Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2001, 07:31 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Today is game 2. Wow we're playing a lot of games in a short period of time. And this game is important. IMO, we HAVE to win game 2. If we lose game 2, then we would have to either beat the Spurs 4 straight (3 of the games would be in Dallas though) or beat them in game 7 there (the Spurs had the best regular season home record in the NBA). I cannot imagine either of those events happening. This game is crucial if we want to win the series.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2001, 10:14 AM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

If we look too closely at the task ahead, it appears extremely daunting, and maybe even unreasonable. Beating the Spurs 4 out of 6 would be quite an impressive feat, and I think if we take it one game at a time, we can do it. Let's just focus on tonight's game, and worry about the rest of the series down the road. That's the only chance we have of surviving the Spurs IMO.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:43 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Very true Hales, but MFFL is right. Tonight is HUGE!!! I think this determines whether we're even still in this series or not!
Old 05-07-2001, 12:26 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's pretty obvious that Duncan will get his double-double tonight, but the Mavs really need to neutralize the other guys. I'm sick of seeing Robinson netting season highs against us (especially at this point in his career), and bit players like Daniels and Ferry dropping open three-bombs left and right.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 01:16 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad Nellie is coaching tonight and not me. I don't have any idea how to stop the Spurs. Their inside-out game is almost unstoppable. You guard inside, the Spurs perimeter players light you up. You guard the perimeter, and the Spurs pound inside. Everytime I watch them play I am awed. Nellie said he is going to change defenses often to try and get them out of synch.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:13 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

There's no way for us to stop the Twin Towers. Bradley did a good job in the first quarter of game 1 but couldn't sustain it. I got little hope.

Blowout

Mavs 93
Spurs 109

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 02:16 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing i can think of is to use bradley on duncan as much as possible...
use booth/dirk on robinson
and finley/nash shouldn't come off of their players to double team.
when they come off of their guards to double up, it leaves one of the guards open for the three.
the mavs will have to use the small forward to do the doubling up on robinson and duncan.
and they probably need to double late to keep the spurs small forward from being wide open.

that's the only thing i can think of.

the best situation would be for booth and bradley to do a decent job against robinson and duncan so that the mavs don't have to double often.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 06:48 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

-10 minutes till Gametime-

Old 05-07-2001, 06:51 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

Are you going to be posting during the game? I sure felt lonely during game 1.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:07 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably be in and out during the game, depending on how much work I get done and what mood the game puts me in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2001, 07:16 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

Nellie started Juwan. I hope he plays well tonight.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:22 PM   #12
MFFL
Guru

Juwan is playing well, but Dirk is playing HORRIBLE defense. He's not even watching Ferry and he's getting LIT UP!
Old 05-07-2001, 07:25 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

I know he's been getting into foul trouble, but damn. Dirk's not within 3 feet of him, not watching him, or challenging the shot when Ferry gets the ball.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:41 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Dirk and Fin are playing like CRAP right now! UGH!
Old 05-07-2001, 07:42 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

How many damn Fadeways can Finley shoot in 1 quarter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] . Jeeezzzzzzzzz!!

Old 05-07-2001, 07:44 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

How pathetic is it when Juwan is our best player on the court for the 1st quarter?
Old 05-07-2001, 07:44 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

No kidding! And what the hell's with Dirk?!
Old 05-07-2001, 07:44 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

He's our best player and he's STILL heaving bricks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2001, 07:45 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

MFFL, I'll be in and out too. I'm goin now but I'll be back at half.

Old 05-07-2001, 07:48 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

DAMMIT FIN! STOP TURNING IT OVER!!!
Old 05-07-2001, 07:55 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

Force feeding Dirk has got us 4 quick points. Hope Dirk keeps it going.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:00 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

F1 on Ferry. Popovich ejected. Woohoo!!
Old 05-07-2001, 08:01 PM   #23
djb
Administrator

Ferry just hacked Howard..gee this looks familiar. Too bad Howard couldn't fall to the ground and thus force the refs to eject Ferry.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:13 PM   #24
MFFL
Guru

Good first half. Dirk's over whatever was bothering him in the first quarter. We're getting good shots, not making them right now, but that can cahnge in a hurry. If only we could stop their end of quarter surges we would be ahead.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:15 PM   #25
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Damn if we could only make some friggin shots, we would be in good shape.

Old 05-07-2001, 08:16 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

But most of them are good looks. We will make those shots in the 2nd half (I hope).
Old 05-07-2001, 08:19 PM   #27
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, take out most of Finley's shots and for the most part they were good shots.

Old 05-07-2001, 08:20 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

Take out Howard's as well. I'm getting sick of seeing him settle for the mid-range jumper. You're a freakin post player Juwan! Go to the hole!
Old 05-07-2001, 08:22 PM   #29
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Ferry is annoying me...Dude's been a Spur for a whole season, and he is acting like he's MR Spur! Danny, I got news for you, Sean Elliot and David Robinson are getting back by playing well and with class! You were a putz in Cleveland and you still are in SA...
Old 05-07-2001, 08:27 PM   #30
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Nash and Dirk are a combined 4-10.
While Finley and Howard are 6-21.
It´s just a pattern, I´ve seen this a lot of times in the
regular season. If it continous we´ll lose.
Finley must just stop trying to be "Da Man", and Howard needs to work his way to the basket, instead of shooting all those jumpers.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2001, 08:39 PM   #31
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Duncan absolutely kills us on the boards...
Old 05-07-2001, 08:42 PM   #32
Fidel
Diamond Member

We just don´t hit any shots at all (whats up with Dirk?)
Old 05-07-2001, 08:44 PM   #33
Fidel
Diamond Member

Uh Oh
what happened??
Old 05-07-2001, 08:45 PM   #34
MFFL
Guru

Don't just blame Finley - he's missed 10 shots. Dirk's missed 8.

Crap the Spurs are beating the hell out of us right now. Their's inside/out game is killing us.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:45 PM   #35
Fidel
Diamond Member

After Fins 3 it was a three point ballgame, now we are down 15.
Shit.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:46 PM   #36
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

This just in...The Spurs are pretty damn good...I knew this coming in, but how good they are compared to use is just sad...
Old 05-07-2001, 08:47 PM   #37
Fidel
Diamond Member

I didn´t blame Fin here,
just for his shot selection in the first half.
all my posts on page 2 are about 2nd half, and it´s a different story now.
I mentioned Dirk as you can see.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:49 PM   #38
Fidel
Diamond Member

Big_pth
it´s all Duncan
without him we would kill them.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:49 PM   #39
MFFL
Guru

Sorry Fidel - we posted only 3 minutes apart. I didn't see your follow-up when I posted my comment.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:50 PM   #40
Fidel
Diamond Member

Just like the Rockts played when Olajuwon was good.