Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook: Nash, Rebounding, Cartoons, Najera, More

Notebook: Kings wary of Nash
Sacramento still expecting big things from Mavs guardb

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Steve Nash had lackluster shooting performances in Games 1 and 2 in Sacramento. Foul trouble plagued him in Game 3. The Mavericks' point guard conceded Sunday this series hasn't been full of highlight-reel material.

Yet the Kings are keeping tabs on Nash, convinced he will break loose in Game 4 today at American Airlines Center.

"[Game 3] was the first time I've probably ever seen them play so well without him having to do everything for them," Sacramento point guard Mike Bibby said. "So I think the main thing still is to stop him."

Nash is on pace to post some of the lowest playoffs totals of his career. He's shooting 35 percent (14-for-40), including only 2-for-6 from 3-point range. He shot better than 41 percent in the playoffs from 2001-03.

Numbers get overblown in this business, Nash said. The bottom line this time of year is what's on the scoreboard. Nash said he's going continue being aggressive and look for other ways to help his team win.

"The main ways I score are pick-and-rolls and transitions," Nash said. "On pick-and-rolls, they're double-teaming me. In some ways, I've got to be sacrificial and not be stubborn and take shots over a double-team."

"Small guys" rebounding:

The Mavericks are playing without a true center but still have a plus-22 rebounding edge in the series. Kings forward Chris Webber said he's been impressed with how the Mavs' "small guys" go after rebounds.

"They've been seeking to destroy the glass," Webber said.

Rookie Josh Howard (6-7) had 14 rebounds in Game 3, and Steve Nash (6-3) had five. The Mavericks have outrebounded the Kings, 63-33, on the offensive end in all. Thirty more scoring chances are not what Dallas needs, Webber joked.

Najera watching knee:

Mavericks forward Eduardo Najera said he can tell if his knee will bother him in pregame warm-ups. Nagging injury or not, Najera has impacted the last two games with defensive hustle, especially when guarding Chris Webber.

"I think his knee's feeling well just by ... how active he is," Mavs coach Don Nelson said.

Bibby not amused:

The animated feature that poked fun at the Kings on Saturday night did not sit well with Mike Bibby.

"We owe them one for that," said Bibby, who added that the part of the cartoon depicting Doug Christie on all fours while wearing a leash was beyond the line of good fun.

Dirk makes third team:

Dirk Nowitzki was named to the all-NBA third team. It's a step down for the Mavs forward, who was named to the second team last season. Nevertheless, falling in line behind forwards Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Peja Stojakovic and Jermaine O'Neal is no disgrace.

"There are a lot of deserving players on this team," Nowitzki said. "It's an honor."

It was his fourth straight selection to the all-NBA team; he's one of seven to make the first, second or third teams the last four seasons. He averaged 21.8 points and 8.7 rebounds.

Briefly:

Kings coach Rick Adelman refused to rule out a return by injured sixth man Bobby Jackson if the series reaches Game 7. Jackson has played one game since Feb. 22 because of an abdominal strain. Adelman said a return "might happen" but that it was unlikely.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:DMN Notebook: Nash, Rebounding, Cartoons, Najera, More

Nash does need to step up his game. I realize we just blew Sacramento out of the water in Game 3, but this team will not go far in these playoffs if the Big 3 aren't at their best. Dirk has been steady, Finley seems to be on his way back, but Nash has not yet had an above average game. So, Nash needs to start finding his game before we go back to Arco.

"Small guys" rebounding:

The Mavs dominance on the boards are the one true edge they have against the Kings. I know many would point to their lack of turnovers or transition scoring, however, because of their smaller size, the fact that they are still outrebounding them is such an advantage.

Najera watching knee:

I'm almost as concerned about this as the Kings fans are about Webber's knees. Eddie has really been a factor in this series and before all is done, he still be a factor unless, God forbid, his knee starts bothering him.

Bibby not amused:

I realize the animation was for the fans' amusement, and I also realize that players will use anything as an extra motivator, but I thought the animation was in poor taste. Others may blow the whole thing off, and that's fine, but if Cuban asked me about whether to do that or not, I'd tell him to go for something a little less classless. Fortunately or unfortunately, Cuban doesn't ask me.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Dirk makes third team:

His perennial 3rd team status would bother me, if Dirk actually had a great year. As it stands, their are plenty of deserving power forwards in the NBA, so unless Dirk elevates his game further, I'm afraid he'll always be in the 3rd team. The question is, if Dirk was good enough to be a 1st teamer, will that translate into an NBA title for the Mavs?

Briefly:

"Kings coach Rick Adelman refused to rule out a return by injured sixth man Bobby Jackson if the series reaches Game 7. Jackson has played one game since Feb. 22 because of an abdominal strain. Adelman said a return "might happen" but that it was unlikely."

Are you allowed to turn in a fake injury in the NBA? I read somewhere that, unlike in the NHL, this wasn't allowed in the NBA. Can someone confirm or refute this?

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Are you allowed to turn in a fake injury in the NBA? I read somewhere that, unlike in the NHL, this wasn't allowed in the NBA. Can someone confirm or refute this?
That's true, you have to have a believable injury. Remember last game of the season last year when Duncan was "injured", Spurs were almost fined for that because it is against NBA rules, but it's hard to prove...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
"I think his knee's feeling well just by ... how active he is," Mavs coach Don Nelson said.
[img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img]
Don't Be Cruel
(words & music by Otis Blackwell - Elvis Presley)

You know I can be found,
sitting home all alone,
If you can't come around,
at least please telephone.
Don't be cruel to a heart that's true.

Baby, if I made you mad
for something I might have said,
Please, let's forget the past,
the future looks bright ahead,
I don't want no other love,
Baby it's just you I'm thinking of.

Don't stop thinking of me,
don't make me feel this way,
Come on over here and love me,
you know what I want you to say.
Why should we be apart?
I really love you baby, cross my heart.

Let's walk up to the preacher
and let us say I do,
Then you'll know you'll have me,
and I'll know that I'll have you,

[img]i/expressions/musicnote.gif[/img]

Old 04-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #5
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
That's true, you have to have a believable injury. Remember last game of the season last year when Duncan was "injured", Spurs were almost fined for that because it is against NBA rules, but it's hard to prove...
I just hope the Mavs are ready to possibly see Jackson make his 2004 Playoff debut when they return to Sacramento this Thursday.

I, personally, wouldn't be surprised, despite all the "injury" talk about how "strained" his abdomen is.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Let him come....they need all the help they can get IMO
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote