Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #121
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I was reading 10th or 11th, depending on the game tonight. 8th I would be ecstatic with.
BTB.com's members through the posts I have read seem to think we are picking 9th with a Seattle win (likely with them at home and Hass playing) and 10th with a St. Louis win. I guess I just don't understand. It seems the 1 discrepancy is we came in 3rd in our division so Washington must be leapfrogging us despite the same record and despite us having SoS in our favor.

Sucks, but maybe we are 9th/10th.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #122
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
You are known for sarcasm. Tell me that was sarcasm. Please.
Of course not. I think a person can only look at the latter half of the season very positively--they went 5-3 with their 2nd and 3rd string qbs, losing those three games by a grand total of about 7 points.

What did you expect them to do in the 2nd half?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #123
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BTB.com's members through the posts I have read seem to think we are picking 9th with a Seattle win (likely with them at home and Hass playing) and 10th with a St. Louis win. I guess I just don't understand. It seems the 1 discrepancy is we came in 3rd in our division so Washington must be leapfrogging us despite the same record and despite us having SoS in our favor.

Sucks, but maybe we are 9th/10th.
I think it's 10 if SEA wins and 11 if they lose. Washington has the SOS in their favor, I think. I know they would only go to a division (or conference) tiebreaker if the SOS was exactly tied. (Next tiebreaker would be a coin toss, if it came to it.)

We got Ware around 10 or 11, didn't we? And Roy Williams at 7? Hey, maybe that's something.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #124
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Of course not. I think a person can only look at the latter half of the season very positively--they went 5-3 with their 2nd and 3rd string qbs, losing those three games by a grand total of about 7 points.

What did you expect them to do in the 2nd half?
Dumb.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #125
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think it's 10 if SEA wins and 11 if they lose. Washington has the SOS in their favor, I think. I know they would only go to a division (or conference) tiebreaker if the SOS was exactly tied. (Next tiebreaker would be a coin toss, if it came to it.)

We got Ware around 10 or 11, didn't we? And Roy Williams at 7? Hey, maybe that's something.
Ha... I just posted as much on BTB... Waiting for them to debunk it or claim it correct. Sucks... Could have been 6th and instead becomes 10th/11th. But hey, at least Alex is happy.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #126
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ha... I just posted as much on BTB... Waiting for them to debunk it or claim it correct. Sucks... Could have been 6th and instead becomes 10th/11th. But hey, at least Alex is happy.
Their response:

Washington is behind us in any scenario

Our opponents were 131-125

Theirs were 132-123 with StL playing tonight.

So 9th or 10th.

Basically - root for Seattle tonight!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #127
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:

Ware was 11. We could have picked Shawne Merriman (and he in fact said that the Cowboys told him they would take him). Dodged a bullet there.

You can get good players at 10 - Ware will possibly be in the Hall of Fame one day. But in this draft, there are no players there that help, IMO, with this team's two biggest needs, the secondary and offensive line.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #128
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Considering we gave up the 2nd most points in all of the NFL, is there any chance at all we don't go D in the 1st? I say no.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #129
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dumb.
Dumb is thinking what may work in a Madden franchise is a good ideal where real human beings are concerned.

The 'boys will have 30+ guys returning next season, and those 30+guys will have for more reason to be motivated during the off-season than they would have had if the 'boys had gone about 1-7 (as you expected). The benefit of 30+ guys going into next season believing they have a shot at the playoffs is far more valuable than the marginal difference between the players selected in the number 5 and 10 draft spots.

I'll note that the Lions routinely draft very high and the poor Pats are invariably drafting near the bottom. What is exceedingly dumb is thinking that drafting 4 or 5 spots higher on draft day is something that separates good franchises from bad.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #130
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Dumb is thinking what may work in a Madden franchise is a good ideal where real human beings are concerned.

The 'boys will have 30+ guys returning next season, and those 30+guys will have for more reason to be motivated during the off-season than they would have had if the 'boys had gone about 1-7 (as you expected). The benefit of 30+ guys going into next season believing they have a shot at the playoffs is far more valuable than the marginal difference between the players selected in the number 5 and 10 draft spots.

I'll note that the Lions routinely draft very high and the poor Pats are invariably drafting near the bottom. What is exceedingly dumb is thinking that drafting 4 or 5 spots higher on draft day is something that separates good franchises from bad.
Please visit your brain seargant.

Bottom line, considering our VAST need of secondary help and the lack of help at OL in the 9-11 range, not getting an absolute stud playmaking FS/CB and instead trading down or overdrafting is a huge blow. Acting like that is better than winning one extra damn game with your 3rd string QB against a team resting the majority of their talent is absolutely stupid in every conceivable way. You can speak of the Lions and the Pats all you want. The Lions have no QB and the Pats have one of the best of all time. Winning today was stupid. No one will ever convince me (and I would wager 95% of the people on this board) otherwise.

Not at all meant to help my argument and instead just a fun tidbit of information since you singled out Detroit, even with Stafford injured a good bit of the year and with our 5-3 finish, we pick before Detroit.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #131
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Their response:

Washington is behind us in any scenario

Our opponents were 131-125

Theirs were 132-123 with StL playing tonight.

So 9th or 10th.

Basically - root for Seattle tonight!
I have not looked at any of the numbers myself, but rather just read blog posts. If Washington indeed will have to pick behind us, that is GREAT!
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #132
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I have not looked at any of the numbers myself, but rather just read blog posts. If Washington indeed will have to pick behind us, that is GREAT!
Well, if SoS is all that is taken into consideration and division rankings don't play into it at all, yeah - GREAT news all things considered.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #133
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

Bottom line, considering our VAST need of secondary help and the lack of help at OL in the 9-11 range, not getting an absolute stud playmaking FS/CB and instead trading down or overdrafting is a huge blow. Acting like that is better than winning one extra damn game with your 3rd string QB against a team resting the majority of their talent is absolutely stupid in every conceivable way. You can speak of the Lions and the Pats all you want. The Lions have no QB and the Pats have one of the best of all time. Winning today was stupid. No one will ever convince me (and I would wager 95% of the people on this board) otherwise.

Not at all meant to help my argument and instead just a fun tidbit of information since you singled out Detroit, even with Stafford injured a good bit of the year and with our 5-3 finish, we pick before Detroit.
While I understand exactly where Alexa is coming from, the one factor you also have to take into account is that there is often a considerable drop-off in talent level (perceived, and potential only, I know...I know) after the top tier of blue chippers. I read where Wes Bunting thinks there will be six or eight blue chippers in this draft. Yes, I agree that it may well be the case that drafting at the top of the second tier is not markedly better than drafting in the middle of it. But missing the top tier entirely? So you can win a glorified PRE-SEASON GAME? Damn.

Well, I can't fault the players. If they are going to suit you up, you are going to give it your best, if you are the right kind of competitor. But...well...let me leave it at that. Maybe it was just bad luck. And maybe we still get a blue chipper at 9.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #134
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
While I understand exactly where Alexa is coming from, the one factor you also have to take into account is that there is often a considerable drop-off in talent level (perceived, and potential only, I know...I know) after the top tier of blue chippers. I read where Wes Bunting thinks there will be six or eight blue chippers in this draft. Yes, I agree that it may well be the case that drafting at the top of the second tier is not markedly better than drafting in the middle of it. But missing the top tier entirely? So you can win a glorified PRE-SEASON GAME? Damn.

Well, I can't fault the players. If they are going to suit you up, you are going to give it your best, if you are the right kind of competitor. But...well...let me leave it at that. Maybe it was just bad luck. And maybe we still get a blue chipper at 9.
I can't. I don't at all buy that winning this game - A glorified pre season game as you so eloquently labeled it - helps us start next year with a better chance of making the playoffs AT ALL IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER. That is just stupid. I could POSSIBLY see the stance that finishing 1-7 vs. 5-3 could make a difference, but winning that one game and finishing 4-4 vs. 5-3, not in the slightest considering the talent being played. The rest of the roster understands we were without our stud QB. They get there were numerous other injuries and that there was a coaching change. To claim that my stance is Maddenesque is equally stupid and incredibly short sighted.

I get the "play hard if you suit up" thing and I also get that Garrett needs every possible win for a chance to get this gig. I knew those two things would be the two that ended up biting us the most if Philly didn't take control of this game. But in the 4th with a couple of minutes left and a chance to draft 6th staring us in the face you just can't score that TD. You just can't. Period.

Again, to hell with Minny as this is ultimately their fault (like you said, bad luck). The Eagles win that game and we get CRUSHED today by a team looking for a bye (I think with Chicago's loss they would have got it too).

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-02-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #135
chumdawg
Guru

I'll give McGee credit for being plucky, but yeah, if Philly has a bye to play for, we get run out of that stadium and it's not even close. Hell, the only reason we had a chance to punch the ticket is that we actually scored off of Kolb. Vick would have run it up on us.

And the thing is, everybody knows that. Everybody. So, no...this one game in particular is nothing at all to hang your hat on. In fact, it's almost embarrassing to claim it as some sort of victory.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #136
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'll give McGee credit for being plucky, but yeah, if Philly has a bye to play for, we get run out of that stadium and it's not even close. Hell, the only reason we had a chance to punch the ticket is that we actually scored off of Kolb. Vick would have run it up on us.

And the thing is, everybody knows that. Everybody. So, no...this one game in particular is nothing at all to hang your hat on. In fact, it's almost embarrassing to claim it as some sort of victory.
Indeed. Indeed it is.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #137
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm sure you're a helluva a Madden GM, but in the real world there aren't any sure things in draft picks and you can't ignore the impact of tanking games on the 30+ players that you know will be on the team the following season.

tanking that game today would have been like kicking Witten and Ware and whoever else you want on this team a big kick in the crotch. You can't ignore that aspect.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #138
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm sure you're a helluva a Madden GM, but in the real world there aren't any sure things in draft picks and you can't ignore the impact of tanking games on the 30+ players that you know will be on the team the following season.

tanking that game today would have been like kicking Witten and Ware and whoever else you want on this team a big kick in the crotch. You can't ignore that aspect.
Again, all that needs to be said to you is as follows.

Dumb.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #139
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Draft order link...
Old 01-02-2011, 09:53 PM   #140
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
We would have picked 6th, then, if we had lost, as the SOS had us beating Cleveland.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #141
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

9th ain't terrible

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #142
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But you obviously know that a year from now roughly half of those blue chippers will be blue chippers in pay grade only. You and Dan have probably seen this but it's still worth looking at as we talk about the importance of falling a few spots in the draft. It's Rick Gosslin's 2010 first round redraft:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsl...l.2cb2465.html

So a year later the best center went at 18, the best corner went at 27, the best safety went at 14 and the best OT went in the second round.

In the end it comes down to scouting and, quite frankly, luck.

I'd rather see my team play to win (at least in the NFL...if the Mavs were in the same position then it may be worth it to lose). We beat the team the Eagles put on the field and I guarantee you those guys feel good about it.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #143
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
But you obviously know that a year from now roughly half of those blue chippers will be blue chippers in pay grade only. You and Dan have probably seen this but it's still worth looking at as we talk about the importance of falling a few spots in the draft. It's Rick Gosslin's 2010 first round redraft:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsl...l.2cb2465.html

So a year later the best center went at 18, the best corner went at 27, the best safety went at 14 and the best OT went in the second round.

In the end it comes down to scouting and, quite frankly, luck.

I'd rather see my team play to win (at least in the NFL...if the Mavs were in the same position then it may be worth it to lose). We beat the team the Eagles put on the field and I guarantee you those guys feel good about it.
While there are quite likely numerous drafts where this type of thing is quite true, the fact of the matter is we have no idea who the best is of any position after only 1 year. Some guys take longer to develop.

Bottom line though - you always want the blue chip talent. Sometimes it doesn't pan out, as nothing is guaranteed, but you prefer the blue chip 100 times out of 100. That is not to imply that there won't be a tremendous prospect there at 9 (possibly someone that proves to be a better player than picked 1-8) but anyone would rather be higher vs. lower.

Sure, we beat the team the Eagles put on the field and I too bet they feel great about it. That said, I wish they felt a little bit worse.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #144
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Again, all that needs to be said to you is as follows.

Dumb.
More like that's all you've got, right?

----------------------

Do you imagine that Jones is unaware that they would have had a higher drift pick had they lost? Surely you know that it's not ignorance on Jones part, so why do you think Jones didn't make the call for the team to tank? ("Dumb" isn't an answer, it's a judgment rendered in ignorance.)

Assuming Jones had given the order to tank from on high, how would the decision to intentionally lose fit with the sort of culture Garrett is trying to establish? Would Jones be undermining Garrett in anyway?

How, specifically, would Garrett go about tanking the game? Does he tell the team that he expects them to lose during some pre-game speech? Should Ware have been benched for returning a fumble for a touchdown? Should Garret have pulled Witten and Austin before the last series? Should he have benched Ware, Witten, Ratliff et al before the game started?

What happens if the Cowboys spares build a lead? Does Garrett start punting on 3rd down?

So figure for the last two months, Garrett's main challenge has been keeping these guys interested in a season that was already flushed when he took over the HC job. For two months he's been preaching the need to make the most of every practice and every play--of striving for excellence in all things--but now during the last game of the year he's throwing you under a bus. If you're veteran superstar, or a youngster with some potential, how does this impact your opinion of Garrett?

---------------

'fess up now, you've never once contemplated how tanking might affect the the organization, have you? Good little Madden GM that you are, all you've ever thought about is the marginally small benefit of moving up a couple of spots, without any thought to the unintended consequences and complications of intentionally losing.

Last edited by alexamenos; 01-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #145
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

We basically traded a win against the Eagles practice squad for 3 or 4 spots in the draft. In no way does it build momentum for us or hurt the Eagles starters going into the playoffs.

It may not matter as Jerry said, but you never know what could make it to 6 that would not get to 10.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #146
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
More like that's all you've got, right?

----------------------

Do you imagine that Jones is unaware that they would have had a higher drift pick had they lost? Surely you know that it's not ignorance on Jones part, so why do you think Jones didn't make the call for the team to tank? ("Dumb" isn't an answer, it's a judgment rendered in ignorance.)

Assuming Jones had given the order to tank from on high, how would the decision to intentionally lose fit with the sort of culture Garrett is trying to establish? Would Jones be undermining Garrett in anyway?

How, specifically, would Garrett go about tanking the game? Does he tell the team that he expects them to lose during some pre-game speech? Should Ware have been benched for returning a fumble for a touchdown? Should Garret have pulled Witten and Austin before the last series? Should he have benched Ware, Witten, Ratliff et al before the game started?

What happens if the Cowboys spares build a lead? Does Garrett start punting on 3rd down?

So figure for the last two months, Garrett's main challenge has been keeping these guys interested in a season that was already flushed when he took over the HC job. For two months he's been preaching the need to make the most of every practice and every play--of striving for excellence in all things--but now during the last game of the year he's throwing you under a bus. If you're veteran superstar, or a youngster with some potential, how does this impact your opinion of Garrett?

---------------

'fess up now, you've never once contemplated how tanking might affect the the organization, have you? Good little Madden GM that you are, all you've ever thought about is the marginally small benefit of moving up a couple of spots, without any thought to the unintended consequences and complications of intentionally losing.
You know... I typed this 2-3 paragraph response calling you moron this and idiot that and I realized something just before hitting submit and decided to post the following instead.

It's not worth it. Think what you want and I and countless others will think what we want.

The bottom line, no matter what any of us believe, is that we missed the opportunity to draft 3 spots higher in a draft with some serious studs in a position of severe need (that might not be there at 9) to win a game that didn't help our playoff chances or hurt Philly's playoff chances. Spin it how you want. Think as you might. But those are the facts.

We dropped 3 spots in 6 rounds of the draft (we gave our 7th away earlier this year for that DT) to win what many believe to be a preseason game. Congrats Dallas... No one will remember that win 2 years from now but if we miss out on both Peterson/Prince and they are shutting guys down for the next decade plus you can rest assured we will remember that.

I'm done with this topic.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-03-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #147
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I don't want to tank. I'm just pissed off that we won.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #148
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
You know... I typed this 2-3 paragraph response calling you moron this and idiot that and I realized something just before hitting submit and decided to post the following instead.

It's not worth it. Think what you want and I and countless others will think what we want.

The bottom line, no matter what any of us believe, is that we missed the opportunity to draft 3 spots higher in a draft with some serious studs in a position of severe need (that might not be there at 9) to win a game that didn't help our playoff chances or hurt Philly's playoff chances. Spin it how you want. Think as you might. But those are the facts.

We dropped 3 spots in 6 rounds of the draft (we gave our 7th away earlier this year for that DT) to win what many believe to be a preseason game. Congrats Dallas... No one will remember that win 2 years from now but if we miss out on both Peterson/Prince and they are shutting guys down for the next decade plus you can rest assured we will remember that.

I'm done with this topic.
Yet another post goes by in which you tacitly acknowledge that you've never given the slightest consideration to anything beyond what matters in a Madden franchise. It's real simple Dan -- a Madden franchise is not the real world. You certainly are done with this topic because you can't grasp this simple reality.

I would welcome a response, from anyone who thinks that it was the epitome of all dumbness for the Cowboys to not tank game 16, which addresses either (preferably both, but either would be nice) of the following:

Why didn't Jerry Jones want to deliberately throw the game?

What specifically could Garrett have done to throw the game?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #149
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yet another post goes by in which you tacitly acknowledge that you've never given the slightest consideration to anything beyond what matters in a Madden franchise. It's real simple Dan -- a Madden franchise is not the real world. You certainly are done with this topic because you can't grasp this simple reality.

I would welcome a response, from anyone who thinks that it was the epitome of all dumbness for the Cowboys to not tank game 16, which addresses either (preferably both, but either would be nice) of the following:

Why didn't Jerry Jones want to deliberately throw the game?

What specifically could Garrett have done to throw the game?
Man, you really got me there... Yup... Just a madden guy with no real understanding of how football with real people works. Just 3D objects on a television...

Hey bro, on a serious note:

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-03-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #150
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Man, you really got me there... Yup... Just a madden guy with no real understanding of how football with real people works. Just 3D objects on a television...

Hey bro, on a serious note:

That must be your sixth or seventh response to the subject matter where you make it abundantly clear that you never once considered anything other than draft position. You don't have a clue as to why Jones preferred not to tank this game. You haven't given the slightest thought about how tanking might have affected the rest of the team.

You've got nothing, bro, and I know it.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #151
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Oops...missed this very compelling comment you made via the rep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan
Fuck you faggot..
Let's make that about 8 responses on your part where you fail to make anything resembling a cogent argument.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #152
chumdawg
Guru

Let's wait and see how the draft pans out. It would probably take top-four to get Peterson anyway, and even higher for Fairley. Maybe we can still make a move up the board if we want one of those guys. Or maybe...who knows...maybe the guy we want slides to us. Stranger things have certainly happened.

However, if we don't move up, I can easily see it shaking out where we trade down some spots in order to target an offensive lineman. The way they seem to be graded now, #9 is too high.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #153
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
That must be your sixth or seventh response to the subject matter where you make it abundantly clear that you never once considered anything other than draft position. You don't have a clue as to why Jones preferred not to tank this game. You haven't given the slightest thought about how tanking might have affected the rest of the team.

You've got nothing, bro, and I know it.
And this has to be the 6th or 7th straight post where you hang your hat on made assumptions. Assumptions that I never considered anything when forming my opinion. Assumptions that because we won Jerry didn't want us to lose. Assumptions that I have ever actually lost a regular season game in Madden and therefore have some understanding through that game what it must be like to try to lose a game for a better draft pick. Etc...

I mean how could you (even as cocky, smug, and stupid as you are coming off) sit there and assume that I haven't considered the subject matter that I am posting on? How stupid do you have to be to assume all someone does when they give their opinion is open their mouth and let random thoughts dump out onto the keyboard?

I can pretty much guarantee you have sound reasoning for your thoughts, as wrong as that reasoning might be. Yet you label me as an armchair madden goof off that has no brains on the subject matter and no thoughts outside of GET ER DONE JERRAH - LET'S PICK FIRST!

You are right about one thing though. I have nothing. I have nothing left to say to you clown.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #154
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oops...missed this very compelling comment you made via the rep...

Let's make that about 8 responses on your part where you fail to make anything resembling a cogent argument.
Damn it... I forgot to include "you monkey-ass clown" at the end of that compelling argument.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #155
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
I mean how could you (even as cocky, smug, and stupid as you are coming off) sit there and assume that I haven't considered the subject matter that I am posting on?
Because prior to my bringing the subject up, you never once indicated that anything mattered other than draft position. In 9 responses to posts by me that things other than draft position matter, you've not posted a single statement to indicate that you considered anything other than draft position.

Does that answer your question?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #156
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Because prior to my bringing the subject up, you never once indicated that anything mattered other than draft position. In 9 responses to posts by me that things other than draft position matter, you've not posted a single statement to indicate that you considered anything other than draft position.

Does that answer your question?
So you truly think all I care about is draft position? Like, that's it? Draft position. My football world ends after the draft. That's what you genuinely believe from a handful of posts on this message board? Have you read anything else I have posted in this thread prior to 1-7? Anything after 1-7 on other threads?

Again, assumptions... You hang your hat squarely on top of them.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #157
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I'm, um, heading home to, um, play Madden now so I can't Internet fight with you anymore. Good day.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #158
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
So you truly think all I care about is draft position?
Your judgement that winning a football game was dumb and stupid, and that having some modicum of success during the second half of the season was a tremendous failure is based entirely on the fact that this dropped the 'boys a handful of positions in the draft.

It is implicitly your position that the Cowboys should have tanked Game 16, yet you cannot and will not respond to the unintended consequences of deliberately losing.

I asked a string of questions regarding considerations in tanking here, and you did not (probably could not) answer one single question.

You have not addressed the obvious question: How would a command from above to throw this game affect Witten, Ware, Ratcliff, Garrett, etc., etc...? You haven't addressed it and it's abundantly evident that you've never really considered it.

It's not an assumption, Dan, that your judgement that the Cowboys should have tanked on Sunday is strictly based on how it affects their draft position (without concern for how it affects 30+ players and coaches who will be returning next season), but instead it is an inference based on an abundance of evidence.

Perhaps you'd be able to tighten up your arguments a bit if you'd learn the difference between an inference and an assumption.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #159
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Your judgement that winning a football game was dumb and stupid, and that having some modicum of success during the second half of the season was a tremendous failure is based entirely on the fact that this dropped the 'boys a handful of positions in the draft.

It is implicitly your position that the Cowboys should have tanked Game 16, yet you cannot and will not respond to the unintended consequences of deliberately losing.

I asked a string of questions regarding considerations in tanking here, and you did not (probably could not) answer one single question.

You have not addressed the obvious question: How would a command from above to throw this game affect Witten, Ware, Ratcliff, Garrett, etc., etc...? You haven't addressed it and it's abundantly evident that you've never really considered it.

It's not an assumption, Dan, that your judgement that the Cowboys should have tanked on Sunday is strictly based on how it affects their draft position (without concern for how it affects 30+ players and coaches who will be returning next season), but instead it is an inference based on an abundance of evidence.

Perhaps you'd be able to tighten up your arguments a bit if you'd learn the difference between an inference and an assumption.
Basically that entire post (and your entire argument for that matter) is you saying "no, I understand you are telling me you did consider it, but I am assuming you didn't because you didn't post back to me in a time that meets my needs and because you ranted after a tough loss (a loss in my eyes anyway)." How do I argue against that stellar logic? You don't. You waddle in it. That is exactly what I have been doing for the better part of 2 hours today. Waddling in ignorance and ill-conceived ASSUMPTIONS.

I know you are just itching to post again (because stupidity loves company and your posts enjoy having new friends to play with) so feel free to have it from here. Literally - no more from me.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #160
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Let's wait and see how the draft pans out. It would probably take top-four to get Peterson anyway, and even higher for Fairley. Maybe we can still make a move up the board if we want one of those guys. Or maybe...who knows...maybe the guy we want slides to us. Stranger things have certainly happened.

However, if we don't move up, I can easily see it shaking out where we trade down some spots in order to target an offensive lineman. The way they seem to be graded now, #9 is too high.
Well of course. Peterson and Prince both COULD be off the board by the 6th pick, which kind of puts a dent in my theory that we could have snagged one with a week 17 loss. That said, it is likely one of them would be there. HOPEFULLY one will be there at 9.

Tags
theticket29cyborg, we win superballs now?