Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-13-2003, 01:28 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Andre Miller commits to Denver

Miller, Nuggets seek deal
Clippers guard commits to sign

By Marc J. Spears, Denver Post Sports Writer

LONG BEACH, Calif. - Los Angeles Clippers free-agent point guard Andre Miller has committed to sign with the Nuggets, according to NBA sources speaking to The Denver Post.

Miller is expected to receive a six-year contract in the $55 million range from the Nuggets. But considering that free agents can't sign until Wednesday and the Clippers would get 15 days to match Miller's deal because of his restricted free-agent status, the Nuggets probably won't officially know whether they have the 2001-02 NBA assists leader in the fold until month's end.

"They are trying to build something," Miller said recently about the Nuggets.

Miller visited the Nuggets last Tuesday and Wednesday. Afterward, the 6-foot-2, 200-pounder visited the Utah Jazz from Wednesday night until Friday morning. One advantage in the Jazz's favor was that Miller played collegiately at Utah. But, the Nuggets' vision for the future that includes young potential in center Nene and rookie forward Carmelo Anthony helped Miller choose them. Miller and his agent Lon Babby could not be reached for comment Saturday night.

"That's a great piece," Anthony said of Miller. "He's a true point guard who can get the ball to guys in the game. I'd love to play with him."

After becoming a first-team All-American as senior with the Utes in 1999, Miller went on to make the 2000 NBA all-rookie team with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was an NBA Rookie Challenge participant during his first and second NBA seasons. The Los Angeles native led the NBA in assists at Cleveland with a 10.9 average as well as 16.9 points during the 2001-02 season. But after being dealt to the Clippers last year, Miller averaged 13.6 points on a career-low 40.6 percent shooting and 6.7 assists last season on a team that had injury woes and contract problems.

Miller would give the Nuggets stability at point guard for the first time since Nick Van Exel was traded to the Dallas Mavericks on Feb. 21, 2002. Since then, the Nuggets have used Kenny Satterfield, Carlos Arroyo, Chris Whitney, Junior Harrington, John Crotty, Vincent Yarbrough, Shammond Williams and Adam Harrington.

"Our primary concern is our backcourt, but point guard is key to any team," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said.

The biggest concern about Miller is his restricted free-agent status. But the Clippers also have interest in Golden State Warriors free-agent point guard Gilbert Arenas and have two other point guards on the roster, Marko Jaric and Keyon Dooling. The Clippers have three other restricted free agents in shooting guard Corey Maggette, forward Lamar Odom and forward-center Elton Brand. The Nuggets are expected to visit with Clippers unrestricted free-agent center Michael Olowokandi today or Monday, while the Clippers are scheduled to meet with him Tuesday.

The Clippers have a reputation for having a tight wallet. The Clippers' brass, however, has told new coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. he will be a part of the process of determining what restricted free agents they want to keep. Vandeweghe has acknowledged there are risks that come from signing restricted free agents, but he said that wouldn't keep him from pulling the trigger if the player was worth it.

"I am going to have a say in who is here and not here, in a sense," said Dunleavy, during a news conference Friday announcing his hiring. "But I think there is a commitment for doing what's right for our team in the long-term in order to win."

There could be a backup point guard on the way, too, in Washington Wizards restricted free-agent Tyronn Lue.

Although Lue said he has received interest from the Orlando Magic, Detroit Pistons and Miami Heat, he prefers to come to Denver. He visited Friday with Nuggets officials at the Pepsi Center. While Lue has not committed to the Nuggets, his agent, Andy Miller, said both parties are at the "cusp of getting into more substantial discussions."

"It went pretty well," said Lue, about his visit with the Nuggets. "I just want to get (free agency) all over with and see what comes. I want to come here. ... I would rank (the Nuggets) at the top of the list. They've got young guys and young talent. I would love to come here and be a leader."

Lue won two NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers during his five-year NBA career and played with Michael Jordan during two seasons in Washington. The speedy, 6-0, 178-pound Lue averaged 8.6 points and 3.5 assists in 26.5 minutes per game last season and ranked fifth in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.4).

"It was a productive meeting," Vandeweghe said. "He seems like he'd be great here."

Vandeweghe, who has $18 million to spend in free agency, is in Los Angeles and is expected to visit with several agents and possibly their clients before free-agency signing period begins Wednesday. Odom's agent, Jeffrey Schwartz, Maggette's agent, Rob Pelinka, and Arenas' agent, Dan Fegan, are all based in Los Angeles. Olowokandi's agent, Bill Duffy, also is expected to arrive in L.A. this morning from the Bay Area.

"There is a lot of work to do," Vandeweghe said. "I'll probably be pretty busy."

Old 07-13-2003, 01:31 AM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Andre Miller is overrated,but he's much better than Kenny satersfield or whatever it is they got on the PG spot.
they could have a good team in a few years,probably a playoff team,depends on how good LeBron is.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:05 AM   #3
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

that's a nice pick up by the Nuggets, he's a good team leader, I dont think his stint in CLipper land was that great, due to him being close to his friends and family , and the added pressure of that. But i think a new start for him in Denver will help him alot. MELLO , NENE, and MILLER and Magette, nice young group of athletic players. Should be fun to watch.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:55 AM   #4
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Andre Miller is overrated,but he's much better than Kenny satersfield or whatever it is they got on the PG spot.
they could have a good team in a few years,probably a playoff team,depends on how good LeBron is.
How does LeBron performance effect the Nuggets?

I love how the Nuggets are putting there team together. Plus they just signed Magette to an offer sheet.
Kiki has done a wonderful job in Denver so far.

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
six-year contract in the $55 million range
That's a lot more money than I thought he would get considering his last year with the Clips.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:27 AM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MFFL
Quote:
six-year contract in the $55 million range
That's a lot more money than I thought he would get considering his last year with the Clips.

Yea maybe you give that to him when he averaged the mosts assist in the league but I wouldn't have given it to him for his performance last season. Kiki couldn't get Arenas to sign for this much? I like what Kiki has done so far but alot of his moves are questionable like going after a 33 year old Mourning when you have so many young players on your squad was strange to me.

BlondBomber, Lebron is in the East. The Nuggets are in the West. Why does Lebron matter if the Nuggets make it to the playoffs are not?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Ignore what I said about Arenas. I didn't know he turned them down.

1996-2005
Old 07-13-2003, 10:47 AM   #8
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
oops,ment anthoney,i always get those two confused.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: nowitzki_prophecy
Quote:
oops,ment anthoney,i always get those two confused.

SHould've known I didn't even think of you meaning Anthony instead of Lebron. Yea your right it is all going to have to revolve around Carmelo. If he is a Paul Pierce clone as reports state him than they might have a team there. It frightens me a it knowing that in a couple of years Nick, Fin and Nash are all going to be well over 30 and they are going to have to face teams like the Nuggets, Heat and the Warriors.

1996-2005