Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
greensborohill

greensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the roughgreensborohill is a jewel in the rough
Default I'm now on it

I've seen numerous threads about firing Nelly, and I thought to myself "Let it go, things are good." But not after last night.

We should have won last night, but I saw a grizzled veteran coach get owned by an up and comer and it was an embarassment.

I don't mind playing the missmatches, that's fine, but come crunch time, every coach (except Nelly) goes to their guy. But not Nelson, every fv@king time down the court he would feed to ball to Daniels in the post. And on D he had guys switching pick and rolls on every possesion leaving obvious size mismatches in the post and on the perimiter (sp). Every fv@king time on D the Sonics would run P & R w/ Allen and James and they would get Dirk on Allen, couple times Allen was able to score, the other times you'd see James or other missmatached Big men (b/c Nelly played Dirk, Stack, Howard, Daniels, & Fin, all of you who wondered how all the swing men would get their minutes: there is your answer ) getting O rebounds.

No #$@& PG on the floor, no DAMP (who was awesome by the way). He is a disgrace!!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road
Default RE:I'm now on it

I didn't watch the game last night but I read a lot this morning on this board and looks like Nelly f@cked up pretty bad. Sounds like the good old Nelly to me. For some reasons, I have a feeling that this disaster would happen when Finely comes back.

When Finely was injured, Dirk stepped up and EVERYBODY knows he is the go-to guy. They don't even need to doubt it. But when Finely is back, things start to get messy. Finely taking the last shot...Daniel doing PG and posting up. Where is Dirk in this picture?? And where the HELL is Damp? Was he injured or in foul trouble? How come Damp only played 28mins? Mavs was out-rebounded pretty bad. I thought Mavs had a great rebounding game against the T-Wolves??

This is EXACTLY the same mistake T-Wolves made. Having KG on Dirk is NOT a positive because KG is out of position for rebound many times. Looks like Dirk was out of position many times as well. WTF???

I started a thread about Mavs' defense is an illusion. Well, let me rephrase: Mavs DOES have the defense talents now but what's good if the coach doesn't use it? They would rather sign Damp and not Nash and Damp wasn't even on the court in such an important game. WTF?? What's the logic in this? They signed Armstrong and Terry but they weren't used effectively at all.

I have a feeling this is going to be another WASTED YEAR just like last year. Nelly still cannot figure the set rotation and many people will get traded next year. They just CAN'T do that all the time. You need to let the players play in certain rotation so they know what their roles are. Terry "was" a good guard but he looks so confused on the court. I mean it's already 20 games into the season and they still can't even F@UCKING figure out who is PG? Who is foward? Who is the real center? There's no rotation at all. Enough with all these tricks. Now I am glad that Nash left the team for good. I hate to say this but Dirk should leave Mavs soon if Nelly keeps F@UCKING things up like that.

Sigh.... Nelly is going to f@ck up Dirk's career. If Mavs can't get the top 3 spot, Dirk won't win ANY MVP in his career. With Nelly, Mavs won't win the championship.... what a waste of talents.

Speaking of talents, which team has more talents than Mavs?? If it's not Nelly's fault, then who is it??

OK..I am done. Hate me if you want but I am one ANGRY Mavs fan now.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Another big gripe about Nellie for me is where was the guy when the Nash fiasco was going on? I'm sure he could have smoothened the dealings if he even tried. For all those who are saying that Nellie benching Terry as a way to gt back at Cuban for letting Nash walk, I say that's crap. He didn't even try to talk to Nash. Goes to show that when the season is over, Nellie isn't even thinking of the Mavs.

Quote:
Originally posted by: jibikao
I didn't watch the game last night but I read a lot this morning on this board and looks like Nelly f@cked up pretty bad. Sounds like the good old Nelly to me. For some reasons, I have a feeling that this disaster would happen when Finely comes back.

When Finely was injured, Dirk stepped up and EVERYBODY knows he is the go-to guy. They don't even need to doubt it. But when Finely is back, things start to get messy. Finely taking the last shot...Daniel doing PG and posting up. Where is Dirk in this picture?? And where the HELL is Damp? Was he injured or in foul trouble? How come Damp only played 28mins? Mavs was out-rebounded pretty bad. I thought Mavs had a great rebounding game against the T-Wolves??

This is EXACTLY the same mistake T-Wolves made. Having KG on Dirk is NOT a positive because KG is out of position for rebound many times. Looks like Dirk was out of position many times as well. WTF???

I started a thread about Mavs' defense is an illusion. Well, let me rephrase: Mavs DOES have the defense talents now but what's good if the coach doesn't use it? They would rather sign Damp and not Nash and Damp wasn't even on the court in such an important game. WTF?? What's the logic in this? They signed Armstrong and Terry but they weren't used effectively at all.

I have a feeling this is going to be another WASTED YEAR just like last year. Nelly still cannot figure the set rotation and many people will get traded next year. They just CAN'T do that all the time. You need to let the players play in certain rotation so they know what their roles are. Terry "was" a good guard but he looks so confused on the court. I mean it's already 20 games into the season and they still can't even F@UCKING figure out who is PG? Who is foward? Who is the real center? There's no rotation at all. Enough with all these tricks. Now I am glad that Nash left the team for good. I hate to say this but Dirk should leave Mavs soon if Nelly keeps F@UCKING things up like that.

Sigh.... Nelly is going to f@ck up Dirk's career. If Mavs can't get the top 3 spot, Dirk won't win ANY MVP in his career. With Nelly, Mavs won't win the championship.... what a waste of talents.

Speaking of talents, which team has more talents than Mavs?? If it's not Nelly's fault, then who is it??

Jimmy
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
jibikao

WHAT? Nelson didn't even try to keep Nash? I didn't follow the story but I thought Nelson says Nash is the best PG he has ever coached?

Well, Nelson sounded really excited about Dampier's arrival... so excited that Dampier wasn't given enough attention and mins. Way to go, Nelson.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Jimmy

Maybe you should've watched the game because you would've realized that Dirk was the one who passed Finley his only shot attempt in that fourth quarter which came with a minute left on the clock. I guess that 1 attempt stopped Dirk from being the go to guy and to be honest Dirk was hurt. The guy was limping out on the court and still managed to get a and 1 call. I'm gonna repost this quote everytime someone feels the need to blame Fin for last nights game:

Quote:
"If that situation comes up again, I'll take that shot every time," said Finley, who scored 19 points but was kept off the scoresheet in the final period. "That might have been my first and only shot in the fourth quarter. Maybe I was a little rusty. I had a great pass from Dirk (Nowitzki) and a great look at the basket. I just came up short."

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
jibikao

Then Dirk shouldn't pass out. Be selfish a little. Let his teammates set picks for him and get him open.

Dirk has to be selfish a little to carry the team. Finely cannot and we know it.

Finely took 17 shots. Dirk took 17 shots. And you call that Finely is not taking Dirk's shots away?

I have said it before and I'll it again. When Dirk scores less than 30pt, Mavs has 50% to lose. Look at this year's trend. When Dirk scores 30 or more, Mavs wins.

27 seems like a jinx number to me. Dirk also scored 27 against the Spurs and it was horrible. Well, it's only superstition but my point is Dirk should take more than 20 shots per game. With his height, he can easily shoot over almost anybody.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Then Dirk shouldn't pass out. Be selfish a little. Let his teammates set picks for him and get him open.

Dirk has to be selfish a little to carry the team. Finely cannot and we know it.

Finely took 17 shots. Dirk took 17 shots. And you call that Finely is not taking Dirk's shots away?

I have said it before and I'll it again. When Dirk scores less than 30pt, Mavs has 50% to lose. Look at this year's trend. When Dirk scores 30 or more, Mavs wins.

27 seems like a jinx number to me. Dirk also scored 27 against the Spurs and it was horrible. Well, it's only superstition but my point is Dirk should take more than 20 shots per game. With his height, he can easily shoot over almost anybody.

Jimmy
Dirk also had 10 free throw attempts. Those shots Dirk was fouled on don't count into his field goal attempts. And once again Finley had 1 attempt in the 4th quarter so you can't sit here and blame Finley for Dirk having only 17 attempts. You mean the Mavs only had 1 attempt in the fourth quarter and that was from Finley?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I'm with FFM on this one--totally, completely and without the slightest hint of doubt.

Dirk was hurting bad last night. He showed a lot of guts trying to take the ball into the middle on that possession--but he had no shot whatsoever. None, nada, zilch, no chance.

He made a great pass to get the ball to a good shooter. Not every shot goes in--not for anybody.

Dirk and Fin made the right play, it just didn't happen to work this time. Next time it goes in. And then you'll say the play was genius.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
jibikao

Ok, we'll see how well Finely does next time.

In last playoff, Finely sure didn't impress me that much.

Dirk should be and IS the go-to guy. How bad was Dirk hurt? Is he alright? Maybe we should let Dirk rest a little. We can't afford to lose Dirk... or else we'll have nothing.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 03:06 PM   #10
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

In the mind of the fan any play they think up is successful and the coach is at fault if the team loses.

Coaches live and die by execution. And if a player fails, it is much easier in the day of salary cap to blame the coach and not the player for failing. Because if it is the player, there are money issues which prevent the player from being moved.

So lack of execution is always the coach's problem. And the fan always knows better than the coach.

This board is made up of fans who see this as fact.

Funny how your idea of what should have happened always works in your mind.

Your play or player never misses the winning shot.

What is more amazing is this site quotes stats until the cows come home, yet ignores that players miss shots at an alarming rate. But still YOUR IDEAS are so much more valuable and full of basketball acumen and inshght compared to a guy that has won over 1000 games as a herad coach in the NBA.

Your play always works in your mind.

The fan has hindsight to guide his opinion. In most cases that and a buck or so gets you Starbucks.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TwoDeep3
In the mind of the fan any play they think up is successful and the coach is at fault if the team loses.

Coaches live and die by execution. And if a player fails, it is much easier in the day of salary cap to blame the coach and not the player for failing. Because if it is the player, there are money issues which prevent the player from being moved.

So lack of execution is always the coach's problem. And the fan always knows better than the coach.

This board is made up of fans who see this as fact.

Funny how your idea of what should have happened always works in your mind.

Your play or player never misses the winning shot.

What is more amazing is this site quotes stats until the cows come home, yet ignores that players miss shots at an alarming rate. But still YOUR IDEAS are so much more valuable and full of basketball acumen and inshght compared to a guy that has won over 1000 games as a herad coach in the NBA.

Your play always works in your mind.

The fan has hindsight to guide his opinion. In most cases that and a buck or so gets you Starbucks.
It's amazing how condescending you can be while rarely offering any insight of your own.

Argue why going to Daniels down the stretch was the right move, if that's what you think.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
jibikao

And I thought Daniel is only 70% healthy now??

So Daniel's 70% is still better than all the other bench players. I never know Daniel is THAT good....

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #13
TwoDeep3

Condescention is in the eye of the beholder.

The results rarely matter here at shade-tree coach central.

No matter how the game or season turns out, Nellie is faulted from the peanut gallery.

If that offends you, then so be it.

Seattle answered every run by Dallas.

At one point Lewis had a running start and an uncontested dunk.

I'm sure Nelson drew up that defensive play.

KG, rarely does this site ever blame the player without still including Nelson.

If you haven't noticed, the team started playing better ball when Don came on board.

I don't believe that is coincidence.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Not enough balance on this team. At one time this team had two point guards. Know we really have no point guards. We are deep at every position except the most important one. As for nellie and nash thing its cuban's fault. He should have offered him the max. The mavs would be title bound with nash without him we are a 6th seed.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:09 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not enough balance on this team. At one time this team had two point guards. Know we really have no point guards.
I dont remember having two point guards since NVE left

we had Nash and guys that wouldn't touch the floor.

and Nash backed up by Daniels

Now we have Darrell Armstrong, Jason Terry and Devin Harris.

WE might have a weaker PG position, but balance is certainly something we have in abundance.

And I still think signing Nash was a dumb idea in the long run.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
jibikao

6th seed? You sure about that? At this INCONSISTENT rate... Mavs will have to work really hard to maintain that 6th spot.

At this rate...

Spurs
T-Wolves
Kings
Suns
Sonics

Not too sure how Lakers is doing but you never know. At they know WHAT to do. They have Kobe who can create shots for every one. They just need to learn how to close out games.

Mavs? One game they look like elite and another game they look like mediocre at best. No offense flow.. one-on-one 50% of the time. One game they beat the 3rd best rebounding team by defense and another they got beaten on the board by a soso defensive team. What is Mavs' strength besides Dirk? Maybe I haven't watched Mavs enough this year but I think many people are just as confused as I am right now.

What is the DIRECTION of Mavs? I can't tell, can you? Sure, Dirk is the guy but the team has no flow at all besides Dirk's one-on-one and drawing fouls. This game is no FUN any more. The only fun we have this year so far is beating Heats and the showdown between Dirk and T-MAC.

TwoDeep3, when a team loses, the first to be blamed is the coach. Not the players. It's a sad reality but true. Any coach is the first to get blamed whether you like it or not. If Nelly can't stand the blame, step down. As simple as that. If he can't deliver result this year...let others do it. We have to stop wasting Dirk's peak performance.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 05:23 PM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: TwoDeep3
The results rarely matter here at shade-tree coach central.

No matter how the game or season turns out, Nellie is faulted from the peanut gallery.
Nonsense, and you know it.

Quote:
If that offends you, then so be it.
I'm not offended, I just know that you are capable of offering a basketball opinion. Instead, all you do is tell everyone else their opinion is invalid. Not only is that wrong, it's a waste of time.

Quote:
KG, rarely does this site ever blame the player without still including Nelson.
This site doesn't have a collective mind. It is a large group of Maverick fans with diverse opinions on every subject Mavericks-related. If you think everybody faults Nelson, go read the "Fire his worthless behind" thread. I think you'll find that a lot of people defend Nelson, after all.

Quote:
If you haven't noticed, the team started playing better ball when Don came on board.

I don't believe that is coincidence.
Nelson has received plenty of credit for helping bring the Mavericks back from the nether regions to respectability, but that doesn't give him a free pass for everything that he does. That seems to be your position.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #18
TwoDeep3

Now you are an expert on my opinion?

Hardly.

Maybe you should look around. I did offer my basketball opinion.

I just don't believe players are absolved of responsibility and all blame be foisted on the coach because the results aren't what you wanted.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:38 PM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Maybe you should look around. I did offer my basketball opinion.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. So why not do that about last night's game, instead of griping that everybody always rips on Nellie?

Quote:
I just don't believe players are absolved of responsibility and all blame be foisted on the coach because the results aren't what you wanted.
Who ever said that?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Last night was Nellies fault. I think at least. Of course, I hold it to Fin coming back, and Nellie trying to make sure he fits. How he didn't have a PG or Center in the game for most of the 4th, I couldn't believe; but typical Nellie -- how much offense can I generate.

Now ;
-----------------------
6th seed? You sure about that? At this INCONSISTENT rate... Mavs will have to work really hard to maintain that 6th spot.

At this rate...

Spurs
T-Wolves
Kings
Suns
Sonics
---------------------

Come on now. The Mavs just beat the Wolves, they killed the Kings. Both teams they match up with well. Phoenix and Seattle will give everyone trouble, but will fold in the playoffs (built like Dallas used to be). SA is the only team really outshines Dallas right now. I know, Dallas has been inconsistent -- but with injuries, that is too be expected. They aren't great, but are definately top 5 (at least if Nellie learns who to play and when).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #21
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

mavs are a first round team at best crrently

better coaching and better play from the players would help

but yesterday was some glimmer of hope imo. we played weel enough to keep it interesting.
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: I'm now on it

So mavs get beat by seattle in a very close game and it's nellie's "fault". The spurs get the hell beat out of them by seattle. Was it pop's fault.

Dang it gets tiring when fans just rant and can't give credit where credit is due. If nellie wasn't such an idiot the mavs would never lose. They'd have all-stars at every position. And shawn would be shaq. Man, try some reality.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote