Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-24-2006, 04:43 PM   #201
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
At the risk of sounding gay here..... my wife and I watched Elizabethtown this past weekend.

Not too bad. Yes... it followed a predictable pattern, but we enjoyed it. I wish they would have explained why the (**cough** Nike **cough**) Shoe failed. Although, they didn't try to hide the fact it was Nike too much with the Oregon/Phil references.
Hey. We watched that, too. Or more accurately she watched it. I caught the last bit with all the driving and the map and all. On second thought, I think that driving thing was the whole movie.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 PM   #202
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

WOW, I just watched Cinderella Man cause I don't really like Russell Crow, but damn, that was a great movie. best I have seen in some time.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #203
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Just saw Lord of War. Really good. Nick Cage was very impressive.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #204
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to beholdendtroducing MASKED is a splendid one to behold

All Japan Excite Series 2002, commercial AUTHENTIC DVD from JAPAN~! featuring Kawada vs. Mutoh (****) and Tenryu vs. Kojima (**** 1/2)
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #205
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

well some friends and I watched several movies over spring break not all of them in dvds but still. First we watched Lord of War. Good movie. Not life changing or anything but good movie. Second we watched Crash. Very good movie. I thought alot of the racism was overly cliche but still very good movie. The racist cop doing a good deed was also overly cliche and the scene with the husband coming out screaming at the cops was just ridiculous. No way in hell hes not in handcuffs at the end of that. Oh yeah that and did anyone else notice that I dont think any of the characters had names? They never called anyone by name that i could recall. Still all in all very solid. Finally we watched V for Vendetta. Fantabulous movie. Well i thought so. I watched this one with mostly teenagers and they didnt like it but I thought it was awesome. I dont want to go into detail about it because im sure some of you want to see it and havent yet but it was awesome. Anyone that has/does watch it send me a pm if you wish. I want to discuss a couple of parts of it but again i dont want to give it away.

BTW doc you will utterly hate this movie. It takes pot shots at christians and rightwing people. It can be viewed as an attack on bush or it can be viewed as a modern hitler story BUT overall i loved the movie. Thats getting close to giving stuff away so i will stop there but I would love to discuss it with anyone who has seen it.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 03-20-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #206
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I watched Hustle and Flow last night. I really liked Terence Howard in it. The scenes where the music slowly came together into songs were awesome. Other than that, not much more to say.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #207
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

5-0, i also saw V for Vendetta. I really liked it, especially the ending.

Something i recently bought on DVD was A History of Violence. That's probably the mostly the realistic movie i've seen (as far as violence and sexuality go).
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 03-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #208
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im actually waiting for Chaffy to see the movie, i want to see what he thinks. I think this could be the first movie that i know of that both of us like.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 PM   #209
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Howl's Moving Castle.....with the boys...it wasn't bad.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM   #210
Five-ofan
Guru

Doc im pretty sure you will hate v for vendetta but im curious to know if you are gonna watch it or not.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #211
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I watched Do the Right Thing last night. This is a movie that portrays race relations/racial tensions in a way that Crash could only dream of.

I also went to the theater to see V for Vendetta. It was pretty enjoyable. I would put it along side the first Matrix in terms of quality. It's still a popcorn flick, but it has a bit more going for it than that. Natalie Portman and Hugo Weaving nailed their roles, and their was a really good story going on.

Faults: The Chancellor was waaaay to evil. Hollywood still refuses to give credit to viewer intelligence, and has to spell everything out. There are ways to make villains villainous without making them seem like the devil incarnate. Some of the flashback narratives were also a bit annoying. Overall, a good film, I'd reccomend it.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:53 AM   #212
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

V for Vendetta was good...very good..

North Country...solid

Good Night and Good Luck... It was more interesting than entertaining.... but, I'd definitely recommend it.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 PM   #213
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

"I would put it along side the first Matrix in terms of quality."

V was not nearly as effective at preaching it's message as the first Matrix....now if you wanna compare it the the Matrix sequals....

V just felt like too many other movies I've seen before...I liked it...but did not love it. Hugo is the man.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #214
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I most recently wached Runaway Jury...a decent flick, though at times does not live up to it's amazing cast: Dustin, Cusack, Weisz, and Hackman..

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 PM   #215
Five-ofan
Guru

What V was was without question the best alan moore adaptation.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM   #216
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Saw V for Vendetta Saturday night as well...I loved it. I never watch movies more than once, but this one I probably will.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #217
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Doc im pretty sure you will hate v for vendetta but im curious to know if you are gonna watch it or not.
Why would I hate it? I've not heard about the story but the previews look good so if it isn't BrokeAss Mountain 2 I will likely see it.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #218
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Devil's Rejects... don't bother unless all you want in a movie is blood and guts. Terrible Texas Chainsaw Massacre wannabe.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #219
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I most recently wached Runaway Jury...a decent flick, though at times does not live up to it's amazing cast: Dustin, Cusack, Weisz, and Hackman..
the funny thing about that movie is that in the book, the bad guys were the cigarette companies. In the movie, they were gun manufacturers.

I guess hollywood considers guns more evil than smokes... or that the production company was just too damn scared of big tobacco's lawyers to risk a lawsuit. Of couse, that was kind of the point of the movie, eh?

Anyway. It sucked. Both the movie and the book.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #220
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Hugo Weaving, I recently caught "Proof" on cable with him and Russell Crowe. Good solid movie.

Other recently seen movies.

Thirteen - crap (really, its exactly the type of over-hyped movie that just pisses me off)

Under Suspicion - watchable only because of Morgan Freeman and Hackman - otherwise would've been crap.

Very Bad Things - completely over the top, very dark humor, not bad.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-21-2006 at 10:50 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 AM   #221
Five-ofan
Guru

I didnt take it this way but it can come off as extremely anti right wing christian and it has also been taken by many as anti bush(though it isnt, it was written 20 years ago though it has been updated) I just dont think you will like it but if/when you do watch it i would like to know if you do.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #222
Drbio
Banned

ok. I might see it this weekend. I had a golf outing planned but two of the guys in my group were injured in a car accident and it is off. I can golf locally in the morning and see the movie with the misses at night.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 AM   #223
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Films I've seen recently:

In theaters: The Inside Man

On DVD: Bottle Rocket, M, Amores Perros, Jesus' Son, Clerks, probably some others.

Bottle Rocket is greatness, and belongs in the underrated movies thread. Wes Anderson's first film. If you like his other stuff, definitely check it out.

M is an extremely chilling film from 1931, directed by Fritz Lang. It features a great performance by Peter Lorre. If you like old foreign films, check it out. Some of the camerawork is outstanding.

Amores Perros was excellent as well. My current Writing About Film professor called it his favorite movie of the past 6 years, and I can definitely see where he is coming from. I don't think of it that highly, but it is definitely up there.

Jesus' Son is a quirky heroin film. Billy Crudup gave a very interesting performance, and it had a lot of fun cameos, including Jack Black, Denis Leary, and Holly Hunter. There are films that I'd recommend before it, but it wasn't bad. It's based off of a collection of short stories (same name) that I hear are decent.

Clerks is Kevin Smith's first movie, and some would argue his best. It definitely has the best dialogue of any of his movies. Of course, when your movie revolves around the discourse of convenience store employees, the dialogue better be good. Very funny, worth watching. If your view of Kevin Smith is altered by the crap that was "Jay and Slient Bob Strike Back," check this film out before you pass judgement.

That's it for now. Mini-reviews of Vertigo, 2001, and The Night of the Hunter coming soon.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #224
sike
The Preacha

inside man: best popcorn I've seen in a long time.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #225
Five-ofan
Guru

So doc have you seen V yet?

Most recently seen movie, ice age 2 the meltdown. Funny but not quite as good as the first one. Man the squirrel is hilarious though.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #226
Nash13
Diamond Member

Harold and Kumar Go to Whitecastle- one of the more hilarious movies i've seen.

Derailed- First movie where i predicted the ending midway through the movie, but it was still good.

Inside Man- I like all Spike Lee movies, including this one. That being said, he should stick to dramas

Basic Instinct 2- okay, just joking.

~The Salesman
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #227
sike
The Preacha

Basic Instinct 2- okay, just joking.

I think that is what the guy who pitched the movie said too....

Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #228
sike
The Preacha

just saw sleepy hollow again...man I like that flick....

Old 04-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #229
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Thank You For Smoking was great. Very similar to an Allen Payne movie (Sideways, About Schmidt, Election), but not quite as depressing.

On campus, so I don't have time to go further, but I will say that both 2001 and Vertigo were among the top movies I've ever seen.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #230
Nash13
Diamond Member

Finally got around to watching the Chronicles of Narnia. Probably second favorite Disney movie i've seen after Pirate of the Carribean(sp).

~The Salesman
Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #231
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Raging Bull
The Office (UK)

Old 05-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #232
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Jarhead.

Missed it in release last fall, but had heard it was good. It wasn't. In fact, it was awful. Pointless. Why do films like this get made? Stupid, predictable, cliche, no story worth telling, no performance worth seeing.

It's an unfathomable embarrassment to have as much screen talent as this film had--Chris Cooper, Jamie Foxx, Jake Gylenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard--and come out with such a worthless pos.

Skip it.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:24 PM   #233
Five-ofan
Guru

So doc have you seen V yet? May should be a good month for movies. 1 movie i cant wait for, X3 plus the screen version of an extremely overrated but good book, da vinci code.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #234
Nash13
Diamond Member

Just bought 1st season of Grey's Anatomy. Enjoyable, Entertaining (Katherine Heigl is HOT), but not the best show i've seen.

5-0, really this whole summer is going to have pretty good movies.

~The Salesman
Old 05-07-2006, 11:59 PM   #235
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

Snakes on a Plane will conquer everything.

Watched Taxi Driver, The Ice Storm, and Wong Kar-Wai's section of the film "Eros."

Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #236
sike
The Preacha

just saw "Ray" for the first time.....

pretty salty showing for Foxx.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #237
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I really enjoyed Ray for the acting and the music. Otherwise, the film was kind of a bust.

Then they decided to remake it as "Walk the Line." Once again, enjoyed the acting and music, at least.

To be fair, I still own both movies. I like music too much I guess, and good acting is one of my favorite parts of film.

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 05-09-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #238
Five-ofan
Guru

I watched The squid and the whale this weekend. This is generally not the kind of movie that i like but my friends were watching and i was bored so what the heck. I was very impressed. Well acted and just generally well made movie. Doc im still curious if you ever saw V.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #239
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Shawshank Redemption just yesterday for the first time........... excellent movie. If you haven't watched it, you should. Masterful performances by Robbins and Freeman.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #240
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

I also watched the squid and the whale recently. I was very impressed by it, particularly the first 45 minutes or so. I felt that the ending was somewhat forced, though still good overall. Noah Baumbach, the writer and directer, co-wrote The Life Aquatic. Wes Anderson was also one of the producers of this film, and the Anderson influence is obvious.

I also recently saw Lawrence of Arabia and Pickpocket.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?