Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-23-2001, 05:47 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on another board the other night, but figured it would be a good way to start things off here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

First of all, Thomas never suited up so how can anyone say he was our top rookie? As for Alexander, the kid's definitely got hops, and he'll almost certainly be a good player, but there's no way he was going to get any mins playing behind Finley. Also, he brought a lot of energy each time he got to play, but he also shot bricks over half the time. Najera's play thus far has clearly made him our top rookie.
Anyway, on to the trade.. Bringing Howard in solves a lot of the Mavs' problems. First of all, he plugs in the gaping hole at sf. Secondly, he brings BOTH scoring and rebounding to the mix. 18.2ppg and 7rpg is quite significant. Plus add in the fact that he doesn't have the pressure of being the team's number one scoring option. He'll be the third or maybe even fourth option here. That makes for an incredibly deadly starting lineup that can score and hit the boards.

In gaining Howard, we lose Laettner. However, we also gain Calvin Booth. As much as I like Laettner, it's still obvious that he's not meant to play center. He's naturally a forward and it becomes incredibly obvious when he's forced to play against the Shaqs and Robinsons in the league. Booth is a true center who gets 4.5pts and 4.4rebs in only 16mins a game. Granted I'd rather the Wiz had packaged Jahidi White, but Booth is still someone who can help the Mavs.

As for the Mavs' losses.. Like I said before, Thomas has never suited up so it's unclear how good (or bad) he really is. Besides, with Dirk emerging as this team's pf, and Trent starting to get his groove back, there's little room for Thomas. Let's also not forget Harvey, our still-developing yet incredibly promising pf of the future. Vaught and Davis were just rotting on the bench. I loved Vaught's hustle, and Davis' attitude, but they're clearly expendable. With Trent and Dirk at pf, Vaught's nothing more then a bench cheerleader. Davis has been incredibly inconsistent this year, but now that Buck's back, he was playing behind Finley/Nash/Eisley/Buckner. Throw in a now-healthy Najera at sf, and there's even less room for a guard like Hubie. I already stated reasons for trading Alexander and Laettner (one was a disgruntled sg who couldn't shoot AND had to play behind the mins-leading Finley, while the other was a power forward forced to play out of position).

So in the end, the Mavs add a solid 18.2ppg/7.0rpg sf to an already potent starting lineup while replacing Laettner with a natural center. Ekezie is just filler, and I don't expect much from him. I only consider the Mavs losing four players, since I've never seen Thomas play, nor have I had any expectations of him (since I like having Dirk/Trent at pf). Vaught, Hubie, and Alexander hardly played and had trouble cracking the rotation. Say what you like, but none of those players (except for Laettner) were really helping the team. You could make a case for Alexander, citing his POTENTIAL, but as it is, none of those guys can help this team as much as Howard, who's already proven throughout his career to be a solid player capable of putting up good numbers night in and night out.

This trade took place based on the team's needs. Plain and simple. We don't need quality third and fourth-string guard/forwards (some of whom with potential)..we needed a sf, another consistent scoring option, someone who could help Dirk hit the boards, a true backup center, etc. And that's exactly what we got.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2001, 06:53 PM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Great trade for us. Alexander will blossom into a nice young player for the Wizards....other than that, the only guy I'm going to miss is Davis. What we got in return was well worth it.
Old 02-23-2001, 07:15 PM   #3
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

It is good to see the boards up...As for Hloward, well, I want to see him against the Spurs...
Old 02-23-2001, 07:17 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to miss Vaught and Hubie the most. So much for starting up the Dallas chapter of the Loy Vaught Fan Club [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2001, 07:18 PM   #5
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

I would hope that you could start up a Juwan Howard the Mav fan club if he can average 18 ppg...
Old 02-23-2001, 07:25 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Thomas will be the toughest lose IMO. Just watch. Overall, I'm liking the trade.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2001, 07:49 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

I don't mind losing Thomas since our pf prospect has always been Harvey. With Dirk and Trent manning the pf position, I doubt Thomas would have gotten much pt anyway (much like Alexander having to play behind Fin/Eisley/Buck).
Old 02-23-2001, 07:53 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

But I looked at Thomas as our future starting center. In the same mold as Alonzo Morning. Not quite as good but...

Old 02-23-2001, 08:00 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

I've never seen him play so I really can't say whether or not he would have helped us. I just know that you gotta give something to get something, and I'd much rather give up a rookie (playing a position we're already loaded at) who hasn't proven anything yet.

I'm also pretty excited about seeing Booth in action, a soph who's already proven to be a capable center/shot blocker.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:02 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, I'm excited about Booth too.

Old 02-23-2001, 09:16 PM   #11
Hales233
Golden Member

I saw Thomas play at Syracuse. He is an excellent shot blocker, and can rebound with the best of them. He is really put together physically.
Old 02-23-2001, 10:29 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the trade. A lineup of Bradley-c, Howard-pf, Dirk-sf, Finley-sg and Nash-pg is pretty darn impressive, imo. I don't think we really gave anything up. Vaught wasn't detrimental to the team but liked the guy. Laettner played decent for having to play out of position but was in foul trouble too much. Davis isn't the same this year. Seemed to be in a funk and was a defensive liability. Will miss his leadership though. Thomas, thought he would be something for us inside but that injury prevented him from showing us what he was about. We wanted something to help us in this last stretch and into the playoffs. Alexander may be a star in this league or the next Larry Hughes. He couldn't fit into Nelsons system and 2 guards are easy to pick up. Must of been frustrated with no playing time but I wish him well.

We get a guy in Howard that is averaging 18pts (47.4%) 7rbs and 2.9as in only 36 minutes of play. And it's not like he is going to take shots away from the big 3 really, he only averages 15 right now. He isn't here to be the man and is actually better when he isn't. He has a low post game and plays well with his back to the basket. His contract is a pain but we were over the cap and Cuban doesn't care about little things like that Im really excited about Booth too. This guy reminds me of Ratliff. 40 games, 16mpg (44%), 4.5ppg, 4.4rbg and 2bpg. Can you imagine what he can do in 10 extra minutes? I actually like him more than White DJ. He is more athletic has more upside. Im not familiar with Ekezie and not sure if he's someone the Mavs will keep. He just hasn't found his niche with a team yet. Could it be here? Maybe. I didn't realize how big this guy is. We'll have to see about him.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2001, 11:58 AM   #13
Hales233
Golden Member

the more i think about this trade, the more i love it...Go Mavs!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 01:00 PM   #14
Sonny Koufax

Sonny Koufax is on a distinguished road

I love this trade. We have four All-star caliber starters on this team.
Sonny Koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2001, 01:28 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

Here's a recent Washington Post article someone posted over at LMF talking about Howard and Booth's improved play this season.

Link: For Howard, From Jeers To Cheers
Old 02-24-2001, 01:30 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

Oh and welcome to the board Sonny Koufax [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2001, 01:43 PM   #17
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, it said in the DMN that Booth leads the NBA in blocks per minute. Like MavsFanFinley said, if you average his stats out over 25-26 minutes there very impressive.

Welcome to the board Sonny Koufax [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Old 02-26-2001, 02:24 PM   #18
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

When does Hubert's contract expire??
Old 02-26-2001, 02:30 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

2003 with a team option for 2004 and 2005.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:03 PM   #20
mackdaddy

mackdaddy is on a distinguished road

This trade sucked for the Mavs! Have they won a game since they've got Juwan? No! And its going to be like that for awhile. Not only are the Mavs going to suck this season, but probably a few more seasons. They traded their top 2 choices of the draft this year. That alone was stupid enough, but then they traded away dependable scorers like Hubert Davis and Laettner. Now I'm convinced that Cuban is on crack. Juwan's salary is way to much for what he does. He's not an all-star, he's just a slightly-above average player. They gave up way to much to get him.
Not only that, but they disrupted team chemistry. That is going to be very important down the strech when the Mavs make a playoff run, which looks like is not going to happen.
Now they have to worry about the salary-cap as well. I don't see this helping out the Mavs at all. Enjoy yet another long off-season.

-Mackdaddy
mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2001, 08:25 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

Juwan's only played in one game so far, mackdaddy. So just chill out and enjoy the ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2001, 05:51 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Was reading some old posts and I thought I would bring this back to remind people of their thoughts when the trade first happened. Whatever happened to MackDaddy?