Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
l3igballer23

l3igballer23 is on a distinguished road
Default Dirk trade?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...ack=2&cset=true

Talks Of A Nowitzki Deal Blowing In The Wind

The Chicago Tribune - Steve Nash was let go by the Mavericks after last season's disappointing end and now there are rumors floating about in regards to a Dirk Nowitzki trade this off-season.

So where could the Mavericks potentially deal Dirk Nowitzki according to Sam Smith?

One possibility is a Garnett, Cassell and Sprewell deal while also making the Mavs take Troy Hudson and his long contract for Nowitzki, Terry, promising rookie Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse and perhaps a throw-in or two like rookie Pavel Podkolzin and a No. 1 draft pick?

A Garnett for Nowitzki type deal might work, however, it could lead to a revolt in Minnesota.

l3igballer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
l3igballer23

Default RE:Dirk trade?

Sorry, I messed up with the link on the last one
[*]http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=2&cset=true

RealGM has the article if you're not registered with the Tribune --
[*]http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...g_in_the_wind/
Old 05-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dirk trade?

Wow, old reliable Sam Smith huh?

Guess Dirk should start packing his bags. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]

Dirk's not going anywhere. I promise.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Won't ever happen, just a random journalist trying to stir something up....
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
l3igballer23

I'm not a Mavs fans, but would you guys do this deal?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Not a chance, I love our current roster.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I would consider a trade for KG with Dirk in it but we are giving up entirely too much in that deal.

I seriously wouldn't do anything more than Dirk and TAW for KG,, that saves their owner some cash.

That's it.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Mavs should touch any players they were using in this years' postseason rotation.. although KVH is probably an expendable player.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Sam Smith writes an article, and suddenly there are "rumors". There are no rumors, only Smith's crap column.

I'm not trading Dirk for KG, nor would I trade KG for Dirk.

In a couple of years, if Cuban can't get Dirk to sign an extension and if the Mavs haven't won a title, then it might be time to deal.

But for the moment, unless Cleveland calls up and offers LeBron, Dirk stays put.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Sammy...shut the FARCK UP!!!
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Is the Chicago Tribune a real newspaper or is it the National Enquirer in disquise?
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

the only way I touch that is Dirk and trash for KG...nothing else. I'm not taking back there trash to depleat our bench. But straight up...you would be kidding yourself if you wouldn't take KG over Dirk.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 AM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Sam the Sham who is all Blow......................... never listen to Sam.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
l3igballer23

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
Sam Smith writes an article, and suddenly there are "rumors". There are no rumors, only Smith's crap column.

In a couple of years, if Cuban can't get Dirk to sign an extension and if the Mavs haven't won a title, then it might be time to deal.

But for the moment, unless Cleveland calls up and offers LeBron, Dirk stays put.
You wouldn't trade Dirk for KG straight up? That sounds like major homerism. KG is a more complete player. That is my unbiased opinion. I am not a Dirk or KG fan, but you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't trade for Dirk for KG.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: l3igballer23
Quote:

You wouldn't trade Dirk for KG straight up? That sounds like major homerism. KG is a more complete player. That is my unbiased opinion. I am not a Dirk or KG fan, but you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't trade for Dirk for KG.
No, it isn't homerism. Nor did I say that KG would not be an upgrade over Dirk. But considering that the Mavs just posted the second most wins in franchise history, and he is our franchise player and only 26 years old, and seems to improve portions of his game virtually every single year, I'm just not willing to let him go unless its for someone that I'm CERTAIN has more upside than Dirk. At this point, rather than blow the team up AGAIN, I'm willing to wait to see if Dirk can further close the gap between he and KG. If Dirk improves his low post game and passing skills, that gap will close. He'll never be the defender that KG is, but Dirk's offensive versatility is far superior to Garnett's.

KG is definitely a more complete player, but he comes with own set of problems as well. He's not always as aggressive at attacking the basekt as you would expect him to be, and can not be counted on to generate offense. Do you think Garnett was Minnie's go-to guy last year? Hell no. It was Cassell always coming up with the big shots. Again, don't get me wrong, Garnett is awesome - but the drop off between he and Tim Duncan is pretty significant.

Besides, how often are franchise players traded for OTHER franchise players? Shaq, TMAC, Chris Webber....what did those teams get in return?

And again, what and who is claiming Minnie is looking to deal KG? Do their salaries even come close to matching? Does this article have any basis in reality?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

sam smith is a butt end of a blue butted baboon

I would seriously think about a straight up trade dirk for kg.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:55 PM   #17
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

I agree with Sike, KG for Dirk straight up.

Everything else in that blurb is insane!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #18
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

just the mention of cassel and spree has my mind going:NOOO!!
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Does this article have any basis in reality?
Yeah, the crack pipe sitting on Sam Smith's desk.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
the only way I touch that is Dirk and trash for KG...nothing else. I'm not taking back there trash to depleat our bench. But straight up...you would be kidding yourself if you wouldn't take KG over Dirk.
I would take Dirk before KG, and that's the honest truth.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #21
Dalhoop

Dalhoop has a spectacular aura aboutDalhoop has a spectacular aura about

Dirk is two years younger and has three years less wear and tear on his body then KG. KG will be entering his 11th year in the league compaired to Dirks 8th. I would not trade then straight up
Dalhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #22
l3igballer23

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it isn't homerism. Nor did I say that KG would not be an upgrade over Dirk. But considering that the Mavs just posted the second most wins in franchise history, and he is our franchise player and only 26 years old, and seems to improve portions of his game virtually every single year, I'm just not willing to let him go unless its for someone that I'm CERTAIN has more upside than Dirk. At this point, rather than blow the team up AGAIN, I'm willing to wait to see if Dirk can further close the gap between he and KG. If Dirk improves his low post game and passing skills, that gap will close. He'll never be the defender that KG is, but Dirk's offensive versatility is far superior to Garnett's.

KG is definitely a more complete player, but he comes with own set of problems as well. He's not always as aggressive at attacking the basekt as you would expect him to be, and can not be counted on to generate offense. Do you think Garnett was Minnie's go-to guy last year? Hell no. It was Cassell always coming up with the big shots. Again, don't get me wrong, Garnett is awesome - but the drop off between he and Tim Duncan is pretty significant.

Besides, how often are franchise players traded for OTHER franchise players? Shaq, TMAC, Chris Webber....what did those teams get in return?

And again, what and who is claiming Minnie is looking to deal KG? Do their salaries even come close to matching? Does this article have any basis in reality?
"but the drop off between he and Tim Duncan is pretty significant."-

That's just not true. KG was playing on a bad knee for most of the year and he still managed to score 22 and pull down 13 rebs a game. If he was completely healthy like last year, I'm certain Minny would have made the playoffs.

Also, didn't Orlando recieve "the franchise" in return for TMAC? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:37 AM   #23
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Duncan has two rings that is all you need to know. I would trade Dirk for Lebron and Duncan that's it. Dirk for Lebron doesn't work straight up so it would never happen. Duncan is a lifer in San Antonio so again it would never happen. Let this team grow. Harris, Daniels, Howard and even Dirk have a lot to prove to themselves and the rest of the NBA. It all happens in 06.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:57 AM   #24
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"but the drop off between he and Tim Duncan is pretty significant."-

That's just not true. KG was playing on a bad knee for most of the year and he still managed to score 22 and pull down 13 rebs a game. If he was completely healthy like last year, I'm certain Minny would have made the playoffs.
Garnett is a better passer than Duncan, and that's it. I think Duncan is a better player in every other way, and the smartest, most efficient player in the NBA. Personally, I think BOTH OF THEM are very overrated defensively.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 AM   #25
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Threads like this are unfortunate. This whole damn section is unfortunate.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:23 AM   #26
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I realize it is crazy to give up on Dirk who at 26 is still learning and improving.

However, this thread and others like this one are mainly an exercise in hypothetical debate. Most of the arguments/points will more than likely never happen, and because of this you might believe the discussions to be futile.

Although, I think most posters here are interested in discussing simply the merits and possiblities of these trades occuring whether they actually occur or not.

As for trading Dirk, I think his stock is rising. He has a high trade value and therefore would garner a positive return on a trade. So, trading him would make sense in purely pragmatic perspective.

Having said that, when it comes to sports, I believe in fan loyalty. I enjoy watching a team and it's players learn how to win. To follow that team and/or player grow and hopefully become a champion. Perhaps vicariously go through the ups and downs of the season.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather have a heartbreak loss in the NBA finals while rooting for guys I have followed forever, rather than witness the team win with a roster made up of mercenaries. I'd rather root for the heart and soul that occupy the uniforms, rather than just the laundry.

So, I think they should keep Dirk. Allow him to grow and become the player we know he can be. KG is great, but he belongs in Minnesota. As for me, I'll keep Dirk.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #27
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
My thoughts exactly.

There should never be any discussion or postings of a Dirk trade, especially ones intiated by the likes of Sam Smith.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #28
The Miles

KG isnt even close to Duncan. You put Duncan on the Wolves this year and they win 50, you put KG on the Spurs and the Mavs win the Southwest. KG has great stats, he is a great stat padding fantasy player, but KG isn't even close to Tim Duncan as a player. Only a 100% Shaq is in TDs league, that is it.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
Old 05-26-2005, 03:50 PM   #29
l3igballer23

Gimme a break. The team around you shapes your reputation. For example, TMac was the same player last year and he was labeled as a selfish ballhog. He does the same thing in Houston this year and everyone is talking about how he has progressed and matured as a player. SA's team is far deeper and better than Minny's. You put KG on the Spurs, besides chemistry which will eventually come, you have essentially the same quality of a team.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #30
The Miles

You have to be kidding me. The NBA isn't about fantasy basketball, sorry.

Tim Duncan is perhaps the greatest PF of all time and he is what, 28? Lets be real here.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
You have to be kidding me. The NBA isn't about fantasy basketball, sorry.

Tim Duncan is perhaps the greatest PF of all time and he is what, 28? Lets be real here.
Although I hate to say it, I actually have to agree with you here. I still think Karl Malone in his prime was a better player, but Duncan is still in the prime of his career, has two championships, and is currently pursuing a 3rd, and he doesn't have John Stockton. If Duncan were to retire today, I'd have to say that he is the best PF ever. However, and I may just be dreaming here, I do think that Dirk could still hold that title at the end of his career. Duncan has peaked, whereas Dirk is still growing immensely. If Dirk wins a couple of titles and maybe and MVP or two before he retires, he may be that guy. Right now though, Timmy D is the man.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:00 AM   #32
Turint

Turint is on a distinguished road

I'd trade Dirk for a healthy Garnett straight up. This is a no-brainer. It would be an even bigger move if we could unload Bradley with him to dump the salary and roster spot.
Turint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Turint
I'd trade Dirk for a healthy Garnett straight up. This is a no-brainer. It would be an even bigger move if we could unload Bradley with him to dump the salary and roster spot.
This is by no stretch of the imagination a no-brainer... Dirk is younger, far more proficient offensively, and is only going to get better. Garnett has peaked. Garnett may be an all-around better player, but I don't think the gap between them is very large, and I could actually see Dirk closing that gap completely next season. I'm not saying that it would be a bad move, but to call it a "no-brainer" is utterly ridiculous. Even so, why the F*CK would Minnesota ever want Bradley? Honestly...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:02 AM   #34
Turint

KG plays a physical game that Dirk will never have, and that is what is sorely lacking on the Mavericks. The Mavs could swap Dirk for KG and be a contender at that exact moment and not just a pretender. As things stand now, the Mavs with Dirk still lack another physical player in the pf spot, at the least.

As for Bradley being thrown in, well, that was just wishful thinking on my part. In any other line of work Bradley would be in jail for stealing money.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #35
Dalhoop

Dalhoop has a spectacular aura aboutDalhoop has a spectacular aura about

It is that physical play that that would scare me about KG. After 10 yrs of physical play, how long will it be before injuries start to creep into the picture. I know he is still young, but he started young. His career will probibly end before the "average" career would.

I would rather keep Dirk and his "soft" play, he will last longer.
Dalhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #36
Turint

Yeah, and Dirk doesn't have any injury problems with his ankles either does he? :-D
Old 05-27-2005, 09:00 PM   #37
TheFlyingGooseman

TheFlyingGooseman is on a distinguished road

I would trade dirk for kg.
Dirk to me is just a suped up gasol. While KG is in a class with duncan and shaq.
TheFlyingGooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #38
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I just hope Dirk reads all this crap about KG being better than him. I guess that will motivate him even more.

Have you guys all forgotten how STUUUUPID Garnett is?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #39
The Miles

How can you say KG is in a class with Tim Duncan and Shaq and not laugh?

That is ridiculous.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #40
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Turint
This is absurd.

Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote