Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-12-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NBA rescinds Flagrant Foul call on Stack. Johnson out at least a week.

Johnson undergoes surgery, to be sidelined for a week

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer
May 12, 2005
PHOENIX (AP) -- Phoenix Suns guard Joe Johnson underwent surgery Thursday to repair a displaced fracture in the bone around his left eye.

The starting guard, who has played in all 287 games since coming to the Suns in his rookie season, will miss at least the next two games of the team's Western Conference semifinal series against Dallas and probably Game 5 in Phoenix as well, Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

``He underwent reconstructive surgery for an orbital fracture,'' Dr. Edward Joganic, who performed the operation, said in a statement.

``Surgery went smoothly and he is expected to recover fully,'' Joganic said. ``We will continue to evaluate Joe and assess his ability to play in the remainder of the playoffs in one week.''

Colangelo said the team wasn't going to be more specific about how long Johnson could be out.

Johnson was injured when he was fouled by Jerry Stackhouse on a drive to the basket late in the first half of the Suns' 108-106 loss in Game 2 on Wednesday night. The 6-foot-7 guard hung on the rim briefly, then crashed face-first to the floor, and lay there for several minutes while receiving six stitches to close a cut near the eye.

Johnson climbed to his feet and made one of two free throws before leaving the game.

Stackhouse was called for a flagrant foul, but the NBA rescinded it Thursday after reviewing the play.

Teammate Steve Nash visited Johnson in the hospital after the surgery. Johnson, who also sustained a mild concussion, had no memory of the game, Nash said.

``He seemed pretty good this morning. He didn't seem too depressed,'' Nash said. ``His friends and his family were there. His agent was there. He's doing OK. He had a lot of support so he's fine.''

Johnson has averaged 19 points a game in the playoffs, third-highest on the team. He has shot 57 percent from 3-point range (13-for-23), best of any player in the postseason.

``Joe's been an iron man for us,'' Nash said after the Suns practiced Thursday before leaving for Dallas. ``He never misses a practice. He never misses a game. He's been such a huge part of our team. He's had a great year, and he's a great guy. It's really tough for us. We're just going to have to rally together and get it done for him.''

Jim Jackson will move into the starting lineup for Game 3 on Friday night. Coach Mike D'Antoni said the team's biggest concern is for Johnson.

``I think everybody really feels sorry for Joe,'' D'Antoni said. ``We're not down as a team. We know what we can still do, but for probably the nicest guy around, to not be able to participate, we feel sorry for Joe.''

Rescind the damn bad call.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:NBA rescinds Flagrant Foul call on Stack. Johnson out at least a week.

hmm, doesn't matter really, but it's good to see the league fess up to a bad call.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
Mavs_fun_fan

Mavs_fun_fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: NBA rescinds Flagrant Foul call on Stack. Johnson out at least a week.

Well they got it right, In my view it was a clean block, But it worked out best the way it was called so I'm fine with it. I didn't really expect them to change the call although it was obviouly not a flagrant foul.

Its a shame that Johnson got hurt and I'm sure the Suns will miss his play, but his injury was the result of his mistakenly trying to hang on the basket. When Stack blocked his shot I think he was hoping to hang and maybe put back a rebound. It backfired and now he's out for a t least a week.
Mavs_fun_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:NBA rescinds Flagrant Foul call on Stack. Johnson out at least a week.

oh sweet vindication.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Johnson undergoes surgery, to be sidelined for a week

``I think everybody really feels sorry for Joe,'' D'Antoni said. ``We're not down as a team. We know what we can still do, but for probably the nicest guy around, to not be able to participate, we feel sorry for Joe.''

Rescind the damn bad call.

Good to hear that Suns is not down. GOOD. Now, let's unleash your anger on Mavs. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:19 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember guaranteeing that the league would rescind the call, and I remember some Suns fans telling me that wouldn't happen.

Hmmm...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Don't hold your breath waiting the the aforementioned Suns fan to eat crow KG. But you're definitely the man with the prediction. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I figured we would get to see something like this. It's the right thing to do. I thought the refs blew that call because they were intimidated and bothered by the blood. I'm glad it didn't hurt the Mavs more.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I seem to remember guaranteeing that the league would rescind the call, and I remember some Suns fans telling me that wouldn't happen.

Hmmm...
I didn't think it would happen, myself. Just because of how bad the guy got hurt. I could have easily seen the argument that initiating ANY sort of body contact is reckless, when the offensive player is on such a full-out break.

I'm glad they rescinded the ruling. That shows integrity. But even if they hadn't, I still don't mind Stack taking the flagrant there. Just another part of the game...

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: NBA rescinds Flagrant Foul call on Stack. Johnson out at least a week.

What I don't mind is stack RISKING a flagrant to go get that ball. Man up dude, man up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Just think if the Mavs had lost the game because of that bad call on Stack; the league wouldn't reverse that. I couldn't believe that the officials would pull something like that. No one wanted to see Johnson hurt; it was a freak play that was mainly his own fault.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Every mention I've seen of the rescindment is buried way down in some article about the Mavs v. Suns series.

Nothing like a press release announcing a reversal of what was a critical system failure, and which could have easily had an unfair effect on the Mavericks.

Repeat: Bavetta and the other officials on the crew should be removed from their next two assignments for a mistake of that magnitude.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #13
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
``He seemed pretty good this morning. He didn't seem too depressed,'' Nash said. ``His friends and his family were there. His agent was there. He's doing OK. He had a lot of support so he's fine.''
ala Jerry Maquire
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

MavKiki, i am PISSED about that. EVERY article after the game continually repeated that stackhouse comitted a flagrant foul, hard foul, etc. with no mention of Johnson's hanging on the rim being the actual catalyst for the fall. so anyone reading that, without seeing the game, would think stack intentionally injured johnson.

Now we get the call rescinded, and it's buried like a newspaper retraction. that is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Journalists will often stick with the more "sensational" aspect of a story in order to create a reaction from their reader. If there is nothing "sensatonal" about it, then it will be buried. Just the reality of journalism today.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i just hope stack doesn't get attached to a stigma of being a dirty player as a result.

and i hate to claim bias, but what if it was Nash that undercut someone or something like that, then the flagrant call was reversed? i guarantee the news coverage would be different. or hell, even if it was reversed and jonson fouled stack.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #17
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

That's great but it cost the Mavs two points. They won anyway but for the game, it gave the Suns two more points
Old 05-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #18
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Actually, Stack did body foul him on the play. So, Johnson did deserve the free throws. What they didn't deserve was the possession afterwards. This took a potential score away from the Mavs and/or more time off the clock, hence giving the Suns less of a chance to come back.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #19
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Day1MavsFan
Actually, Stack did body foul him on the play. So, Johnson did deserve the free throws. What they didn't deserve was the possession afterwards. This took a potential score away from the Mavs and/or more time off the clock, hence giving the Suns less of a chance to come back.
No. I was tlaking about the free throws for the flagrant.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #20
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

???

Two free throws are two free throws, any way you slice it. That's all they got. They called it a flagrant 1, which means they got 2 free throws plus possession. The net difference between that and it not being called a flagrant was the possession.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, but he only hit one anyway.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

bump for the annoying Suns fan.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote