Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-11-2001, 08:00 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I really hate it when my favorite team gets swept. I would like to see the Mavs win a game but there is a silver lining if we lose. If the Spurs sweep us it will give the Mavs players a look at true playoff focus and how to apply killer instinct.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2001, 02:44 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

SWEEP. I wish we could win just 1, but I don't see it happening. SA's on a mission.

Bye Bye 777 Sports Street. Way to close out with a Bang! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:00 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I hope Nellie wisens up and benches Juwan! Najera, Buck, and Eisley have EARNED their mins imo.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:07 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dj, be careful, you're going to get yourself run off of the site.
you must have an agenda or something.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:32 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Who is talking about benching Howard there???
Must be Lam...
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:33 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, dj was talking about benching howard
Old 05-11-2001, 03:44 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with benching him in favor of guys who actually contribute and hustle out on the floor. This isn't so much a knock on Juwan as it is a compliment for the bench squad.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:51 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Yes Murph
I´ve seen that, it wasn´t directed to you.
It was just a joke directed to DJ...
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 03:54 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

what is sad and scary is what if juwan is hustling and giving his all on defense?
Old 05-11-2001, 04:10 PM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

We may have actually won a game this series.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:18 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

that's not what i'm saying kid,..
i'm saying, what if they juwan that we've seen over the past few months IS busting his ass on defense and he is giving his all to rebound.
that is very scary. it's very scary if that's the best he can do.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:35 PM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

I knew what you were trying to say, but you missed the crack I was trying to make. Actually you probably got it, but you're so busy trying dispute everything with me.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:37 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Hey murph - I would be more scared if Juwan WASN'T giving it his all. I hate players who just put in their time.
Old 05-12-2001, 12:53 AM   #14
LongHornMav

LongHornMav is on a distinguished road

I'm kinda looking forward to the game tomorrow. It's kind of a throwback to the games during the mid to late 90's. You know when we pretty much sucked. I'm assuming most of ya'll have been fans for a while now. Why did we watch all of those games? Why was it even any fun? It was fun because we knew the Mavs should lose to those elite teams, but our beloved Mavs would sometimes step up and play their best basketball when they had nothing to lose, making it an exciting game or even sometimes shocking they hell out of somebody. Nobody is giving us a chance tomorrow, so we got nothing to lose. So let the shots fly and the smiles come back. I hope the can let go of the pressure. They have already accomplished so much. Good luck Mavs.
LongHornMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 02:38 AM   #15
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

True. I think Mavs will win 88, 87. We have played our best ball when our back is against the wall...
Old 05-12-2001, 06:58 AM   #16
MFFL
Guru

Your back's against the wall red-necked mother.
Old 05-12-2001, 07:35 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

great post longhorn mav
unfortunately, i won't be able to devote all of my attention towards the game, girlfriend's graduation party. but, i'll catch 90% of it
Old 05-12-2001, 04:09 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

Yeah, the forum's back up! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It was down this morning. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Mavs are playing very well today.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:17 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

Booth is playing outstanding today. Has anyone else noticed that he only plays well when Dirk plays well?
Old 05-12-2001, 04:27 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

Down by 1 after 3 quarters. Sweet. We've been blown out by now in the other 3 games. I'm starting to get a good feeling.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:46 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

Dirk got hit in the mouth. We have a chance to win but we HAVE to have Dirk!
Old 05-12-2001, 04:56 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

Dirk's back - 2 points and 2 rebounds in crunch time!
Old 05-12-2001, 05:13 PM   #23
MFFL
Guru

WE WON IT! UNBELIEVABLE!
Old 05-12-2001, 05:23 PM   #24
LongHornMav

LongHornMav is on a distinguished road

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. How about the rebounds from Buckner? And what about Dirk showing the world that he is ready to get down and dirty for the cause? And then Finley hitting the crucial final basket just like our leader should! Good job Mavs!
LongHornMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 06:47 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

AWESOME GAME!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Mavs are now 3-0 in the postseason whenever I'm in attendance [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Too bad I gave my tix to my gf and her friend last Wednesday. Oh and who here thinks Terry Porter is a "dirty" player for his tooth-busting play on Dirk? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2001, 07:00 PM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Was I the only one who thought they would win?? I'm sure I'm the only one who thinks they will win the series too.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:30 PM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I missed the first half of the game 'cause I was taking one of the rats shopping for Mother's Day. The second half was great. The Mavs showed real poise. It would have been incredibly easy to mail it in, but our players had too much heart. No quitters on this team!
Old 05-12-2001, 11:31 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

scooter - my hat's off to you. I didn't think we had a chance, I just wanted a close game.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:24 AM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

great win for the mavericks.
yes, finley did hit a huge shot.

has anyone else ever noticed that alot of people on this board are just like one of the maverick's tv announcers on kstar49 or whatever.
it doesn't matter who makes a good play or who does what, if finley in any way touches the ball during the play, he's the one player that's mentioned as to making it happen. if he's remotely in the area.

finley's a great player, but that's how this board is. it definitely sees with finley googles on. only sees the good and can attribute anything done by the mavs to what he did, regardless.

don't get me wrong. this isn't a shot at finley. he's a very crucial player for the mavs. he's come up big time and time again.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:41 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

murph - most of the posts were praising Dirk. Finley was only mentioned once.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:51 AM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

oh, i know mffl.
this isn't directed necessarily at any post in this thread.

but nothing whips me more than watching a mavs game on the tv.

it's the same thing. whenever najera or finley is in the game, regardless of what's going on, it's finley this or finley that, or najera this or najera that.

a couple of games ago, finley had lost his dribble and was in trouble behind the three point line. he basically handed the ball to nash and nash hit a three. the announcer went on and on about finley making a great play. first off, give nash some credit, he went to finley and then got open and drilled the three.
it's just annoying sometimes.
yes, give credit where credit is due. no problem with that. but where's it's not due, don't constantly give it.

i'm not saying that finley isn't deserving of credit last game, it's just an observation i had
Old 05-13-2001, 12:39 PM   #32
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

murhpy, ive noticed that for the past 2 years and it is a little annoying.. but since they're my home team.. i dont really have a problem with a little.. ok alot.. of praise from ortegal and clan
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 02:49 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

murph - have you thought of any reason that would explain why Booth only plays well when Dirk plays well. I am personally puzzled.
Old 05-13-2001, 11:45 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

actually, i haven't noticed.
booth hasn't consistently played well enough to notice many trends.
he's been kinda sporadic.
but, if what you've noticed is true, and i have little doubt that it is, ....it could be because offensively, when dirk is on, it could open up the middle more for booth to have more offensive rebound opportunities or more uncontested shots due to double teams of finley and dirk.
just a thought.
one player plays well, it can have a positive affect on everyone else
Old 05-13-2001, 11:59 PM   #35
MFFL
Guru

Dirk didn't play particulary well in Games 1 & 2 of the Utah series, neither did Booth. Dirk dominated games 3, 4, & 5 of the Utah series and Booth played well. Dirk again didn't play particulary well in Games 1, 2, & 3 of the San Antonio series, neither did Booth. Dirk again dominates (the 4th game of the Spurs series) and Booth again has a good game. Maybe a strange coincidence...
Old 05-14-2001, 12:07 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

yeah...but, maybe we're also confusing shooting well with playing well.
dirk found ways to score in alot of those games, and if we're going to give fin and iverson credit for finding ways to score when he's shooting poorly, we have to do the same for dirk.

anyways, i'll have to watch out for it next game, and into game six, if there is one
Old 05-14-2001, 08:56 AM   #37
TheKid
Diamond Member

We're not giving them credit for shooting poorly, we're giving them credit for bringing other things to the table other than scoring! Which is EXACTLY what I said about Dirk in game 1 of the Utah series. I said he was the ONLY ONE throughout three quarters of the game who looked like he was trying to win the game! That was with Fin scoring 30 points, I still was impressed with Dirk's energy. A lot of people on this board kept saying how terrible of a game he had. He only had a bad shooting game that game, but believe it or not, he brought more to the table that game than a lot of other players did.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:43 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

good points kid.
but alot of people don't realize the passion in which dirk, finley, and nash have when they play the game.
or, they think that only finley can carry the team with his passion.
listen to what the players say....talking about how when they see that look in dirk's eyes, they know he's gonna have a terrific game and not let the team lose.
all three of the guys have the fire to drive the team, to will the team at times to victory.
it's not just finley, not just dirk, not just nash.....but it does start with each of the three..
Old 05-14-2001, 10:09 AM   #39
TheKid
Diamond Member

Of course not, however one problem I have is that people tend to be biased on this board at times. (I'm one also who does that so I can't say I'm not in that category) They can overlook their favorite players flaws however will harp on another players problems. WE ALL do that so I can't say much. Truthfully, DJ is probably the only one on this board who is pretty objective.

Anyway's, I think a lot of people recognize all that Dirk brings to the table. Especially people around the NBA, that's why despite his poor shooting people on the team still feels he needs to get the ball. That's why I always say, Dirk and Fin are HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the rest of their team. I don't mind that people put Nash in that category because he has to play well for them to do well, however it's ESSENTIAL that Dirk and Fin play well because we rely on them for so much more than scoring. They get doubled team, we rely on that to open it up for other players, etc. etc. I think most people do recognize that.
Old 05-14-2001, 10:55 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

yep, it is essential that both play well, but solid play out of nash is a must also, because he's the point guard and is forced to make more offensive decisions than any other player