Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-13-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Not being in Dallas at the moment, it's hard to see too many games - fortunately I got the family taping some of them for me. Was just watching some games from earlier in the season and was pretty impressed with AJ's minutes... he still knows how to run an offense and amazingly still finds ways to get to the hoop for his little left hand layup. Why don't we bench NVE and play AJ more often? esp. when NVE seems to be off his game (which has been a lot lately)
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:39 PM   #2
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

Because AJ blows and Nick is at least in sync with the offensive flow of the game, he also is more respected from outside even if he cant the broad side of a barn right now.Starting to think frenchy is a myth.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Fisrt of all...welcome to the board.

Now...NVE has hardly been off his game. His court awareness has been so dialed in that I am sure the Mavs are entertaining numerous phone calls about his availability. Nick has been deadly with his passes and has been forcing the ball to Dirk a lot more lately. His post up is one of the nicest in the game and often succeeds against taller guys. He can light it up on a dime. Granted, he gets on bad streaks, but who doesn't? Be fair....who doesn't? Nick has been the epitome of a professional and is a tam favorite. And clearly he is a better player than AJ (Whom I think very highly of). I wouldn't mind seeing AJ get more minutes, but there is no reason real or imagined that he gets more PT than NVE.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 09:43 PM   #4
LeRoi

LeRoi is on a distinguished road

i like nve, but the man is shooting 38%. That's bad no matter how you slice it.
LeRoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Fisrt of all...welcome to the board.

Now...NVE has hardly been off his game. His court awareness has been so dialed in that I am sure the Mavs are entertaining numerous phone calls about his availability. Nick has been deadly with his passes and has been forcing the ball to Dirk a lot more lately. His post up is one of the nicest in the game and often succeeds against taller guys. He can light it up on a dime. Granted, he gets on bad streaks, but who doesn't? Be fair....who doesn't? Nick has been the epitome of a professional and is a tam favorite. And clearly he is a better player than AJ (Whom I think very highly of). I wouldn't mind seeing AJ get more minutes, but there is no reason real or imagined that he gets more PT than NVE.
>>

Great post.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

when nve struggles shooting the ball, his total game usually struggles right along with it.
NVE has played a pretty good all around game recently with the exception of shooting..however, he takes enough shots to where him shooting extremely poorly takes his game from pretty good all around to not that good overall.

AJ does deserve some of NVE's minutes as long as NVE is playing at his current level. NVE does not run the offense as effectively as AJ.. so if NVE is going to shoot poorly, there's no reason why not to give AJ some minutes.

but guess what..if the Rig deal gets done, well, it's likely NVE's minutes will decrease regardless
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

NVE is a player that plays best when the chips are stacked against him. Give him impossible odds and he responds. Aside from that, he is streaky and unpredictable.

AJ is a known quantity and not the future. He is also not a 3-point threat.

From Nellie's perspective, The Mavs are better served by NVE's 3-point threat and explosive potential. Even though NVE is not playing well now, teams will commit to him defensively because they know what he can do.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

We need a better PG than NVE and Avery.

NVE doesn't fit in this team, in the system of the team. His abilities allow Nelson to create another variation but not a stronger one, and I´m not refering to the &quot;small ball&quot;. I like more the small ball with Avery; it fits better with the Mavs´ system, it need less changes or changes more similar.

I´m not saying that NVE is a bad player. No. But his kind of playing doesn´t boost the Mavs' system.

I like more Avery doing the job; but he can´t stand for many minutes, and Nash needs more minutes from the bench.

We can still be champions with NVE and Avery, I´ve no doubt about it. But I feel it like our weakest feature now that LaF is playing a lot better.

IMO.

Edit: There is an error, because usually Avery doesn´t lead a small ball rotation, but my point still stands; leading the bench or replacing Nash for some minutes, I prefer him for our system. It´s a pity he can´t play more minutes.

#2: I´m eager to see TAWII playing the position.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:17 PM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree chiwas. NVE is GREAT for the mavs, but right now his shooting stinks. When he is in such a slump the is horrible for the mavs. He is able to get anyplace he wants, post up, hit the three and he dishs just fine. But his confidence is very,very low right now.

I haven't heard if he is hurt, but his shooting sure is.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think NVE is hurting. A couple of weeks ago there was an article about him getting an injection for his elbow. He hasn't been shooting well since. I'm willing to bet the elbow is still giving him problems. NVE IS and probably will always be a streaky player, but this slump has something to do with injury. I think the Mavs aren't advertising this fact to keep it from their opponents.

Whatever is the cause of NVE slump, I really hope he pulls out tomorrow night because we can really use his help.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

LRB is correct. NVE has been playing through some arm injuries. I don't use that as any excuse...why?....because he doesn't need one. Those of you who are saying that NVE is playing poorly are incorrect...sorry. He is playing a very mental game of basketball. His court awareness is incredible and he has unleashed some of the nicest passes lateyl that I have seen in a while....and that is despite seeing Nash fire off his bullets. It's just that Nick has been really good.

The team acknowledges it...the opponents are acknowledging it....hell, even the media has written about it. So why does he get such a bad time here? It's because some of you cannot get past your hatred for the old Nick. NEWSFLASH!!!! Nick has been the picture of a professional in Dallas. He has done not one damn thing to make anyone think otherwise. He has done everything asked of him...performed at a level which would make him a starter on any other NBA team, stuck up for his teammates on and off the court, become a contributing member of the Dallas community and has said not one word in a negative fashion. Get over your pathological hatred for Nick Van Exel. He has done everything asked of him and more.

Good Lord.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:05 PM   #12
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

<< We need a better PG than NVE and Avery. >>

Yeah, we definitely need better backup PG's than NVE and AJ. Kidd is a free agent next year, maybe we can get him to back Nash up. Also, Bradley has been good, but he can't stop Shaq, so we should get Shaq. Now we're talking. Let's just fill that huge hole that we have at the backup PG spot, add Shaq and we'll be set!!
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 03:10 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

hee hee [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #14
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<<

<< We need a better PG than NVE and Avery. >>

Yeah, we definitely need better backup PG's than NVE and AJ. Kidd is a free agent next year, maybe we can get him to back Nash up. Also, Bradley has been good, but he can't stop Shaq, so we should get Shaq. Now we're talking. Let's just fill that huge hole that we have at the backup PG spot, add Shaq and we'll be set!!
>>

DirkNash: Totally agree with you. Kidd makes a great backup for Nash, and Shaq would fill in adequately as a backup for the Mantis. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #15
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Great posts LRB, Doc and DirkNash. Doc pretty much said it all but Nick will always be the redheaded step child. I could see him hitting the game winning shot in the finals game 7 and still some people downing on him. Yea, he is in a shooting slump but that's far from being the most important thing in basketball, if it was why not trade him for Steve Kerr or lets grab Jim Paxton out of retirement. And doesn't the fact that he is so streaky and a that he is a 40% shooter but is still in the league, still is a top flight PG and is extremly respected tell you something?

And if the Mavs can find better back-ups i'm all for it but where on earth are you going to find these players, Aj would be getting tons of minutes on other teams and NVE would be averaging 20 and 8 if he was traded to the Knicks.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:18 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Doc... You just are not hearing me. I am CRAZY about nick. I think he is a wonderful backup PG for nash and a class act.. Buttttt..... His shooting right now is horrific. He is asked to come in and light it up, okay I'm fine with that, but his last 10 performances have been....

2-10, 1-6, 6-11, 3-12, 5-9, 2-8, 3-11, 6-14, 5-16, 1-7... 34-104 == 32%......

When he comes in unless walt or someone else is hitting from the outside there is a great big sucking sound for our offense. I actually was afraid of this last year when I heard he wasn't going to get his elbow fixed... now I think this is hurting us bad.

Even Nick admitted it the last time I heard him on ben and skin. He talked about his shooting stinking it up.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #17
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

So why does he get such a bad time here? It's because some of you cannot get past your hatred for the old Nick. NEWSFLASH!!!! Nick has been the picture of a professional in Dallas

Yes, Nick has done everything the Mavs have asked of him. He hasn't complained about PT or his role with this team. However, he is getting a bad time because his shooting flat out sucks. You can't get around it. I am not talking about 3 pointers either. Nick can't even make a layup. Everyone here seems to think Nick is &quot;streaky&quot;. I wish this was true. He hasn't scored worth a damn in months! A player who is in a slump for over a month is not a &quot;streaky&quot; anymore. He is what he is. I would love to see Nick break out of his &quot;slump&quot; against the Kings but it will take a couple of weeks of production before I believe Nicks offense has really changed.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 05:30 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

When you play with Dirk, Finley and Nash you just don't need to be &quot;the guy&quot; in terms of scoring points. That argument just doesn't hold water. The bench production is consistently good and Nick just needs to excel at what he is doing well at right now. Instead of bashing the guy people should be hailing him as Nick Van Excellent.

Old 01-14-2003, 08:02 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

doc..if nve comes in and concentrates on dishing the ball when he's in a shooting slump..that's great..i'm all for that.
but, that's not what he does more often than not.

he's a 40% shooter for a reason...because he makes a very low percentage of his shots
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:02 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

I'm sorry doc, he just is NOT up to par. He DOES have to score points for the second team, if he's a starting point guard he should be able to hit an open jumper, he can't right now. Unacceptable, I hope like heck it gets better because he makes our second team match up with sacto, with him playing like he is now, we will get outscored pretty good by that unit.