Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all
Default Stack glad to be with mavs

Stackhouse glad to be with Mavericks

By John N. Mitchell
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Jerry Stackhouse has no regrets about his experience in Washington, mostly because he believes he's where he should be.
"Ultimately, I think I'm in a better situation," said Stackhouse after scoring 28 points yesterday in Dallas' 122-113 victory over the Wizards. "And ultimately, Washington is in a better situation. Washington got a younger player. They needed more frontcourt guys because they have a lot of pieces in the backcourt. I figure it's a win-win for both sides."

Washington last summer traded Stackhouse, 30, along with Christian Laettner and the draft rights to Devin Harris in exchange for Antawn Jamison, 28, and cash considerations. He missed 54 games because of right knee surgery last season, and Stackhouse wasn't himself when he did play. Stackhouse, who has averaged 20.9 points in his career, came off the bench in all but nine games last season to average a career-low 13.9.
Stackhouse spent two seasons with the Wizards, leading the team in scoring (21.5) in 2002-03 after the Wizards acquired him from Detroit for Richard Hamilton.
But last year was far different. The situation reached a low point when Stackhouse announced on Feb. 28 he was going to miss the remainder of the season — without consulting with the team — to let his aching knee heal. This was after Stackhouse scored 20 points, grabbed five rebounds and handed out five assists against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Eventually, Stackhouse returned to the Wizards and played a reduced role as the team stumbled to a 25-57 record.
When Stackhouse met with president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld and coach Eddie Jordan at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season, he got the feeling the Wizards would do their best to deal him to a good team if they indeed traded him.
"There were issues that I addressed with this team, with Eddie and Ernie throughout the season and after the season," Stackhouse said. "It wasn't anything personal against them or the organization. It's just that coming into my 10th year I wanted to be in a situation where I can win. I feel like I'm in the prime of my career despite the injury. I'm playing my best basketball and I know the most about the game that I have at any point in my career. Why would I want to waste that in a rebuilding situation?"
Stackhouse, who is coming off the bench this season, came into yesterday's game averaging 13.3 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists. He had his best game of the season Saturday when he played 40 minutes against New Jersey and finished with 28 points.
As is often the case when a former Wizard returns to MCI Center, Stackhouse was mostly booed yesterday. Stackhouse, who still owns a house in the area, nevertheless says he feels no ill will toward his old team.
"I don't regret it all," Stackhouse said. "I found a church here [First Baptist Church of Glenarden] that was real huge for me and helped my overall life. I look at it, and that could have been the whole reason for coming to Washington."

--

sounds like he really wants to win
Old 11-15-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Stack glad to be with mavs

I'm just waiting when that one game comes around where he doesn't get enough shots or minutes.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us are just waiting for this team to fall apart. I am not one of them.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Some of us are just waiting for this team to fall apart. I am not one of them.
Whose waiting for this team to fall apart?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I am waiting for Stack to get a mystery ailment which will hold him out for 40-50 games. I just hope the team doesn't come to rely on him too much.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I'm hoping for Stack to stay healthy and help the team win a ring or two. Last couple games represent more of his real game than the previous six, I believe. The guy lost nearly a year to injury and then before he could get enough games, got injured again in the preseason. It may be that he's just now finding his groove and that won't be very pleasant news for all those assigned to guard him. At his prime, he's almost as Jordanesque as the showbe from LA or the "trade me or else" carter from Toronto.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

Is Stack better than Finley?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Stack glad to be with mavs

I believe Stack, being in the potential playoff situation that he is in, will do the best he can to play through injury and walk any off. Perhaps I am jumping way ahead of myself here, but when is the last time he's had a legitimate opportunity to play for a national championship team? This could be his last chance and I'll bet he will make everything he can out of it.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Razor
Is Stack better than Finley?
Let's try not to touch this question, and even if we have to, there's another post out there somewhere.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote