Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #41
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007
WHAT? First of all you don't know what JSmith will be. Second he is > than Howard and with this roster it would be better!

JS 6'9'' 235 17ppg/8rpg/2.8blk/1.5stl/3.4apg *Better all around defender and can run catch lobs all night.

JH 6'7'' 210 19ppg/7rpg/.42blk/.78stl/2apg
J.Smith will NEVER be "ROBIN" in my books!!!! NEVER!!!! He is a good, solid, young player with mad hops. As of matter of fact, lets just call him a younger version of S.Marion, w/o the 3pt threat. Now, I do think J.Smith would do great with the Suns, but in OUR system, he is NOT better than J.Howard.. PERIOD!!!! J.Smith would be a better fit than J.Howard with the Suns.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #42
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty sad that JS averages more dimes than JH... goes to show you how bad of a team player JH really is lol

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #43
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
J.Smith will NEVER be "ROBIN" in my books!!!! NEVER!!!! He is a good, solid, young player with mad hops. As of matter of fact, lets just call him a younger version of S.Marion, w/o the 3pt threat. Now, I do think J.Smith would do great with the Suns, but in OUR system, he is NOT better than J.Howard.. PERIOD!!!! J.Smith would be a better fit than J.Howard with the Suns.
Eh you can call him what you want but in REALITY JS>JHO!!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #44
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^ not true. Josh Childress would.. and wmbwinn is talking about the wrong Josh.
or Boki Nachbar.

Quote:
I disagree. With Josh Smith's freakish athletic ability above the rim and Jason Kidd's play making..that would work out very well for us. Josh Smith attacks the basket..like Josh Howard used to do back in the day. IMO Josh Smith also is a better defender than Josh Howard..and has a better reputation in the league as one. Rep matters with refs....and on D-M so gimme some positive ones
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #45
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
It's pretty sad that JS averages more dimes than JH... goes to show you how bad of a team player JH really is lol
Yeah, but who is the pt guard for Atl?????? Seems to me that everyone is the pt guard to get assists with the Hawks. I think those numbers are a little inflated. There offense does not really go through the point guard to set people up to score, so I think players assists numbers there are a bit inflated. JMVHO..
Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #46
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball
or Boki Nachbar.

I disagree. With Josh Smith's freakish athletic ability above the rim and Jason Kidd's play making..that would work out very well for us. Josh Smith attacks the basket..like Josh Howard used to do back in the day. IMO Josh Smith also is a better defender than Josh Howard..and has a better reputation in the league as one. Rep matters with refs....and on D-M so gimme some positive ones
Ok, lets dig a little deeper into the impact of these two players. A Robin type of players numbers are not as good with a true Superstar, as it would be as "Robin" type of player with NO true Superstar on the team..Would you first agree with that????? Clearly Hawks have ZERO Superstars or a clear #1 option or a #1 point guard.

For the most part the league/fans/coaches rewards the play of players be electing the player to the All-Star game right? Would you agree? Howard does have an All-Star, and he just about made it this year as well.

Wins/Losses matter when you are talking about the impact of a player right? Clearly Howard's team has alot better record than J.Smith team.

Playoff Experience is a big factor when comparing players right???? Yes!!! J.Howard has plenty of playoff experience and wins, and also a Finals experience.

Now, I factor all of this with the fact that for a career J.Howard has better numbers by scoring average, fg%, ft% and 3-pt% !!!!

So, I will stick with J.Howard as the better player!!!!! Oh yeah, I almost 4got about an impact player being able to take over a game early or in the crunch as well. J.Howard is best known to impact the game early, but NOT late. On the other hand, J.Smith has been known to have a highlight dunk each game..

I say, JOSH HOWARD is the better player for the Mavs.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 07-22-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #47
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

How close was Howard to making the All Star team last year? Anybody have the solid data?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #48
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Still J-ho is not a good passer

Last edited by MaVs 41 BaLler; 07-22-2008 at 09:09 PM.
MaVs 41 BaLler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Clearly Hawks have ZERO Superstars or a clear #1 option or a #1 point guard.
Joe Johnson isn't a #1? ok..

Bibby isn't a good PG? Not every team can have a superstar PG in fact there are about 5 that are a clear overall cut above the rest. Some are just better than avg like Bibby, which is fine. You can win with him.

As far as you taking Howard over JSmith well I can respect your VHO but MHO is that you stand on an island where there are not too many others on all this.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #50
bao_down1

bao_down1 is on a distinguished road

No i wouldnt.

I see Josh Smith as "overated "
All he does that catches eyes are blocks and dunks.
Remember the airball in playoffs?
He sucks

DIRK "guiding teams to championships"

-Thats what i do..
bao_down1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #51
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Joe Johnson isn't a #1? ok..

Bibby isn't a good PG? Not every team can have a superstar PG in fact there are about 5 that are a clear overall cut above the rest. Some are just better than avg like Bibby, which is fine. You can win with him.

As far as you taking Howard over JSmith well I can respect your VHO but MHO is that you stand on an island where there are not too many others on all this.
No, Joe is not a clear #1, but he is the BEST player on the team and a very good player. He is not a #1 the demands the ball or team runs through him. He gets his in the flow of a game w/o offense centered around him like a true #1. And no, Bibby is NOT a good pg at this stage of his career. He is more of an SG in a PG body in the mode of Terry.

I really dont think I would be too alone on that island. Have you noticed that the ones that are making your point are all newbies here for the most part Most old heads here would be on that island as well Come to think about it, that island would be alot of fun. I think I would choose The Turks & Caicos Islands as the meeting spot for this great summit...
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #52
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bao_down1
No i wouldnt.

I see Josh Smith as "overated "
All he does that catches eyes are blocks and dunks.
Remember the airball in playoffs?
He sucks
Ya the airball. Like you dont remember kobe doing that 4 times against utah. Or dirk in the all-star game. Lebron. It happens to all players. He will give us better defense then josh. And the dunks are important because those will change the momentum of the game. Besides if he were on dallas dirk would be taking the big shots.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #53
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I want Josh Smith just to see him and Gerald Green in the same lineup with Kidd.

Talk about Alley-Oop galore.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #54
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, do people honestly believe that Josh Howard is better than Josh Smith?

Contact Me
Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #55
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I want Josh Smith just to see him and Gerald Green in the same lineup with Kidd.

Talk about Alley-Oop galore.
I guess you want to see the ole New Jersey Nets playing today against what the NBA has turned to with title WINNERS? The last New Jersey type team to win a NBA title was the 1988(?) Lakers.

I am NOT for the showtime type here in Dallas. I want the hard nose type play here that wins titles. We have won enough games to curve any thirst for wins. I want titles. Now, we do have to get more athletic, but I dont see J.Smith as a legtimate #2 option behind Dirk...As of matter of fact, he is NOT even a #2 option with the Hawks!!!! But, we want to bring him to Dallas as the #2 option???????? Come on, I think too highly of OUR team to say that J.Smith is our #2 option to win in the playoffs.

Howard has done great here during his time, and he has caused many problems for other teams, and other coaches will tell you the same thing. His last 1/3 of last season was bad, but b4 that he was in my eyes our best player for many stretches of the season. Then, he topped it all off with the smoking pot thing. Very stupid and dumb on his part, but in the end, he is a better fit and player than J.Smith. As of matter of fact, even the NBA coaches have said this, by their support of J.Howard for All-Stars. It was also discussed highly that everyone though J.Howard should have been named an All-Star last season with the last spot on the Western conference roster. Not ONCE did I hear anything about J.Smith as an All-Star. As of matter of fact, not ONCE have I heard talk about J.Smith as an All-Star. I have not heard it from fan votes, nor have we heard it from coaches who decide the alternates for All-Stars.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #56
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

Comon seriously howard is nothing compared to this dude.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2VXFw6-uDxY

He will be the vince carter for kidd on this team.
I would consider giving up bass also in a deal for this man.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #57
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I guess you want to see the ole New Jersey Nets playing today against what the NBA has turned to with title WINNERS? The last New Jersey type team to win a NBA title was the 1988(?) Lakers.

I am NOT for the showtime type here in Dallas. I want the hard nose type play here that wins titles. We have won enough games to curve any thirst for wins. I want titles. Now, we do have to get more athletic, but I dont see J.Smith as a legtimate #2 option behind Dirk...As of matter of fact, he is NOT even a #2 option with the Hawks!!!! But, we want to bring him to Dallas as the #2 option???????? Come on, I think too highly of OUR team to say that J.Smith is our #2 option to win in the playoffs.

Howard has done great here during his time, and he has caused many problems for other teams, and other coaches will tell you the same thing. His last 1/3 of last season was bad, but b4 that he was in my eyes our best player for many stretches of the season. Then, he topped it all off with the smoking pot thing. Very stupid and dumb on his part, but in the end, he is a better fit and player than J.Smith. As of matter of fact, even the NBA coaches have said this, by their support of J.Howard for All-Stars. It was also discussed highly that everyone though J.Howard should have been named an All-Star last season with the last spot on the Western conference roster. Not ONCE did I hear anything about J.Smith as an All-Star. As of matter of fact, not ONCE have I heard talk about J.Smith as an All-Star. I have not heard it from fan votes, nor have we heard it from coaches who decide the alternates for All-Stars.
Man idk where your getting all this anti Smith stuff. But last time I checked the guy is a beats and very young. and I am sure he is the #2 option in ATL and would be here as well

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #58
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:

This argument may have carried weight in our old system where all we did was run isolation plays but from what I've been reading about Carlisle he wants a lot of movement and cuts to the basket. Smith would be the perfect player in that type of offense and with Kidd lobbing those perfect alley-oops all day he would be a terror to defend.

Howard on the other hand is best in isolation situations but stinks when it comes to playing team offense. When the ball hits his hands he's a black hole, he can't make decisions and his dribbling isn't good enough to bail him out of any kind of defensive trap.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #59
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This argument may have carried weight in our old system where all we did was run isolation plays but from what I've been reading about Carlisle he wants a lot of movement and cuts to the basket. Smith would be the perfect player in that type of offense and with Kidd lobbing those perfect alley-oops all day he would be a terror to defend.

Howard on the other hand is best in isolation situations but stinks when it comes to playing team offense. When the ball hits his hands he's a black hole, he can't make decisions and his dribbling isn't good enough to bail him out of any kind of defensive trap.

Yup, yup. Agree 100%
Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #60
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

Man i wish howard plays the way he plays in nba 2k7
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM   #61
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:

This team is slower pace team than you think. How many of those alley-oops you going to get to J.Smith while he shoots 21% from the 3pt line? Not many. Once again, we will see teams pack it in to make Kidd and J.Smith beat you from the outside. Can you imagine us taking our chances on Kidd and J.Smith from the outside???? Come on now, you guys do realize that J.Smith has zero outside shooting ability, and is not a back to the basket player as well. This guy needs the Suns type offense to excel, just like the free-lance offense that the Hawks run.

I dont want to see anymore players on the Mavs starting 5 that either does not have a 3pt threat or low post threat.

With Carlise, we will NOT run and gun like the Suns. You can bank on that, and we dont have the young legs to run and gun as well. We need hard nose tough guys, who can score, get to the rim, defend multiple positions and give us mental playoff toughness. Right now, I favor J.Howard in this role over J.Smith. On top of that, come late in games do you want a career 70% free throw shooter (J.Smith) in the game??? No!!!!!!

Either give me Artest for Howard, or Artest with Howard. I am not a fan of J.Smith for J.Howard, but I would take J.Smith and J.Howard playing together
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #62
alby
Guru

If Josh Smith is on the team, Terry would start at the 2. Boom, there's your outside shooting.

Contact Me
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #63
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Josh Smith is in his early 20's, He will get better every year and is much better for our team (and better than JHO currently) than JHO because of his inside play and defense.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #64
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all
Thumbs down

Quote:
This team is slower pace team than you think. How many of those alley-oops you going to get to J.Smith while he shoots 21% from the 3pt line? Not many. Once again, we will see teams pack it in to make Kidd and J.Smith beat you from the outside. Can you imagine us taking our chances on Kidd and J.Smith from the outside????
Did you watch the last 1/3 of the season? I'd rather have JKidd shooting outside than give the ball to JHoward and watch him take an ill-advised shot or display more of his Finley-esque ball handling skills. I don't care if his shooting percentage is better than Smith's, it literally pained me to see him get the ball unless it was a rebound.

Quote:
Either give me Artest for Howard, or Artest with Howard. I am not a fan of J.Smith for J.Howard, but I would take J.Smith and J.Howard playing together
Artest isn't coming here. Carlisle might want him, he may want to come here - but Cubes isn't about to throw Artest's team-killing ass into this locker room. He has too much money invested in it.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM   #65
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
No, Joe is not a clear #1, but he is the BEST player on the team and a very good player. He is not a #1 the demands the ball or team runs through him. He gets his in the flow of a game w/o offense centered around him like a true #1. And no, Bibby is NOT a good pg at this stage of his career. He is more of an SG in a PG body in the mode of Terry.

I really dont think I would be too alone on that island. Have you noticed that the ones that are making your point are all newbies here for the most part Most old heads here would be on that island as well Come to think about it, that island would be alot of fun. I think I would choose The Turks & Caicos Islands as the meeting spot for this great summit...

Joe Johnson IS a true #1 option! If ATL doesn't get him the ball then they do not have a good chance at winning.

I see plenty of people even "old head" posters saying J Smith >JHO. I was basically making a statement in general. Not just on this board but anyone that follows basketball (that doesn't live with JHO ) thinks the same. It's simple, JSmith is better and more valuable than Howard, especially with a PG like Kidd.

At least that island would never be boring as long as their are claims such as yours about this matter

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-25-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 AM   #66
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Joe Johnson IS a true #1 option! If ATL doesn't get him the ball then they do not have a good chance at winning.

I see plenty of people even "old head" posters saying J Smith >JHO. I was basically making a statement in general. Not just on this board but anyone that follows basketball (that doesn't live with JHO ) thinks the same. It's simple, JSmith is better and more valuable than Howard, especially with a PG like Kidd.

At least that island would never be boring as long as their are claims such as yours about this matter
You can keep that silly talk about J.Smith being better than J.Howard mess!!! Seriously, you have to be on crack to really feel that way, unless you are talking about MAYBE potential down the road. As far as past, it is very clear J.Howard is the better player, if this was NOT the case, then what you are saying is that J.Smith is a Western Conference All-Star, and we all know that has NEVER happened!!!! None of us knows the vote totals from the coaches, but we damn sure know there has been ZERO talk about J.Smith making the All-Stars...

I know alot of people are mad at J.Howard for his ending performance, but keep that in the back of your mind, because J.Howard carried this team for a while earlier this season up to the half way point.

J.Howard IS an All-star and his proven to be one on the court, and also in the playoffs, and has helped his team win several playoff series as the #2 option. Howard has helped as the #2 option to get the Mavs to the NBA finals, and has helped as the #2 option to give the Mavs the best regular season record ever for the franchise.

What has J.Smith done, besides win the Slam Dunk contest??????????? Name something!!!!!! I am waiting!!!! With a so called #1 you say in Joe Johnson, and your big talk about J.Smith being a better #2, then why have they NOT won a playoff series together???? Why have they made the playoffs only once since he has been there? With the way you talk, the Hawks should be title contenders, with a true # 1 and #2...Guess what, the Hawks are a long way from being a title contender, EVEN in the EAST!!!!

J.Smith is a good young player, but he is unproven!!! What has he done in the playoffs? What has he done against the Top tier teams in the regular season? EVER!!!!

And no!!!!!, ole heads as a whole has NOT said J.Smith is better than J.Howard!!!!!! Now, there are several of us very much have a bad taste in our mouth because of the poor play late in the season, and the smoking pot mess. But, I will give him a pass on his late play, because of all the deaths in his family, and loss of his best friend. J.Howard is young, so I think this wore on him. Now, for smoking pot, I give him ZERO excuses for that dumb mess.

For the record, I am a big Joe Johnson fan, but I dont call him a true #1, because if you put him on most Top Tier teams, he becomes the #2 option. IMVHO. If you put J.Howard and J.Smith on a team together as the top players, then J.Smith would still be the 2nd option. By the way, good luck getting J.Smith to score,once the defense sinks in. If you thought J.Howard made you mad last season. You would throw yourself on the wall with J.Smith outside shot. And last, good luck with the 70% free throw shooter as well in the crunch.

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 07-25-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:56 AM   #67
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
If Josh Smith is on the team, Terry would start at the 2. Boom, there's your outside shooting.
Alby,
I cant believe you would stoop down to that and NOW say start Terry at the 2 to get your outside shooting ??????????? Everyone here NO MATTER what, agrees we need to upgrade and get bigger at the SG position, and your answer is to get J.Smith and go back to small ball to win a title?????????

With J.Smith, we are in trouble and teams would sink farther into the lane to beat the Mavs. The person most effected by this would be Dirk. Oooh, yeah J.Smith shots about 21% from the 3pt line and career 70% from the free throw line. I can see Nellie going to the Hack-A-Smith against the Mavs
Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #68
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

I bet he's improved his FTs it's what all role players do.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #69
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler
I bet he's improved his FTs it's what all role players do.
I would bet he shots the free throw the same. This guy has 4 years experience in the league, so I dont see much improvement coming his way in ft%, for the simple fact that his outside shooting % has not come up, and the fact he shots about 21% from the 3pt line for a career. I cant see this kid in the gym shooting 1500 shots a day, for the simple fact he shoots 70% free throw and 21% from 3pt land. One thing is for sure. The Mavs offense WILL include the 3 pt shot from the SG,SF and PF position. We dont have an inside force, so you can bet your bottom dollar we will need shooters out there on the court as teams either double down on Dirk or sag into the lane.

Against Top tier teams the game will slow down (Except against the Suns) and be played in the half court setting, so that means J.Smith WILL be exposed against the Top teams. J.Smith will NOT be taking people one-on-one in isolation offenses as well. That is NOT him or his game. I will take MY battle tested J.Howard ALL day long!!!!!!! I think Dirk, Terry and Stack would agree as well on this. They are NOT here to have a young, unproven guy as the #2 option to carry them in the playoffs.

I will take the young, experienced, battle tested J.Howard over a young, inexperienced, no-tested J.Smith ALL day long. Especially with Dirk at the top of his career!!!

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 07-25-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #70
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
You can keep that silly talk about J.Smith being better than J.Howard mess!!! Seriously, you have to be on crack to really feel that way, unless you are talking about MAYBE potential down the road. As far as past, it is very clear J.Howard is the better player, if this was NOT the case, then what you are saying is that J.Smith is a Western Conference All-Star, and we all know that has NEVER happened!!!! None of us knows the vote totals from the coaches, but we damn sure know there has been ZERO talk about J.Smith making the All-Stars...

I know alot of people are mad at J.Howard for his ending performance, but keep that in the back of your mind, because J.Howard carried this team for a while earlier this season up to the half way point.

J.Howard IS an All-star and his proven to be one on the court, and also in the playoffs, and has helped his team win several playoff series as the #2 option. Howard has helped as the #2 option to get the Mavs to the NBA finals, and has helped as the #2 option to give the Mavs the best regular season record ever for the franchise.

What has J.Smith done, besides win the Slam Dunk contest??????????? Name something!!!!!! I am waiting!!!! With a so called #1 you say in Joe Johnson, and your big talk about J.Smith being a better #2, then why have they NOT won a playoff series together???? Why have they made the playoffs only once since he has been there? With the way you talk, the Hawks should be title contenders, with a true # 1 and #2...Guess what, the Hawks are a long way from being a title contender, EVEN in the EAST!!!!

J.Smith is a good young player, but he is unproven!!! What has he done in the playoffs? What has he done against the Top tier teams in the regular season? EVER!!!!

And no!!!!!, ole heads as a whole has NOT said J.Smith is better than J.Howard!!!!!! Now, there are several of us very much have a bad taste in our mouth because of the poor play late in the season, and the smoking pot mess. But, I will give him a pass on his late play, because of all the deaths in his family, and loss of his best friend. J.Howard is young, so I think this wore on him. Now, for smoking pot, I give him ZERO excuses for that dumb mess.

For the record, I am a big Joe Johnson fan, but I dont call him a true #1, because if you put him on most Top Tier teams, he becomes the #2 option. IMVHO. If you put J.Howard and J.Smith on a team together as the top players, then J.Smith would still be the 2nd option. By the way, good luck getting J.Smith to score,once the defense sinks in. If you thought J.Howard made you mad last season. You would throw yourself on the wall with J.Smith outside shot. And last, good luck with the 70% free throw shooter as well in the crunch.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #71
Nowitness41

Nowitness41 is on a distinguished road

Per Rotoworld....
Quote:

Josh Smith-F-Hawks Jul. 26 - 10:43 am et

The Hawks are weighing two sign-and-trade offers for restricted free agent Josh Smith, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Sekou Smith writes that the two offers come from "a Western Conference power and...an Eastern Conference big dog." Atlanta might not be willing to pay Smith what he feels he deserves, leaving either a sign-and-trade or the possibility that he will accept a qualifying offer and leave for nothing as an unrestricted free agent next summer. The last time Sekou hinted at a blockbuster trade Mike Bibby wound up in a Hawks uniform, so we're all ears.
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Old 07-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #72
alby
Guru

Well, since we aren't a Western Conference power, we're out of the Josh Smith sweepstakes.

Lakers - maybe, a package including Odumb
Hornets - no, West/Paul/Chandler are untouchable
Spurs - no, Duncan/Parker/Manu are untouchable
Rockets - unlikely, only if Tmac is included
Jazz - maybe, a package including AK
Suns - maybe, a package including Diaw/Barbosa
Mavs - maybe, a package including Howard
Nuggets - no, Iverson and Bibby play the same position

Contact Me
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #73
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I think the Mavs are still considered a Western Conference power (seriously) Taking into account the last 3-4 years and the fact that Kidd/Dirk will have a whole season together. I doubt we'll be fighting for the playoffs next year we should be a top 4 seed.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #74
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well, since we aren't a Western Conference power, we're out of the Josh Smith sweepstakes.

Lakers - maybe, a package including Odumb
Hornets - no, West/Paul/Chandler are untouchable
Spurs - no, Duncan/Parker/Manu are untouchable
Rockets - unlikely, only if Tmac is included
Jazz - maybe, a package including AK
Suns - maybe, a package including Diaw/Barbosa
Mavs - maybe, a package including Howard
Nuggets - no, Iverson and Bibby play the same position
and I just read a article which listed the Mavs as a powerhouse out in the West. So this is got me excited.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #75
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Per Hoopsworld
Negotiations are reportedly going nowhere between the Atlanta Hawks and restricted free agent Josh Smith. Smith is hoping for an annual salary in excess of $10 million while the Hawks are reluctant to meet his price.

It's easy to forget the Hawks won just 37 regular season games last season since what everyone remembers is Atlanta pushing the Boston Celtics to the brink in the first round. The cold hard truth is, though, that Atlanta really isn't anywhere close to contending. As such, giving Smith big-time money is a risky proposition. Moreover, with Mike Bibby scheduled to come off the books next summer, the Hawks could look to re-tool in the summer of 2009 or 2010.

At this stage, it looks like the Hawks best bet might be to sign and trade Josh Smith. Sekou Smith of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution indicated that a "Western Conference power" and an "Eastern Conference big dog" have already submitted offers to the Hawks, and that the team is currently in the process of weighing those offers.

Of course, any kind of sign and trade deal is harder than it appears at face value. If Smith signs a contract in excess of $10 million as it's expected he will, he will immediately become a Base Year Compensation (BYC) player due to the 20% increase in his salary. This means the Hawks could only take back 50% of Smith's BYC contract, which definitely complicates potential trade scenarios. It's possible that a third team might have to get involved in a number trade scenarios. Still, even while complicated to consummate, there's a heck of a lot of smoke coming from the sign and trade Josh Smith fire.

This can't help but make one wonder who exactly the teams are that Sekou Smith was referring to. Could the LA Lakers be the "Western Conference powerhouse" poised to make a play for Smith?

Well, the Lakers could offer Lamar Odom to the Hawks and take back Smith and point guard Speedy Claxton, provided the deal Smith signs with Atlanta before being traded is enough to match salaries given his BYC status. The move would give the Lakers the defensive presence it lacked in the Finals against the Boston Celtics, and it would also provide the Hawks with a good player and an expiring contract in Odom valued at over $14 million.

The Denver Nuggets could be a suitor, too, as a result of the $10 million trade exception the team received in the Marcus Camby deal according to league sources. In addition to the trade exception, the Nuggets have some future first round picks to play with as well as young talent like J.R. Smith and Linas Kleiza. The Nuggets are the only team that can offer the Hawks straight cap relief. The question is whether or not the Nuggets would be willing to shell out somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12 million for Smith, which would once again put the Nuggets deep into luxury tax territory.

Another possible suitor could be the Dallas Mavericks. Josh Howard is rumored to be on the market and a move to Atlanta would give him a fresh start playing alongside Bibby and Joe Johnson.

Phoenix is also a team to keep an eye on due to the fact both Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw have been on the market all summer.

In the Eastern Conference, word is the Detroit Pistons are making a push for Smith in a deal which would likely feature Tayshaun Prince being shipped out. Such an idea is intriguing for Atlanta, but one has to figure Hawks GM Rick Sund would be at least somewhat leery of shipping Smith to a team already at the top of the Eastern Conference.

There's always a chance Atlanta could change its stance and give Smith what he wants. The other option would involve Smith playing for the qualifying offer next season and then becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2009. However, this would likely mean the Hawks would lose him for nothing next summer, which has to be a prospect Atlanta isn't very fond of.

All that said, the smart money points towards a sign and trade. And with offers reportedly already on the table, expect this situation to really heat up in the coming days.

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #76
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, how much do we take with that rumor?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #77
SMC0007
Guru

IDK but Im glad were at least involved. I would make that trade yesterday.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #78
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Two similar players except Smith is two inches taller and more athletic. Did I mention he isn't even 23 yet. You can teach guys how to shoot, you can't teach a guy how to defend.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #79
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Did we forget Josh Howard was a no show for the playoffs. How he disobeyed team rules and partied during the playoffs. I think we have seen the best of Josh Howard.
Josh Smith
PPG 17.2
RPG 8.2
APG 3.4
SPG 1.5
BPG 2.8
FG% 0.457
FT% 0.710
3P% 0.253
MPG 35.5
Josh Howard
PPG 19.9
RPG 7.0
APG 2.2
SPG 0.8
BPG 0.4
FG% 0.455
FT% 0.813
3P% 0.319
MPG 36.3

He has more assists and rebounds, he shoots at a similar clip as Josh Howard. He isn't 23 until December. The window is closing on the Mavericks. Two straight first round exits.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #80
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Maybe this is why we rejected the Ron Artest trade. I'm quite certain we are the "Western Power" refered to in that article. No doubt Josh for Josh is on the table, but the Hawks have no need for another SF. Hopefully Cuban and Donnie can work it out and get Smith here, he would be unbelievable with Kidd feeding him.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote