Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 AM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fire his worthless behind

"When I get home I'm gonna punch yo momma in da mouth."--Sherriff Buford T. Justice

That is what I feel like doing with Nellie. He is a worthless piece of crap. He has 3 frickin' point guards, and 3 frickin' centers. And he chooses to use none of them against a team that has no interior presence and likes to offensive rebound.

And he would rather use a 6'6" shooting guard as the point gurd because he wants that shooting guard to post up.

The Mavs are in dire need of a coach who isn't afraid of playing the team straight up... instead of trying to match up to the other team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Fire his worthless behind

Our best lineup tonight was the one Nellie brought out there. My only flaw is that we atleast needed a center out there but hell who was Damp gonna guard Rashard Lewis or Radmanovic? All i'm saying is that I doubt we win this game with a lineup of Dampier, Dirk, Fin Josh and Terry out there on the court. Tonight just wasn't our night. If we win this game Nellie looks like a genius.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fire his worthless behind

Quote:
If we win this game Nellie looks like a genius.
No. He looks like he was saved from disaster.

Where is Dooby's quote? I need Dooby's quote!

Nelson didn't want to coach tonight. He wanted to be able to whine afterwards.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

I am very ok with a coaching change.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:35 AM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Lol a coaching change is not gonna make us any better than we are right now. Maybe i'm a bit biased because at the beginning of the season I expected us to be a .500 team for the first couple of months of the season. Nellie has frustrated me these last couple of games but he isn't getting the best out of these players. Stack and Terry can contribute alot more to the table than what they are bringing.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 12:38 AM   #6
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Nellie blows. 4 SGs & Dirk to finish the game. Pitiful.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 AM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you FFM.. Fans just can't take getting their asses beat by a better team tonight.

I am NOT happy with the way terry runs the team. He doesn't move the ball like he should and it looks like he doesn't play the pick and roll well. It's hard to throw it in to damp because he's so inconsistent. I think armstrong is a better pure point than terry but he doesn't have a cluie about half of the plays. So nellie went with the guys who I thought gave him the best chance. He had damp out there but was getting torched. Damp and dirk were playing their little guard at the 3pt line for goodness sakes after a switch. When the didn't switch they stuck a three. Ridanove I think was also 5-7 or something, pretty unconsciious.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

The rotation was fine. It took a few trys to get a mix on the floor that could defend but overall I don't have a problem Nelson. If Jason Terry played better he would play more. For some reason he's tentative right now ... and he doesn't always know where he's supposed to be on the floor. I like what he brings when he's getting to the bucket & scoring ... but when he dribbles without purpose it's annoying.

The Mavs lost because they were severely outplayed in the first half by a squad that knows what it wants to do. The Sonics run & shoot. They drive when they're overplayed. They're physical at the PF. They rebound missed jumpers. The create tension with unusual matchups and they make you worry about the three.

Too often I'm not sure what these Mavs want to do.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I'm with you FFM.. Fans just can't take getting their asses beat by a better team tonight.

I am NOT happy with the way terry runs the team. He doesn't move the ball like he should and it looks like he doesn't play the pick and roll well. It's hard to throw it in to damp because he's so inconsistent. I think armstrong is a better pure point than terry but he doesn't have a cluie about half of the plays. So nellie went with the guys who I thought gave him the best chance. He had damp out there but was getting torched. Damp and dirk were playing their little guard at the 3pt line for goodness sakes after a switch. When the didn't switch they stuck a three. Ridanove I think was also 5-7 or something, pretty unconsciious.
Exactly. Nellie could've coached his ass off tonight and we still would've lost. I'm not sure if everyone wants to realize how good this team really is. As of right now they are mediocre. A mediocre team that doesn't really have an identity and they are struggling to find it and it doesn't make things better we have had injuries plagging us. What people also forget is that we lead this game by 1 in the fourth. We were just out played.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they are yet either V. As you mention, it's not like terry is lighting it up as the PG, harris was wacky as heck and armstrong has what 5 days with these guys. Only consolation is that armstrong DOES seem to be more assertive and sure of what he wants to do out there, he just doesn't quite know what that is yet.

If we can stay around 5th or 6th in the playoffs, I think we'll have figured much of it out by then and be right there competing. EVeryone always has bitched about no defense and no center. Well we HAVE defense and we HAVE a center (unless you are talking to 'ape) so this team will take a while to get it together offensively.

Having fin back will help a lot, getting armstrong another month will as well. Damp...we'll see.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #11
Bayliss

Quote:
Because too often the coach doesn't have a clue.

Instead of having a set rotation... instead of having a gameplan... instead of having consistency... Nelson wings it.

And it bit the Mavs tonight. (Everyone points to his career record as being a great coach... but what has he accomplished as a coach besides a bunch of wins against mediocre competition?)
Old 12-10-2004, 12:56 AM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
Because too often the coach doesn't have a clue.

Instead of having a set rotation... instead of having a gameplan... instead of having consistency... Nelson wings it.

And it bit the Mavs tonight. (Everyone points to his career record as being a great coach... but what has he accomplished as a coach besides a bunch of wins against mediocre competition?)
You don't think that's what Nellies trying to do? You think he's starting DA to get back at Harris and Terry? He's trying to find a set rotation he just hasn't found it yet. I wish he'd go for a linenup with Damp, Dirk, Josh, Fin and Terry just to see what the result is like. I think he will go for that lineup sometime down the line.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

I'm sure that he had a gameplan but the sonics had a little something to do with changing it. That "set rotation" got it's ass handed to it to the tune of 15 to 18 points down as I recall. I guess he could have stuck with it, until they were 30 down.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:58 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

He's pretty close to that lineup just without terry ffm. That's what he started with. But I have to admit, terry has underwhelmed me greatly at getting into the offense. He's okay in transition but running a set offense he really seems to struggle.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:04 AM   #15
Bayliss

Quote:
You don't think that's what Nellies trying to do? You think he's starting DA to get back at Harris and Terry? He's trying to find a set rotation he just hasn't found it yet.
Doesn't take 20+ years of coaching and 4 teams to find a set rotation.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

How about this one....

Harris, Finley, Howard, Dirk, Damp...

Oh Finley gets hurt after 5 games for a month.
Harris starts to suck, then terry begins to get most of the minutes. Oh terry goes out with an ankle that takes about 2-3 weeks to get right.
Harris sucks some more.
Damp gets hurt and is limited for about 2 weeks.

Yup, dummy nellie. Why can't he just stick with harris, finley, howard, dirk, damp.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:44 AM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Critisizm on Nellie is short-sighted as always.

It sure helps alot to give a team with all new guys a new coach. Will definately help winning games, because they are not ungelled enough yet, so we better change the coach aswell.

I just don´t see why peeps were willing to swallow "a period of mediocrisy" to start a season AT THE BEGINNING of the season "if only Walker leaves / we get a starting C / we get young guys Rooks in", but after some losses cry for everything to be changed again, especially given all the injuries we already had. Patience guys.

Take a look at Houston. Should they can Jeff van G aswell?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:38 AM   #18
Bayliss

Quote:
Yes.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:50 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not advocating running Nellie off at this point. However, leaving Daniels at the point for so long was inexcusable. He is a mistake waiting to happen.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #20
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

My real problem with Nellie last night was the "Big" lineup he had out there in the 3rd Q. Damp and Henderson had no idea where to go...they usually wound up double screening the PG...it was ugly.
I also wonder why he was so slow to realise that they were consantly running the P&R with Allen and Lewis and that Lewis was killing the 6'6 guys that switched on him...it also would have been nice to have someone cover Radmanovich at the 3 point line once in a while...after hitting 4 I think he had proved he could drill that shot.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #21
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
Yes.
In a way, Nellie got out-Nellie'd tonight. For the past three years he has been abusing teams who choose to play a traditional center because such teams couldn't cover all of the Mavs' three-point shooters. Against the Sonics, people on this board are calling for Damp to have gotten more time against guys that he couldn't have guarded on the perimeter, and the Sonics have proven over 20 games that they will hit a *high* percentage of uncontested three point shots. Guess what? The Sonics again hit a number of threes tonight, even though Nellie tried to match up with them from a *defensive* perspective (and not out-manuever the other team using the Mavs' offense).

Yes, the PG situation is a bit dire right now, but what did Mavs' fans truly expect. Nash is a top-tier PG in the league, and none of the guys brought in to replace him measure up just yet. Struggles will be had, and maybe Nellie is to blame, but it's going to take these PGs a bit more than 20 games to learn and master what Nash had many years to figure out. The Mavs will make the playoffs, and might have to open up on the road, but if they can just get everyone healthy and gel just a bit, they have a player in Dirk that can carry a team in the playoffs, so no reason to fret just yet. Not to mention the fact that there aren't many teams like the Sonics that rely so heavily on the outside shot --- the Mavs will be fine against the traditional teams in the Western conference, and might just have to rely on the Sonics cooling off a bit should these two teams meet in the playoffs for a seven-game series.

Getting back to the original quote (and slightly off topic), though, yes, JVG should be concerned as the Houston coach. His offense is much, much too basic to take advantage of all of Yao's talents. Think Yao's assists are dropping because he has forgotten how to pass? Nope, he just doesn't have the right offense structured around him to allow him to use all of his skills to the fullest. While a portion of that problem is personnel, another portion of it is coaching, and that is JVG's fault. The guy has never, ever shown the propensity for utilizing the talents he has at his disposal at the moment. He has always been content to allow guys to play one on one on offense as long as they commit to defensive intensity. Nothing terribly wrong with that, other than the fact that he has the next dominant center in the NBA sitting in his lap, and he isn't using him to the fullest.

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:52 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, the PG situation is dire at the moment. It's even worse when the coach decides to go with the worst option at the PG spot in Marquis Daniels down the stretch.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:58 AM   #23
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Damp and dirk were playing their little guard at the 3pt line for goodness sakes after a switch. When the didn't switch they stuck a three.
Finally, somebody who actually saw what was happening in the game. Damp couldn't play because there was nobody he could guard--the Sonics were all draining the threes. Bradley would have been worse. The Mavs big line up got hosed. Couldn't cover the threes and couldn't control the defensive boards.

If you didn't switch the pick and roll, then they pulled up and drained a three--gives you an idea how frustrating it was to play the Mavs two years ago. At least with Dirk and the four 6'6" to 6'7" guys you could switch everything. Dirk, even with the bad ankle, did a great job when switched on Allen or Ridenour.

Neither Terry (who just yoyos the ball in one place for ten seconds) nor Armstrong (who doesn't know the plays) was much help on offense--and they had no chance when they had to switch on a bigger guy. The way the Sonics shoot, you have to honor them at the three-point line. If Lewis got a guard on him, then he just posted inside and help was too far away to get there.

The defense was great in the second half. We still don't have much offense, except for what Dirk creates, and as hurt as he was, I don't know how he did so much. Still, Finley got a clear look at a three to put the Mavs ahead and just missed it (BTW: Dirk didn't have anything on the drive, he made the right play).

When we play the Sonics again, if Dirk is well, Daniels well, Finley well, and Armstrong has had time to learn the plays, then I think we beat them. Or even if they miss just a few shots.

Some of you want to have it both ways. You want the team to play run 'n gun like '02-'03 and want Dallas to play defense and half-court offense like the Spurs. Give this team time (like this year, and next year, and if it isn't playing better look at making changes in the summer of 2006). It'll probably take until next year some time for the offense to become really effective (although we can hope it will begin to be better sooner than that).

These kinds of difficulties are what happens when you want to give up a style that has made you an elite team in order to try a different style that you believe will make you a champion.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think that there's alot of people complaining today about the centers not logging enough time. It's just unfortunate that the Mavs didn't do a better job on the glass. Damp was continuously beaten out on rebounding position, Dirk only managed 7, and the Mavs got little help from any of the smaller guys.

That along with Daniels playing the point so damned much are my two biggest complaints. One of them is on the players and one is on the coach.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:15 AM   #25
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Daniels played so much point because he had a better chance of matching up on defense after a switch.

Terry, Armstrong and Daniels all sucked on offense, so I'm not sure it mattered who you played. Heck, if the Mavs had a better defensive choice, they should have played whoever that was, let Fin walk the ball up and throw it to Dirk at the elbow.

That's the only effective offensive play we've got right now, anyway.

The only problem I have with what they did was too much trying to post Daniels up. Still, the truth is that if Dirk hadn't been hurting so bad, then he would have waived Daniels off and taken the ball one-on-one from the wing.

Hurt as he was, you can't ask Dirk to take the ball one-on-one on every play. Hava a heart.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:31 AM   #26
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I think some of you Nellie appologists are missing the forest for the trees. It's not just what he's doing within a single given game. If you look at how:

- he's hyped up a rookie PG and starts him over a seasoned vet in his prime, only to turn around and pull the hook everytime the kid misses a shot or commits a foul. And now barely 20 games into the season, his starting PG at the start of the season, rookie of the month in the WC, isn't good enough to play a single minute for 2 games in a row?! That's no way to treat a rookie much less a #5 pick who everyone thought was the most NBA ready of all PGs entering the draft.

- he starts a 36yr old has-been who's barely with the team for a couple days over a seasoned veteran in his prime and one who has proven he could get 7+ assists on a poor offensive team.

- he's hyped up MBenga, stating the guy is a dominant force that can't be kept on the bench. He officially elevated him to backup Damp and now can't give him a minute or two over 20 games. A guy who's 7', who's faster than anyone else in the team and supposedly has the biggest leap can't buy a minute regardless of the game situations. Why play with players' minds and confidence when you aren't sure of their game.

- he's made asinine comments on the playing time of JHo to only backtrack very soon

- he still plays small ball with Dirk or hendu at center for long stretches when we have 4 legitimate centers of all different styles stagnating on the bench.

- he's constantly looking to get thrown out of the games just 'cuz his mind isn't into it.

- he's a self-proclaimed alcoholic

- he's a well-acknowledged pessimist who thinks we're an underdog to every team we get to play

- he's the GM in title, yet for the past 2-3 years off-loaded all personnel matters to his son

- he's the coach in title, yet allows AJ to run the practices and sometimes run the games for him.

Isn't it obvious that Nellie *was* a great coach but presently he's just a has-been with a short-timer's disease. He's looking for ways to get fired, collect his check and go relax on the Maui beaches. We need a more passionate and energetic coach with some common sense. The talent level purchased by $90m/annum of Cuban's money is second to none. If we are 13-8 today, it's "in spite of" Nellie and not because of him!!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #27
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M

- he's a well-acknowledged pessimist who thinks we're an underdog to every team we get to play
How can you expect to win games with a loser at the helm?

Replace him with the Lil' General. ASAP
Old 12-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #28
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

2M - I guess you´re missing alot of points aswell.

Nellie ALWAYS hypes rooks and first year players, then tries to both increase and take off the pressure over the season. He did that night in night out, and it worked pretty fine, as you might see if you take a closer look at how Dirk, Nash, Najera, Howard, Marquis, ... have developed. Nellie is a genious in taking his players off the frontline to divert the gunfire on himself.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #29
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

About the team: there´s an important thing going on, and that´s stuff which takes time. It´s a complete change of Offensive Sets. Nellie used to have a guy out there who knew the franchies offense better than any other player knew the offense of his club in any other franchise. Now he has guys not at all beeing familiar with how to behave, how to act, and though the Mavs run a rather short amount of offensive sets, they are not at all used to all the small things and variations between the ways those sets are executed. Nellies system is alot about clever decision making. And you cannot make a clever decision night in night out without feeling comfortable.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #30
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

I think the main reason he went with Quis at the point - beyond the fact that he used to be the better defender coming of the screen and switches - was that Quis should have a bit more experience than any of our other PG´s making that decision. He was there last year, and he should have a bit more natural approach in how to handle it.

Terry is a nice transition guy, and Darrell Armstrong is prolly the guy with the best pure Point skills on our current roster (hell, Devin is RAW, he needs time, ON and OFF the field, and he´ll get it, just don´t demand too much from him yet), so I very much see why Nellie is playing DA starting. If the Mavs can finally get some time without too many injuries to key players together, things will start to develop. If they don´t work better, you might call for Nellies head. But now?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #31
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

21 games into the season Mavs is STILL trying to figure out the rotation. Sounds like last year to me.

You can argue that last year is a "TEST", ok...they failed the test and team got screwed. Dirk was playing under-shadow and the team made no improvement at all.

This year they got rid of Nash and brought in more defense. Dampier. Sounds good? Nah... Dampier only plays 28mins last night because he is not familiar with the system. How can you become familiar if you don't have a chance to play?

You see, Spurs and T-Wolves usually have bad losing streaks because the coach want the players to shoot and get more comfortable with their shots. Even if the shots don't go in, it doesn't matter because the players will figure it out themselves. Not with Mavs. The coach figures it out for the players. Players don't play at their max. potential because they are not comfortable with their roles. The lineup changes on daily basis. The go-to guy changes on daily basis. The mismatches were created on daily basis. You JUST CAN'T DO THAT.

If Dirk has a bad shooting night, let him have it. He has to keep shooting and get more comfortable with it. Dirk is the kind of guy that will get upset easily. Without Nash, Dirk has to figure things out himself and he has to grow from MISTAKES. Mistakes and losses make a team stronger in the end but not without a set rotation. Terry looks as confused as ever. He wasn't that bad in Hawks. He knew what he wanted to do. If Terry's Nick Van-style is not suitable for Mavs, why did they even sign him in the first place? If Nelson thinks Harris "was" great why didn't he let him play more and let him grow before the playoff comes? No No No, the solution is to sign ANOTHER freaking PG to make the matter more complicated.

I say...start Harris or Armstrong and KEEP it that way until they are more comfortable with the team. If Mavs is going to lose anyway, they should at least train Harris this year and prepare for next year.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:57 AM   #32
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

V2M, you took the words out of my mouth. I especially like the part where we need a more passionate coach. On the same note, I like Daniels and Howard but I think there calm and collected demeanor is too calm for me. Aside from Fin and sometimes Dirk, the Mavs have no attitude. I don't see anyone getting fired up or getting pissed. Back to Nellie, the guy looks like he already in retirement. I can't understand why he is still the coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M
I think some of you Nellie appologists are missing the forest for the trees. It's not just what he's doing within a single given game. If you look at how:

- he's hyped up a rookie PG and starts him over a seasoned vet in his prime, only to turn around and pull the hook everytime the kid misses a shot or commits a foul. And now barely 20 games into the season, his starting PG at the start of the season, rookie of the month in the WC, isn't good enough to play a single minute for 2 games in a row?! That's no way to treat a rookie much less a #5 pick who everyone thought was the most NBA ready of all PGs entering the draft.

- he starts a 36yr old has-been who's barely with the team for a couple days over a seasoned veteran in his prime and one who has proven he could get 7+ assists on a poor offensive team.

- he's hyped up MBenga, stating the guy is a dominant force that can't be kept on the bench. He officially elevated him to backup Damp and now can't give him a minute or two over 20 games. A guy who's 7', who's faster than anyone else in the team and supposedly has the biggest leap can't buy a minute regardless of the game situations. Why play with players' minds and confidence when you aren't sure of their game.

- he's made asinine comments on the playing time of JHo to only backtrack very soon

- he still plays small ball with Dirk or hendu at center for long stretches when we have 4 legitimate centers of all different styles stagnating on the bench.

- he's constantly looking to get thrown out of the games just 'cuz his mind isn't into it.

- he's a self-proclaimed alcoholic

- he's the GM in title, yet for the past 2-3 years off-loaded all personnel matters to his son

- he's the coach in title, yet allows AJ to run the practices and sometimes run the games for him.

Isn't it obvious that Nellie *was* a great coach but presently he's just a has-been with a short-timer's disease. He's looking for ways to get fired, collect his check and go relax on the Maui beaches. We need a more passionate and energetic coach with some common sense. The talent level purchased by $90m/annum of Cuban's money is second to none. If we are 13-8 today, it's "in spite of" Nellie and not because of him!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #33
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

I am tired of Nellie and his so called "complicated" playbook. How does Cuban being a business man not see that Nellie is the weak link here? All last night I was screaming for the mavs to give the ball to dirk and let him do his thing! I would rather lose a game going thru Dirk than letting Mr. Rust shoot threes all night. Finely is just taking shots out of Dirks hands. It is time for Nellie and Finley to quit. Finley reminds me of an older version of "Crackhouse"

Pass the ball to Dirk every time. Let the other teams know that its going to Dirk. Let them try to stop him. That will open the court up for Damp, Howard, Daniels and Harris. Which by the way should be our starting line up every night.

Play Harris now! This hitting a wall garbage is Nellie Crap! Leave Damp in there the whole game. Feed Dirk. End of rant.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 PM   #34
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
he's hyped up a rookie PG and starts him over a seasoned vet in his prime, only to turn around and pull the hook everytime the kid misses a shot or commits a foul. And now barely 20 games into the season, his starting PG at the start of the season, rookie of the month in the WC, isn't good enough to play a single minute for 2 games in a row?! That's no way to treat a rookie much less a #5 pick who everyone thought was the most NBA ready of all PGs entering the draft.
What is Nellie suppose to do? Bash the kid? Then guess what you would be complaining that Nellie never gives his players props. As far as not treating your #5 overall pick well I guess one of the best coaches in the game is an idiot because he doesn't even allow his #2 overall rookie to get any pt unless it's a blowout. The Mavs have no time to wait for Harris to develop. THey have the privelage of sitting Harris and let him look on while he somewhat gets his game together. DA and Terry gives us the better chance to win right now. You guys think because we damn near got DA for free that he's not a good player. This guy can play once he starts to understand our system. He's been on a Eastern Conference team most of his career so the transition isn't going to be that easy.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #35
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Razor
I am tired of Nellie and his so called "complicated" playbook. How does Cuban being a business man not see that Nellie is the weak link here? All last night I was screaming for the mavs to give the ball to dirk and let him do his thing! I would rather lose a game going thru Dirk than letting Mr. Rust shoot threes all night. Finely is just taking shots out of Dirks hands. It is time for Nellie and Finley to quit. Finley reminds me of an older version of "Crackhouse"

Pass the ball to Dirk every time. Let the other teams know that its going to Dirk. Let them try to stop him. That will open the court up for Damp, Howard, Daniels and Harris. Which by the way should be our starting line up every night.

Play Harris now! This hitting a wall garbage is Nellie Crap! Leave Damp in there the whole game. Feed Dirk. End of rant.
Fin took shots from Dirk? Get the hell out of here with that nonsense. Someone always wants to blame something on Finley. How many shots did Fin take in the 4th quarter? 1? That's not Finley taking shots away from Dirk.

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 01:50 PM   #36
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

I knew when Nellie was crazy since when he wanted the coach of the year award when greg popavich won.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:51 PM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
"If that situation comes up again, I'll take that shot every time," said Finley, who scored 19 points but was kept off the scoresheet in the final period. "That might have been my first and only shot in the fourth quarter. Maybe I was a little rusty. I had a great pass from Dirk (Nowitzki) and a great look at the basket. I just came up short."

1996-2005
Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 PM   #38
jibikao

Both Finely and Dirk took 17 shots.

Dirk should take on average 20+ if not more. He has better % and he can draw fouls MUCH easier than Finely.

Dirk should have the ball all the time to draw double team and then Finely can shoot.

Dirk may be well guarded last night so he passed the ball out.

Stackhouse was horrible for a while but he did have an awesome 3pt in the end.

Overall, Nelson should retire. Let AJ take over or his son. I don't care.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #39
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

someone Should Fire this whole loser team.
Dallas mavs are so much a loser.
nellie had traded walker,jamison,nash,fortson for Dampier and a bunch of shit and thinking that he will win nba title.
Certainly atroesious moves bad
bad moves.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #40
jibikao

At this point, I don't really care who is our real PG.

Just pick ONE and let him figure out how Point the team. If he thinks Daniel is better, then let him do it and do more so he gets used to it.

I personally prefer Harris because he has more potential than all the other 3.

Terry should be a shooting guard. He is just like Nick Van in my opinion.

Armstrong is alright but he is getting old.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com