Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-18-2001, 03:49 PM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

This is what I mean when I say the Mavericks don't need Penny Hardaway. Accident prone does NOT explain what this guy is!! He's an article on him, he's going to miss the playoffs this year!!!

Suns guard still not healthy enough for return

Hardaway to Miss Playoffs
By Dustin Krugel

Posted: April 18, 2001

The Suns will be without guard Penny Hardaway in the playoffs after all.

"It was my decision basically," a disappointed Hardaway said after Wednesday morning's shootaround at America West Arena. "I didn't feel I was at a percentage I needed to be at to help the team. We will just have to go from there."

Hardaway had hoped to make a comeback for the Suns' first-round playoffs series that begins this weekend at Sacramento, but after participating in two recent practices, including Tuesday's full court scrimmage, the Suns' brain trust concluded it was too soon.

"No, it's not a surprise," Suns Head Coach Scott Skiles said. "We know he's not 100 percent and probably more like 75 percent. This team has won 50 games so far without Penny for the most part, so we don't see the reason to risk putting him out there when normally it's about 90 percent when a guy (returns from an injury). About 90 percent is the benchmark for putting guys out there. Anything short of that, there becomes a little risk involved. It's not a risk we are going to take right now."

The four-time NBA All-Star has played in only four games this season and was placed on the injured list on Jan. 16 due to acute inflammation of the soft tissue and soreness in his left knee.

"It's tough because I owe it all to the organization and my teammates," Hardaway said. "Not to be able to play in the playoffs is a disappointment, but the sky is the limit for next year."

I've heard next year from him the past four years. What a waste!!!
Old 04-18-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sign and trade for Gary Trent! Broken goods come cheap...
Old 04-18-2001, 03:56 PM   #3
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Kid, I'm a bit dissappointed in you. I don't know if you're an athlete, but from personal experience, I can tell you how frusterating an injury can be to overcome. Most likely, if it's as serious as Penny's, you will never return to 100%.
If you're opinion is simply that the Mavs shouldn't sign him, I can respect that. But I don't respect you questioning his toughness.

BTW, I'd like to see Penny on the Mavs, that would give us 5 All-Star caliber players.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:57 PM   #4
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

The era of guys sitting on our bench collecting "fat" checks are over. I remembered how we traded for Fat Lever & he hardly ever suited up in Dallas. He sat & collected checks...same as Hot Rod Williams ...backing up to the GM's office with a ski mask on...But if Phoenix just wanted to unload him w/o costing us much of anything. .. then Nelson must listen.....
Old 04-18-2001, 03:58 PM   #5
Hales233
Golden Member

Another thing, Penny was supposed to be out for the playoffs a long time ago, but he wanted to play so bad he gave it a shot. That should tell you about the kind of guy Penny is.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:05 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well Hales yes I am a "former" athlete so I know how frustrating injuries can be. When he was in Orlando I never questioned his toughness although everyone else was on him but come on now, at some point he has to be healthy or atleast push it. He had knee surgery last summer and it wasn't even major surgery, it was equivalent to a scope! I'm saying why waste the time and money and he's still collecting a pretty hefty salary. I could actully justify paying BRADLEY what Penny is making (6 years left of his 7 year $80+ million dollar contract). Atleast Bradley is going to be healthy more than 10 games in a season.

He's just frustrating because he is such a great talent. He keeps saying once he gets healthy he'll contribute but fans (or in my case former fans) of his have been waiting for four years for him to be healthy. Then he gives his famous line, NEXT YEAR.. So I'm waiting to see what type of surgery he's going to have next year.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:12 PM   #7
Hales233
Golden Member

I guess Penny probably shouldn't be saying things like "the sky is the limit next year," in case he does get injured again. I still like him though.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:18 PM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Jordan, don't forget Terry Davis and Robert Pack on that nice list of injury disaster former Mavs... I still think that Penny would be worth a gamble if he was affordable. If he regained two thirds of his game and could reach some semblance of healthiness, he would be the ideal second string two guard/combo guard that we need... He could also emerge as a colossal steal if that happened...
Old 04-18-2001, 04:26 PM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

Believe me, there wasn't a bigger Penny fan than I. I loved him when he came out of Memphis. As a matter of fact, his last playoffs he played in Orlando when he didn't play half the season that year and came back and scored back to back 40 point games for Orlando I thought he still had it, but I haven't seen him play like that since. The guy WAS phenomenal.

The only reason I get frustrated with him, I don't think a player has had more knee surgeries than Patrick Ewing or has been falling apart like him, however he still drags his ragedy bones out there on the court and battles. Now HE'S someone who SHOULD sit his ass down but he refuses to. That's why when I see Penny has a surgery similar to a scope and he only plays 4 games, I'm sorry I just think he's a waste of time. Now if we could get Hardaway for the exception, then you're right get him, but we can't get him for that amount so there is NO TRADE I would trade him for to bring him to this team.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:21 PM   #10
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Pass.... where would we play him? We already have Nash, Fin, Dirk to play all the PG to SF minutes. Then some for Eisley.
Old 04-18-2001, 07:56 PM   #11
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Scooter makes an excellent point. Just like alot of possible players we could attract. We are so stacked at each position (center withstanding), we would turn into the Blazers.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:14 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs could definitely use some depth at the guard position. Acquiring a pg/sg during the offseason is almost a given. Which would you rather have at sg for backup purposes - Mitch Richmond or Penny Hardaway?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:29 PM   #13
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I don't think he need much more at the guard spots. Nash 35 mins at point, Fin 30 mins at shooting guard.(and 10 at SF) This leaves 17 minutes for Eisley and Buckner. And most likely Erick Strickland too.

Too much depth makes you go crazy, like Portland. The sucked when they brought in Strickland.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:34 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs have very little depth at the guard rotation right now. It's hard to tell just by looking at the box scores but believe me, this seven-man rotation Nellie's got goin is wearing them down. Ever since the Washington trade, the bench (or lack thereof) has been a pretty big problem. I doubt Maxwell is re-signed, so that leaves just Eisley and Buck. I think it's safe to say someone else will be brought in for added depth and insurance. Strick's definitely an option, and so is Richmond. Both would be willing to sign for the exception.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 08:52 PM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

I like Mitch, but I'd rather have Penny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2001, 08:57 AM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well we can squash the Penny talk because we're not getting him. However I would go for that Richmond thing. That would be sweet.
Old 04-19-2001, 12:50 PM   #17
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I would rather have Strick back than Mitch. Penny isn't coming here for Trent. He still has that new paint job in Phoenix and that haven't tired of all of his injuries yet. I was so pumped when Orlando got Ho Grant with Shaq and Penny. I could just see the titles falling around them. Then everything just fell apart.

It's interesting with Pack though because he was as injury prone as anyone in the league, but this season he actually played most of it (don't have the exact numbers). I've always like his game too. Maybe pick up Pack and Strick. Especially if Maxwell is gone. Pack gives you another guard that runs like Nash (100% everywhere on the court).
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 05:12 PM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

Penny can play pickup with Jordan but can't practice with his team huh???

Barkley to Live, Train with Jordan
LOS ANGELES, May 10 (AP) -- Charles Barkley, getting in shape for a possible joint NBA comeback with Michael Jordan, plans to move in with Jordan for a month of serious training before a decision is made.

Barkley said in Thursday's Los Angeles Times that when his broadcasting duties with TNT end May 24, he'll live and train with Jordan in Chicago.

Barkley said Jordan came to his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., last week and they played in a scrimmage with Phoenix's Penny Hardaway.

"Michael looked great," Barkley told the Times.

Noting that former Chicago Bulls coach Doug Collins is leaving his job as an NBC commentator to become coach of the Washington Wizards, Barkley said, "If that isn't an indication that Michael is coming back, I don't know what is."

Barkley said he is working out twice a day and has lost 45 pounds since he and Jordan began training for their possible comebacks at the start of the year.

Barkley now weighs 292 pounds and would like to get down to about 265. Jordan, currently the Wizards' president of basketball operations, has lost 25 pounds.
Old 05-10-2001, 05:56 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Is Pack a free agent this year? I like his game but he's hurt a lot.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 08:25 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no place on this team for penny, i'm sure
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote