Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-09-2001, 08:48 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

You know I haven't been hearing much about Don Nelson getting coach of the year this year and I wonder if it's because he left for a while to take care of his cancer problem. I've heard people mention Popavich, Nate McMillan, Larry Brown and Nelson's name I've heard once or twice, however I feel he should be the front runner.

NO ONE anticipated the Mavericks playing this well this year, and as much as we may argue on this board about whose more important, this team has been built by Nelson and the development of the players has been by Nelson. I think he should be the COACH OF THE YEAR!! Does anyone agree?
Old 04-09-2001, 09:14 AM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Kid...I'm with you....either him, Adelman, or Brown...but I'd give the edge to Don!!!
Old 04-09-2001, 09:23 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

Oh yeah, I've heard Adelman's name too. However I'm more in favor of Don though. I don't think I'm being biast either. Dallas was expected to make the playoffs in the 8th spot if they were lucky. Now they're in the running to have home court advantage through the first round of the playoffs. HE DEFINATELY needs to get coach of the year.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:51 AM   #4
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I agree that he should AT LEAST be nominated. I think Nelson image as a "clown coach" really puts him at a disadvantage. I find it extremely interesting to see some of his "questionable" strategies being used by other teams. The infamous hack-a-shack being used by Doc Rivers after he said that he wouldn't ever do that. With teams not having true centers to match up against Shaq, you see more small ball with 3 or more guards.

I'll admit that I've not been a big fan of Nelson, even wishing Cuban would have sent him packing when he bought the team. But, it's almost like Nelson is really redifining the game. Like he making people look at it differently that the *traditional* 2 guard, 2 forward, 1 center set.

Is there a list of nominees for COY or do people just pick one? And who does the actual voting? I'm pretty sure it is the sports writers, but who else?
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 11:38 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm pretty sure it's sportswriters, but I was listening to this talk show this weekend that was talking about all of the candidates and they talked about all those other coaches and finally one of the guys said, "what about Don Nelson?" That's what made me think of it.

I asked that once before on this board, I know there were people when Cuban first came who wanted to get rid of Nelson, but there seems to be far less talk of that around Dallas lately.
Old 04-09-2001, 10:27 PM   #6
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I agree that Nelson has done a great job turning this team around as head coach, but he's also a great GM. He has a wonderful nose for talent and seems to find it in places that others over look.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:10 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody get your votes in.

Who will be coach of the year?

Executive of the year?

MVP?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 12:20 AM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Coach of the Year: Larry Brown
Executive of the Year: Michael Jordan
MVP: Bid Daddy Shaq

I don't agree with the first two but you just KNOW the league is going to overlook Nellie and go for the more conventional choices.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 09:09 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

I really don't think Jordan should get executive of the year. If anyone would get it I would think Pat Croce should get it or Don Nelson.
Old 05-11-2001, 09:35 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

jordan unloaded juwan's contract, that alone should get him executive of the year
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 10:46 AM   #11
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Croce should get it because I think he really tinkered too much with the team by trading for Deke. Of course if they win it all, then I'll change my mind [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I REALLY don't think Jordan should get it, but that's probably what the public wants.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 10:49 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

personally, that's one award i could care less about
Old 05-11-2001, 11:00 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

To be honest NELLIE should get coach and GM of the year!!! Hell he built this team, people said he was crazy (me included) for bring Dirk here. He looks like a genius now! After his Antsey experiment, I thought he was nuts for going that route again. If Wang turns out, this man will be the next Marty Blake.
Old 05-11-2001, 12:37 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

he wouldn't get gm of the year because alot of people around the league thinks that he got the short end of the juwan howard trade
Old 05-11-2001, 02:27 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well they think that but from a record standpoint, that helped the Mavs out. Booth has played well for us and Juwan ended up being one of the teams leading rebounder (which is a joke) and in the last two months he played very well for us compared to how he played in Washington so from a statistical standpoint, we really didn't get shafted in that deal.
Old 05-11-2001, 02:34 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

the jury is still out.
as of this point, i would have to give the edge to washington.
yes, juwan is a slightly better player than laettner, but he's not much of an improvement.
and the mavs are stuck with him.. he will probably be a guy making an obscene amount of money coming off of the bench.

booth, i hope he pans out, but i don't know if he'll ever be strong enough to be an effective player down low.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:27 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

No he never will be a dominant low post presence, but he was a throw in on the trade and he's given major contributions to the Mavs to this point. He wasn't doing ANYTHING with the Wizards. Actually Juwan wasn't doing much with them either. All Jordan did was dump a bunch of salary and if THAT makes him GM of the year, then whoever does the voting is DUMB!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:36 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

like it or not, alot is based on money today.
jordan did a great job finding a sucker that would take on juwan (future sixth man) at that outlandish salary.

yes, i know booth has made some contributions, and i think he can make more in the future.
hopefully, picking up juwan won't be a snake that constantly bites the mavs in the future though

Old 05-11-2001, 03:36 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

and booth wasn't a throw in.
the mavs weren't going to make the trade unless they got booth. that's definitely not a throw in
Old 05-11-2001, 03:59 PM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

All that nonsense about them liking Booth, that was Nellie at his best. They wanted another big guy and he was what they had and his "salary" fit perfectly into the picture. One of the publications in DC said originally Dallas inquired about Jahidi White but the Wizards said, "NO WAY"! Then Booth name came up. Then Nellie started saying all this stuff about how great he thought Booth was, etc. etc. I'm not mad though, I think Booth is great coming off the bench, he needs to improve in some areas, but I like him.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to make Juwan a sixth man. I think they're going to try and MAKE it seem like they got the better end of the deal. In the end we're just going to get stuck with this big ass salary though. I think the guy could be good if used properly. However right now, he's an a below average power forward, atleast since the playoffs have started.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:04 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

howard would be best as a guy coming off of the bench

the only situation i see him starting is if the mavs get a dominating inside presence from the center position.

obviously, the deal wasn't going to get done without jahidi white or a booth. so it's not a throw in.
a throw in is kevin costner in bull durham, the "player to be named later"
Old 05-11-2001, 04:13 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

With the salary cap, you can't just say a player to be named later. What I'm saying is, if they weren't trying to get Juwan, they wouldn't have tried to get Booth or Jahidi, so they're a throw in my eyes.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:17 PM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

i know they can't do that in basketball like they do in baseball. no shit.

however, if the mavs aren't going to make a deal without a big man, whether it was jahidi or calvin, then they are not throw ins.
if that is your definition, then it is wrong
yes, i know juwan was the primary person in the trade.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:19 PM   #24
TheKid
Diamond Member

You just want to try and argue everything I say. If I said the sky was blue, you'd try and tell me, "No, actually it's light blue!"
Old 05-11-2001, 04:19 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

ahh crap. Here we go again.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 04:28 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

no kidding, rob.

arguments all the time.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:29 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

come up with a valid point, and i won't argue.
it's that easy
Old 05-11-2001, 04:48 PM   #28
TheKid
Diamond Member

If you're not Lam, you have to be a brother OR A COUSIN!!!
Old 05-11-2001, 05:26 PM   #29
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

So, Jordan traded a top-ten power forward and a talented young shotblocker for two rookies and three benchwarmers, put his team in a slightly worse salary cap position, and he cut his starting point guard late in the season with no one as a legitimate replacement.

Well, let's make him Executive of the Year!
Old 05-11-2001, 10:03 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Kid - I like most of your opinions, but I have to disagree with you here. If Booth was just a throw in, we could have kept one of the two rookies we traded and thrown in Bryant instead. The salaries match. I think Nellie really wanted Booth and asked about Jahidi to get the Wizards thinking that we wanted Jahidi when we really wanted Booth.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:06 PM   #31
MFFL
Guru

Mavinator - I really think you hit the nail on the head. We traded potential and bench players for an established player at our weakest position. Finally, if Juwan's contract really works the way the paper said it does, we will be able to outbid ANY team for a free agent in two years.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:10 PM   #32
MFFL
Guru

murph stated the mavs weren't going to make the trade unless they got booth. Absolutely! The Mavs looked at Booth and saw potential at a position where they were very weak. Nellie really wanted a chance to get a solid player AND a chance to hit a home run with Booth.
Old 05-12-2001, 07:17 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

actually, washington did a very good job with getting out of long term salary cap trouble by getting rid of juwan. and that in itself is a miracle.
the mavs did get a guy that's probably going to be a sixth man and a guy that's probably going to be a back up center and power forward in the years to come
Old 05-13-2001, 12:04 AM   #34
MFFL
Guru

But one of the players we gave up was the largely useless Loy Vaught. He was earning 6 mil or so as the 12th man. Howard is earning 14 mil, so it's only an upgrade of 8 mil for the 6th man. That's a hell of a deal in my opinion. Especially because the Vaught contract is also for another 2 years and also escalates in value.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:07 PM   #35
TheKid
Diamond Member

Once again we're trying to figure out the psyche of Nelson. All I was doing was stating what the original trade was suppose to be. According to that, we wanted Jahidi White and Washington didn't want to do it. Now we can speculate and say, Nelson really wanted Booth, we can say all this stuff, but facts are the facts. He inquired about White first, if the Wizards say yes, we have White right now.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:39 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

and what's your point?
Old 05-14-2001, 08:50 AM   #37
TheKid
Diamond Member

The point was, Booth was not the focus of the trade, if Nelson didn't want Howard, he wouldn't have wanted or went after Booth. If Jahidi White was available we still wouldn't have Booth. So my point about US getting the better end of the trade (IMO) because Booth was a throw in is my point!
Old 05-14-2001, 09:44 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

well, now your point is changing.
before, it was that booth was a throw in, which is not and was not the case.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:12 AM   #39
TheKid
Diamond Member

IMO, if he's not the focus of the trade then he's a throw in. Maybe for salary cap purposes, or to fill in other needs, but if he's not the focal point of the trade then they're a throw in.

For instance the trade that sent Kidd to Phoenix and Fin to Dallas. I can't even remember all of the players that were involved in it, because those two were the main players in the trade.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:53 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

your definition of a throw in isn't a very good one.