Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Last season:

Samuel Dalembert - 8.1 PPG / 8.2 RPG / 1.4 BPG
Kwame Brown - 7.9 PPG / 6.8 RPG / 0.6 BPG

I guess looks can be deceiving...

I liked what I saw from Kwame a lot more than Dalembert, especially after Next Town Brown got the axe in Charlotte. Kwame played with more fire than Dalembert ever has.

Plus I believe it's already a lock that Dalembert is going to Miami. And he'll probably get a deal worth at least 3-4 times as much as Kwame gets.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I liked what I saw from Kwame a lot more than Dalembert, especially after Next Town Brown got the axe in Charlotte. Kwame played with more fire than Dalembert ever has.

Plus I believe it's already a lock that Dalembert is going to Miami. And he'll probably get a deal worth at least 3-4 times as much as Kwame gets.
Um, where exactly is Miami going to scrape up the 3-4 times more money than what Kwame is worth to pay Dalembert??

The projected 2011/12 salary cap is about $58mil, Miami already has $65mil in dedicated salaries...

EDIT: also, where did you get the idea that Kwame finished stronger than Dalembert? Looking at their last 8 games (the month of April), Kwame did have a very impressive 23/13 game, but Dalembert had games of 16/18, 17/16, 12/10, 21/15 and 10/12 in that same stretch...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Um, where exactly is Miami going to scrape up the 3-4 times more money than what Kwame is worth to pay Dalembert??

The projected 2011/12 salary cap is about $58mil, Miami already has $65mil in dedicated salaries...
MLE... I believe Miami will offer the whole thing to Dalembert. And I mean in total contract, not 3-4 times as much per year. I think Kwame gets 1, maybe two years tops, but somebody (Miami, if not them probably Houston) will severely overpay Dalembert.

Quote:
EDIT: also, where did you get the idea that Kwame finished stronger than Dalembert? Looking at their last 8 games (the month of April), Kwame did have a very impressive 23/13 game, but Dalembert had games of 16/18, 17/16, 12/10, 21/15 and 10/12 in that same stretch...
I'm not sure where I said that. I just liked what I saw from Kwame.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure where I said that. I just liked what I saw from Kwame.
Post #84...

Quote:
I'd rather have Kwame than Delambert. At least Kwame looked like a competent player last season. And he had a great finish, particularly in the rebounding department.

Every way I look at it, Dalembert is a far superior player to Kwame Brown - rebounding, scoring, blocks - full season stats, end of season stats, career stats, the eyeball test... I just don't see how you can make an argument for Kwame over Dalembert unless you're talking from a strictly financial standpoint, in which case you shouldn't even be comparing the two.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Post #84...

Every way I look at it, Dalembert is a far superior player to Kwame Brown - rebounding, scoring, blocks - full season stats, end of season stats, career stats, the eyeball test... I just don't see how you can make an argument for Kwame over Dalembert unless you're talking from a strictly financial standpoint, in which case you shouldn't even be comparing the two.

I have no idea why you'd say that last part, especially considering how strapped we'll be for cap space as we enter free agency. I'd rather look into signing a guy like Kwame for 1yr/$3M than Dalembert at 4yrs/$18-20M. I think that's what each guy will realistically command on the open market, though the Bobcats might overpay for Kwame, considering he had arguably the best season of his career for them last season.

Saying I'd rather have somebody is in no way saying he's a better player. I'm saying I'd take the guy that will bring more value to us. And getting extremely similar production from a guy that plays the same game as Dalembert at a fraction of the price.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Underdog

Quote:
I have no idea why you'd say that last part, especially considering how strapped we'll be for cap space as we enter free agency. I'd rather look into signing a guy like Kwame for 1yr/$3M than Dalembert at 4yrs/$18-20M. I think that's what each guy will realistically command on the open market, though the Bobcats might overpay for Kwame, considering he had arguably the best season of his career for them last season.

Saying I'd rather have somebody is in no way saying he's a better player. I'm saying I'd take the guy that will bring more value to us. And getting extremely similar production from a guy that plays the same game as Dalembert at a fraction of the price.
We're talking about Plan B if Chandler doesn't re-sign with the Mavs, why in the hell would you replace him with ANYONE that's getting paid 1yr/$3m??? We're trying to win a championship - 4yrs/$18-20m is more in the ballpark for a guy that can help you win more than just lotto balls...

I'd rather roll with Haywood/Mahinmi than waste any amount of money on a spare like Kwame Brown.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
We're talking about Plan B if Chandler doesn't re-sign with the Mavs, why in the hell would you replace him with ANYONE that's getting paid 1yr/$3m??? We're trying to win a championship - 4yrs/$18-20m is in the ballpark for a guy that can actually help you win more than just lotto balls...

I'd rather roll with Haywood/Mahinmi than waste any amount of money on a spare like Kwame Brown.

My bad, I must have missed that part of the thread. I was talking more about potential free agent targets in general terms, or if we were using the amnesty clause on Haywood or something like that.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Let's remember that the Mavs don't even have the ability to offer a 4 yr/18-20M contract to someone that is not their own free agent. Unless they amnesty Haywood.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 11-28-2011 at 02:04 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Let's remember that the Mavs don't even have the ability to offer a 4 yr/18-20M contract to someone that is not their own free agent. Unless they amnesty Haywood.
How does that amnesty clause work anyway - when does a player have to be waived? Could we waive Haywood in the middle of negotiating with Chandler (if we found it necessary to free up a little more cap space), or is this something that needs to be determined before free agency?

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.