Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all
Default Podkolzin to pratice next week

Quote:
One of the questions about Mavericks rookie C Pavel Podkolzin entering the 2004 draft was a pituitary disorder he had been diagnosed with. In the past, surgery for the disorder would have involved breaking open his skull to remove a tumor on his pituitary gland. But last week at the Skull Base Institute, Podkolzin underwent a unique process in which the tumor was removed through his nose. Podkolzin spent just one day in the hospital and will begin practicing in a few weeks. . . .
Good news, I guess.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Podkolzin to pratice next week

brave guy to say the least.

Who knows if he'll play, but practicing is a step forward.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Yes, great news for him and the Mavs.

Good luck, Pavel. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Podkolzin to pratice next week

The Era of the Bear begins. I just hope that we fans might eventually be lucky enough to be able to see Donnie's soft-handed 7-5 project grow and develop into the coordinated, sharp-shooting, center-monster that some scouts believe he just might become...
Old 12-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

or... we'll see that he's 7'5" and... well... that's about it.
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

I know that an operation is not a laughable matter ...

...but taking a tumor out through the nose, it strikes me as "wow, he just picked the world's largest and nastiest booger"

Now we send you back to more serious chatters to get things back on track :-)
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Podkolzine's pituitary problems scared away many NBA general managers, but two Summer's ago, before his medical prognosis became well known, he was regarded as a probable top-5 pick. Additionally, Chad Ford stated in an Insider Q&A that Donnie Nelson told him shortly before the draft, that he would consider taking the Siberian giant #1 if he possessed that pick, and further stated that Donnie was hell-bent on aquiring the amazingly coordinated, very skilled, naturally strong, 18 year old giant.

Now I'm sure that it's going to take a few years for Big Pavel to learn and adjust to the NBA game, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if after everything is said and done, the Siberian Giant Pavel ends up being the most significant long-term aquisition that our Mav's made this off-season. I also won't be at all surprised to hear more short-sighted, idiotic Mavs fans harping and crowing over the next couple of seasons that, "PPod's a stiff", "Pavel sucks", or "Well he's 7'5" and that's about it". Obviously, everybody's entitled to have their own opinions about Big Pavel, but as I said, Podkolzine will almost certainly need a few seasons to acclimate to the NBA, and for my own part, I'm willing to bet that Donnie's confidence in the giant Siberian just might be well placed (as it was for a certain 6-11, 18 year old German, a few years back)...
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM   #8
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

He's still young and might grow some more even with the surgery. The important point is that the tumor has been removed. This type of tumor eventually causes blindness and premature death even though it is benign. Many victims are frail and can't get around very well. I am just happy for him in that regard whether or not he becomes an all-star center for the Mavs. However, I do hope that he eventually develops into something great for the Mavs.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 08:37 PM   #9
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I hope his knees hold up. There are too many question marks around his health.

I hope he turns out to be good later, but honestly that would surprise me.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

For those of you who haven't seen him play, you should at least look for the italian league highlights they show of him where he knocks down a three flawlessly and his dunking ability. And of course his intense emotion when he scores. He's a very scary and intense player. I think he's going to be causing nightmares for opposing teams in the years to come.

Old 12-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Pod may be a very nice player in a few years and he may very well be what Evil said, "the most significant long-term aquisition that our Mav's made this off-season", but a center knocking down a three against lesser competition doesn't impress me at all.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:35 PM   #12
bloodyhell

>but a center knocking down a three against lesser competition

Define "lesser competition". The team he knocked down a three against was in fact better than his own. If you mean by playing in italy then let me remind you of the olympics. Italy wiped the floor with the u.s. team. Complain til the cows come home. The u.s. team got effing housed. Dirk was right when he said the u.s. team was lucky to beat lithuania.

>doesn't impress me at all.

Of course nothing impresses you. You're too boring to be impressed. You don't act like a lady. More like a classless and base plebeian.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Does he knock down A three or A FEW threes?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:07 AM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So bloody... you think that Italian Basketball has surpassed American Basketball? Is that what you are implying?

I'm not impressed either. I want a Center in the paint, not camped out downtown.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Of course nothing impresses you. You're too boring to be impressed. You don't act like a lady. More like a classless and base plebeian.
wow, more insults from a low quality poster. I'm not too impressed even by your AP high school english vocabulary.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:32 AM   #16
bloodyhell

>wow, more insults from a low quality poster. I'm not too impressed even by your AP high school english vocabulary.

Ahh Yet another diatribe filled and weak reply that ignores the discussion. More inane vitriol from the classless plebeian I see. Your arguments are weak, baseless and that of 4 y/o it appears. Stick to flaming other threads. You clearly had no basis butting your nose in on this one, acerebral mental midget. In the future leave the discussions to those that are well versed in the subjects.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Bloody, I am going to buy you a "word a day" calender for Christmas so you can add to the six or seven .25 cent words you pepper in every one of your posts. Hell, I'm feeling extra kind we can start today.

December 07th:

Dullard: A person regarded as mentally dull. Origin is largely unkown though many attribute the word's resurgance to coincide with that of the message board troll.

Happy Holidays

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #18
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
Bloody, I am going to buy you a "word a day" calender for Christmas so you can add to the six or seven .25 cent words you pepper in every one of your posts. Hell, I'm feeling extra kind we can start today.

December 07th:

Dullard: A person regarded as mentally dull. Origin is largely unkown though many attribute the word's resurgance to coincide with that of the message board troll.

Happy Holidays
Genius: A person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; Syn see GRBH
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #19
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

plebians are cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #20
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Bloodyhell wrote:
Quote:
[Erica]In the future leave the discussions to those that are well versed in the subjects.

Bloody, have you even seen Pavel play one game or are you basing your assumptions on a select few Italian league highlights?

You know, I was once tremendously excited about Pavel and also thought he would dominate in the future, but only after watching him play in person did I realize that Pavel has a very long way to come before ever being mentioned in the same breath with the word "dominate"

In regards to EL's comment about not being fond of seeing a 7'5, 300 pound center knocking down threes, ...not only do I agree but the utter thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote