Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #161
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
that was beautiful...you should be a writer.
He tweets frequently...or kills/hunts tweeters.

Kidd and Gortat, I'm dying to find out what happens and go from there.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #162
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was banging his head more so at you all, rather than the argument that he'd be better at Damp. Well if I were him that would have been my frustration. (i.e. There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people)

Regardless, there was a lot of banging.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #163
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Lots of guys putting imput into this thread that I would bet hasn't seen a second of Gortat, unlike Diop Gortat is very athletic, and to compare him to Okur is completly stupid. They are as opposite as you can get, Gortat's 3 biggest strengths are his bulk, athletism, defense, those are Okur's 3 biggest weaknesses, Gortat can run the floor. Yes he could bust but so could anyone else like Ariza Felton...., he has all star potential also

Last edited by mavs777; 07-03-2009 at 12:55 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #164
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I thought he was banging his head more so at you all, rather than the argument that he'd be better at Damp. Well if I were him that would have been my frustration. (i.e. There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people)

^^^ this man likes to say banging.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #165
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
You are withholding judgment EXCEPT to bang your head on your desk at the RIDICULOUS (your words, I think) that he would be better than Damp?

Way to withhold judgment, bro. How very, very openminded of you.

It's an interesting world you live in, where you "don't know what to expect" from Gortat, but you know damn skippy that it ain't gonna be good as Damp. Who's the guy with no grey area and no middle ground?

By your proclamations, it's the guy who "honestly do.not.know what to expect from Gortat." Hell, man, if you have absolutely zero clue, why are you ridiculing posters who believe he'll be better than Damp?

You need to get a hold of yourself.
Chum...seriously. This is a bit, right?

What I have taken exception to, from the beginning, is that some people consider Gortat to be better than Damp NOW. NOW! This very minute!

I have said, and will continue to say, that that notion is ridiculous. You can not make that statement about someone as inexperienced as Gortat. There is not enough evidence; not enough of a body of work.

I have never, at any point, spoken out against the notion that he might ONE DAY be better. This is a simple distinction. A very simplistic one. Which makes me think you're just doing bits here.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #166
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There's a lot of reason to bang your head with some of the crazy sh!t noobs have been saying around here the past couple days...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #167
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
They are as apposite as you can get
thank you for your insight...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-03-2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: hahaha
Old 07-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #168
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Lots of guys putting imput into this thread that I would bet hasn't seen a second of Gortat,
It's really hard to argue with....that.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #169
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
There's a lot of reason to bang your head with some of the crazy sh!t noobs have been saying around here the past couple days...
I never knew a Polish Hammer could create such a stir.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #170
sike
The Preacha

I'd just like to say that at this very second Gortat is way whiter than Damp...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #171
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ridiculous! How could anyone possibly know that!

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #172
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
its certainly NOT a lateral move. I like it. He reminds me of a tough hockey player who has some skill around the net.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #173
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, but will he be whiter over the next 5 seasons???

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #174
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

What I have taken exception to, from the beginning, is that some people consider Gortat to be better than Damp NOW. NOW! This very minute!
Anyone who watched the Finals would surely not take such a stance.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #175
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Aw c'mon. People are comparing Gortat to Calvin Booth and Jim McYlvane and I'M sucking the life force out of the move??

I was minding my own business, just me and my desk, until Chum came along and completely mis-characterized what I was even trying to say. Since then I've fallen into the pit known as "it's after 12:00 and Chum is bored". And for that I do apologize.
Poeple? Rhylan mentioned the "white" Jerome James, or Calvin Booth. Yeah, that's pretty convincing. You were the one who brought up McYlvane.

My guess is that Marcin Gortat ends up a way better player than any of those guys. You, on the other hand, seem to think that the idea that he would be better than even Damp is "RIDICULOUS," to quote you.

That's not sucking the lifeforce out of the move? You make that bold proclamation, which is in itself depressing, and expect no response?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #176
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

But they are both bald, maybe we need white bald guys like him and kidd.

Edit: Should Dirk make his hair bald? Maybe then people won't call him soft

Last edited by mavs777; 07-03-2009 at 12:58 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 AM   #177
Underdog

Quote:
That's what she said...

Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #178
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
its certainly NOT a lateral move. I like it. He reminds me of a tough hockey player who has some skill around the net.
Too bad he plays basketball.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #179
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
You, on the other hand, seem to think that the idea that he would be better than even Damp is "RIDICULOUS," to quote you.
No I haven't Chum. I'm not letting this go. I'm not letting you setup and destroy this straw man.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #180
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Polish people aren't good at hockey either, by the way.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #181
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That's what she said...
I think that I if met you...I would hate you.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #182
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Too bad he plays basketball.
BAaaaaZIng!!!! Wow, I just walked into that.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #183
Underdog

Quote:
I think that I if met you...I would hate you.
Please, stop - I can't rep you any more!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #184
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
You, on the other hand, seem to think that the idea that he would be better than even Damp is "RIDICULOUS," to quote you.
No.

He keeps saying over and over again that the idea that he's better than Damp right NOW is what he has a problem with.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #185
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Polish people aren't good at hockey either, by the way.
You, sir, obviously know nothing about the i like to call ice hockey!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #186
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BAaaaaZIng!!!! Wow, I just walked into that.
People tell me I should have been funny.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #187
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
maybe there's still time!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #188
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I have said, and will continue to say, that that notion is ridiculous. You can not make that statement about someone as inexperienced as Gortat. There is not enough evidence; not enough of a body of work.

I have never, at any point, spoken out against the notion that he might ONE DAY be better. This is a simple distinction. A very simplistic one. Which makes me think you're just doing bits here.
I tried to help you with that, with the trajectories angle. You didn't seem to want to listen to it. When do the trajectories cross? Today? Twenty games in? A season in? Five years from now? These are the questions you have to answer when you make a move such as this. You seem to want to say that TODAY is the telling point, and screw anyone who wants to look at it differently.

My own guess--though I would never bang my head on a desk if someone else held a different view--is that by the end of next season Gortat has surpassed Damp in a big way (if he's not ahead of him already).
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #189
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Anyone who watched the Finals would surely not take such a stance.
I watched some of Orlando's games before the ECF and Finals and I saw the same thing more often than not. I've read plenty of opinions of him as well with Magic fans who have seen him over the course of the year. And I caught little nuances that can translate in a good way.

It could be shot down quickly after adjusting but the guy can easily get 3-5 baskets off pick and roll alone. I'm sure Damp could get just as many if not more if he had better hands. The problem with Orlando was the guard wasn't very eager to give him the ball as he rolled into the lane...and he was open. He's gonna battle on the boards just like Damp but he has more athleticism and spring in the step and that could translate to more opportunities.

We're not battling the Nene's of the world all the time, but Gortat's foot-speed would've been appreciated in that series.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 07-03-2009 at 01:04 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #190
sike
The Preacha

Its ok that I'm a little upset that our initial off season splash was for a white center, right?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #191
Underdog

Quote:
You need to learn how to listen!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #192
Underdog

Quote:
Its ok that I'm a little upset that our initial off season splash was for a white center, right?
You Martians are racist as hell...

Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #193
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
We're not battling the Nene's of the world all the time, but Gortat's foot-speed would've been appreciated in that series.
It's hard to argue with that.

Still...I see it like this. The Mavs were close. The Mavs could stay in games with teams until the 4th quarter. A lot of teams could do that. The problem is winning time. The problem is the last 5 minutes of a game. It still is.

All this other bs...Gortat, or whatever...that's re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The Mavericks need to get players that know how to win at winning time. The Nuggets, the Lakers, the Celtics, etc...they have this other gear they go to when it's winning time and they get it done. That's what we need. I don't know how to get that, it's not my job. But that's what we need.

If I were looking at FA film...I'd tell people to bring me 4th quarter highlights exclusively.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #194
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
No.

He keeps saying over and over again that the idea that he's better than Damp right NOW is what he has a problem with.
He is not at all in a good position to determine how good Gortat is right NOW. If Gortat were better than Damp right NOW, how would he know it?

But that's not the question. The question isn't who is better right NOW. The question is how he knows that Gortat is definitely not better than Damp is right NOW.

Because, that is what he is claiming...and banging.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #195
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I tried to help you with that, with the trajectories angle. You didn't seem to want to listen to it. When do the trajectories cross? Today? Twenty games in? A season in? Five years from now? These are the questions you have to answer when you make a move such as this. You seem to want to say that TODAY is the telling point, and screw anyone who wants to look at it differently.

My own guess--though I would never bang my head on a desk if someone else held a different view--is that by the end of next season Gortat has surpassed Damp in a big way (if he's not ahead of him already).
Who's to say they ever cross Chum? There's no guarantee they do.

And I have never said today is the telling point. I haven't said screw anyone. I haven't chastised anyone for contemplating what Gortat will be in a year or two. I've been contemplating it myself a lot tonight. I've discussed Gortat's potential through PM with other posters. I'm intrigued by the move.

My only entrenched opinion in this entire thread is that he is NOT better than Damp as of today. And I found it comical that some people do. Some people even *gasp* agreed with me. That's it. That's all I said. And I'm perfectly willing to defend that position against someone that wants to argue it. That's what this board is for.

But you want to twist and change my statements into something far different. And I'm just not going to let it happen.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #196
BGMaverick9
Guru

The board usually dies down around 1130 or midnight, but tonight things have really gotten crazy.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #197
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
The board usually dies down around 1130 or midnight, but tonight things have really gotten crazy.
I don't have to work tomorrow dude...party.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #198
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I told my wife I was coming to bed over an hour and a half ago......

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #199
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I like to eat!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #200
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
It's hard to argue with that.

Still...I see it like this. The Mavs were close. The Mavs could stay in games with teams until the 4th quarter. A lot of teams could do that. The problem is winning time. The problem is the last 5 minutes of a game. It still is.

All this other bs...Gortat, or whatever...that's re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The Mavericks need to get players that know how to win at winning time. The Nuggets, the Lakers, the Celtics, etc...they have this other gear they go to when it's winning time and they get it done. That's what we need. I don't know how to get that, it's not my job. But that's what we need.

If I were looking at FA film...I'd tell people to bring me 4th quarter highlights exclusively.
That person would say get your own damn 4th quarter highlights.

But like you said for mine...It's hard to argue with what you said.

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?