Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-13-2001, 07:53 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hell the board was down.
Now it´s up again, I check, and there is no thread about what Dirk did yesterday?
Well I had to make one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
That was just so awesome when Porter nocked his tooth out and he immediatly ran to the locker for treatment so he wouldn´t miss any gametime. Man others would have fallen to the floor, start crying or arguing. Not Dirk he was so focused he just didn´t lose time. And then he stood there with his still bloodie mouth, hitting those clutch FT. I guess he was just showing all his hart there, and that he doesn´t fear anything. Gosh I really loved that.
And don´t dare anyone to say that Dirk was soft again.

This is not a thread to start arguing about Dirk/Finley and who´s better etc. again.
I just wanted to express my feelings on what happened yesterday. That was huge, and I have even more respect for Dirk now (I think the same goes for other people around the league).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2001, 08:05 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk was incredible! Without him (or Finley or Nash), we wouldn't have won. He definitely proved that not all European players are soft.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 09:03 PM   #3
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Dirk is outstanding.
Old 05-13-2001, 09:05 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I agree, Dirk played great in game 4. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 10:04 PM   #5
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Dirk is a future star in this league. Not only is he truely gifted and tall, he has a competitive demeanor and refuses to lose. I feel lucky to have a player of that caliber playing for the Mavs.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 11:34 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

and he's tall for his age, which is still 22
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:17 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Fidel, I don't think I've read anyone say Dirk is soft. If they did, they're stupid. I think I've heard people say we need a dominant low post presence and people believe that's he's the closest we have to that right now. (Despite the fact we have Juwan Howard) Personally I believe he could be much more dominant if he did take his person in the low post because very rarely will he get an matchup of someone his size.

Although, I agree, I loved that too when he ran back on the court. I don't know if you saw but Juwan must have said a little joke about it because he looked at him and said he's alright and smiled and his mouth was bloody with that missing toothe. He looked ridiculous but you got to love the guy for even being out there.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:01 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The Kid
you missunderstood me there, of course no one on this board said Dirk was soft. But alot of the so called "experts" on espn.com and other sites said so, and of course alot of guys on nbatalk (remember Sportsologist? hahaha).
Also some players contestet Dirks toughness throughout the season (Malone i.E.). I think thats a big part of the game: to get into someones head, to contest his mentality. Especially when dealing with european players who often have great basketball skill, thats the first thing to do, to challange them on a mental basis. Now thats why I think what happened in the last game was vital to Dirks developement, cause now other guys around the league know that he is really tough.
Old 05-14-2001, 01:11 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Also The Kid,
I don´t think Dirk will ever be considered as a true low post presence. He´s different. I think he´ll be a SF who can do it all, from playing the point to center. And the quallity he showed last game, the refuse to lose mentallity, is just something very special. It´s something that not many players truly have, although they would say so.
This mentallity is just there, regardeless of the position Dirk plays, and I think thats the point where you can compare Dirk to Bird. Bird also was unorthodox and not the most polished in many aspects of his game (Barkley is another example) but he overcame this through his mental approach and just made things happen.
Maybe that went a little to far here, but that were just my thoughts on this. I guess thats exactly why I (and others) are fascinated by Dirk and root for him. He´s just different, or better: special.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:47 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dirk doesn't have to have a great low post game.
the fact that he can shoot from the outside and drive, if you add a good low post game, he'll be nearly unstoppable.
if you add a good low post game, even when he's off on his jumpshot, he could still put up games where he scores 30 points because of a good low post game, the ability to drive and get to the free throw line.

yes, some comparisons to bird are in order, but a few things....
dirk is a better athlete, and may have the better physical potential.
but, regardless whether or not dirk is the best pure shooter in the nba right now as many basketball experts have claimed, he's not as good of a shooter as bird. and bird knew the game, he studied the game, he loved the game.
dirk has alot of the same intangibles, it will be interesting to continue to watch dirk develop.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:03 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Nash and Dirk will always get the unfair comparison. Nash to Stockton, Dirk to Bird. How fair is it for either of the Mavs to get compared to Hall of Famers? Both of our guys are youngsters who are getting compared to a pair of the best players ever. The only reason they get this treatment is skin color. Nash is less like Stockton than half the point guards in the league. Dirk's game has little similarity to Bird. Hopefully they will develop their own reputations soon.
Old 05-14-2001, 06:21 PM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

MFFL, I agree with you, they will get many comparisons, however there's nothing wrong with that. Atleast they're comparing Nash to Stockton instead of comparing him to players such as Hurley.

Also Fidel OK, I see where you're coming from. I think it's pretty retarded to say the man is soft, I don't care how many "basketballologist" may think he is. The first game against Utah, I said to myself, "this guy is for real." I understand his game is primarily based on his versatility, but if he becomes the primary low post player and develops some McHale lowpost moves on top of his outside game, he'll truly be unstoppable.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:25 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

MFFL
what I meant was not to compare Dirks game to Birds. I wanted to compare their mental approach. I think they both are/were fearless, they were/are absolutely into the game of basketball, they were/are willing to learn and practice. And they were/are just unique. I think Dirk has a unique game that no one else has (that doesn´t mean he´s the gratest or any BS like that), and the same goes for Bird, he was also very special. So I think that´s the part where you can compare them. That´s why I think that developing a low-post game would definitly help Dirk in becoming a better player, but the most important aspect of his game, of which he will feed off in every other aspect, will be his mental approach.
Other players just come from the other side, they have all the athletic gifts, but lack the mental. Dirk also has physical gifts (mostly being 7 foot tall) but his refuse to lose attitude is what will make him one of the best. (Not saying that he is allready anything near Bird). Also I think when comparing Dirk to Bird that doesn´t necessarily mean any BS like "He´s the second coming of Bird" etc. He will make his own name and still be compared to other players.

For Nash I think he will have a long way to go to deserve a comparision with Stockton.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:23 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

That approach you mention is not unique to Dirk. A lot of players (white and black) have it. To compare Dirk to Bird in any way is like comparing any aspect of Finley's game to Jordan. It isn't fair. Don't get me wrong, I love Dirk's potential. He may become the greatest player in Maverick history. But I just don't like comparing him to Bird - it just isn't comfortable for me.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:33 PM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yeah,
but I didn´t compare their games, just mentallity.
Plus: who else has it? KG, Stockton and Malone, Zo, Duncan perhaps, I don´t mean just being focused on games but the whole package. I may be wrong on that one though, it´s mostly speculation and you never know.
Oh and it´s definitily not about black and white here.
Old 05-14-2001, 08:39 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

I not going to take a shot at Dirk here because he is very focused in his approach to the game. Probably the best on the Mavericks. However the players you mentioned are better mentally because of their defensive intensity and their court sense. Dirk needs to develop a lot before he can be compared with Malone or Duncan. But he has the ability to do it.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:03 PM   #17
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yeah maybe you´re right and I got a little carried away here.
I just like the guy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2001, 08:55 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

comparing bird to dirk defensively might be the best place to start.
a definite place where dirk could easily have the advantage in a year or two.

i don't think anyone is saying that dirk is as good or will be as good as bird. just that their are similarities, and their's nothing wrong with that.
but finley and jordan have one thing in common, they both shot the turnaround jumpshot from 18-19 feet out.
that's where it ends.