Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #241
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

and he attempts to neg rep me but unfortunately it doesnt do anything because he is a newb. Look Credit, i think you are the second person ive ever neg repped(Jet was the other) It takes a special level of lunacy for me to take the extra 15 seconds to neg rep you. You have reached that level.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #242
creditXpert2003
Banned

creditXpert2003 is infamous around these partscreditXpert2003 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
You realize that he is actually a basketball writer and probably the most cba knowledgeable if not just basketball knowledgeable writer in the dallas area right? Keep diggin man, at some point you will dig yourself out of this hole.
I give a rats behind about a basketball sports writer. Ask any player what they feel about a sports writer....Now put that on record. Keyword "Writer"...I have never given credibility to a sports writer just because that is his job. His job to me and most other players is ENTERTAINMENT...

Until he tells me he has signed an actually contract and had an actual agent and attorney to decipher the CBA for him then dont expect me to see him as an self-proclaimed expert with the CBA. Not even current NBA players can decipher it. It takes an attorney to decipher the CBA, and a good one at that. Ask Cuban this question and see what he tells you...
Old 10-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #243
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by creditXpert2003
Correct it is a rookie contract. Look at Larry's website and you will see even there shows areas of restriction. I am not going to hold your hand on it, just read up on it since it is your CBA bible, which it is still not the complete CBA info, and also is not the official rulebook on this situation, because there are still other loopholes in the CBA. Actually you looked silly when you defended LORD. I have noticed alot of double standards going on, which seems more of a cult than a forum. Not once did you and a couple of others correct any other posters during this time frame.

Still no knowledge from you on this issue. Stop riding others, post your own thoughts.
All that, and you still didn't give any detail as to what restriction you perceive is holding back the contract negotiation. That speaks volumes about your credibility.

Quote:
give a rats behind about a basketball sports writer. Ask any player what they feel about a sports writer....Now put that on record. Keyword "Writer"...I have never given credibility to a sports writer just because that is his job. His job to me and most other players is ENTERTAINMENT...
Nobody here has given Lord credibility JUST BECAUSE he is a writer. Most of us are well aware of his body of work and its merit. That aside, at least he provided specific arguments and provided knowledgeable posts. That's not quite the same as someone defaulting to "its too complicated for you to understand!" everytime he is challenged. That's just a defense mechanism for not having a valid argument.

Unimpressive.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 10-10-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #244
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I give a rats behind about a basketball sports writer. Ask any player what they feel about a sports writer....Now put that on record. Keyword "Writer"...I have never given credibility to a sports writer just because that is his job. His job to me and most other players is ENTERTAINMENT...

Until he tells me he has signed an actually contract and had an actual agent and attorney to decipher the CBA for him then dont expect me to see him as an self-proclaimed expert with the CBA. Not even current NBA players can decipher it. It takes an attorney to decipher the CBA, and a good one at that. Ask Cuban this question and see what he tells you...
Yet you can?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #245
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

So pretty much not a single person on these boards or anywhere else on the internet has your approval to discuss the CBA?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #246
creditXpert2003
Banned

creditXpert2003 is infamous around these partscreditXpert2003 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
and he attempts to neg rep me but unfortunately it doesnt do anything because he is a newb. Look Credit, i think you are the second person ive ever neg repped(Jet was the other) It takes a special level of lunacy for me to take the extra 15 seconds to neg rep you. You have reached that level.
I guess you think since I am new that I can't see your negs that you posted as well as Mary and company. Eye for an eye..... I watched your little crew put 4 straight negative remarks on my reputation, and you think I am just going to sit here..Grow up and take it like a man or wo-man. I dont agree with your 3-man crew. Face it....
Old 10-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #247
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

call me naive, but I have no concern about Josh getting money and years that will make both he and the team happy.

unless there really are CBA issues that would stop the proceedings from coming to a peaceful resolution...which I doubt.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #248
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Correct it is a rookie contract. Look at Larry's website and you will see even there shows areas of restriction. I am not going to hold your hand on it, just read up on it since it is your CBA bible, which it is still not the complete CBA info, and also is not the official rulebook on this situation, because there are still other loopholes in the CBA. Actually you looked silly when you defended LORD. I have noticed alot of double standards going on, which seems more of a cult than a forum. Not once did you and a couple of others correct any other posters during this time frame.

Still no knowledge from you on this issue. Stop riding others, post your own thoughts.
I love when we get new members normally, I really do, because they are important for a message board but would you PLEASE try to make some kind of sense? Why dont you mention what these mysterious restrictions you speak of are instead of just calling them restrictions? You sound like a little kid talking about the boogeyman.

I will fully admit, Im not a CBA expert. Its quite possible you know more about the CBA than I do. My knowledge is essentially limited to the common knowledge things like the % raises available, BYC status, the % rules on contracts traded and things like that. However, if you are gonna claim some brilliant CBA knowledge could you please enlighten us as to what you are talking about that would prevent this from getting done?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #249
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So pretty much not a single person on these boards or anywhere else on the internet has your approval to discuss the CBA?
My point is that any person that says they are the ultimate expert in this area and the message board agrees with him, then my point is that I am not willing to agree with that unless he has walked through that fire I described. Did you not read his posts taughting how he was the expert and you all agreed? Why did you not attack that part of his statement? It is very clear, you and three others act like a cult. A cult sees no wrong in their members or leader and will attack any others if they do...

Now why dont you prove me wrong and read his posts and attack it as well.....
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #250
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
My point is that any person that says they are the ultimate expert in this area and the message board agrees with him, then my point is that I am not willing to agree with that unless he has walked through that fire I described. Did you not read his posts taughting how he was the expert and you all agreed? Why did you not attack that part of his statement? It is very clear, you and three others act like a cult. A cult sees no wrong in their members or leader and will attack any others if they do...

Now why dont you prove me wrong and read his posts and attack it as well.....
I dont attack his credibility because I have read his work for about the last 2 years or so and have found it to be accurate and insightful. He has never represented himself as something that I sincerly doubt he is unlike yourself. He has built up credibility while you on the other hand come in here and mention things with no basis nor backup and bash everyone else because they didnt play pro ball.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #251
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
However, if you are gonna claim some brilliant CBA knowledge could you please enlighten us as to what you are talking about that would prevent this from getting done?
Are we going to get a legitmate answer to this question?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #252
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Are we going to get a legitmate answer to this question?
I doubt it, most likely we will get told that there are "restrictions" with no real mention of what they are. Like i said, its like a kid talking about the boogeyman.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #253
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
I love when we get new members normally, I really do, because they are important for a message board but would you PLEASE try to make some kind of sense? Why dont you mention what these mysterious restrictions you speak of are instead of just calling them restrictions? You sound like a little kid talking about the boogeyman.

I will fully admit, Im not a CBA expert. Its quite possible you know more about the CBA than I do. My knowledge is essentially limited to the common knowledge things like the % raises available, BYC status, the % rules on contracts traded and things like that. However, if you are gonna claim some brilliant CBA knowledge could you please enlighten us as to what you are talking about that would prevent this from getting done?
I am not an CBA expert as well. I stated that, but I do know some restrictions that hender deals like this to get done. I also do know that their is a difference between what the Mavs can offer now and after this season. It is hard for me to put it in words w/o an attorney, but their is alot of things behind the scene that the public dont have access to.

All I am saying is that it is not "Cut" and "Dry" like most people think. I know this personally. The Mavs are restricted to show their top hand right now because of the CBA. Josh and his camp feel his value is more than what the max in the CBA can offer him. The sticky point is that MAYBE or MAYBE not Josh's camp is right. That is the issue that keeps the deal from getting down. Josh's camp can gamble and the market COULD say this summer that he is worth less, and will be forced to accept a smaller contract than what the Mavs are offering today.

I wish I could explain it better, but I cant put it in a language that you would accept from me. Also, the Mavs can low-ball Josh right now and try to get Howard at a steal. Teams know that players want to sign quickly, so it works to their advantage and the team rightfully plays that role. It could be that Josh would accept the max extension contract, but the Mavs have not offered it yet, hoping to milk Howard's play for this year to be like most others in their final contract year.

If I was the Mavs, I would low-ball Howard right now, to get that special top-notched play that final year contract players display. Knowing that I am going to sign him in the end, especially with that restricted tag in place. From the player standpoint this is not good.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #254
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Xpert, you won't get anywhere on this forum by ragging on DLord...he is one of the only basketball writers in the area that actually knows the game. You would do well to read his stuff at dallasbasketball.com before assuming he is just another ignorant writer.

To DLord: You don't actually think there will be any snags in signing Howard, right? Don't you think this is just a negotiation as usual?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #255
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
I dont attack his credibility because I have read his work for about the last 2 years or so and have found it to be accurate and insightful. He has never represented himself as something that I sincerly doubt he is unlike yourself. He has built up credibility while you on the other hand come in here and mention things with no basis nor backup and bash everyone else because they didnt play pro ball.
Find one post that I bashed someone that did NOT insult me....Find it!!!!!!!! As of matter of fact look for all of my posts before yesterday and tell me where I tried to be better than ANYONE. You will not find it. All you will find is a 4-man crew insulting me starting yesterday, and me defending myself about those posters.

I backed up every statement, but I guess your crew did as well? No, all you all did was insult and revert to child's play with name calling. Just like when that guy told you all that he was a writer, I told you that I played pro ball. What is the difference? My point is that I gave you all some of my background so you all could get to know me here. All you and the rest of the 4-man crew was take my professional experience and turn it into me saying I was better.

Why did you not take the writer to do the same? I just re-read his posts, he claims to be the top of the line. So is that cocky or what?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 AM   #256
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Find one post that I bashed someone that did NOT insult me....Find it!!!!!!!! As of matter of fact look for all of my posts before yesterday and tell me where I tried to be better than ANYONE. You will not find it. All you will find is a 4-man crew insulting me starting yesterday, and me defending myself about those posters.
Quite honeslty, all that I said was that you were backtracking on the whole MIP thing. I didn't call you a single name or give you neg rep until you turned into Instant Asshole.

Go back and read the thread.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #257
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Xpert, you won't get anywhere on this forum by ragging on DLord...he is one of the only basketball writers in the area that actually knows the game. You would do well to read his stuff at dallasbasketball.com before assuming he is just another ignorant writer.

To DLord: You don't actually think there will be any snags in signing Howard, right? Don't you think this is just a negotiation as usual?
Trust me, I have read alot of his posts. That is also why I disagree with him. Ignorant is not the name I would use for him. The word "Arrogant" comes to my mind first. I thought there was some shake-up there at dallasbasketball.com? But, I will agree that he is not as bad as most others I read about at times. Overall sports writers have a bad name in the nba player circle. DLord knows that as well.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #258
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
Quite honeslty, all that I said was that you were backtracking on the whole MIP thing. I didn't call you a single name or give you neg rep until you turned into Instant Asshole.

Go back and read the thread.
No, you go back, you poked little jabs a couple of times before you posted that message. Go back and look...Then when you did post, you jumped into my conversation with "LORD". On top of that, he was making gestures about my knowledge to my screen name and you defended it with your post. I defended it by showing him that his screen name can be taken like that as well. Even though I did not take it that way.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #259
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
All that, and you still didn't give any detail as to what restriction you perceive is holding back the contract negotiation. That speaks volumes about your credibility.

Nobody here has given Lord credibility JUST BECAUSE he is a writer. Most of us are well aware of his body of work and its merit. That aside, at least he provided specific arguments and provided knowledgeable posts. That's not quite the same as someone defaulting to "its too complicated for you to understand!" everytime he is challenged. That's just a defense mechanism for not having a valid argument.

Unimpressive.
I dont have to impress you. The whole problem is that you and 3 others feel people have to impress you here when they join this OPEN forum. You and them 3 dont impress me as a newcomer here. So what does that say about you four? NOTHING!!! I have the same centiment about you 4. I am not an attorney or expert to the CBA and DLORD is NOT as well. If he was he would not be a writer, he would be an attorney.

The best way to explain what I know about this current situation is my earlier post that broke it down. Even Croon's website is not totally correct, their are many loopholes and issues that are not there. Lastly, contracts are like chess. It is not "Cut and "Dry". I have read many posts, and all that people are saying is that Howard is asking for too much money. This is/could NOT be the case. I am asking people to hold judgement on this issue and look at other options as well on this issue. Some of these issues are CBA issues and some are normal cat and mouse games both sides play.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #260
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
No, you go back, you poked little jabs a couple of times before you posted that message. Go back and look..

I looked, you're wrong. I can repost all of my posts from yesterday if you'd like, but I believe that you already know that you're wrong.

Quote:
.Then when you did post, you jumped into my conversation with "LORD". On top of that, he was making gestures about my knowledge to my screen name and you defended it with your post. I defended it by showing him that his screen name can be taken like that as well. Even though I did not take it that way.
Dude, I was telling you that Lord was his last name, as in David Lord. Are you saying that was enough to set you off?

Try again.

Quote:
Trust me, I have read alot of his posts. That is also why I disagree with him. Ignorant is not the name I would use for him. The word "Arrogant" comes to my mind first. I thought there was some shake-up there at dallasbasketball.com? But, I will agree that he is not as bad as most others I read about at times. Overall sports writers have a bad name in the nba player circle. DLord knows that as well.
That's funny. Two pages ago we had to explain to you who David Lord was, now you're completely familiar with him and have read "lots" of his "posts".

Nice bit.

Quote:
Stop riding others, post your own thoughts.
FWIW, I made the same point about the CBA in post # 52 of this thread, long before it became the center of discussion between yourself and Mr. Lord.

Last edited by mary; 10-10-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #261
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

ya know guys..in this ONE thread we have many posts from guys named "jackass", "butt kisser", and "dick head", in think we should all abandon ship and go to a new thread...

hurry!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #262
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

My head hurts. Can't we pay a mod to ban this guy or something?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #263
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I am not an CBA expert as well. I stated that, but I do know some restrictions that hender deals like this to get done. I also do know that their is a difference between what the Mavs can offer now and after this season. It is hard for me to put it in words w/o an attorney, but their is alot of things behind the scene that the public dont have access to.

All I am saying is that it is not "Cut" and "Dry" like most people think. I know this personally. The Mavs are restricted to show their top hand right now because of the CBA. Josh and his camp feel his value is more than what the max in the CBA can offer him. The sticky point is that MAYBE or MAYBE not Josh's camp is right. That is the issue that keeps the deal from getting down. Josh's camp can gamble and the market COULD say this summer that he is worth less, and will be forced to accept a smaller contract than what the Mavs are offering today.

I wish I could explain it better, but I cant put it in a language that you would accept from me. Also, the Mavs can low-ball Josh right now and try to get Howard at a steal. Teams know that players want to sign quickly, so it works to their advantage and the team rightfully plays that role. It could be that Josh would accept the max extension contract, but the Mavs have not offered it yet, hoping to milk Howard's play for this year to be like most others in their final contract year.

If I was the Mavs, I would low-ball Howard right now, to get that special top-notched play that final year contract players display. Knowing that I am going to sign him in the end, especially with that restricted tag in place. From the player standpoint this is not good.
of course josh would accept the "max" extension. If he wouldnt he needs to FIRE his agent right now. Good lord due, the difference is that there can be an extra year on the contract after next year, but the total max money doesnt come into play because josh isnt close to being a max player.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:35 PM   #264
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Credit is almost making me wish we'd let Josh walk so he'd stfu.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 PM   #265
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Credit is almost making me wish we'd let Josh walk so he'd stfu.
i wouldnt go that far but i know what you are saying.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #266
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Updating my ignore list right now.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #267
creditXpert2003
Banned

Quote:
I looked, you're wrong. I can repost all of my posts from yesterday if you'd like, but I believe that you already know that you're wrong.

Dude, I was telling you that Lord was his last name, as in David Lord. Are you saying that was enough to set you off?

Try again.

That's funny. Two pages ago we had to explain to you who David Lord was, now you're completely familiar with him and have read "lots" of his "posts".

Nice bit.
My point was who is he? Just because he is a sports writer dont make him the final say on these issues. I kinda figured DLord was really David Lord, but I was not for sure. Alot of people choose screen names for many reasons.

Ok, so "Xpert" is not my screen name? Did you even read the post where DLORD was saying I think I am an expert since my screen name has "Xpert" in it. So, I shot back to him to imply his name could imply the same.

You dont have to re-post, I can just visit your screen name to view them like I did. Kinda like being scared to re-fresh this thread

On top of all that, you gave me a neg. Now tell me why I would not be offended by you...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #268
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

CreditX ... There is no attempt to hide who I am. People here know me because I write about basketball, specifically the Mavs. I used to play the game at the college level, but don't claim to have been great. I played 4 years, started for 3, but I'm just a guy who played, so what. I do think I understand some of the concepts of the game a bit better than most because of my background, but my writing has to speak for itself.

My life experience is not limited to writing about basketball so I tend to offer more fact-based articles rather than frothy descriptions of games and players. That's who I am. I told you about my research and level of expertise to inform, not to claim any sort of all-knowingness. The reason I mentioned it was because you didnt appear to know what I had written in the past and what my area of expertise is - while others here have read and been able to examine it for credibility for several years now.

As for the CBA, the cap, contracts, tax, and other issues of the like, you apparently have been persuaded by agents and attorneys that it is all a bunch of unknowable mumbo-jumbo. For the most part, I happen to disagree. Almost the entirety of what governs contracts is contained in the legal agreement written to govern those contracts, which is the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NBA and its players. It is a long, complex, and very detailed document. But it is available for anyone to read, study, and digest to whatever extent they wish. The Standard Player Contract is standard - and also available to read and comprehend. I have taken the time to read those on multiple occasions and work through many of the issues myself, to try to ensure what I am writing is fact-based rather than crap. (You'll find my name on Larry Coon's FAQ as someone who has worked with him to correct errors in certain areas of his FAQ.) If I have a niche in my writing, it's this specific area.

Do I know it all? Nope. But I am leery of the concept that there are mysterious unknown factors at play here, that only an attorney could possibly comprehend. That sounds like a great sales pitch by an attorney to justify his fees, but the fact remains that the documents that limit and restrict these issues are public, and are written in English. They aren't simple, but they aren't restricted to only being understood by an attorney either.

The issues you raise re Josh and the Mavs are not CBA restrictions at all. Again, your point of view sounds like what an attorney or agent might tell a player to keep him in his pocket when the offer is not what they are looking for: "Player X, there are all these restrictions the Mavs are dealing with. I'm an attorney, I know these things, you just have to trust me on it. Stick with me and we will get a deal eventually but there are obstacles right now." But my experience in life makes me aware that usually the wizardry in Oz isn't all that complex, once you are behind the curtain.

These things are knowable - you just have to do a ton of work to get there, and simplify them. My value in the business world has always been in my ability of taking and digesting very complex issues, and then making them simpler and generally understandable to the client. That's what I try to do when I write.

In the case of Josh and the lack of a contract so far, what you outline is what's called negotiating, and not much more than that.

But there is nothing I know of to prevent the Mavs from offering Josh way more money than he should reasonably be asking, based on the kind of contracts similar players have gotten at this point in their career. Maybe he's a 45-50M player right now based on comparables, but the Mavs actually could offer him about 80M if they wanted to, under the rules. That's a ton of room to play with. So they arent limited from offering what he is worth due to some sort of "league restrictions." Instead, the problem is that the two sides disagree on what he is worth, apparently. Happens all the time but there is no mystery involved.

I invite you to read what what I write going forward at db.com. Agree, disagree, trash it, enjoy it. However I'm not here to argue or debate, much less berate you or anyone else, only to help inform. So it's time for me to step back and let you and the others discuss Josh's contract.

DL

PS - - - Re the following ...

Quote:
Did you even read the post where DLORD was saying I think I am an expert since my screen name has "Xpert" in it. ...
FYI it wasnt an intentional dig at your choice of screen names. I was instead responding to your angle that you were more knowledgeable on the CBA than anyone else here because you played ball in Europe. I tend to ignore screen names, for the most part, and actually had to go back and look up what in the world you were referencing because I had no idea.

However I took a shot without thinking and didnt set a rational tone in replying or discussing the issue at hand. I try to be better than that when i spend time writing on a message board. My apologies.

Last edited by DLord; 10-10-2006 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #269
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I asked once & you ignored me, so I'll ask again - what team did you play for? What are your credentials? This info would legitimize your opinion & strengthen your argument...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #270
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

Quote:
MY BEST GUESS is that this is a 5 yr/ 6 yr issue centered on length and total of money issues, that would be easier to resolve in July is nothing else changes. [I hope you follow that abbreviated version of the issues I am referring to.]

However, I'm not convinced that waiting is necessarily the best course even if it looks like the easy way out right now. If I'm advising the Mavs, I tell them to find common ground in the middle, assuming the sides arent 20M apart of course, and get it out of the way. While Josh risks injury this season before ever getting that big payoff, the Mavs risk him taking one more step upward into a Pippenish level of play. Thats good for the team, but it's also a monstrous upgrade in salary. Both sides have a motivation to do it now, and you have to seize the moment.

I dont have any problem if either or both push it until the end of the month, though. Fight for the best deal up until the last moment - then git er done, if it's anywhere close to doable.

I think both sides truly want him here, and want a deal. That's common ground that need not be squandered. But as to what will truly happen, no one knows.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #271
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW.

I hadn't opened this thread in a couple days....what a thing to click and digest in one sitting. My goodness.

I think it's pretty easy to see what happened here. You have a new poster that was clearly a big cahuna at his little Mavsy site where he used to post. I mean, he sounds like the Pied Piper. He had people coming and posting over here, and praising his name for pointing him to this site.

So, this guy gets here, and assumes his esteemed basketall knowledge and experience is going to establish him as a resident expert immediately. Come to find out, he's just another fish in a much bigger pond. And a rather small one at that.

Sad really.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-10-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #272
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
MY BEST GUESS is that this is a 5 yr/ 6 yr issue centered on length and total of money issues, that would be easier to resolve in July is nothing else changes. [I hope you follow that abbreviated version of the issues I am referring to.]

However, I'm not convinced that waiting is necessarily the best course even if it looks like the easy way out right now. If I'm advising the Mavs, I tell them to find common ground in the middle, assuming the sides arent 20M apart of course, and get it out of the way. While Josh risks injury this season before ever getting that big payoff, the Mavs risk him taking one more step upward into a Pippenish level of play. Thats good for the team, but it's also a monstrous upgrade in salary. Both sides have a motivation to do it now, and you have to seize the moment.

I dont have any problem if either or both push it until the end of the month, though. Fight for the best deal up until the last moment - then git er done, if it's anywhere close to doable.

I think both sides truly want him here, and want a deal. That's common ground that need not be squandered. But as to what will truly happen, no one knows.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't think they'd be $20M apart. I'd guess it's more like $10M. Josh's agent could be asking for something in the range of $55M-$60M/5yrs, while the Mavs could be near the $45-50M/5yrs range.

Waiting until next year is risky for both sides. Josh needs to consider the injury risk as well as a scenario such as what happened to Bonzi and Spree, where the money just drains up after the big uns' are taken care of. Mavs need to consider the potential distraction in a year where the focus should be on the ring and nothing else!

Disclaimer: I'm neither an ex-player, nor a sports journalist... certainly not a lawyer or an agent (yikes!). I'm just a simple, ordinary fan that loves to discuss the Mavs! My view on the deal is nothing but pure, unadulterated conjecture and/or speculation.

Last edited by V2M; 10-10-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #273
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
bingo.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #274
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is KG to referee when you need him ?
Old 10-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #275
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. What a craptacular retreat.....what craptacular crap in general.

There should be an admissions test or something for newbs.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #276
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
I'm just a simple, ordinary fan that loves to discuss the Mavs!
I object to this comment..there is nothing simple or ordinary about V2!

Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #277
Drbio
Banned

It's the M that makes him siMple sike.

Last edited by Drbio; 10-10-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #278
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I object to this comment..there is nothing simple or ordinary about V2! Or his penis

Woah, Sike, keep that info to yourself.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #279
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
It's the M that makes him siMple sike.
and its the "oc" that makes doc a cock

as in a rooster I mean

Old 10-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #280
Drbio
Banned

And don't forget it buster.
Closed Thread

Tags
classic threads, creditxpert2003