Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default szczerbiak/ricky davis trade rumors

link

Cavs looking at trade
Timberwolves still want to deal for Davis, possibly in exchange for Szczerbiak
By Brian Windhorst
Beacon Journal staff writer

ORLANDO, FLA - The Cavaliers have had discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves about a trade involving Ricky Davis and Wally Szczerbiak, a source close to the situation said.

Minnesota has been interested in Davis since last summer, when it signed him to a six-year, $34 million offer sheet that the Cavaliers later matched.

Cavaliers General Manager Jim Paxson said recently he was not actively looking to trade Davis, partially based on the prior relationship Coach Paul Silas had with Davis when both were with the Hornets.

But Davis did not make an extraordinary effort to connect with Silas after he got the job, not meeting with the new coach in the weeks after he was hired.

``We haven't been that active (with trade talks) because Paul wanted to get a look at our players,'' Paxson said. ``There have been a lot of phone calls with interest; we might be a little more aggressive coming out of summer league.''

On the surface, the deal seems to satisfy both teams. Paxson wants a solid outside-shooting swingman, one of the reasons he drafted Jason Kapono in the second round. Szczerbiak, who averaged 17.6 points last year, is one of the league's best shooting swingmen and a former All-Star about to enter his prime.

Davis was a main cog in the Cavaliers' offense last year, averaging 20.6 points. But there are lingering concerns that there won't be enough shots to go around with Davis and LeBron James in the same lineup, even though Silas said he's determined to make it work.

A deal involving Szczerbiak, though, will be difficult to pull off. He is a base-year compensation player, a salary-cap designation that makes him difficult to trade under league rules.

Despite that, the Timberwolves have been talking to several teams about Szczerbiak, the source said, even though they've publicly denied their desire to trade him. Minnesota is mired in salary-cap and luxury-tax problems, and Szczerbiak is about to begin a six-year, $63 million extension he signed last year.

The Timberwolves' whale is Kevin Garnett, who is in the last year of his $126 million deal and is slated to make $22.1 million this season.

Also on the books is Terrell Brandon, who might never play again with a knee injury but most of his $11.2 million salary will count against this year's cap.

Minnesota is also in the running to sign free agents Juwan Howard and Rasho Nesterovic and just traded for point guard Sam Cassell, who is in the middle of a three-year, $17 million contract.

The final salary-cap number for 2003-04 won't be known until next week, just before teams can start to sign free agents, but the Cavaliers could possibility be as much as $3 million under the ceiling.

That would theoretically make room for Szczerbiak, who is slated to make $8 million to Davis' $5 million this season, and still have a $4.6-4.9 million mid-level exception to sign a veteran point guard or two.

However, the cap rules might force the Cavaliers to take on another player from Minnesota's roster to satisfy the base-player compensation trade rules -- which, in turn, might force the Cavaliers to make another move to free up salary or possibly conduct a three-team trade.

The Cavaliers are also rumored to be interested in dealing for Philadelphia 76ers guard and Canton native Eric Snow.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:50 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: szczerbiak/ricky davis trade rumors

I'd do it if I was Minnesota. They need some new blood in there and to surround Garnett with talent to help them out of the 1st round.

I use to like Ricky Davis until it became about his stats and showing off, but he'd fit in with Minnesota.

If they sign Howard with the MLE and resign Rasho, that's a pretty solid starting 5.

Garnett
Howard
Rasho
Davis
Cassell
Old 07-12-2003, 01:29 PM   #3
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Am I missing something, is Hudson dead, because even before his stunning playoff performance, they would never start Cassell over him, it was just a trade for a back up.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:36 PM   #4
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Mavs was supposed to be one of the big shot in the offseason.

Darn, now every other team is making something out there except Mavs. Cuban is just watching. I really really scared of he doing something stupid at last to cover up all the things, like trading nve or nash for some stupdi like kandiman. or something like that.

Cuban is out of his mind right now. I bet he cant show his face to people.

Just pathetic.
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 01:34 AM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Darn, now every other team is making something out there except Mavs. Cuban is just watching. I really really scared of he doing something stupid at last to cover up all the things, like trading nve or nash for some stupdi like kandiman. or something like that.
i've come to expect the unexpected from Cub,so be looking for the mavs on the 16th,i think we'll catch the world off guard.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Quote:
i've come to expect the unexpected from Cub,so be looking for the mavs on the 16th,i think we'll catch the world off guard.

Thats funny because I was just thinking the same thing. Cub is going to shock us all on the 16th.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote