Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The f'ing left

mcsluggo's reply in the "Democrats are so patriotic" thread and the recent bruhaha over Edwards' bloggers had me thinking: are people on the left really that crass?

Apparantly, I'm not the only one.

http://newsbuckit.blogspot.com/2007/...er-say-on.html

Seven words you can never say on television"... but which are said on the Internet. A lot.
a post written by Patrick Ishmael
Posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 @ 8:15 PM
Talk about potty-mouths.

The Net's not always a kid-friendly place; there is plenty of foul language out there. And of course, the blogosphere is no different.

But how different are the Rightosphere and Leftosphere when it comes to "dirty" language? Which side produces the most profanity-laced diatribes? Via Instapundit, I happened upon this interesting challenge from InstaPunk:

I propose an exercise to be performed by those who have the software and expertise to carry it out. The exercise is this: Search six months' worth of content, posts and comments, of the 20 most popular blogs on the right and the left. The search criteria are George Carlin's infamous '7 Dirty Words.' [Click this link for the list of expletives.]

And this is what I found, using what I deemed -- through a mix of TTLB and 2006's Weblog Award lists -- to be the 18 biggest Lefty blogs, and 22 biggest Righty blogs. I couldn't account for the 6-month time period, and I even gave the Lefty blogs a 4 blog advantage. But it didn't make much of a difference.

So how much more does the Left use Carlin's "seven words" versus the Right? According to my calculations, try somewhere in the range of 18-to-1.

Yowsers.

How did I get this result? I searched Google using the following format and recorded the page results that were returned:

site:xyz.com "search term 1" OR "search term 2" OR "search term 3"...

Nine search terms total -- the seven profanities as single words, and two of those as their own two-word variations. I then added the individual site results together and compared them. The results are below.

Of course... is anyone surprised? Barring some mass programming shenanigans on the part of Right blogospheric bloggers, this pretty well fits, and goes beyond, the predictions most of us would have made.

Feel free to replicate the experiment and send your results, or if you have a refinement to the method or blog lists, send those, too. We're always willing to add to the profanity data bank.

And of course, this isn't scientific. But hey, it's pretty @*%#$&! close.

(Cross-posted at Gateway Pundit.)

Labels: blogosphere
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

HA! thats f***ing rich!
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

An update.. Timely stuff UL.

Quote:
Update @ 9:16am: Great point by reader Joe.

What? No Democratic Underground? No IndyMedia? No FreeRepublic? No Townhall? No FrontPageMag?

And thus, the numbers:

* Democratic Underground: 947,000
* IndyMedia: 206,000
* FreeRepublic: 4010
* TownHall.com (minus HH blog): 156
* FrontPageMag: 11,800

It only gets worse... 1537788-to-37285. 41-to-1. Holy mackeral.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

First of all, who freakin' cares? Second of all, these are BLOGS! The majority of bloggers are wannabe journalists who never made the cut in school or at the paper they applied at. The majority of bloggers are HACKS who don't do any research into their topics, besides what can be found on these here intrawebs. They conduct "interviews" by email, and rarely leave their desks/laptop stands. They use other Bloggers as references to support their arguments. Again, they are wannabe hacks. Both on the left and the right.

Last edited by big_pth; 03-01-2007 at 12:46 PM.
big_pth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pth
First of all, who freakin' cares? Second of all, these are BLOGS! The majority of bloggers are wannabe journalists who never made the cut in school or at the paper they applied at. The majority of bloggers are HACKS who don't do any research into their topics, besides what can be found on these here intrawebs. They conduct "interviews" by email, and rarely leave their desks/laptop stands. They use other Bloggers as references to support their arguments. Again, they are wannabe hacks. Both on the left and the right.
As opposed to "real" journalists right? I think you are underestimating citizen journalists.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious how do you think we should interpret these results?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Liberals f***ing curse a s***load more than p***y f***ing d***head conservatives with their g****mned sphinkter tightening heads up their s**t covered a**holes.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

this is so easy to understand, the right is too uptight to allow themselves to freely express their opinions with the color and emphasis that profanity affords....
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
As opposed to "real" journalists right? I think you are underestimating citizen journalists.
Uh...no...I am not. 95% of Bloggers do not answer to editors. They don't have fact checkers. They don't have to have what they are going to throw up on their blog checked and then approved by someone else. They can just throw whatever crap they want against the wall and see if it sticks. There is little to no accountability in the "blogosphere." And yes, a REAL journalist will go out and do the interviews, do the leg work. They have other people check the facts before it is allowed out.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Adios, mofo.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pth
Uh...no...I am not. 95% of Bloggers do not answer to editors. They don't have fact checkers. They don't have to have what they are going to throw up on their blog checked and then approved by someone else. They can just throw whatever crap they want against the wall and see if it sticks. There is little to no accountability in the "blogosphere." And yes, a REAL journalist will go out and do the interviews, do the leg work. They have other people check the facts before it is allowed out.
Dan Rather, Eason Jordan, Lawrence Odonnel, George Galloway.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mcsluggo again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Liberals f***ing curse a s***load more than p***y f***ing d***head conservatives with their g****mned sphinkter tightening heads up their s**t covered a**holes.
even tho i hate all the f***ing profanity that masks the s***-for-brains stupidity of the typical blog/i-net post, etc....

i do ever-so-f***ing much enjoy a good retort.

cheers
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #13
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I'm not trying to make an argument against the thesis that there's more swearing on the left's pages, but since I consider myself on the left, it'd be cool to see the numbers on the left pages I actually visit.

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://democracynow.org/
http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm

Maybe they're just not considered blogs.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzburgBorn
I'm not trying to make an argument against the thesis that there's more swearing on the left's pages, but since I consider myself on the left, it'd be cool to see the numbers on the left pages I actually visit.

http://www.commondreams.org/
http://democracynow.org/
http://www.zmag.org/weluser.htm

Maybe they're just not considered blogs.
Give it a shot, Wurzburg. Here's what Patrick Ishmael did:
"How did I get this result? I searched Google using the following format and recorded the page results that were returned:

site:xyz.com "search term 1" OR "search term 2" OR "search term 3"...

Nine search terms total -- the seven profanities as single words, and two of those as their own two-word variations. I then added the individual site results together and compared them. The results are below."

Those sites you mentioned may not have been at his sources, "TTLB and 2006's Weblog Award." It would probably be worth it to run the searches, though, and post the results as a comment on his blog.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
big_pth
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Dan Rather, Eason Jordan, Lawrence Odonnel, George Galloway.
Rather and Jordan quit because they screwed up. That doesn't make all journalist liars. If you think four examples of journalists making mistakes proves that all bloggers are 100% truthful and are just as reliable as respected journalists, then I will cease trying to discuss this with you as I doubt anything will change your mind.