Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Howard to join Garnett and Cassell??

Howard to join Garnett, Cassell in Twin Cities?

ESPN.com news services

Sources close to forward Juwan Howard say he likely will sign with the Minnesota Timberwolves, the Detroit Free Press reported Sunday.

The former Michigan star supposedly would rather join the Lakers, but he's not their top priority. He also has shown interest in Orlando, with the Pistons a distant fourth.

Sam Cassell, just traded to Minnesota, is recruiting Howard. The Timberwolves are desperately trying to surround Kevin Garnett with enough talent to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

"I want to win," Howard told the Sporting News earlier this week. "That has always been my goal since Day One, since I stepped foot in the NBA. I have had an opportunity to win at all levels, college and high school. Now, I am in a position that I can make a decision to go anywhere I want to go, and I am excited about that."

Howard, 30, a nine-year veteran, averaged 18.4 points and 7.6 rebounds with the Denver Nuggets in 2002-03. He has averaged 17.9 points and 7.5 rebounds for his career.

"I do whatever teams want me to do," Howard told The Sporting News. "In Dallas, I was the fourth option and I accepted that role and we made it to the second round and won over 50 games. In Denver, they wanted me to be the go-to guy. I accepted and put up 19 points a game."

Old 07-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if Juwan would enjoy playing with the T-Wolves against the Mavericks in a 1st- or 2nd-round playoff matchup?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Howard to join Garnett and Cassell??

when he gets swept, probably not. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2003, 02:06 PM   #4
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

This certainly doesn't make the Pups a championship contender, but it does make them very interesting.

Now we're going to have to hear the ABC/ESPN idiots call Alien Head, K.G., and Howard "Minnesotta's Big Three."

Ugghh...gag me now!
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

This indicates they do need to let Rasho go.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

they theoretically could keep rasho even if howard came. but it might be better to let him go.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:00 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Wolves let Rasho walk...the wolves just got worse

Juwan Howard puts up empty numbers..he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA for his position.

Sure, he adds a little scoring, but he's a very, very overrated basketball player
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:59 PM   #8
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I think howard would make a nice compliment next to Garnett, you can move Garnett to center and play howard at Pf. I think it would be a good move by Howard.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

eh. i don't think howard brings any more than rasho, and with rasho at least garnett can play in his real position.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:51 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

link

Howard poised to choose Magic

By Jerry Brewer | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted July 13, 2003, 11:00 PM EDT

Coveted free agent Juwan Howard has quietly declared his intent to play in Orlando through the prime of his career. Howard has verbally agreed to join the Magic and sign a five-year deal, several NBA sources told the Orlando Sentinel.

The deal would start at the mid-level exception, which is estimated at $4.8 million. Over the course of the contract, Howard would earn somewhere in the $28 million range.

Free agents cannot sign until Wednesday, so the Magic will have to wait and even ponder worst-case scenarios. Detroit and Minnesota also were interested in Howard and until he signs the contract, they have a chance to pull off a miracle.

But Howard wants to play in Orlando. It is the Magic's most significant signing since Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady joined them three summers ago.

Howard, who is 6 feet 9 and 250 pounds, averaged 18.4 points and 7.6 rebounds last season for the Denver Nuggets. While he does not address the Magic's need for a center, he is considered an upgrade in the frontcourt. Instead of overwhelming teams with size, the Magic came to the realization that they needed talent and versatility in the frontcourt. They believe they can win with Howard and power forward Drew Gooden along the frontline and a center-less situation. They should be able to rebound and run with this tandem and in today's NBA, they won't get punished for being slightly undersized as much as many would suspect.

In addition, Howard gives the Magic a more accomplished No. 2 option behind Tracy McGrady. Howard, 30, has averaged 17.9 points over his nine-year career. He has never averaged less than 14.6 points in a single season.

He is not a true back-to-the-basket presence, but he can score in many different ways. And he can score independently of McGrady, a trait the Magic have been seeking the past three years.

Signing Howard is a coup for the Magic in several ways. First, most media reports had Detroit and Minnesota as the frontrunners for Howard. But in the background, the Magic worked in silence.

The team used Coach Doc Rivers' record in dealing with players as a recruiting tool, then relied on the star power of McGrady. The Magic also leaned on the long-term relationship between General Manager John Gabriel and David Falk, Howard's agent. Howard's wife, Jenine, is also a Florida native.

Seven years ago, Howard signed a $105 million contract with Washington, and he never lived up to those expectations. He was supposed to become a superstar, but he instead played solidly and may have developed an unworthy reputation because of it. He later was traded from Washington to Dallas and then to Denver, where Howard resurrected his career.

Even though it was a contract year, Howard was impressive in leading a young, offensively challenged Nuggets team last season. He led them in points, rebounding and free-throw percentage.

The Magic identified Howard as their No. 1 target early in the free-agent process. While they eventually want a shot-blocking, space-filling center, they are intrigued by a versatile lineup. Howard and Gooden likely will take turns defending the opponents' biggest player. Both players also should play both forward spots at times.

It seems like an odd approach, but the Magic have not competed with a true center since Shaquille O'Neal left town. Because free-agent Brad Miller was out of their price range and because they didn't want to wait to see if Michael Olowokandi would fall to them, they chose this option. If Rivers can make it work, they may be on to something.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:12 AM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

He's the perfect fit for Orlando, with the exception of the limited minutes Gooden will probably see.

Why did everyone say Rasho would be gone if he went to Minn? They'd still need a center b/c neither Garnett or Howard were going to move up to Center.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote