Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

After giving up all that talent for Paul (Butler, Roddy, picks, etc), I'm still not sure if the team as enough offensive punch to battle with the big boys of the league. Other than Paul and Dirk, who can score?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
After giving up all that talent for Paul (Butler, Roddy, picks, etc), I'm still not sure if the team as enough offensive punch to battle with the big boys of the league. Other than Paul and Dirk, who can score?
Jet. And Kidd hits open threes.

A starting five of Paul, Kidd, Marion, Dirk, Haywood with Okafor, Posey and Jet coming off the bench is a title contender.

When you're pairing two of the top ten players in the NBA together, all you need after that is the right role players.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Jet. And Kidd hits open threes.
Its been proven in recent playoff series that those two cannot be counted upon to play consistent 3rd fiddle. Unless you think Paul makes them better playoff performers.

Quote:
When you're pairing two of the top ten players in the NBA together, all you need after that is the right role players.
thats the theory...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its been proven in recent playoff series that those two cannot be counted upon to play consistent 3rd fiddle. Unless you think Paul makes them better playoff performers.
How could he not? The problem last year was that there was no second fiddle.

And I don't really take one playoff series as definitive proof of anything.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

eh. I've seen more than enough playoff series where JT didn't show up as needed and Kidd just can't do much of anything in the half court other than spot up.

I'd do the move bc it would bring in a top 5(?) talent...but I'm not sold it would be a dynamic roster.

Last edited by sike; 07-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
eh. I've seen more than enough playoff series where JT didn't show up as needed and Kidd just can't do much of anything in the half court other than spot up.

I'd do the move bc it would bring in a top 5(?) talent...but I'm not sold it would be a dynamic roster.
Spotting up would be exactly what you want from your off guard playing next to Paul.

Jet is certainly declining but most of his playoff failings have come when we've been depending on him as a second scorer. If Jet is your third scorer you're a pretty nice team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Jet is certainly declining but most of his playoff failings have come when we've been depending on him as a second scorer.
I don't wish to belabor this point, but Josh "high as a kite" Howard?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There was more than one problem last year, that is for sure. To pinpoint it all down to not having a second fiddle is ridiculous.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
There was more than one problem last year, that is for sure. To pinpoint it all down to not having a second fiddle is ridiculous.
I don't think so. I think the Mavs have basically all the pieces you need except a second star (which is a big deal, obviously).

And I find it hard to believe that anyone could be the slightest bit reserved on how good this team would be if they added Chris Paul at the cost of nothing of any consequence other than Butler and Roddy.

Not to mention the fact that Okafor would be a better backup center than Chandler and Posey would have a role on this team (although somewhat duplicated by Marion).

It's all moot because it's not going to happen, but if we somehow swung a trade for Paul, Okafor, and Posey my excitement level would be on the same level as if we had acquired Wade, and only slightly less than it would have been for Lebron.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think so. I think the Mavs have basically all the pieces you need except a second star (which is a big deal, obviously).

And I find it hard to believe that anyone could be the slightest bit reserved on how good this team would be if they added Chris Paul at the cost of nothing of any consequence other than Butler and Roddy.

Not to mention the fact that Okafor would be a better backup center than Chandler and Posey would have a role on this team (although somewhat duplicated by Marion).

It's all moot because it's not going to happen, but if we somehow swung a trade for Paul, Okafor, and Posey my excitement level would be on the same level as if we had acquired Wade, and only slightly less than it would have been for Lebron.

A second star is a big deal but we needed much more than that. Thats pretty optimistic. Just saying a "second star" is so vague anyway.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The closing offense for the last decade has been the dirk/jet pnr. Throw in some josh howard sometimes. Now think of the dirk/paul pnr..where paul is a infinitely better distributor/scorer and driver than jet is. It's so not close that it's scary.

Jkiddo wasn't going to do anything but spot up 3 anyway. Get the center moving and the 3 moving and you've got something going on. They don't have to be isolation scorers with paul running it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 07-25-2010 at 09:50 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
masting and striking? wtf, ur mom's fadge stinks, wtf is "fadge"?