Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default When guvment goes mad.

Dang...how little common sense does someone have to have here.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/549578.html
Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- A Texas woman who said she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers in order to board an airplane called Thursday for an apology by federal security agents and a civil rights investigation.

"I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Mandi Hamlin said at a news conference. "My experience with TSA was a nightmare I had to endure. No one deserves to be treated this way."

Hamlin, 37, said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on Feb. 24 when she was scanned by a Transportation Security Administration agent after passing through a larger metal detector without problems.

The female TSA agent used a handheld detector that beeped when it passed in front of Hamlin's chest, the Dallas-area resident said.

Hamlin said she told the woman she was wearing nipple piercings. The agent then called over her male colleagues, one of whom said she would have to remove the jewelry, Hamlin said.

Hamlin said she could not remove them and asked whether she could instead display her pierced breasts in private to the female agent. But several other male officers told her she could not board her flight until the jewelry was out, she said.

She was taken behind a curtain and managed to remove one bar-shaped piercing but had trouble with the second, a ring.

"Still crying, she informed the TSA officer that she could not remove it without the help of pliers, and the officer gave a pair to her," said Hamlin's attorney, Gloria Allred, reading from a letter she sent Thursday to the director of the TSA's Office of Civil Rights and Liberties. Allred is a well-known Los Angeles lawyer who often represents high-profile claims.

Applying pliers to the torso of a mannequin that had a peach-colored bra with the rings on it, Hamlin showed reporters at the news conference how she took off the second ring.

She said she heard male TSA agents snickering as she took out the ring. She was scanned again and was allowed to board even though she still was wearing a belly button ring.

"After nipple rings are inserted, the skin can often heal around the piercing, and the rings can be extremely difficult and painful to remove," Allred said in the letter.

TSA officials said they are investigating to see whether its policies were followed.

"Our security officers are well-trained to screen individuals with body piercings in sensitive areas with dignity and respect while ensuring a high level of security," the agency said in a statement.

On its Web site, the TSA warns that passengers "may be additionally screened because of hidden items such as body piercings, which alarmed the metal detector."

"If you are selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to a pat-down search," the site says.

Hamlin would have accepted a "pat-down" had it been offered, Allred said.

If an alarm does sound, "until that is resolved, we're not going to let them go through the checkpoint, no matter what they're wearing or where they're wearing it," said TSA spokesman Dwayne Baird in Salt Lake City.

People routinely pass through security wearing wedding rings without problems, and it might take a larger bit of metal to trigger an alarm, Baird said.

Hamlin filed a complaint, but the TSA's customer service manager at the Lubbock airport concluded the screening was handled properly, Allred said.

Hamlin wants an apology from the TSA and an investigation by the agency's civil rights office.

Allred said she might consider legal action if the TSA does not apologize.

Hamlin was publicly humiliated and has "undergone an enormous amount of physical pain to have the nipple rings reinserted" because of scar tissue, Allred said.

Hamlin said her piercings have never set off an airport metal detector.

"The conduct of TSA was cruel and unnecessary," Allred wrote. "The last time that I checked a nipple was not a dangerous weapon."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely. How much common sense does it take to not pierce your private parts?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That's no-exception policies for you. Well, it did what it was supposed to do there, make retards follow through with completely unnecessary, humiliating, easily-and-safely avoidable procedure.

At the same time, but in a somewhat irrelevant note, I agree with chum. While it's none of my business...... ah, whatever tickles your pickle, I guess. Or your nipple.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

you gotta go with the pat down come onnnnnnn TSA dudes
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by me770706
you gotta go with the pat down come onnnnnnn TSA dudes
I gotta imagine she wasn't the hottest chick in the airport, if they turned down a pat-down. Seriously, have you seen these TSA guys?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

sucks for here. i bet she is NOT hot.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad this hasn't happened to me.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

All you pervs can see her picture here
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

How can you not side with her now after seeing that picture? Those things need to be kept locked behind whatever they can be kept locked behind for as long as humanly possible. That was a crime that TSA endangered the surrounding citizens going through security that may or may not have had the unfortunate opportunity to catch a glimpse of this unfolding.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

As a United States citizen, you are free to do whatever you like to your body.

That being said...

Don't get your nipple pierced, you freaking weird lady!!!! And you won't have this problem! That is gross. You want to be weird and different, well guess what lady, that's what you get. You get weird and different in the TSA line.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i think next time i get really lonely that i'm just going to have something delicate pierced and then go to the airport to see if i can get a cheap thrill.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #12
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
I was disappointed that this was not a Rick Roll.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping

i wish her attorney Gloria Allred, had the nipple ring instead.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I was disappointed that this was not a Rick Roll.

i know right? i was hoping for it too. haha
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #15
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't some British guy go through wearing a functioning, engaged vibrator in his pants? He claimed it was a medical device.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

^lol.

Get your facts straight. Sike isn't British.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Didn't some British guy go through wearing a functioning, engaged vibrator in his pants? He claimed it was a medical device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
^lol.

Get your facts straight. Sike isn't British.
So..... sike is engaged to a vibrator then?

How odd...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #18
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
So..... sike is engaged to a vibrator then?

How odd...

I started to say "turned on" but that sounded weird too.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So wait...it was a British vibrator?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr

yeah i've thought of that before.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #21
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Default A more serious instance of "guvment" gone wild.

Widow trying to stay in U.S. after husband was killed in Iraq
By Scott Richardson

BLOOMINGTON — Todd Engstrom, who brought his bride, Diana, to the United States from Kosovo, thought they’d have all the time in the world together when they married near Springfield in 2003.

But Todd Engstrom was killed just nine months later when a rocket propelled grenade struck his vehicle in Iraq where he worked as a private security contractor with the U.S. military.

Since then, his 28-year-old widow, who lives in Bloomington, has not known from one day to the next if she will be deported due to “the widow penalty.”

Her husband died before immigration officials acted on her application for a green card. In the case of administrative delay, a foreign-born spouse of an American citizen cannot seek permanent U.S. residency unless the marriage lasted at least two years. The time limit is meant to prevent sham marriages. But, in the case of the death of a spouse, the government automatically terminates the application without allowing the survivor to prove the marriage was bona fide.

“I try to believe that everything will be fine because it’s a lot better to believe that way,” said Engstrom, who speaks perfect English and works as a sales floor supervisor at a women’s clothing store in the Twin Cities. “I guess you have to be in the state of mind you are either going to be sane or you are going to go crazy. … But if you wake up every morning and think about it, you are not going to have a good day.”

Engstrom would be allowed to stay in the U.S. if her husband had been a member of the U.S. military when he died, said her lawyer, Brent Renison, who is the attorney for more than 100 other widows and widowers who entered the United States legally from 50 countries yet face deportation following the deaths of their American spouses.

Some died in accidents. Some died of natural causes. Renison knows of one other widow of a U.S. security contractor killed in Iraq. About 20 children are involved.

According to Renison, U.S. officials stretched the exception for foreign-born nationals who are married to soldiers killed in Iraq to include the widow of a private security contractor killed during the recent hostilities because he had served in the U.S. military during the first Gulf War.

A recent change in U.S. law also permits spouses of Iraqis killed helping Americans in the war to apply for permanent residency in America, added Renison, an immigration attorney in the Portland, Ore. area, who is working on widow penalty cases for free. But no action has been taken to extend the same privilege to foreign spouses of private security forces killed while working under contract to America, he said.

“If Todd were Iraqi, she could stay,” Renison said. “The bottom line is they are making exceptions left and right, but the problem remains. It is a systematic problem.”

Class-action lawsuit

A hearing on whether a class-action lawsuit on behalf of the foreign-born survivors will be allowed to proceed is scheduled for Monday in federal district court in Los Angeles. Renison is hopeful. Two other district courts have ruled in favor of widows asking to stay.

Immigration officials are appealing one of the federal court rulings, but they haven’t announced their intentions with regards to the other. They oppose the class-action lawsuit. Despite repeated attempts, they could not be reached for comment.

Renison is less optimistic about the chances for legislation on Engstrom’s personal behalf that Illinois’ two Democratic senators, Dick Durbin and presidential contender Barack Obama, have introduced in Congress. So-called limited-purpose bills are usually unsuccessful, Renison said, and congressional attempts to pass broader exceptions for foreign-born widows have been caught up in the national controversy surrounding illegal immigrants.

Meanwhile, Engstrom remains upbeat.

“I do take hope. Honestly I never lost hope to begin with,” she said.

Meeting in Kosovo

Engstrom met her future husband while he served as a commander of a United Nations special forces group in Kosovo in 2002. His job was to supervise peace-keeping forces and protect dignitaries. She worked in the same building as a U.S. interpreter. Growing up, she learned to speak English by comparing the dialogue of American movies to the subtitles written in her native Albanian. She also speaks Serbian.

The couple dated for two years. Todd eventually followed the custom of her country and sent a go-between to ask her journalist father for her hand in marriage.

“He was so worried,” she said, laughing. “I said, ‘Don’t be.’ My parents liked him a lot.”

Todd wanted to marry in America with his family there, so they traveled to Athens near Springfield where the ceremony was performed at his parents’ home on Dec. 29, 2003. The date also is the birthday of his son from his first marriage, Dalton, a high school freshman. He lives with his mother in Tennessee.

The Engstroms had just three weeks together before Todd was scheduled to go to Iraq. The couple took time in the midst of their brief honeymoon to fill out the paperwork to obtain Diana’s green card that would permit her to start the process toward permanent residency. Only one step remained: Immigration officials needed to schedule a time to interview the couple.

Renison noted the time needed to obtain a green card varies from place to place depending on backlog. Some foreign-born spouses receive their cards in as little as three months. Renison knows of others who were told not to contact immigration officials again for more than two years after they applied.

Todd went to Iraq in January 2004. He returned home for a three-week leave the following April.

“We said ‘goodbye’ and he went back. It was the normal, ‘OK, see you later,’” said Diana, who lived with her in-laws while her husband was in Iraq.

“She is an upstanding young girl,” said her father-in-law, Ron. “She is part of the family, and always will be.”

Todd was killed on Sept. 14, 2004. He was dead by the time immigration officials notified Engstrom the interview was set.

Facing deportation

If she’d been granted her green card, the two-year time requirement would have been waived, she could press her case to stay in America and become a U.S. citizen if she wished, Renison said. Without the card, she faces deportation.

She worried she might be arrested and sent to Kosovo when she was summoned to Chicago to meet with immigration officials in early February. Instead, the interviewer told her he was directed only to update her file. He had no idea when or if she would be marked for deportation, she said. Renison added immigration officials have been slow to deport people in the past. But efforts are being made to speed the process.

“It could happen any time,” Renison said.

Meanwhile, Engstrom moved to Bloomington to be near her husband’s aunt, Kim Engstrom, a member of the Military Affinity Group at State Farm Insurance Cos., and to prove she could make it in America on her own. She wanted to attend Illinois State University but decided to wait until her fate was decided. She’s rethinking her plans after waiting three years for her immigration status to be resolved.

Her life has been disrupted in other ways. She missed the funerals of her paternal grandparents in Kosovo. She knows she will not be allowed back into the U.S. if she leaves.

She celebrates Dalton’s birthday with the rest of the family Dec. 29, but it’s hard as she remembers the double significance of the date.

And, she waits.

“I’m just hoping everything goes well. I’m keeping my fingers crossed,” she said. “I understand immigration (officials), they have a lot of illegal people coming in and out. But I do think they should check cases more in-depth and see what the situation is before they send someone home. It was not a marriage of convenience. … (Todd was killed.) There is nothing I could do about that.”