Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-10-2003, 10:56 AM   #41
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road
Default Baylor Hoopster Missing

sounds like the Waco cops are screwing this up even more.

A former teammate of missing Baylor basketball player Patrick Dennehy will not talk to police again unless he is ordered to by a judge because of the way authorities in Waco, Texas, are handling the case, his attorney said yesterday.

Carlton Dotson has been questioned once by a Waco detective who went to Virginia Beach, Va., after Dennehy's SUV was found in a mall parking lot two weeks ago. Dotson was at his Hurlock, Md., home for the summer.

Dennehy, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound center, has not been heard from since mid-June.

Waco police have called Dotson a "person of interest." No charges have been filed.

Meanwhile, Dennehy's mother, Valorie Brabazon of Carson City, Nev., said yesterday that Baylor coaches told her he had complained about being stalked before he turned up missing.

Dotson's attorney, Grady Irvin Jr., said he told Waco police in a letter Tuesday to contact him if detectives wanted to interview Dotson. Irvin said the letter was private but Waco authorities misconstrued it and told the news media about it.

"I am announcing that my client will now only respond to a duly issued subpoena by an appropriate judge," Irvin, a St. Petersburg, Fla., attorney known for representing athletes, said yesterday.

signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #42
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
sounds like the Waco cops are screwing this up even more.
I find it laughable that you come up with this "conclusion" based on a potential suspects opinion. Since you know nothing of what the police are doing, to conclude that they are "screwing it up" is pretty short-sighted. I'm not defending the WPD...they certainly have a past reputation, but the path you took to formulate this conclusion is forked at best.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #43
signoftimes

Default RE: Baylor Hoopster Missing

I think when you have a witness who is startled has been threatened along with Denehy and now denehy is missing, you don't want to startle that witness even further.

Instead the Waco cops release correspondence of that 'person of interest' and now the person will only talk if he is court ordered. They should have handled Dotson with a little more care. Now it's going to be like pulling teeth just to talk to him again. Plus every conversation is now going to require the decree of a judge.

Deciding my statement is laughable when the WPD has chased off a scared witness doesn't make sense to me. Why is the path I've taken to get to this conclusion forked. The WPD scared off the only witness they have right now in a case that is getting colder every day. The WPD screwed up.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #44
Drbio
Banned

I don't tell folks this very often, but You are absolutely incorrect.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #45
signoftimes

I don't know what I did to piss you off. But when a witness refuses to cooperate unless ordered by a judge because of the actions of the police officers involved. It sounds to me, the officers screwed up. You can continue to disagree with me, I don't care.

Quote:
Dotson's attorney, Grady Irvin Jr., said he told Waco police in a letter Tuesday to contact him if detectives wanted to interview Dotson. Irvin said the letter was private but Waco authorities misconstrued it and told the news media about it.
Even the article syas the police miscontrued( miscontrue defined: To mistake the meaning of; misinterpret) Dotsons letter.
Wow, to misinterpret and mistake the meaning sounds like the cops messed up.

This rididulous and not worth spending any more time on.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #46
Drbio
Banned

I'm not pissed off. You are just wrong that's all. Any half-wit with even the worlds worst lawyer recognizes that they don't have to speak to the police. Ever hear of Miranda? Incidents where some jackoff lawyer holds a press conference to say his client isn't going to speak to the police anymore without a court order happen every day. Are all police departments across the US screwing up as a result? Heck no. That idea is just plain retarded. Your circular logic attempt has too many gaps. The WPD didn't screw up, you did by trying to make a half-witted conclusion.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #47
Drbio
Banned

:::::::BREAKING NEWS:::::::

Local Waco radio is reporting that Dotson just surrendered voluntarily to police in Maryland. No other info is available right now. I will caution you that this could be anything from an admission that he did it to just a request for an interview. The news is just breaking so we really don't know why he surrendered. Stay tuned. If I hear anything else I will post it.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:29 PM   #48
Drbio
Banned

One more thing.....local radio also reported yesterday that Dennehey's cell phone showed two calls. One was to a limo service in NY and the other was not disclosed. It could be that this was a link to cause Dotson to come in and talk to police.

As I type this, the radio is reporting that a relative of Dotson told police that Dotson had not slept in several days and was wanting to talk to the police outside of Texas.

Sounds bad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2003, 11:15 PM   #49
Drbio
Banned

The WPD has announced a 10am news conference for tomorrow. Dotson was not charged today based on the information he provided to Maryland police, but he is not to leave the area and is supposed to check in whatever that means. Apparently, a second call on Denneheys' phone is now linked to Dotson. More news tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:08 AM   #50
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the updates.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #51
Drbio
Banned

The Waco PD is remarkably tight lipped about the context of Dotsons statements. The press conference was essentially a waste of time. The one thing they vehemently steered away from was the second phone call on Denneheys cell phone records. Also, the normal players were not present for the press conference. Steve Anderson and others that I know were not there. Could this mean they are on their way to Maryland? Probably so as it is very unusual for them not to be there. Anderson is the official spokesman on all media matters. The main detectives were suspiciously absent as well.

It's only speculation on my part, but methinks something is a brewing.