Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-14-2001, 12:42 PM   #41
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You only think that because you disagree with it. You think Booth was something Nelson really was looking for and wanted, I personally feel he wasn't looking for Booth and something good fell into his lap. He was the only other player that fit into the salary category and he was big. If there was another player there in Washington that fit into that mold, whose to say that Nelson wouldn't have taken that other player instead. So my point being, Booth was never a HIGH PRIORITY of Nelson's. What I'm trying to say is, if we weren't interested in Howard, we would have NEVER acquired or even thought about Booth. NEVER! If that never happened, this discussion wouldn't even be taking place right now. So why even dispute the fact that he was a throw in, something we were very fortunate to come across.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:48 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

would the mavericks have made the trade to washington without getting booth or jahidi white?
NO!!!!!
therefore, they are not throw-ins
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:18 PM   #43
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Hey Murph... I think he is saying that we couldnt have made the trade if they were not thrown in. Salary Cap issues would have prevented it. So maybe Booth was thrown is as that extra player to sweeten the deal. maybe we wanted White but ended up with Booth. But either way, the key is that we wanted Howard, and would have accepted either one.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:27 PM   #44
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i know the mavs wanted howard most of all., but they would not have made the trade without booth or white, therefore, booth isn't a throw in.
ekezie, maybe he's a throw in, but not booth.
Old 05-14-2001, 04:38 PM   #45
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

One of the players we got in the Kidd/Finley trade was Sam Cassell. The only reason he was traded was his contract situation. Nellie got here and found out that Sam wanted an ungodly contract or he was going to leave via free agency.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 05:08 PM   #46
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

thank you Gio star, I knew it wasn't that complicated what I was saying.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:46 PM   #47
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Murphy3- I believe you're incorrect about Washington's salary cap position. I believe Cuban did the math and figured that when Juwan's contract expires, Washington will actually have more players on their roster with a higher cumulative salary than Juwan's, so they are in fact a bit worse off in terms of the salary cap and the free agent market. The ONLY way they benefited from this trade was to pick up the young and talented Courtney Alexander and Etan Thomas...
Old 05-14-2001, 08:32 PM   #48
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I liked Alexander, but I wasn't too disappointed in losing either player. This was one of the worst rookie classes in the last 10 years. The Mav took those two players with the 12th and 13th pick in a bad draft. They probably would have been late 1st rounders in a more talented draft class.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:03 PM   #49
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Sacramento Kings' vice president of operations, Geoff Petrie, was selected Monday as the NBA Executive of the Year. Billy King of the Sixers finished second.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:14 PM   #50
MFFL
Guru

What the hell? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2001, 09:58 PM   #51
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm yeah second for destroying the sixers future, that makes sense.
Even if the sixers reach the finals they will be swept there.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:15 PM   #52
MFFL
Guru

dj - did Nellie get any votes? I haven't seen an article on it yet.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:17 PM   #53
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the article. It only mentions Petrie receiving nine votes and King receiving six.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 10:49 PM   #54
MFFL
Guru

According to the Sporting News, MARK CUBAN got 4 votes! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/arti...14/316725.html
Old 05-15-2001, 08:39 AM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

i know the wizards may have the higher payroll than before, but they ARE NOT in a worse position.
they got rid of the one guy that was untradeable because of his contract.
now, they can wheel and deal, they have guys on their roster that can be traded without a miracle occurring
Old 05-15-2001, 08:44 AM   #56
MFFL
Guru

They might have a lighter anchor, but Loy Vaught is still expensive dead weight.
Old 05-15-2001, 09:27 AM   #57
Murphy3
Guru

i do agree, but it is a much lighter anchor