Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-05-2023, 04:46 PM   #321
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Mavs win the championship and they get dismantled the next year. Mavs go to WCF and they get dismantled again. Very strange thinking.

Last edited by Simon2; 02-05-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Simon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2023, 04:47 PM   #322
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Mavs win the championship and they get dismantled the next year. Mavs go to WCF and they get dismantled again. Very strange thinking.
We didn't dismantle anything this time. This team was not a contender, and overachieved last season and lost Brunson.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:53 PM   #323
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

excited to see Luka playing "off ball" at times as he did when Dragic was running point for Slov.
We were riding Luka hard - and when he was off the court our offense really struggled.
Kyrie can handle the ball probably better than anyone else in the league.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #324
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Wood is a superior player to Zubac. I wouldn?t trade Wood for him straight up I?d need more.
He is much better offensively, but there is an equally big gap in their defense. I guess we can agree that Zubac right now, would be a much better fit for us with our two biggest problems (defense and rebounding).
Budapest Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #325
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

This was necessary. For all of Kyries warts, dude is a legit superstar and is easily the best player to ever team up with Luka. It also takes a major load off of Lukas shoulders from
a ball handling perspective.

Sometimes you have to take gambles. Go. For. It. We are wasting years of Luka behind mid names like DFS and Dinwiddie. To turn those two guys into Kyrie is insane.

Win now. I love this move.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #326
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do you honestly think this team, as constructed was going to even sniff the WCF again? The usage rate for Luka is astronomical and NOT realistic.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:01 PM   #327
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Zubac for Wood is Ludacris. And Clips would do it just so they don't have to watch Luka top Zubac in embarrassing fashion in front of 30k people every game.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-05-2023 at 05:04 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:06 PM   #328
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Do you honestly think this team, as constructed was going to even sniff the WCF again? The usage rate for Luka is astronomical and NOT realistic.
Honestly, I think they could go back. However, winning is another story. This might take them over the hump. Who is the defensive stopper at small forward now?
Old 02-05-2023, 05:11 PM   #329
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

OK so they definitely need to go out and get that rim protector with Luka and Kyire playing together.

Someone is going to have cover up their mistakes when teams go at them right

Bamba or Noel has to be a must pickup at tthis point IMO

I simply don't trust Powell.

Otherwise there best chance for defense around Luka and Kyrie would be Wood, Green, Bullock, Kyrie and Luka

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-05-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:13 PM   #330
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Honestly, I think they could go back. However, winning is another story. This might take them over the hump. Who is the defensive stopper at small forward now?
We didn't have a stopper at SF before the trade. Green might be it, next season and beyond.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #331
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Josh Green

No way THJ continues to start.

I think they need a rim protector but chances are if no trade is made Green and Bullock might start together on the wings
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:16 PM   #332
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
OK so they definitely need to go out and get that rim protector with Luka and Kyire playing together.

Someone is going to have cover up their mistakes when teams go at them right

Bamba or Noel has to be a must pickup at tthis point IMO

I simply don't trust Powell.

Otherwise there best chance for defense around Luka and Kyrie would be Wood, Green, Bullock, Kyrie and Luka
Another trade is ideal, but Maxi and Wood might be passable when both are back healthy and we need to see if Silva can contribute.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #333
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Josh Green

No way THJ continues to start.

I think they need a rim protector but chances are if no trade is made Green and Bullock might start together on the wings
Josh Green is the no brainer addition moving THJ to the bench. And based off decisions thus far this season, we know that means we won't see that

Old 02-05-2023, 05:25 PM   #334
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the balls on Nico, and I LOVE this trade. We all saw how limited this team was, and we needed a move like this. I never loved the Dinwiddie - Luka fit, and DFS?s inconsistency on offense really hurt us at times.

Players like Kyrie don?t grow on trees. Yes he?s volatile, that?s why we were able to get him. You have to be willing to roll the dice on a guy like that. This will also hopefully free up minutes for Green. I wouldn?t be surprised at all if go to the Finals this season.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:28 PM   #335
Simon2
Diamond Member

I guess you can think of it this way, Lebron and Irving won a ring with spares. Maybe Luka is the second coming (or even better) than Lebron and they win together. Wood is not a spare but they need to extend him.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:41 PM   #336
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I LOVE the balls on Nico, and I LOVE this trade. We all saw how limited this team was, and we needed a move like this. I never loved the Dinwiddie - Luka fit, and DFS?s inconsistency on offense really hurt us at times.

Players like Kyrie don?t grow on trees. Yes he?s volatile, that?s why we were able to get him. You have to be willing to roll the dice on a guy like that. This will also hopefully free up minutes for Green. I wouldn?t be surprised at all if go to the Finals this season.
There is something you can't accuse Cuban/Nico of and it's lack of balls.

We're now the only team in the league with two all-star starters. This will either be a huge step forward for the Mavs or it will be another KP. And even if it fails like KP, we're pretty good at turning failure into something good.

We got KP, it failed, and we turned him into SD and Bertans. We traded SD, an undrafted guy we developed, and a FRP for an all-star starter. A few years ago we did something similar with Antoine Walker. He failed here and turned him into the JET who helped us win a championship.

We either win this or we keep trading up.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:42 PM   #337
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so all you had to do was look at the team's stats when Luka doesn't play. Bottom of the league in nearly every category. This was bigger than just trying to fix the rebounding or defense. We needed an infusion of big time talent.

This was just a perfect trade at the perfect time type of situation. We had just enough assets AND we can have max cap space this summer if it doesn't work out. That's worth the risk.

Plus, we all knew shit wasn't gonna happen otherwise. We're not getting Lavine or OG. Probably not Bojan either.

I will say that we can now start working on all in moves now. Like Crowder from Phx etc.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:46 PM   #338
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If we can somehow dump THJ and pick up one of the many rumored centers (Poeltl, Bamba, etc.) then I'd say that at least on paper this is a hell of a TDL for us.

Right now I think we're better (once Wood/Luka/Kleber get healthy), but this still isn't a team that will go much further than the first round.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:48 PM   #339
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad they prioritized keeping Wood. That shows some intelligence there over keeping DFS.

Luka/Wood/Irving is a damn nice trio.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #340
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs depth chart

Powell/Kleber/McDNP (ouch!)
Wood/Bertans/Morris/Silva
THJ/Green
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Wright/Frank/Pinson

Center - obviously nowhere near where you need it. Not one guy is better than 45th at their position (passable backup)
PF - Good starter (12th among centers). Just no depth of any consequence unless Morris turns out. When healthy, Bertans can be old Peja. Kleber can play some PF when healthy, though.
SF - Green good just has to develop and stay out of foul trouble. I hate THJ.
Guards - golden. Two allstar starters who can log heavy minutes. Backups are weak, but you have two players that are top-30

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-05-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:04 PM   #341
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs depth chart

THJ/Green
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Wright/Frank/Pinson

Center - obviously nowhere near where you need it.
PF - Good starter (12th among centers). Just no depth of any consequence unless Morris turns out
Guards - golden.
I think you're starting Green over THJ because you don't need the offense in the starting lineup anymore.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:07 PM   #342
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I guess you can think of it this way, Lebron and Irving won a ring with spares. Maybe Luka is the second coming (or even better) than Lebron and they win together. Wood is not a spare but they need to extend him.
Kevin Love b sad

Old 02-05-2023, 06:10 PM   #343
JustJay

Old 02-05-2023, 06:14 PM   #344
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post

Man, how can anyone be upset with any of that? This stagnant ass FO just shot some adrenaline in the veins.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:15 PM   #345
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I know the league hates THJ as much as we do if not more, but

THJ/McGee and picks can on paper get you Poeltl and McDermott.

We'd have two allstar starters and a starting-caliber player at every position with Poeltl.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:17 PM   #346
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Mavs depth chart

THJ/Green
Kyrie/Hardy
Luka/Wright/Frank/Pinson

Center - obviously nowhere near where you need it. Not one guy is better than 45th at their position (passable backup)
PF - Good starter (12th among centers). Just no depth of any consequence unless Morris turns out. When healthy, Bertans can be old Peja. Kleber can play some PF when healthy, though.
Guards - golden. Two allstar starters who can log heavy minutes. Backups are weak, but you have two players that are top-30
If THJ is a starter, we are chocolate fucked. Period. Of course he will be but good god

Old 02-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #347
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
If THJ is a starter, we are chocolate fucked. Period. Of course he will be but good god
Well that lineup is the worst defensive lineup in the league too. I'd rather make a trade for a defensive PF like Crowder or a rebounder like Vanderbilt and keep wood at center.

Old 02-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #348
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well that lineup is the worst defensive lineup in the league too. I'd rather make a trade for a defensive PF like Crowder or a rebounder like Vanderbilt and keep wood at center.
And Kidd can justify benching THJ because we have enough offense now

Old 02-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #349
JustJay

I bet we tried to dump THJ off on the Nets and they told us where to stick that idea.

Might be difficult to move him at all. Terrible contract.

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:41 PM   #350
JustJay

Old 02-05-2023, 06:58 PM   #351
JustJay

I don't know that Kyrie makes us great but who in the West is really scary? Maybe Denver or Memphis. I doubt they'll be thrilled to face the best backcourt in the league. But we still need to make more moves for sure.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:17 PM   #352
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is something you can't accuse Cuban/Nico of and it's lack of balls.

We're now the only team in the league with two all-star starters. This will either be a huge step forward for the Mavs or it will be another KP. And even if it fails like KP, we're pretty good at turning failure into something good.

We got KP, it failed, and we turned him into SD and Bertans. We traded SD, an undrafted guy we developed, and a FRP for an all-star starter. A few years ago we did something similar with Antoine Walker. He failed here and turned him into the JET who helped us win a championship.

We either win this or we keep trading up.
I don?t really see it as balls. This is who Cuban has been. Business first and is incapable of building a team organically, but only wants the short way to the top, hoping to swoop in on disgruntled talent, which always screws the team out of assets.

I low key hope they can swing a good SnT in the summer. There?s no way you can trust Kyrie who hasn?t done anything meaningful since 2016 who happened to have the greatest player of the last 20 years by his side.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:27 PM   #353
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I don?t really see it as balls. This is who Cuban has been. Business first and is incapable of building a team organically, but only wants the short way to the top, hoping to swoop in on disgruntled talent, which always screws the team out of assets.

I low key hope they can swing a good SnT in the summer. There?s no way you can trust Kyrie who hasn?t done anything meaningful since 2016 who happened to have the greatest player of the last 20 years by his side.
Well it's not his scoring that has fallen off which is what he was best at anyway, he's averaged 27 ppg 3 of the last 4 seasons including this season and 26.9 the other one, those are his highest 4 scoring seasons. Automatic from the free throw line and good 3 point shooter, average assist player at about 5 a game. This is who he's always been and he hasn't dropped in production. Never was a good defender so nothing's change as far as him. May just be the team around him.

The Celtics definitely made him look bad and made it farther without him, the Nets has mostly been a mess they never had KD him and Harden healthy at the same time then they traded Harden for Ben which didn't help anything. 27 ppg is still pretty great from an individual standpoint though. But you're correct it never translated to team success really except with Lebron and Kevin Love.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:34 PM   #354
JustJay

Both Kyrie and Luka average over 20 shots per game for years now, Luka 22 shots per game this year. If you're one of the other 3 starters don't expect many shots.

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:39 PM   #355
JustJay

and Nico and Kyrie had a connection through Nike.

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #356
JustJay

Old 02-05-2023, 08:03 PM   #357
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

I dont expect the national media or must pundits to like this move for obvious reasons. I would like to know what their solution would be though. Continue to run it back with this ridiculously flawed team while Luka carries an entire franchise on his shoulders? If Kyrie works? then fantastic, i think we could realistically challenge for a title. If he doesn?t? Then the Mavs opened up a 21 million dollars to possibly go after an impact player this summer.

I just don?t see how this move doesn?t work for the Mavs. We had to show Luka that we are going to surround him with more than a bunch of one dimensional 3 and D guys.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:06 PM   #358
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
I dont expect the national media or must pundits to like this move for obvious reasons. I would like to know what their solution would be though. Continue to run it back with this ridiculously flawed team while Luka carries an entire franchise on his shoulders? If Kyrie works? then fantastic, i think we could realistically challenge for a title. If he doesn?t? Then the Mavs opened up a 21 million dollars to possibly go after an impact player this summer.

I just don?t see how this move doesn?t work for the Mavs. We had to show Luka that we are going to surround him with more than a bunch of one dimensional 3 and D guys.
I'm only disappointed in the 2027 unprotected first round pick, but the price of doing business I guess. Lakers would have given them one for Kyrie too.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #359
JustJay

nm

Last edited by JustJay; 02-05-2023 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #360
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post

and Nico and Kyrie had a connection through Nike.
A game in high school? Lol
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote