Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dirk gives mavs a chance to win

Finley misses an open jumper, this sucks. We need shooters like Brent Barry on this team.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dirk gives mavs a chance to win

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Finley misses an open jumper, this sucks. We need shooters like Brent Barry on this team.
Fin's a good spot up shooter. He just missed the look. Yes, it was a good pass to the open man, but sometimes they don't fall. Put the ball in Dirk's hands and let him draw in the defense then kick it to fin for a wide open three. Hey, you couldn't have drawn it up much better.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Fin's a good spot up shooter. He just missed the look. Yes, it was a good pass to the open man, but sometimes they don't fall. Put the ball in Dirk's hands and let him draw in the defense then kick it to fin for a wide open three. Hey, you couldn't have drawn it up much better.

Murph, nothing against Fin Dog but at times I feel like he needs to hit those open jumpers(with game on the line). It is very hard to get open jumpers like those with game on the line. Maybe Dirk should have just gone for getting fouled or something like that.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Default RE: Dirk gives mavs a chance to win

dirk gave a great chance to win and we missed and thatbis the end result. It sucks.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:27 PM   #5
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

The Mavs arent an elite team now.

Elite teams have a point guard they actually play over a 2 guard on 1 ankle.

Or elite teams dont have a point guard who just dribble between his legs at the 3 point line extended until the shot clock hits 9.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Elite teams also start their best point guard rather than leave him on the bench for a so called "spark". Fin missed that shot today. That's a look that I believe 8/10 Fin will hit. I still can't forgive them for not giving him any touches except that shot. That happens alot with this team. He'll go awhile without touching the ball but then when a minute is left on the clock they want him to win the game for them. I'm not giving excuses for Fin. I'm not even going to give that the Mavs forced him to go cold excuse. Fin's got to hit that shot.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:32 PM   #7
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Open 3s aren't necessarily automatic for anyone. Finley had a great game... he kept us in the game during the 3rd quarter when it could have been an easy blowout.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Just out of curiousity- do any of you ever remember Fin hitting a huge shot with time winding down? I'm racking my brain and can't seem to remember one.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:34 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The goal in a late-game situation is to get a good look. It seems to me like the Mavs did just that.

As for why there wasn't a PG on the floor down the stretch, well...

Old 12-09-2004, 11:38 PM   #10
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
Just out of curiousity- do any of you ever remember Fin hitting a huge shot with time winding down? I'm racking my brain and can't seem to remember one.

Didn't he do it two times in San Antonio?

1996-2005
Old 12-09-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

2 months ago I never thought I would say this. But I am to the point now where I want us to trade for Kidd. No Mourning, only Kidd.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

I think Armstrong or Terry would have been a better fit to hit a shot like that than Finley. Not that finley cannot hit it but finley is a player who needs touches and is a better shooter off the dribble and players like Armstrong are shooters.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
samoan-maverick

samoan-maverick is on a distinguished road

but we havent seen Terry start.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 PM   #14
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's had his share, but not so much recently. He had the go ahead layup against the Spurs the year before last in the first game of the playoffs. There was less than 30 seconds left and we won the game. Remember how he blew by Stephen Jackson and extended over Robinson?

I'm not sure if you're asking for last shot made or just a clutch shot with under a minute left or so.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
He's had his share, but not so much recently. He had the go ahead layup against the Spurs the year before last in the first game of the playoffs. There was less than 30 seconds left and we won the game. Remember how he blew by Stephen Jackson and extended over Robinson?

I'm not sure if you're asking for last shot made or just a clutch shot with under a minute left or so.

He also had that one I believe he hit a 3 for a game winner at San Antonio.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 AM   #16
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

The 3 at San Antonio was Nash. If it's the game I'm thinking of...something like 126-123.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
The 3 at San Antonio was Nash. If it's the game I'm thinking of...something like 126-123.
I'm not sure what game your thinking of, but fin did have a game winner against the spurs a LONG time ago. I'm thinking back in 2001-2002 season perhaps.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a fine shot by finley, just didn't fall. I have no issue with it, straight on three that just hit the iron..Probably another inch and it's a swish.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 AM   #19
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

The only problem I had with Finley tonight is that he drove to the top of the key a couple of times and forced a shot. The shot wasn't the problem but the fact that Dirk was wide open behind him because Dirk's man had turned to help against Finley's drive.

Finley has GOT to start looking for Dirk first before he looks for his own shot. Hell, even Stackhouse looks for Dirk first.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:31 AM   #20
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

I remember Fin hitting one against Denver a few years back to send it into OT and than dunking over the whole Denver team to seal the deal in OT.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:54 AM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as Finley being clutch...I'm sure that if we dug around deep enough, we'd find a long laundry list of clutch shots in the final 20-30 seconds or so that either gave the Mavs the lead or tied the game. For the most part, we'd have to go back a couple of years because I think Dirk and Toine were the only ones to hit more than 1 of those shots for the Mavs last year.

But, I have no reservations about Fin taking a wide open look to give the Mavs the lead. Dirk and Fin made the right decisions on that play.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:05 AM   #22
doggnutz

doggnutz is on a distinguished road

Finely does need to look for Dirk first. This game is not blamed on Finely though. The Mavs are just hurt most of the time. Hell Dirk before the under cut was limping around after he tweaked his ankle. Daniels was clearly playing hurt, hell he hasn't been healthy all season. Finely just came back from a month off from being hurt. I know other teams have hurt players but usually it's just one or two and everybody else is completely healthy. We have Dirk, Finely, Terry and Daniels. Also didn't Howard tweak his ham a month ago. I like this Mavs team even with the injuries they have been in every game except the Piston game.
doggnutz is offline   Reply With Quote