Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting Dirk Article

Really well written piece, IMO. Even the most loyal Dirk supporter would have to admit there's some truth to this.

From Henry Abbot at TrueHoop:

Link

Do Well-Adjusted Athletes Lead Championship Teams?
October 22, 2007 10:57 AM
I'm sure they do. I'm sure they have. I'm sure they can.
But you have to wonder if it isn't better to be extremely single-minded.
When I was in high school, at one point, in some class or another, we read an essay by Carol S. Pearson about different archetypes we live by. (Bear with me.) There are several of them, and I don't remember the vast majority of the details.
But two have stuck with me, in horribly bastardized form. (With apologies to the author ...)
One archetype is the wanderer. The wanderer, essentially, seeks new experiences, trying on some level to figure out what's different about him or her from everything else going on. The wanderer, as you can imagine, is an open-minded learner.
Another archetype is the warrior. Whereas the wanderer walks into a room and says "hmm ... what's going on here, and is there a place for me?" the warrior walks into a room and says "let's rearrange this joint." It's about realizing there's something different about yourself, and remaking the world in your image. This is single-minded.
I was learning about this when Michael Jordan was a young NBA player. People were talking about Jordan "imposing his will on the game." Think about the many anecdotes of Jordan telling his teammates, essentially, to be more like him. Warrior. Straight warrior.
And ... not so much of a wanderer. Jordan cast a famously narrow net in search of expertise -- Tim Grover, David Falk, Phil Jackson, people Jordan knew in high school or at college. (Hiring from a narrow pool of friends is one of his weaknesses as an executive in Charlotte.)
One of my favorite Jordan stories is about the fact that when he was getting to know Abe and Irene Pollin, who were courting him to become part of the Wizards' organization, they served him salmon. He had spent decades in the finest restaurants in the world, and had even owned restaurants. Yet, reportedly, this meeting in January 2000 was the first time Michael Jordan ever ate salmon.
Single-minded warrior, check. Wanderer? Not really.
Now, compare that to Dirk Nowitzki, who just spent a good chunk of the summer literally wandering remote Australia. Here is Nowitzki, interviewed on NBA.com, preaching the gospel of new experience:
Best piece of basketball advice you received was...
It wasn't really basketball advice, but just keep your eyes and ears open, always learn. It is a good lesson for life too. You always want to improve. You can never think you learned it all in life. There is always something else coming. That is the same with basketball. You can always work on your game and be a better player and person.
Later in the same interview, Nowitzki talks about his parents (don't we all wish we had these parents?) who essentially encouraged him to wander.
How proud is your family that you made it to the NBA?
You can't really describe it. My whole family is my biggest fans. I could go 0-20 one night and my mom will still call me and be like "hey you did this and this good." They supported me from day one. They drove me around to practices all over when I played tennis, handball. They let me make my own decision. I was pretty decent in tennis and handball. When I said I wanted to stop, they didn't say a word, they said "hey it is whatever you want to do." Then I started playing basketball. They drove me to basketball practice, to the games. So they have been really supportive of my sport career. They come over here every year for like two or three weeks and they love to be here, love to see me play. With the National Team in the summer, they travel wherever I go and try to watch. I grew up in a very close family and it has been great.
As I recall, Pearson suggests success comes from balancing these and other archetypes in your own life. I suspect that's good advice. (I also suspect that you do best in life by playing the cards you are dealt. It's not like Nowitzki could or should just decide to become brutal.)
But in the particular and bizarre game known as being a basketball superhero -- and here being a team leader may differ from being a supporting player -- I am quite certain that rules of the game are tilted heavily in favor of warriors.
And that's where I can't help thinking back to how Dallas was booted from the playoffs in the first round of the playoffs earlier this year. No, it wasn't all Dirk Nowitzki's fault. Yes, Golden State (irony alert, they're called "the Warriors!") was inspired.
But when I was watching those games on TV, I feel like I could see Dirk Nowitzki saying to the Warriors: What are you going to give me? I have this move and that move and this other one, and I'll use whichever one you will let me use. And the Warriors essentially replied that he couldn't have any of those.
And Nowitzki was thrown for a loop. He was not prepared to re-shape that game in his image. He wasn't single-minded in obliterating the obstacles.
Instead he had the wanderer's response. He was open-minded in trying to think of better ways around those obstacles.
That wanderer's approach is perfect in a lot of settings. Who's against learning? It doesn't deliver push-button results, though. It takes time to wander. I will just bet you that if you were to let Dirk Nowitzki replay that series against Golden State right now -- after a summer of replaying that meltdown in his mind -- he would do much better.
But when the clock is ticking and a playoff series is coming to a close, don't you think Mark Cuban and thousands of Maverick fans wish Nowitzki was a little more of a warrior and a little less of a wanderer?
This is not to say that Dirk Nowitzki didn't earn his MVP award. This is not to say that he isn't a magnificent player, and the most skilled player by far on one of the best teams of recent years. But for a few bounces of the ball, and some debatable calls, Nowitzki would have Dwyane Wade's ring on his finger.

I don't know if the Mavericks are serious in their rumored pursuit of Kobe Bryant. And if so, I don't know if they would consider including Dirk Nowitzki in such a deal. But if they ever do consider trading Nowitzki for Bryant? I would have to suspect that it's not because the Mavericks would feel they needed a better scorer, a better teammate, or a bigger star. It would be because they felt they needed a full-time warrior, and whether or not Nowitzki can bring that is still unclear.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Like a lot of other stuff we've seen since early May (and, in fact, since the '06 Finals), I feel that this article overanalyzes the situation.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's right on point, at least when it comes to the Warriors series. One of Dirk's best attributes is his unwillingness to force things. It's what makes him so incredibly efficient.

But in the playoffs, there are times when this team needs Dirk to force things, to quit taking what is given to him and simply take it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-22-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say, "But Duncan." Then I remembered that becoming a Wizard is the next step in a progression after being a warrior. (These are Jungian archetypes, right?) I've heard Duncan plays a lot of Dungeons and Dragons. But then, by Jungian archetypes, Duncan is better than Jordan. Of course, they are also progressions, and Dirk might move into Warriorhood. Or the Mavs could go get Kobe the Warrior via trade for Howard the water carrier, and Dirk can do anything but regress and it wouldn't matter so much.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 10-22-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

How many championships did jordan win without pippen again? How many did Duncan win by himself? Shaq? Yea...that's what I thought, none.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
How many championships did jordan win without pippen again? How many did Duncan win by himself? Shaq? Yea...that's what I thought, none.
I don't think Dirk is being scrutinized for losing. I think it has more to do with how bad he played in those last two series. Jordan, Shaq, Duncan lost...but did they ever have a series like the Warrior one...where you just couldn't tell that a franchise player was on the floor? I think that's why he is taking so much heat, especially when the MVP award is thrown into the mix.

It reminds me of how badly Karl Malone was scrutinized after the 2 Finals with the Bulls. He failed in the biggest moments and had some pretty bad performances when the Jazz lost....

Last edited by kingmalaki; 10-22-2007 at 11:08 PM.
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh he's being scrutinized for losing all right and the author is trying to put some sort of mind-game on why. I have to go back to being 0-3 against the warriors all year. And the one game at home that dirk did pull out all by his lonesome.

In general I don't buy all of this head-game gobbley-gook. I think the team with the most talent (and the best coach) wins games.

Obviously for the GSWs I have to throw matchups out there some as well. Because the mavs obviously had more talent, but they got their assess handed to them by GS all year. Not to mention blowouts in the series.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 10-22-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh he's being scrutinized for losing all right and the author is trying to put some sort of mind-game on why. I have to go back to being 0-3 against the warriors all year. And the one game at home that dirk did pull out all by his lonesome.

In general I don't buy all of this head-game gobbley-gook. I think the team with the most talent (and the best coach) wins games.

Obviously for the GSWs I have to throw matchups out there some as well. Because the mavs obviously had more talent, but they got their assess handed to them by GS all year. Not to mention blowouts in the series.
Agreed. We lost because GS played better basketball--not because of some psychological stuff.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

He has the single minded focus of a warrior. Anybody that has followed his career know how important this thing is to him.

The frustrating thing about Dirk is that you know that it's there. We've seen it. We've seen him rip teams heart in their arena and we've seen him step up when a career underachiever like Tim Thomas tries to back him down.

We also seen him go into a shell when Shaq hit him in the mouth and lose confidence in himself in the Golden State series.

I don't think you can easily lump him into one of the two categories but there are some things that he's going to need to work out for us to win a title.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #10
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:

Oh, I think the article is drivel. I'm just saying those are the reasons that articles like this keep coming out. Dirk still has plenty of time for redemption though, and is still on a very good team. Win and all is forgotton (look at Manning this year, who didn't even play that well in the SB run).
Old 10-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

You think talent is what elevated Michael Jordan above other superstars in the NBA? You think there's a real big difference in the talent level of say, Kobe, and what Jordan's talent level was?

Cause I certainly don't.

There's a lot more to a superstar than talent, and a whole, whole lot more to a title team than talent.

I'm not saying I think Dirk can't lead this team to a title. I certainly believe he can.

But every player has weaknesses, and I think a weakness of Dirk's is his desire to bend, be flexible, not force things, not be the alpha male on the team. It's what makes him so dang likeable. But I think it's a slight weakness on the basketball court.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 10-23-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #12
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

For all the talk about Dirk benefitting from escaping Nash's shadow (how silly does that look in retrospect?), it remains clear that Dirk is at his best when he plays with other world-class players. I don't know that Dirk has the mindset of being the one-and-only type player, like a Jordan or a Kobe or a T-Mac. I think he WANTS to be a flawless cog in a flawless machine.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
For all the talk about Dirk benefitting from escaping Nash's shadow (how silly does that look in retrospect?), it remains clear that Dirk is at his best when he plays with other world-class players. I don't know that Dirk has the mindset of being the one-and-only type player, like a Jordan or a Kobe or a T-Mac. I think he WANTS to be a flawless cog in a flawless machine.
I would agree with this, if I'd never seen Dirk play for Germany. Dirk plays in Germany the way I wish he would play here, dominating the ball, going out of his comfort zone to make things happen, because he must.

The ability is there, it's the willingness to say "You know what, these next few trips down the court, a bad shot from me is better than a good shot from anyone else. It's time for me to score." On team Germany, he tends to have no choice. Here, he has other options.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
I would agree with this, if I'd never seen Dirk play for Germany. Dirk plays in Germany the way I wish he would play here, dominating the ball, going out of his comfort zone to make things happen, because he must.

The ability is there, it's the willingness to say "You know what, these next few trips down the court, a bad shot from me is better than a good shot from anyone else. It's time for me to score." On team Germany, he tends to have no choice. Here, he has other options.
True, but the international game is a different game, and it's certainly not a knock on Dirk to surmise that he's better suited for it. That's his comfort zone. In the international game they don't throw a Jackson or Marion or Bowen at him. And they generally play a much more motion offense than the Mavs play.

That's where it becomes less a head-game thing and more a schematic thing. My point of view is that if you give Dirk a good matchup he will absolutely kill you, all day long. But in the last couple playoff series he hasn't been getting that.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM   #15
dude1394
Guru

From another blog. This person pretty much encompasses my opinion on this.

Quote:
The killer instinct is a silly jock myth. Don't tell me that Duncan and Parker have it. They're just good players like Dirk. Teams win championships these days, not individuals (unless the basketball gods smile on them like Dwayne Wade). Dallas leaned way too much on Nowitzki. Look for Josh and Devin making bigger contributions this coming postseason. They'll be the real key, not Dirk having more "killer instinct". People should really get over that. I'm sure Dirk has.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I thought Josh and Devin were the only Mavs that DIDN'T have a bad series last year.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
Actually, I thought Josh and Devin were the only Mavs that DIDN'T have a bad series last year.
They were. Josh and Devin were not the problem last year in the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

Diop looked pretty solid too, considering how many minutes he had to play... He was always hustling on defense, even if he couldn't help us on offense...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

The author is not saying they had a bad series. He is saying that Howard and Harris will be relied on even more in the playoffs than they were last year. Golden State could swarm Dirk and the Mavs couldn't win. If Howard and Harris grow to the point of being good/great, then if a team decides to swarm Dirk... then Howard and Harris will carry the team to wins.

Just like SA has in their trio. Shut down Duncan soring... and Parker becomes the MVP of the Finals. (In 05, Detroit shut down Duncan and Manu went OFF for 3 straight games.)
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
The author is not saying they had a bad series. He is saying that Howard and Harris will be relied on even more in the playoffs than they were last year. Golden State could swarm Dirk and the Mavs couldn't win. If Howard and Harris grow to the point of being good/great, then if a team decides to swarm Dirk... then Howard and Harris will carry the team to wins.

Just like SA has in their trio. Shut down Duncan soring... and Parker becomes the MVP of the Finals. (In 05, Detroit shut down Duncan and Manu went OFF for 3 straight games.)
Egg--zactly.. And it appears that way already in pre-season.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I said it last year and ill say it again, one of dirks greatest strengths doubles as his greatest weakness. The reason the mavs can win when dirk plays poorly is that he wont ever have a 5 for 30 game. he might have a 4-20 game or something like that but when he plays poorly, he still rarely turns the ball over and generally limits his shots. That gets annoying to fans but it also leaves enough shots that if the rest of the team is playing well and taking advantage of the insane amount of attention he receives the mavs can still win. The thing is if no one else is playing well it just makes it look like hes scared. The reason the mavs can win even if dirk doesnt play great and teams like the lakers really cant when someone like kobe doesnt isnt necesarrily because the mavs have more talent. Its because of the nature of their games. Kobe takes such an insane amount of the lakers shots that he has to play well. If not theres really just not enough shots left for the rest of the team to bail him out.

This can be considered being a wanderer(and i do think dirk has alot of wanderer traits) but he also is one of the toughest athletes ive ever seen. Anyone who has watched his entire career and questions his toughness is either a hater or an idiot or both.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #22
kingmalaki

Quote:
From another blog. This person pretty much encompasses my opinion on this.
Naw, I think the killer instinct is a real thing. It is the difference between T-Mac and Kobe when the game is on the line (and I love T-Mac). Every team needs help to win, but in most cases those star players step up in crucial moments. I saw Bird do it to us twice...I saw Hakeem do it to the Spurs...I have seen Duncan do it...I saw Dirk do it against SA (driving the lane Game 7, refusing to be deined), etc.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmalaki
Naw, I think the killer instinct is a real thing. It is the difference between T-Mac and Kobe when the game is on the line (and I love T-Mac). Every team needs help to win, but in most cases those star players step up in crucial moments. I saw Bird do it to us twice...I saw Hakeem do it to the Spurs...I have seen Duncan do it...I saw Dirk do it against SA (driving the lane Game 7, refusing to be deined), etc.
i have also seen kobe single handedly cost the lakers quite a few games with this "refuse to be denied attitude"
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #24
kingmalaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
i have also seen kobe single handedly cost the lakers quite a few games with this "refuse to be denied attitude"
I agree, but I would rather have a superstar that begs for the ball and wants to take over in the clutch than one who is ok with being passive and letting the game come to him. You take the good with the bad in both situations.

I don't even like Kobe...but with a game on the line he is probably #1 on my list as far as dudes who I want to have the ball.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 AM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I agree, but I would rather have a superstar that begs for the ball and wants to take over in the clutch than one who is ok with being passive and letting the game come to him. You take the good with the bad in both situations.

I don't even like Kobe...but with a game on the line he is probably #1 on my list as far as dudes who I want to have the ball.
and i think thats an incredibly bad decision. You are more than welcome to your opinion but i dont see any valid basis for that opinion whatsoever. He hasnt just cost them as many games as hes won them in clutch situations. Hes cost them MORE games than hes won them in close situations.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 AM   #26
kingmalaki

Quote:
and i think thats an incredibly bad decision. You are more than welcome to your opinion but i dont see any valid basis for that opinion whatsoever. He hasnt just cost them as many games as hes won them in clutch situations. Hes cost them MORE games than hes won them in close situations.
How are you coming to that conclusion? I don't watch every Laker game, but in the close ones I have seen Kobe's success ratio in the clutch is better than most I have seen. This is pre and post Shaq. Are you trying to say that he ballhogs during the game and keeps his team from winning in the end or something?

During the title runs he was the closer and very successful at it. Post Shaq he has carried a not so talented squad to the playoffs twice. I can only think of two instances where he really cost the team, and that was the Finals against the Pistons (he shot horribly, was jacking, while Shaq was scoring at ease) and his first playoff series against Utah with the consecutive airballs.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #27
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
How are you coming to that conclusion? I don't watch every Laker game, but in the close ones I have seen Kobe's success ratio in the clutch is better than most I have seen. This is pre and post Shaq. Are you trying to say that he ballhogs during the game and keeps his team from winning in the end or something?

During the title runs he was the closer and very successful at it. Post Shaq he has carried a not so talented squad to the playoffs twice. I can only think of two instances where he really cost the team, and that was the Finals against the Pistons (he shot horribly, was jacking, while Shaq was scoring at ease) and his first playoff series against Utah with the consecutive airballs.
I mean he misses more shots with games on the line than anyone in the nba. THere used to be the kobe anti clutch log on insidehoops.com but i havent been there in forever. Also those lakers are ALOT more talented than people think. They are poorly constructed(their 2nd and third best players are both sfs in odom and luke walton) but they have a hell of alot more talent than people act like they do, specifically odom. Hes a BEAST.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #28
kingmalaki

Quote:
I mean he misses more shots with games on the line than anyone in the nba. THere used to be the kobe anti clutch log on insidehoops.com but i havent been there in forever. Also those lakers are ALOT more talented than people think. They are poorly constructed(their 2nd and third best players are both sfs in odom and luke walton) but they have a hell of alot more talent than people act like they do, specifically odom. Hes a BEAST.
So are you not taking into account all the other time in the clutch, besides just taking a game winner? For example, when player X is just taking over in the last 10 minutes of a game, etc? I see Kobe do that more than most (Arenas is up there too).

The Lakers don't plain suck but they don't have enough talent to seriously compete in the West, especially considering they have no good bigs....
Old 10-24-2007, 12:43 AM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
So are you not taking into account all the other time in the clutch, besides just taking a game winner? For example, when player X is just taking over in the last 10 minutes of a game, etc? I see Kobe do that more than most (Arenas is up there too).

The Lakers don't plain suck but they don't have enough talent to seriously compete in the West, especially considering they have no good bigs....
no i mean specifically that. In late game situations alot of times kobes "refuse to be denied attitude" leads to him dribbling around for 20 seconds and then jacking up a stupid jumper and missing quite a few times. When he makes them they look awesome because they are such tough shots but for the most part they are his own fault for putting himself in that situation.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no i mean specifically that. In late game situations alot of times kobes "refuse to be denied attitude" leads to him dribbling around for 20 seconds and then jacking up a stupid jumper and missing quite a few times. When he makes them they look awesome because they are such tough shots but for the most part they are his own fault for putting himself in that situation.
[useless comment] Last couple of playoff series included Terry dribbling around for 20 seconds while Dirk tries to get position before finally getting the ball for some stupid (usually missed) jumper. So, if Terry were to be part of a Kobe trade, then at least the mavs would have a much more capable person dribbling around for 20 seconds.[/useless comment]
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:30 AM   #31
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Its not only the dribbling around for 20 seconds that is the downfall with our guards, it's their inability to throw an entry pass. I hope Eddie Jones who has played with Shaq and Gasol can execute this better and Hassell who has played with KG.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #32
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

There is definitely some substance to Dirk's personality being too laid back and not having a killer instinct. Examples:

When he talks about last year, he says that they just ran into a hot team. This is his excuse for losing in the first round. If that was the case, then you'd think that Golden State would have won the title, when in fact they lost in the next round. They looked pretty ordinary against Utah, who did exactly what Dirk wouldn't do -take the ball inside.

What he should be saying is... "we weren't good enough".... "we failed"... "my game needs work". So, this tells us that he's just happy to get another chance this year, and maybe he will be on the hot team.

I can't believe that he didn't work his ass off this summer adding an inside game. Wander around in Australia? I can guarantee you that's not what I would have done. After a couple of weeks of depression, I'd have been hiring anyone I could find to teach me post moves. I'd have been hitting the gym. I'd have been embarassed about what happened last year. Dirk on the other hand just says.. ho hum.

Anyone watch Dirk in the All-Star games? He's just happy to be there and defer to the others.

Everyone just has to accept that Dirk is not strong-willed, is not a warrior, is not a take-charge guy. That doesn't mean that he can't be a big part of a championship team. It just means that he isn't the leader or go-to guy. Maybe he's still the top scorer, but someone else has to take the bull by the horns. Hence, why Avery is pushing Josh and Devin to be leaders.

And, it really doesn't mean anything that Dirk is "bothered" by the failures. Just because it keeps him up at night, doesn't mean that he's going to do anything more than he would do anyway. All of that is just talk. Where is the action? I don't seem him being any more determined than before the failures against Miami and GS.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 AM   #33
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I am proud to call Dirk a Maverick. Don't change big German.

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #34
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
There is definitely some substance to Dirk's personality being too laid back and not having a killer instinct. Examples:

When he talks about last year, he says that they just ran into a hot team. This is his excuse for losing in the first round. If that was the case, then you'd think that Golden State would have won the title, when in fact they lost in the next round. They looked pretty ordinary against Utah, who did exactly what Dirk wouldn't do -take the ball inside.

What he should be saying is... "we weren't good enough".... "we failed"... "my game needs work". So, this tells us that he's just happy to get another chance this year, and maybe he will be on the hot team.

I can't believe that he didn't work his ass off this summer adding an inside game. Wander around in Australia? I can guarantee you that's not what I would have done. After a couple of weeks of depression, I'd have been hiring anyone I could find to teach me post moves. I'd have been hitting the gym. I'd have been embarassed about what happened last year. Dirk on the other hand just says.. ho hum.

Anyone watch Dirk in the All-Star games? He's just happy to be there and defer to the others.

Everyone just has to accept that Dirk is not strong-willed, is not a warrior, is not a take-charge guy. That doesn't mean that he can't be a big part of a championship team. It just means that he isn't the leader or go-to guy. Maybe he's still the top scorer, but someone else has to take the bull by the horns. Hence, why Avery is pushing Josh and Devin to be leaders.

And, it really doesn't mean anything that Dirk is "bothered" by the failures. Just because it keeps him up at night, doesn't mean that he's going to do anything more than he would do anyway. All of that is just talk. Where is the action? I don't seem him being any more determined than before the failures against Miami and GS.
Are you honestly questioning dirks work ethic in the off season???? There are reasons to question dirk but that damn sure isnt one of them. As for the "we failed, my game needs work "and so forth comments have you even read any of his comments from the last two years??? Hes said that too much.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day1MavsFan
stupid shit not worth repeating
You contradicted yourself in laughable fashion. First you said Dirk needs to stop acting like losing is no big deal and instead talk about what a huge failure he is. Then you say it doesn't matter what he says in the interviews about how much losing bothers him! And no shit there's no action, the season hasn't started yet.

I can't believe you judge his heart by his attitude at the ALL STAR GAME. I wouldn't even say he's happy to be there; it's more like he's there just because. The fact he doesn't care a crap about it is a positive thing; he knows when the game is important and when it isn't.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 10-25-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

I know ranger fans are thrilled that they have had the all star game mvp 2(and should have been 3) of the last 5 years. Who cares that they never made the playoffs. Blalock, young and soriano showed great heart and desire by winning the all star games...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #37
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Agreed. We lost because GS played better basketball--not because of some psychological stuff.
Actually the pysch game is more important than we think. It has alot to do with the outcome of playoff series. Overall, the team with the biggest fighter on the court usually wins.

Against GS in the playoff last season this is how it went as far as pysch game:

I am being serious as well !!!!

Nellie to his team:
Stephen I want you to smack Dirk all over the place from the start of the series. I promise, if you bully Dirk enough, he will fold. I know this because I have coached him for all of his career. This is what I need you to do in order to beat the Mavs. If we get Dirk mentally out of the game, everything else will follow in our favor.

This happened to MJ early in his career, until he woke up and toughened up. First thing the coach did, was to get an enforcer (Oakley), who controlled the game mentally. If you messed with MJ, you had to deal with Oakley and company. Same thing happened with the Pistons when the Lakers used to beat up on them. Pistons got smart and got tough and became the Bad Boyz. Rockets had several brute players that played enforcer, even Akeem was. The newer Lakers had Shaq. Newer Pistons had B.Wallace. SA has a collection of players that play dirty and rough. Namely Bowen, and Duncan. Heat had Shaq, Zo,Haslem to be enforcers on Dirk and the lane. The Mavs are still lacking that type of player. We need a player that will hit you in the mouth at anytime. Stack is a bit like one, but it takes too much to get him mad. We need a real thug type on this team to smack people in the mouth for even THINKING about bullying Dirk.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #38
alby
Guru

Chicago didn't start winning championships until they lost Oak

Contact Me
Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #39
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
So are you saying teams dont need an enforcer type to win a title? Because the fact remains that a great majority of championship teams had an enforcer type on the team that did the dirty work.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #40
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Well that got tougher with him as they were taking their bruises, but this is also when MJ and Pippen both became enforcer types as well. Oh, I 4got, Horace Grant was the enforcer as well.