Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-04-2001, 11:14 PM   #1
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

He is pissed off with Toronto right now over the trade of his friend mark to the knicks. He would look pretty good in a mavericks uniform. A center who can score, rebound and play defense, huh, what a plus that would be.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I would love it if Cuban could convince him to play for us next year. But, from most reports that I've read is that he is already gearing up for Orlando to join his bud McGrady. Don't underestimate Cuban though.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:33 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I REALLY wanna see Davis in a Mavs uniform next year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] If he leaves Tornoto, I have a feeling he's headed to Orlando though. Damn that's scary..a lineup consisting of T-Mac, Grant Hill, Antonio Davis, Darrell Armstrong, etc.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 09:26 AM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'd like to have Davis too but I remember hearing somewhere, that part of the reason he might leave Canada is because he doesn't want to play center. Which he is currently doing with the Raptors.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2001, 06:13 PM   #5

I've liked 'Tonio since his days with UTEP. I'd love to see him play in big D.
Old 03-06-2001, 11:42 PM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been talking about Antonio Davis all year on Sportstalk... Dallas will almost certainly go after him in the off season. I don't know if our $4 million exception will be enough, but where there is a will, there is a way (and I know said that on the Bradley argument topic before)...
Old 03-07-2001, 12:03 AM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the Mavs were thinking about using the exception to sign Strick. I'd LOVE to see Davis in a Mavs uni next year tho.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:59 AM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'd like Strick back too. And Rumors in Vancover are that he's coming back. WOOHOO! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Old 03-07-2001, 12:58 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Strickland and Laettner are both possibilities for the exception... Davis would probably have to be aquired (if we could do it) with a sign and trade...
Old 03-07-2001, 01:01 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

Honestly I'd really like to have Laettner back if he doesn't mind being a role player again. A Bradley/Laettner/Booth rotation wouldn't be so bad if the Mavs don't land Deke or Davis.
Old 03-07-2001, 02:27 PM   #11
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Considering the fact that both Laettner and Mr.Cuban have both mused in the press about the possibility of his return, I think he would be the best bet for our exception this Summer... I know I would like to see him back...
Old 03-07-2001, 03:26 PM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see Strickland back as well but it depends on what cost. I would rather use the exception on Antonio Davis (if he'd take that) or Christian Laettner, assuming we have no chance at getting Mutombo or Webber. If we could do a sign-and-trade of Bradley and Trent to get Davis, I would do it. If no chance there or any other player of his type, sign Laettner for the exception.

How would we get Strick though?
Old 03-07-2001, 03:30 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

We'd have to sign Strick with the exception. I agree with you though, that we should make a mad push for Davis first. I think Laettner would be happy to be back, and the $4 mil would keep him happy while sharing mins at center.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

DJ, that's the problem. If we sign Laettner to the exception, what do we have to offer Strick? Nothing.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:45 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

If we don't get a center, I'd rather have Laettner then Strick. But still I'd like to have both. Couldn't we just sign him to a minimum contract or something (if he'd accept it)? I don't know the salary rules or anything so someone feel free to jump in on this one.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:47 PM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Someone said we could sign Strick to the minimum. I just don't think he'd go for that, if money is what he's after first. But, if he wants to come to Dallas badly, he might take it. But, if we can trade Bradley and Trent to get Davis, then that exception goes to Strick. Should be an interesting off season.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

Bradley/Trent/cash would actually be a pretty good deal for Toronto imo, if Davis really has no intention of re-signing. Maybe throw in a second-rounder.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:50 PM   #18
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I got a feeling Strick would sign for the minimum. And I'm not to keen on getting L8ner back. Isn't there something out there better.

Old 03-07-2001, 03:51 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Damn, I'd do that deal in a heart beat.

Old 03-07-2001, 03:58 PM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

The only way I want Laettner back, is if we can't get Davis or someone of his style in a sign-and-trade or with the exception. Im sure Cuban and Nelson will go after Davis with a vengeance. It comes down to whether he finds us or Orlando more attractive. We'll see. There's not much out there that's attractive really. The only reason I don't want to get Dale Davis (I do want him) is because I can't imagine giving Portland any of our guys or helping them improve.

I hope Strickland would sign for the minimum if we use our exception on something else.

Ok, Im taking off to the store. I'll be back in time for the game. Talk to you guys then.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:39 PM   #21
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I feel that the only reason strickland wouldnt come back would be his lack of playing time here. I believe that webber is not realistically coming here, so I feel that we will go after antonio davis and Trent will be involved. We have booth so i feel that bradley might bve involved in a sign and trade with someone also.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 04:42 PM   #22
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Buckner would get most of the minutes that a returned Strickland would compete for... I think Nelson likes his defense better than Stricklands' scoring and playmaking...
Old 03-07-2001, 07:56 PM   #23
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see both A. Davis and Strick here next season[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 08:28 PM   #24
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

Are you guys talking about Erick Strikland? I'm going to assume you are...he was an average player in Dallas, not definitely an allstar or anything. I haven't been following his career since he left. Finley at the 2 and Nash and Eisley at the 1 are better than him. Latenner was also an average player, just another guy to platoon in and out at center to rack up an additional 6 fouls against the dominating centers.

Antonio Davis on the other hand would be a very nice addition...anybody have his current contract amount handy? We could then see how willing he would be to go for 4 mil.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 08:56 PM   #25

Antonio Davis 7 yr/$38,500,000 free agent in 2003.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:00 PM   #26
djb
Administrator

Davis is making $5.5 mil this year. Next year he'll be making $7 mil (player option). If you guys have never heard of Real GM, I suggest you check it out NOW! We should all try to put together a trade for Davis, and then see who comes up with the best package.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:01 PM   #27

they probly owe him more than 5 and change for the last few years of his contract. The Mavs would have to sign and trade for him then use some of that 4 mill to get another guard or work it into some free agents contracts that are going to pop up at the end of this year.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:03 PM   #28

that works too. hehe good site DJ thanks
Old 03-07-2001, 10:19 PM   #29
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I get the feeling you guys don't have much respect for our former Bradley/Laettner center tandem... I'm not sure how many people were aware of this, but that center tandem was one of the best in the league. They averaged something like 18 ppg, 13 rpg, 5 bpg, and 2 spg in about 48 minutes a game. That's tops in the NBA, in the top three or four in every single category alongside Shaq/Foster and a few others... Those guys dominated when they split the minutes.
Old 03-07-2001, 10:57 PM   #30
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I also would like to have Laetner back. He impressed me with his hard play. Not at all like his reputation for being soft. Another topic is who is going to be a free agent this season? Between Finley, Bradley, Trent, and whoever else, I belive we are going to be far enough under the cap to sign someone straight out, then come back and re-sign those guys since we have their bird rights. Does anyone know or know of a site that has next year's projected salary? I used to know of some lady that had extremely accurate info and was really good about this kind of stuff, but I can't remember her name and I can't remember her site either.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:04 PM   #31
djb
Administrator

Are you talking about Patricia's site?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:04 PM   #32
djb
Administrator

Also, have you tried Real GM yet?
Old 03-07-2001, 11:05 PM   #33
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Go to that Real GM site and click on "Salary Info" at the top.

Old 03-07-2001, 11:06 PM   #34
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Here's Patricia's site

Old 03-07-2001, 11:07 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

ha, beat ya DJ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-07-2001, 11:08 PM   #36
djb
Administrator

I thought I'd let ya have that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2001, 11:10 PM   #37
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Bradley/Laettner also caused all kinds of matchup problems with their dissimilar styles of play...
Old 03-07-2001, 11:12 PM   #38
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Whoops, I thought the posts at the end of page one were the last ones posted...
Old 03-07-2001, 11:13 PM   #39
djb
Administrator

I thought Laettner was finally starting to get comfortable the last few games before being traded. He was hitting mid-range jumpers with ease and driving to the basket. I hope he re-signs.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:14 PM   #40
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, her site is awesome. I just gotta wonder what kind of life she has to keep with all of that!
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote