Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas/LAC

If someone has already proposed this, forgive me.

How about this?

Dallas trades: Jason Terry, Devean George, Juwan Howard, and a No. 1 pick in 2008
Dallas receives: Corey Maggette and Sam Cassell

Why the Clippers do it: Sam Cassell is a free agent at the end of the year and will probably walk anyway. He's also near the end of his career, and the Clippers stink. By the time they get Brand back and add enough other pieces, Cassell won't be able to help them. A Terry for Maggette deal was on the table during the summer, and acquiring Terry gives them a guy who can play opposite Livingston in the backcourt for the next few years. As a bonus, they get a late first rounder to add another useful piece.

Why the Mavs do it:

Dampier - Diop
Nowitzki - Bass
Howard - Stackhouse
Maggette - Jones
Harris - Cassell

Enough said.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Nice trade KG. I'd definitely do it and I think LA would have to really consider it.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Cuban should be willing to send cash to buy out Howard if necessary, and freeing up the roster spot (hat tip to Drizzle at LMF) would allow the Mavs to add another player if a useful one became available.

I think the Clips would probably consider it. Don't know if they'd do it, but they obviously had interest in Terry as recently as the summer.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly works for me. Adds some much-needed balance to the roster.

Let's say they will do it, but only with Bass instead of George or Howard. Still interested?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Sure. Bass is another one-hit wonder ... do I hear Najera, Thomas, Daniels ...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Maggette would be awesome. We need somebody that goes to the rim.

But wouldn't they insist upon Josh?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
It certainly works for me. Adds some much-needed balance to the roster.

Let's say they will do it, but only with Bass instead of George or Howard. Still interested?
That's a tough call, because of what Bass brings against smaller teams, but yes. I would also include Diop instead of George if they'd rather have him, but I don't think they would given his expiring deal.

Last edited by kg_veteran; 02-13-2008 at 11:51 AM.
kg_veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

The deal in the original post is a 110% yes. That would be a FANTASTIC deal for the Mavs.

I'm a lot more hesitant to include Bass. We've finally found someone who can (sort of) post up and play rough under the basket.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
The deal in the original post is a 110% yes. That would be a FANTASTIC deal for the Mavs.

I'm a lot more hesitant to include Bass. We've finally found someone who can (sort of) post up and play rough under the basket.
I'm sure that's why Chum brought it up. Any time a deal looks fantastic, the odds are the other team ain't gonna think it's so fantastic.

Most good trades involve give-and-take. I don't really want to give up Bass, but if that's what I've got to do to obtain a legit starting SG, round out the starting lineup ,and shore up our backcourt with a legit backup PG (with skins on the wall), I'll do it.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

On the positive side of things, I seriously doubt the Clippers would want Bass, since they are planning on re-signing Brand.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
NewMexiMav

NewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to beholdNewMexiMav is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Maggette would be awesome. We need somebody that goes to the rim.

But wouldn't they insist upon Josh?
I think the Mavs could get this done without parting with Josh, but I agree with Chum that the Clips will want some upside on this deal and Bass would be the bait to get them interested. If Juwan Howard had anything left in the tank, it would be one thing, but his bag looks so empty, I think it's gonna take Bass. Even with the anticipated re-signing of Brand, Bass would help the Clips at the 4 now and would become Brand's backup when he returns from injury.

Don't get me wrong, I love Bass and don't want to deal him, but in this league ya gotta give somethin' to get somethin'.

It's problematic though. I know the Mavs view Bass as a nice, athletic piece to match up with the Suns, Warriors, etc. Unfortunately, he's also probably the most tradeable, "non-core player" asset the Mavs have. As much as the Mavs would like to keep Bass and the match up options he presents, I think you do this deal because you are solving (or at least shoring up) 3 obvious problem areas: 1) No quality starting SG; 2) No quality backup PG; and 3) no consistent slasher to the hoop.

Last edited by NewMexiMav; 02-13-2008 at 12:29 PM.
NewMexiMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

r u kidding?
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

maggette, brevin knight
for
terry, bass, howard, pick, cash

or replace terry with stack. either one works and i think so much better for mavs in the future and playoffs than acquiring kidd

Last edited by scorched03; 02-13-2008 at 11:43 PM.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #14
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

kg, you need another category:

Why George does it:
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this trade better than the Kidd one because it strengthens up the weakest link.... the SG.

The Kidd trade should be an upgrade, but how much an upgrade?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote