Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default Texas Tech University

One year from now, I am probably going to be in the US studying for half a year. The exchange student program of my university is offering Texas Tech University as one of the possiblities for me.

So I just wanted to ask if any of you guys have made any experience with Texas Tech?

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

It is in the middle of nowhere?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I know a bunch of people that go there, and I'm sure someone here will be an alumni.

It's basically known as a party school from the outside, because it's located in the middle of nowhere, in Lubbock. I've never even been to Lubbock, though, so I'm going on strictly reputation and not much else. Lubbock is rather far away from everything else. About 5 1/2, 6 hours from Dallas. Academically, it largely depends on the program. What are you studying at University?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
I know a bunch of people that go there, and I'm sure someone here will be an alumni.

It's basically known as a party school from the outside, because it's located in the middle of nowhere, in Lubbock. I've never even been to Lubbock, though, so I'm going on strictly reputation and not much else. Lubbock is rather far away from everything else. About 5 1/2, 6 hours from Dallas. Academically, it largely depends on the program. What are you studying at University?
Thanks for your answers.

I'm studying International Business Administration. I could think of myself studying there for 6 months and then going on vacation all over the states the next 2-3 months, so that it's located in the middle of nowhere is not that much of a concern for me.

I'm way more interested in what is going on inside, what the people are like and how Texas Tech is different from other Universities.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I live in Lubbock, but I didnt go to Tech (Lubbock Christian U) It's a good school, but it leads the nation in STDs. So if you go there dont sleep with chicks. Other than that you'll be ok.

As for Lubbock theres not much to do here, but the people are friendly. It's definetely a college town. Tech football team is exciting. Not much else to Lubbock really.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 09-07-2008 at 06:59 PM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Went to school there for a while. It's a very spacious campus. It has a very college town feel to it since Lubbock really is in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

What are you after for the semester?
you would get to know west texas, which is desert pretty.

Do you have other options in Texas?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #8
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
What are you after for the semester?
you would get to know west texas, which is desert pretty.

Do you have other options in Texas?
No other option in Texas. One option is New Haven, which is 1 1/2 hours from NY. Wait here's a list:

Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green

All Calstate campuses (IP)

Kettering University

Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond

CSU EastBay

Kutztown University

Texas Tech University, Lubbock

University of New Haven

Niagara University

Portland State University

San Diego State University

Valparaiso University

Purdue University - Kranner School of Management, West Lafayette

Do you know any of them?

Well, I don't really know what I'm aiming for during that semester. Good lectures, having a good time, seeing the world, I just don't know.

One goal I really want to achieve is to have a summer school week at the Mises University. It's an economics course. Other than that, I'm not that sure. Just wanted to hear some impressions so that I could make up my mind a little better.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Lubbock is a medium sized city of about 200,000 people. it's is a fairly conservative town. the people are very friendly, and as you can tell from the above posts there is not much around it but cotton fields, cotton fields and more cotton fields broken up by the occasional pumpkin farm.

it has few trees, is mostly brown, very very flat and when the wind blows from the east the stockyards and cotton gin odor is pretty tough to take.

the business school at tech is rated the lower than all the other major schools in the state. u of texas, smu, tx a&m, houston, baylor and ut dallas are all rated higher (in that order). do you have a choice?

the good thing about lubbock is...let me think. the weather is ok, as it is very arid. not many rainy days, but a few dust storms in the spring and fall when the farmers are turning the soil and the wind (the wind is constant) kicks up the dirt.

some of the most beautiful sunsets you'll ever see.

but no, I really don't know much about it....

edit: of that list, purdue is the best school, valpo is pretty good. san diego st and portland are the two best cities (imo) especially portland, it's beautiful.

Last edited by Mavdog; 09-07-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about business schools, but Purdue is certainly the biggest and most well known school on that list. I spent a week at the Purdue campus in high school, cool place.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That town it's in SUCKS. Pick UT if you have that option. Austin is paradise on Earth.

edit: Just saw your list.... oh well. Stay away from TTU!!!!!

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 09-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
edit: of that list, purdue is the best school, valpo is pretty good. san diego st and portland are the two best cities (imo) especially portland, it's beautiful.
I agree with Mavdog on this. And since I don't ever agree with mavdog on anything on this board, it might be significant. oh, wait - I can't say that portland is better (whew, that's almost a disagreement). In San Diego, you can learn to surf during the span of 1 semester, and it's a few minutes from Mexico.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Out of those on your list, I would probably choose Purdue. I had a friend that went there for one semester. She said she liked it, but transferred to A&M to get closer to home. It's a very well-respected school, probably the most well-respected on that list.

Depending on what your specific interests are, one of the Calstate campuses might be nice, because the weather is nice virtually year-round, and they're mostly pretty places. I don't know much about the schools, though. I had a friend that went to CSU-East Bay, but we haven't spoken in a few years.

(on a side note, I'm doing the whole exchange student thing, too, this semester - I leave for the University of Edinburgh on Friday - eek)
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tech is alot of fun. That's all I have to say. I nailed alot of chicks there without catching any STD that I didn't already have....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'd pick San Diego State just because of the location. Education speaking, Purdue would be hard to beat from that list.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Tech is not a "bad" school in the grand scheme of things, far from it. But Purdue is certainly a much more highly regarded academic institution, especially in particular areas (Engineering, Business).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
But Purdue is certainly a much more highly regarded academic institution, especially in particular areas (Engineering, Business).
Indiana, though, (I hear), is the cornfield version of Lubbock.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what your priorities are. What are your priorities?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Indiana, though, (I hear), is the cornfield version of Lubbock.
As far as Purdue is concerned, it's much, much worse than that. Imagine Lubbuck with almost No girls, and in your mind's eye you will see the girl-free desert that is Purdue at West Lafayette...

Purdue is principally known as an engineering school, and thus has an extremely high ratio of males to females, so it is a bad, bad place for a young guy to attend school if he is interested in meeting girls. Back when I attended Indiana University (a school that boasted almost 60% female attendance when I went there), I made friends with a lot of the Purdue guys who were in my fraternity because almost every weekend they would drive the 1 1/2 hours to Bloomington to party at IU rather than stay in the desert of wretched Lafayette sheerly because of the utterly terrible ratio of desirable girls to guys at their school...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 09-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM   #20
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I think chum is absolutely right, and I guess for a semester long exchange program the social aspect would be a major factor (if not the most important factor).

But, I don't know, I'm not sure I would turn down Purdue for Tech.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not all that sold on Purdue as an option, especially when we are talking about the School of Management. I say go to Tech if you want to enjoy the most beautiful women this side of Germany. If you want to see some pretty landscapes, go to one of the California schools (as close to the coast as you can get).
Old 09-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I'm not all that sold on Purdue as an option, especially when we are talking about the School of Management. I say go to Tech if you want to enjoy the most beautiful women this side of Germany. If you want to see some pretty landscapes, go to one of the California schools (as close to the coast as you can get).
My wife attended Tech for her freshman year only, and informs me that Tech is full of nothing but (manly) lesbian engineering students.

If you're looking for atmosphere, that San Diego State is the way to go. San Diego is easily one of the best places to live in the USA. It's gorgeous there.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 09-08-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #23
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
(on a side note, I'm doing the whole exchange student thing, too, this semester - I leave for the University of Edinburgh on Friday - eek)
Edinburgh is actually a pretty nice city. I went their as an exchange student in school for something like 3 months. It's pretty cold and rainy most of the time, but I mostly enjoyed it. I haven't been their in years so I don't remember any details that I could give you, though.

Quote:
the business school at tech is rated the lower than all the other major schools in the state. u of texas, smu, tx a&m, houston, baylor and ut dallas are all rated higher (in that order). do you have a choice?
That to me might be a concern for me. On the other hand this is what wiki comes up with:

"Business Week ranked Rawls College of Business as the 45th best among the nations approximately 800 public business schools.[2] In the latest U.S. News and World Report Rankings of Best Colleges, the Rawls College ranked 52nd among public university business schools."

So are these other Business Schools simply that good?

Quote:
of that list, purdue is the best school, valpo is pretty good. san diego st and portland are the two best cities (imo) especially portland, it's beautiful.
Portland seems like a very beautiful city, indeed. I do have my problems with the fact that the average age of Portland students is somewhere around 25.

San Diego would be my fist choice, if living there were not that expensive.

Quote:
some of the most beautiful sunsets you'll ever see.
That's a plus! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Tech is alot of fun. That's all I have to say. I nailed alot of chicks there without catching any STD that I didn't already have....
Thanks for the information. Was it both quality and quantity, or only quantity? Because, I'm kind of a quality guy when it comes to girls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
I'd pick San Diego State just because of the location. Education speaking, Purdue would be hard to beat from that list.
So you would also choose something like CSU Long Beach, which is pretty near to Huffington? One my mayor issues with California is that it seems pretty expensive from all that I've heard. But maybe renting a place isn't that expensive anymore now that the housing bubble has burst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
As far as Purdue is concerned, it's much, much worse than that. Imagine Lubbuck with almost No girls, and in your mind's eye you will see the girl-free desert that is Purdue at West Lafayette...

Purdue is principally known as an engineering school, and thus has an extremely high ratio of males to females, so it is a bad, bad place for a young guy to attend school if he is interested in meeting girls. Back when I attended Indiana University (a school that boasted almost 60% female attendance when I went there), I made friends with a lot of the Purdue guys who were in my fraternity because almost every weekend they would drive the 1 1/2 hours to Bloomington to party at IU rather than stay in the desert of wretched Lafayette sheerly because of the utterly terrible ratio of desirable girls to guys at their school...
From all that I heard up until your post Purdue was my new favorite. But if it really is such a boring place plus no real good social life... I don't know anymore...

Quote:
Why are you not sold on the School of Management? Do you think it's inferior to Rawls College of Business? Because that's what I found on wiki:

Krannert's undergraduate programs are ranked consistently among the world's elite, the US News and World Report (Fall 2007) placed Krannert as 3rd in Production/Operations Management, 4th in Quantitative Analysis/Methods, 10th in Supply Chain Management/Logistics, 15th in Management Information Systems, and 21st Overall.

But however that plays out, your point about social life is spot on, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
My wife attended Tech for her freshman year only, and informs me that Tech is full of nothing but (manly) lesbian engineering students.
Okay, that's a minus then. Engineering girls just don't seem to be sexy to me... :-)

Quote:
It depends on what your priorities are. What are your priorities?
Well, after thinking about it I came up with the idea that my priority is a healthy balance between social life and good education. That's pretty vague, but that's the best thing I could come up with.

Okay, so now my list is something like that

Purdue, Texas Tech, New Haven (still a favorite, they have nice courses about sport management with good guest, some NBA CEOs have been there, I heard) and some of the Calstate Universities, if living there isn't as expensive anymore.

Thanks for all you answers!

Last edited by Arne; 09-08-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:01 AM   #24
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Texas Tech has the 2nd hottest women in the entire country, according to Playboy.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If you're looking for atmosphere, that San Diego State is the way to go. San Diego is easily one of the best places to live in the USA. It's gorgeous there.
That is an enormous lie. Tech is absolutely amazing when it comes to women....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #26
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I've partied at Tech many times -- family in Lubbock and the surrounding small towns. It is an OK college, depending on what you are wanting to do. College is what you make of it.

I despised Austin when I was there, and most people LOVE UT. The partying there was fun, but it was a little more crazy and liberal than most colleges I have visited and been to.

Tech is more conservative, but not really conservative. The women are great, but they are if you go looking at most Texas schools. Education wise, it is what you make of it -- but perception is what eventually makes or breaks you on a resume.

If you are going to try and work in the North East US or internationally -- I'd think you would want to go to a Division 1 NE school. If you are going to work in the central US -- pick the central schools, and if the west -- pick the west.

If you are going to party -- Choose the San Dog. (San Diego is a great place to party)
If you are looking to get married -- choose Tech -- there are always very good looking girls who are looking to get married there.
If you are looking for business education -- pick the biggest name. That is all that really matters anyway --- that place that gets you noticed and your foot in the door.

And for those of you who think there is nothing to do in Lubbock -- you are correct, but it is kind of in the middle from OKC, the Rockies, and the Metroplex -- where there are cool things to do.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #27
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
If you are looking to get married -- choose Tech -- there are always very good looking girls who are looking to get married there..
man, he's going for a semester!
You should prioritize 1 of 2 ways.

Either go for a blurb on your resume
--> "I spent a semester at Purdue, so hire me"

or go for cultural exposure
-->"you guys want to know what the US is like? I went to Texas Tech and saw dirt farms and cows / San Diego and saw SoCal and Mexico / Portland and saw rain and mountains / CalState and saw Hollywood / Louisianna and saw Cajuns and the Gulf of Mexico . . . . "

edit - you should also make sure to go somewhere where the Mavs will be playing at some point during your stay!

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-08-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #28
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

California is still a heck of a lot more expensive than a lot of other cities, but you really can't beat the experience of living there.

Personally, I'd choose Portland, but that's just because I love the region, and I'd be studying their fabulous ecosystems.

Purdue - sounds like it can't be beat when it comes to education/name recognition (I'm not familiar with the NE schools).

May I ask where you read that about NBA CEO's going to New Haven? That's interesting.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #29
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles
California is still a heck of a lot more expensive than a lot of other cities, but you really can't beat the experience of living there.

Personally, I'd choose Portland, but that's just because I love the region, and I'd be studying their fabulous ecosystems.

Purdue - sounds like it can't be beat when it comes to education/name recognition (I'm not familiar with the NE schools).

May I ask where you read that about NBA CEO's going to New Haven? That's interesting.
The exchange students at my university have to write reports about their experience abroad and in the one regarding New Haven, I picked that up.

I don't know, I'm still not sure where to go. New Haven would be cool, because

a) its courses
b) it's near NY and I LOVE NY
c) because it's near NY, lots of friends would be able to visit me, since flights from Germany to NY are pretty cheap

Purdue would be cool, because

a) they have great reputation
b) I don't know...

Texas Tech would be cool, because

a) they have a good reputation
b) getting the "American university feeling", because it's so big
c) it seems like there'll always be a party that I could attend

Cal State Universities would be great, because

a) I love California
b) the sun
c) the Californian people

It's just a tough choice. Does anyone know a report that shows all the universities ranked and with profiles? I'd even be willing to pay a couple of bucks.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Portland is a really, really bad place to go if you're a guy interested in women. If you're a guy interested in women that look like men, then Portland is probably a decent place to go.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #31
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
The exchange students at my university have to write reports about their experience abroad and in the one regarding New Haven, I picked that up.

I don't know, I'm still not sure where to go. New Haven would be cool, because

a) its courses
b) it's near NY and I LOVE NY
c) because it's near NY, lots of friends would be able to visit me, since flights from Germany to NY are pretty cheap
I must caution you about new haven ct. it has some major issues, the area around yale is much improved since yale bought up a lot of the property and cleaned it up. but the rest of the city is, well, it can be rough.
here is s link to some stats. note the personal crime risk and property crime risk.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0952000.html

one thing no one mentioned about lubbock, and being a german I assume you like to have a beer or two: the town is dry. that means you can go to a bar and order a beer there, but you can't go to the grocery store down the street and buy a beer to drink at home. there is a road south of town (about 5 miles) where you go to buy alcoholic beveages. it's a loooong way from the tech campus. sounds rally crazy I know, but that's the way it is, and that's the way it will be.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #32
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
I must caution you about new haven ct. it has some major issues, the area around yale is much improved since yale bought up a lot of the property and cleaned it up. but the rest of the city is, well, it can be rough.
here is s link to some stats. note the personal crime risk and property crime risk.
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0952000.html

one thing no one mentioned about lubbock, and being a german I assume you like to have a beer or two: the town is dry. that means you can go to a bar and order a beer there, but you can't go to the grocery store down the street and buy a beer to drink at home. there is a road south of town (about 5 miles) where you go to buy alcoholic beveages. it's a loooong way from the tech campus. sounds rally crazy I know, but that's the way it is, and that's the way it will be.
That's some important information, since I thought about staying in New Haven itself, if I were to go there.

Plus, thinking about it I have to say that having people visit me isn't exactly the most important thing during these 6 months. I can hang out with my friends all all the years before and after the semester.

I already heard that one about Texas Tech, even though I didn't know about the five mile walk! :-)

Anyways, thank you so much for posting these details, because they changed my picture of New Haven a whole lot.

Again, does anyone know of reliable college guides that will give me all the information about all of these universities only? I saw one from U.S. News & World Report but I don't know if it's worth the 15 Bucks.

Update: I just checked the University New Haven and the report says it's actually in West Haven, which is way better when it comes to security:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0982800.html

But still, it's good to know about New Haven, which is the place where the nightlife is at.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

I have alot of family up in Connecticut. I don't know what your driving situation will be..but, if you have access to a car, I wouldn't go to a school in the northeast.

Actually, a family member coached a sport at New Haven. The area isn't the best to live in. If you don't have a car, I suppose you can get where you need to get relatively easy enough. But, if you have a car, parking can be a pain in the butt to say the least. The women up in the New Haven area aren't the prettiest either.

I don't know. If you want a great college experience, I wouldn't go to New Haven. I'd much rather go to Tech or somewhere in southern california. Personally, I don't like the people in California nearly as much as in Texas..but, that's just me.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-22-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
Does anyone know a report that shows all the universities ranked and with profiles? I'd even be willing to pay a couple of bucks.
I think USNews and world report is the most widely used.

edit - And if I might plug CA again, it's not too long a drive to Phoenix, from where you can spit on Steve Nash if your timing is right.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-09-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #35
Arne
Golden Member

Okay there's another option been added to the list:

Chapman University, Orange, California

Anything good to say about this one?

Okay so my remaining options are those:

Chapman University
Texxas Tech
CSU San Diego
CSU Eastbay
CSU (all the other campuses but it's a buerocratic proceedure, which I would like to avoid, plus they could put me into a small university somewhere very tiny...
New Haven University

Old 11-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

Never heard of Chapman. From your list I would choose UCSD, and it wouldn't be close.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Never heard of Chapman. From your list I would choose UCSD, and it wouldn't be close.
I must say I don't know much about the individual schools in question, but from a location and quality of life and experience stand point I would have to agree with Chum.

San Diego is just completely gorgeous.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I must say I don't know much about the individual schools in question, but from a location and quality of life and experience stand point I would have to agree with Chum.

San Diego is just completely gorgeous.
Feel you. I've never been to San Diego, but I'd gladly trade a half-year of my life right now to live there, based on what I've heard. And I don't even live in Germany!

Tech is a nice school, and will probably win the national championship in football this year...but it still can't help that it's in Lubbock. You certainly wouldn't want to stray far from campus! (Though, it IS a very nice campus...that I can attest to.)
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well I've been to San Diego many, many times and I can tell you that it is just a wonderful atmosphere.

Just don't go to Tijuana. There is nothing to be gained from going there.

But Coronado Island would be on my short list of places to settle on if I won the lottery for sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #40
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

From an academeic standpoint, there is a diference between UCSD and CSU-SD... so don't confuse the two in that regard.

the CSU system has a school in nearly every population center in California... and frankly any of teh coastal ones would be a decent choice. If you want to go urban... by all means, San Diego or San Fracisco are the CLEAR choices... you would love either of those cities. I have never met anyone who didn't.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote