Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-14-2001, 02:50 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Do we see the wheeling and dealing nellie, or do we stand pat and take confidence in our record since aquiring howard and simply give the team more time to gel. If we trade into the first round, Battier and Curry would be fine with me. What would be the best thing the mavs could do in the offseason? The regular season is almost over, so we all know the teams strengths a weaknesses. There are still grumblings that a certain 3 man in Vancover/Anywhere that wants out of the orginization, and it is no secret that the mavs could use him. Add Kobe, Carter, and Baker to the list of already signed but un-happy players. That 4 down in houston wants out if Webber signs. Whatever the mavs do it will be sign and trade, sign and trade. I just don't see much other teams would want that isn't our big 4 save Eisly, Trent ... who packed months ago, and Harvey. I think this will be a critical offseason for the Mavs, especially if we fail to make it to the second round, because next year like it or not we aren't going to surprise anyone, and the excpectations will continue to rise. This team is far from complete as we will all see in the playoffs in one of the rounds. . .
Old 04-14-2001, 03:03 PM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Mitch Richmond and Antonio Davis are as good as Mavs... and if Nellie knows he exists, Jeff Foster is a nice dream...
Old 04-14-2001, 03:08 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

AD has the same agent as Nash and ZhiZhi... Y'all know how long I have gone on about the possibility of Davis coming back to Texas. Howard and Richmond were also supposedly great friends in Washington. And MR would fit the bill perfectly as our backup two guard...
Old 04-14-2001, 03:11 PM   #4
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Actually, I'm not sure AD would love the idea of not only having to play center in Dallas, but maybe not even starting depending on how our big men develop and who else we acquire in the offseason...
Old 04-14-2001, 03:16 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the vexing question of how much we could pay him...
Old 04-14-2001, 03:34 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mitch Richmond (sg), Antonio Davis (c), and Erick Strickland (pg) would all be nice additions. With so many shooters and offensive guns, getting Strick to man the point behind Nash wouldn't be such a bad idea imo. He brings energy, defense, and some wild risktaking (unlike Eisley's cautious play).

The Mavs would once again have the deepest bench in the league, and once again have to worry about distributing minutes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If Davis or some other upgrade is brought in, anyone else think Bradley may be tradebait?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 03:38 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Getting someone to backup Nash is a given. Adding someone like Richmond to provide some depth at the guard position is also a given. But upgrading the center position by acquiring someone like Davis would make either Bradley or Booth expendable. If Booth opts for the Wiz or some other team, than re-signing Bradley would become necessary. But what if Booth decides he wants to stay here?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 03:47 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

Booth is a stud, but I'm not convinced he has more of a future than Bradley does...
Old 04-14-2001, 03:58 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Im the only one who isn't very high on bringing Mitch Richmond in here. The guy is a great player but I thought he was injury-prone. Besides, what would it cost us to get him here?

Now, I would love it, if Nelson/Cuban would bring back Strickland. God, how awesome would we be with Strickland/Buckner backing Nash/Finley? And the good thing about it, is our chances of getting him to come home looks very good.

I think we'll probably stay as we are at the center position. Antonio Davis is headed for Orlando in my mind. I don't know who we could get for Bradley, Eisley and Trent...surely somebody is out there though.
Old 04-14-2001, 03:59 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I am a big fan of Booth, but he does not make Bradley expendable... Booth shouldering the majority of minutes at the five spot would look an awful (emhasize the awful) lot like the Lorenzo Williams era of Mavericks basketball ...
If we lose Bradley, it will be part of a very big deal, that would involve the aquisition of a high profile player...
Old 04-14-2001, 04:05 PM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

I think its amazing that people love Booth and hate Bradley. Booth is a shorter Bradley with a slightly nicer jumpshot, who can't block shots or rebound as well as Bradley can, and who is a heck of a lot more foul-prone... he is not the replacement for the best running 7-6 player in the history of the game...
Old 04-14-2001, 04:07 PM   #12
Mavinator
Golden Member

whoops
Old 04-14-2001, 04:16 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Maybe we should try to bring back Roy Tarpley this Summer...

Tarpley Skull
Old 04-14-2001, 04:19 PM   #14
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Tony Dumas might be just the veteran two guard that we need... Or maybe, since we don't need Bradley anymore, here is another possibility at the center position...

Booth and Meyer could be the answer to all of our pivot woes...
Old 04-14-2001, 08:12 PM   #15
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

"I can't beleive how people can love booth and hate Bradley . . ."

Booth is shorter your right, but Booth is also more consistant, Booth blocks almost as many shots, Booth plays better man on man defense, and Booth has upside and is 7 years younger than Bradley, and oh yeah he isn't trying to sign a maxed out contract. Bradley and Booth is a servicable tandem at center, nothing more nothing less ... I say A.D. and Richmond are too damn old. . . but I would still take A.D., but not Richmond. I think Trent, Eisly, and to a lesser extent Bradley are readily available, but like the evilman said, we will only move Bradley in a big package deal, and that would mandate the signing of A.D.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:48 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

According to Nelson, Booth is what made the Wizards deal go down... As for now, you can expect that Dallas will never again let players go without getting some kind of equity for them (meaning that Trent will either be expensive pivot insurance, or he will be involved in a sign and trade)... Bradley is not a pat answer to the center position, but not to many teams have such answers. We will keep him (unless he is involved in a big deal), and continue to stockpile talent as fast as Nelson and Cuban can aquire it... Even though Bradley has his weak points, he will become even better at doing the things he does well with the rule changes next year...
Old 04-14-2001, 11:14 PM   #17
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nelly find someone over seas to draft.
Old 04-14-2001, 11:19 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Like this guy.

Ognjen Askrabic
Birthdate: 1979
NBA Position: Small Forward
Ht: 6-9
Wt:
European Team: KK FMP Zeleznik
Hometown: Yugoslavia

That's who the Mavs are projected to take with the 42nd pick. According to NBAdraft.net.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2001, 11:42 PM   #19
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

huh...we have had success with other over-seas players. Why not try again?
Old 04-15-2001, 12:46 AM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Evilmav, Booth can make Bradley expendable, but we will have to get something in return obviously. It depends on what Nelson wants to do though. They were wanting to get a small forward in here before the trade deadline but the Sonics were asking for too much, which lead to the Howard/Booth trade. I know the Mavs were wanting Rashard Lewis (not sure who else was involved) but the Sonics were asking for both Bradley and Laettner. Whatever. If we were to get a legit sf in here, I figure Nelson is planning on having Dirk play center. That would be Dirk and Booth at center, but I think they would have to pick up a 3rd guy, might not be a big name but still somebody. A 3-team deal, maybe? Wang is still out but could be another possiblity there. And if we could pick Strickland up, we could be set.

Im sure Nelson and Cuban are already looking for something.
Old 04-15-2001, 12:42 PM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs have one monsterous shotblocking presence in Bradley, and one pretty damn good shotblocker in Booth. It would be unfair to mess with this tandem considering the rule changes going into effect next year. Effective shotblockers could wind up being an incredible commodity. And as for them not being good one-on-one defenders - it won't mean a damn thing next year. I think Nelson picked up Booth and kept Bradley with these rule changes in mind. To think that he's going to trade Bradley in the off-season is ridiculous.

What will happen is the aquisition of a scoring 2-guard that can play point. Trent will leave in a sign and trade, but I doubt we will deal for Antonio Davis.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 12:43 PM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The Mavs will draft a foreign player in the draft - his name is Kaspar Kambala.
Old 04-15-2001, 01:43 PM   #23
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Are you being serious? If you are, do you know any of his stats or where he is from?
Old 04-15-2001, 03:02 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

Dependable means of offensive production ... Refined repertoire in the low post ...Physical scorer, will give his defenders a bump or push off with his non-shooting hand to create spacing ... Excellent finisher within ten feet ... Effective on lean-ins ... Fine hook shot rolling into the middle ... Elevates into his shot quickly off the feed so as to avoid the double team ... Uses ball fakes on the perimeter to open up the driving lane... Rarely passes out of the post ... Doesn't always challenge on the defensive end, but the upside to this is that he rarely gets into foul trouble ... Does excellent damage on the defensive boards, he is rock solid in his positioning and holds off opponents well with his lower body strength ... Not quite as productive on the defensive glass as he lacks the slipperiness to get position in traffic when he doesn't have the initial positioning ... Native of Latvia ... Tour cartilage in his knee causing him to miss the end of his sophomore season ... Barring another injury, is widely considered a lock to be a first round draft pick.
Old 04-15-2001, 03:07 PM   #25
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

you guys are crazy if you think the mavs are actually going to wait and pick 42nd, the pick will either be traded or we will move up in the draft...some shit is going down. I think the 3 spot is the one we can most easily upgrade, and we can't give up on eisly after completely changing his game, besides like it or not he has shown flashes of brilliance, plus he is younger than Richmond and already signed. However, if we move Eisly we will definately look at Richmond for the one year midlevel exception, if Eisly stays we will bring in a 3 man or defensive 4 or 5. . . like a said if houston signs Webber, we should swipe there 4 man, he is good, young, and a low post scoring threat and defender as we have seen time and time again during our struggles against houston. I think the starting line-up will be exactly the same. depending on who starts at 5. I still say sign A.D. (if he doesn't go to Orlando), and try and swindle Penny from the Suns for next to nothing. The only thing we could lose in the Penny deal would be a roster spot, the benifits would be tremedous...we did it with Vaught, tried to with Trent, ladies and gents. A. Hardaway for the back-up point position!!!!!
Old 04-15-2001, 03:11 PM   #26
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Wow...I'm impressed. You've really done your homework![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2001, 04:09 PM   #27
Mavinator
Golden Member

DeSagana Diop is coming to Dallas...
Old 04-15-2001, 04:30 PM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

Sadly it looks as though Diop has played his way out of a future with the Mavs. I don't think the Mavs are willing to part with what it would take to move up to get Diop. He might be in a New Jersey Nets uniform next year, looking an awful lot like Yinke Dare for his first couple of NBA seasons.
Old 04-15-2001, 04:42 PM   #29
Mavinator
Golden Member

You're probably right... that beautiful dream may be dead, Rockets game or no Rockets game...
Old 04-16-2001, 02:30 PM   #30
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Kambala and Diop would both be great aquistions... However, I think the Cigar is absolutely right in saying that we will move up this year. This years draft is so deep that by hook or by crook Nelson and Cuban will move up into the first round somehow...
Old 04-16-2001, 06:53 PM   #31
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Diop Diop Diop!!!
Old 04-19-2001, 02:33 PM   #32
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

Chinese Govt has decided that they wont let Ming Yao out next year....So I think the Mavs should draft this guy if they can make a move.... We could afford to wait on him a yr or so...Not to mention we will definetly move G TRent & maybe Eisley around the draft.... Personally, I would like to pursue these 2 guys in a sign & trade... Anthony Mason or maybe Bruce Bowen .....Bowen is a 2.25 Million Dollar guy right now & rumbling out of Miami is that he may want out if they dont offer him next years exception.....Which of course Miami wants to use to bring in either Hakeem or Ewing ....Also , I like the big banger in Orlando named Don Reid..... he makes the veteran minimum ...all he does is rebound & intimidate. He would come alot cheaper then Mason..... But Im almost certain Trent will wont big $$$$ then moved to a team where he can play....
Old 05-05-2001, 08:56 AM   #33
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

When is the NBA draft?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 08:51 PM   #34
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Just bumping up this excellent thread.
Old 05-10-2001, 08:54 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Lets see......Hhmmmmm........I don't see anything about Howards defense.

Your right, this is a great thread [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2001, 09:05 PM   #36
MFFL
Guru

The draft is June 27th!
Old 05-10-2001, 09:10 PM   #37
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

And that's exactly 47 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes, 13 seconds from now. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2001, 09:10 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

howard's defense sucks
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 09:33 PM   #39
MFFL
Guru

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]