that Orlando is now favored over the Lakers. That's what my comment was directed towards, and so spare me the lecture.

As for Orlando...like jthig, I failed to realize just how good Richardson is playing. I knew he was playing good, because I had seen his stats a while back and was quite surprised, but I had failed to remember they were that impressive. He's a better version of Carter, at this stage.

As for Turkoglu, that's where I wonder. His contract is bad, and though I expect some revival of his career, I don't expect him to beast like he did in the past in Orlando. I'm not quite as sure about Arenas...he'll be better now that he doesn't have Wall hovering over him and he doesn't have to act like a model citizen, but I'm not quite sure he's going to Agent Zero again. I think those days are behind him.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
These trades seem like a reaction to Miami's recent surge, but it keeps Orlando in the mix...
It really makes me wonder what Chicago and NY are thinking. Chicago is kind of crushed right now with Noah going down. NY is hot but they've lost to Boston and Miami - at home. Are the mellow or do they go and get Melo?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #44
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Let's get it right, first off. I said "heh, no" to your post saying that Orlando was now the new favorite. You didn't mentioned the Eastern Conference, just that they were the favorite. You'll have a really hard time having many people "decidedly agree upon" the fact that Orlando is now favored over the Lakers. That's what my comment was directed towards, and so spare me the lecture.

As for Orlando...like jthig, I failed to realize just how good Richardson is playing. I knew he was playing good, because I had seen his stats a while back and was quite surprised, but I had failed to remember they were that impressive. He's a better version of Carter, at this stage.

As for Turkoglu, that's where I wonder. His contract is bad, and though I expect some revival of his career, I don't expect him to beast like he did in the past in Orlando. I'm not quite as sure about Arenas...he'll be better now that he doesn't have Wall hovering over him and he doesn't have to act like a model citizen, but I'm not quite sure he's going to Agent Zero again. I think those days are behind him.
Agent Zero's best days are behind him, no question. But he's still an explosive scorer that can take over games (at times). He's putting up good numbers on an awful team he doesn't want to be on. His percentages will rise. What he, and JRich, do is they take the pressure off of D12. Carter, and especially Lewis, were making it impossible for D12. Much like when Dirk has been doubled in the past, and we could only watch as JHo and crew. bricked open jumpers, this is what was happening to D12.

Lewis is a terrible basketball player these days. He shouldn't even be starting. Carter still has once in a blue moon games, but he doesn't bring it night in and out at a high level like JRich.

JRich and Arenas are really going to thrive in Orlando, I think. Also, Arenas is a pretty good facilitator, as is Hedo, so they can get more movement and passing going than with Lewis (he either shoots or he doesn't....he's not creating for anyone).

Turk has a junk contract...but Lewis' was worse. Like I said, it's fantastic for a win now move.

Last edited by CadBane; 12-18-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #45
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agent Zero's best days are behind him, no question. But he's still an explosive scorer that can take over games (at times). He's putting up good numbers on an awful team he doesn't want to be on. His percentages will rise. What he, and JRich, do is they take the pressure off of D12. Carter, and especially Lewis, were making it impossible for D12. Much like when Dirk has been doubled in the past, and we could only watch as JHo and crew. bricked open jumpers, this is what was happening to D12.

Lewis is a terrible basketball player these days. He shouldn't even be starting. Carter still has once in a blue moon games, but he doesn't bring it night in and out at a high level like JRich.

JRich and Arenas are really going to thrive in Orlando, I think. Also, Arenas is a pretty good facilitator, as is Hedo, so they can get more movement and passing going than with Lewis (he either shoots or he doesn't....he's not creating for anyone).

Turk has a junk contract...but Lewis' was worse. Like I said, it's fantastic for a win now move.
I agree with pretty much all of this. These moves make Orlando much better, at least in the short term. I still don't think they become the favorites in the East, but its them, Boston, and Miami, and you can feel free to rank them however you want. I think putting Orlando #1 is wrong, but I'll admit its quite close and doesn't really bother me if they are that high.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #46
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Arenas' contract is quite possibly the worst in basketball. Let's not forget that.

It's a win now move. I would even call is a desperation move. If it doesn't work this season they are screwed. They cashed in all of their assets for this deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #47
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Arenas' contract is quite possibly the worst in basketball. Let's not forget that.

It's a win now move. I would even call is a desperation move. If it doesn't work this season they are screwed. They cashed in all of their assets for this deal.
Dead on.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #48
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the Magic and Bullets just swapped the two most untradeable contracts in the league.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #49
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

JRich is also an expiring so it's a wash money-wise with Vince but they come out ahead on talent.

They are taking on loads of money in Hedo and Arenas but they also got ride of Gortat (who is an asset and is probably undervalued but expensive at 15mpg) and Shard (due 45M). Pietrus has a 5M player option next year he might want to take as well.

They definitely added salary but not as bad as it seems IMO.

EDIT:
- Turk has about 33M due after this season if he takes his fat player option. Gortat has about 21M due after this season. Net: 12M+ for a guy who will possibly play 2x the minutes.
- Gilbert is due 60M yes but that's "only" 15M more than Rashard Lewis. Good chunk of change but Gilbert could use a change of scenery and is working off rust, etc. while Rashard seems to be in a freefall.
- Vince is actually guaranteed 4M next year and Pietrus will probably take his 5M option so that's 9M in savings. Rookie deal may be worth 6M while Clark is an expiring. This math works out to a savings of about 14-15M in the Magic's favor.

The uptick in talent and potential is worth the cost after you work out the math IMO.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 12-18-2010 at 06:59 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

With Arenas, you're considering that the improvement actually comes...it's incredibly optimistic to think that way.

He's become arguably the most untrustworthy person there is in the league. That contract is likely only to get worse as time wears on.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #51
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
With Arenas, you're considering that the improvement actually comes...it's incredibly optimistic to think that way.

He's become arguably the most untrustworthy person there is in the league. That contract is likely only to get worse as time wears on.
Atleast there is potential. With corpse formerly known as Rashard Lewis, it is a sure death.

They are banking on Gilbert turning it around and Hedo rediscovering his (Orlando) Magic to make this worthwhile but as a team, their prospects are brighter than when they were trying to squeeze drops of production out of the remains of Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis.

Then there is also JRich who is probably the best player of both deals.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #52
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Atleast there is potential. With corpse formerly known as Rashard Lewis, it is a sure death.

They are banking on Gilbert turning it around and Hedo rediscovering his (Orlando) Magic to make this worthwhile but as a team, their prospects are brighter than when they were trying to squeeze drops of production out of the remains of Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis.

Then there is also JRich who is probably the best player of both deals.
I would consider it blind faith rather than potential. I understand the need to make the moves, it doesn't mean that it's going to work out.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #53
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas is a turnover machine and an inefficient volume scorer. He never was as good as his reputation, and he's far worse now. He, Richardson and Turk are all weaknesses on the defensive end, and with the loss of Gortat Orlando is now a small team and very short on interior defenders to cover up for them. They're clearly hoping that Richardson and Turkoglu's ability to shoot the three-ball will make up for that, and I'm sure they'll have stretches where that hope will bear out, but I don't see their new roster having much of a chance against a healthy Boston squad, and to my mind they're now disturbingly vulnerable to the foul-drawing prowess of the Heat.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #54
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

The real winner of the trade:
The Super Lakers of course. They always win.

"Kobe, you're a married man. Stop giving autographs to pretty white teenage girls in hotel rooms"
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #55
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

SVG just said Jameer will not come off the bench. One of the new three will.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #56
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. Arenas may be their most talented player on the team and I just think its a disservice to have him at the 2 with Nelson in the game. Jameer needs to come off the bench and give them that much needed spark their second unit will need.
'
Quote:
Agree on Hedo. But as I've pointed out, they don't need (or want) pre-Phoenix (actually pre-Charlotte) JRich. JRich has been fantastic the past 4 years and he's an infinitely superior shooter than he ever was in GS.
Well J Rich is more of a shooter now and maybe its due to age since he's getting older but I would prefer the J Rich who attacked the basket and shot well from the perimeter.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #57
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix is done..By the time they have anything to rebuild..nashie will be retired...Pretty interesting how tough it is to stay competitive. Lakers, Spurs, Mavs have done it in the west...

No one's really done it in the east in the last decade.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #58
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I would consider it blind faith rather than potential. I understand the need to make the moves, it doesn't mean that it's going to work out.
I think Arenas will play better in Orlando than in Washington.

He's never played for a contending team before and will have a bit of a comfort zone with Otis and JRich around.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #59
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

am i the only one who thinks this trade makes orlando even worse? i bet we destroy them on tuesday

sucks for jrich and hedo, they get two experience two mavs beatdowns on two different teams in a span of 4 days

Last edited by xrobx; 12-18-2010 at 09:07 PM.
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. Arenas may be their most talented player on the team and I just think its a disservice to have him at the 2 with Nelson in the game. Jameer needs to come off the bench and give them that much needed spark their second unit will need.
'
Why would you have the team's best point guard come off the bench?

The degree to which you're overrating Arenas is stunning. He might be their most talented player? Seriously?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-18-2010 at 09:28 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #61
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
who knows. our best shooting guard comes off the bench
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #62
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But how valuable were those assets? Vince was a huge expiring but it seems like every team in the league has either a big expiring or a TE so those have kind of been devalued. Plus they got one back in Richardson. I think Gortat was the only real asset. An ok to pretty good center on a reasonable contract. From a talent standpoint Richardson is a pretty good return for that asset. Then of course there's the outside chance that either Hedo or Gil could hit.

It was a desperation move but they were desperate. I wouldn't be willing to gamble a year of Howard's prime on the hope the Vince or Lewis would improve.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #63
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, it may not make basketball sense, but Jameer has been with the team with years, so you've got to stay loyal to him. I don't know how much of a leader or influence he is, but he's got to have some influence with his teammates, and benching him would just piss him off. He's not a weakness at the 1, so I think this is the only option SVG had. If Arenas starts playing well and Nelson goes through some struggles, he may be able to make that change, but not until then.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #64
BGMaverick9
Guru

Jalen Rose said it best: If Arenas is playing well, you give him minutes. If he's not playing well, you give him a seat next to the coach. It needs to be a tight leash.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #65
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Yeah, it may not make basketball sense, but Jameer has been with the team with years, so you've got to stay loyal to him. I don't know how much of a leader or influence he is, but he's got to have some influence with his teammates, and benching him would just piss him off. He's not a weakness at the 1, so I think this is the only option SVG had. If Arenas starts playing well and Nelson goes through some struggles, he may be able to make that change, but not until then.
I think it makes perfect basketball sense. Nelson is a better point guard than Arenas.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #66
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

The degree to which you're overrating Arenas is stunning. He might be their most talented player? Seriously?
There's not a player on that team that has all the tools Arenas has in his game. He can post up, rebounds well, passes well, solid defender....there's not a more well rounded player on the team. Maybe i'm overrating him. But I do know that when Arenas was healthy in this league he was one of the best players in this league. Now he's playing with a dominant big men and role players like JR, Hedo and Jameer.

As far as why would you have the teams best point guard off the bench? Its simple. Arenas is having a okay year for his standards and he's still outplaying Jameer Nelson despite playing out of position on a bad team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #67
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Arenas wasn't the most talented player in Washington.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #68
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it is only me, but our Florida trip doesn't look that scary out of the sudden?
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #69
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
There's not a player on that team that has all the tools Arenas has in his game. He can post up, rebounds well, passes well, solid defender....there's not a more well rounded player on the team. Maybe i'm overrating him. But I do know that when Arenas was healthy in this league he was one of the best players in this league. Now he's playing with a dominant big men and role players like JR, Hedo and Jameer.

As far as why would you have the teams best point guard off the bench? Its simple. Arenas is having a okay year for his standards and he's still outplaying Jameer Nelson despite playing out of position on a bad team.
Outside of points per game there's not much that Arenas is doing better than Nelson. And when adjust for minutes even that's pretty much a wash (Arenas is averaging one more point per 36 minutes). Other than than Nelson has a better fg%, a better 3fg%, averages almost three more assists per 36 minutes, turns the ball over less and, believe it or not, averages more rebounds per 36 (in fairness it's a virtual tie but the fact that it's even close doesn't say much for Arenas in that area).

At this point in his career he's probably best suited for a Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford type role.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #70
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if the trades push Orlando over the top, but you have to give them credit. It's a gutsy pair of moves.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #71
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think Arenas is a real roll of the dice. A lot like Sheed was for Detroit. Real talented but a knucklehead. He straightens out and you've got something, not...well not.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #72
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Gortat goes to PHX this is big step in his career!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #73
dude1394
Guru

Getting out from under that lying stinker Otis is bound to be good for his career.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #74
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I never forget 2009-2010 offseason.Marcin wants play for Dallas and Otis destroyed his dream.

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #75
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty stunned anybody would say this trade makes Orlando "the favorite."

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #76
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ... did somebody say desperation?

I really somehow missed that recent losing streak, but the numbers clearly don't justify such a major swap. They still were one of the best defensive teams, best in defensive rebounding (%) and 6th best regarding point differential. Their offense wasn't as effective as last season, but after going 15-4 the bulk of losses came on the road against teams with a combined home-record of 39-16 (.709). I mean ... that can happen!

Now they lost a real solid backup center and got three players (Arenas, Q-Rich and Hedo), which have been on a decline for quite some time and so you just hope that at least one and a half of them will pick up their play from a few years ago? I don't get it. I see them nowhere near Boston or Miami unless a few things work out perfectly. Add this: Who will play defense in Orlando now?
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #77
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Good move for Marcin, because he definitely will be in S5. Now he will play more minutes and will show his efficiency.
Hedo, Arenas? It's not 2007, it's 2010. No way Arenas as first PG in ORL. He won't reborn, and I doubt Hedo will.
Better deal for PHO. End of playing small ball all the time.
I don't know Hedo will fit really good as PF. So ORL with only one C (Howard) and short PF (Bass). Howard fouled out, and they're done. BOS smash them.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #78
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Wow ... did somebody say desperation?

I really somehow missed that recent losing streak, but the numbers clearly don't justify such a major swap. They still were one of the best defensive teams, best in defensive rebounding (%) and 6th best regarding point differential. Their offense wasn't as effective as last season, but after going 15-4 the bulk of losses came on the road against teams with a combined home-record of 39-16 (.709). I mean ... that can happen!
If you're Otis Smith you can't look at this season in a vacuum. You also have to consider the fact that your team wasn't good enough to beat Boston last year and they're even better this year. You also have have to think that by the end of the season the Heat will be better than Lebron's Cavs.

The Magic will always be a good rebounding team with Dwight Howard but they're regressing offensively despite the fact that Howard has become an offensive threat. The two main culprits: Lewis and Carter. Do you really want to gamble a year of Howard's prime on the hope that those two are going to suddenly find it?

They were going to have to make a desperation move at some point to have any chance of competing in the East. Doing it early gives them more time to integrate the new pieces.

Now they lost a real solid backup center and got three players (Arenas, Q-Rich and Hedo), which have been on a decline for quite some time and so you just hope that at least one and a half of them will pick up their play from a few years ago? I don't get it. I see them nowhere near Boston or Miami unless a few things work out perfectly. Add this: Who will play defense in Orlando now?[/QUOTE]

J-Rich is not in decline. If anything he's on an incline this year.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #79
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I think it makes perfect basketball sense. Nelson is a better point guard than Arenas.
This. Anyone arguing Arenas should start over Jameer is bonkers.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #80
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I'm pretty stunned anybody would say this trade makes Orlando "the favorite."
In the East. Some had them as the favorite before the trade. I'm pretty stunned that you're stunned by such a well perceived notion.