Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough
Default Letting Nash Go a Mistake or the Right Move?

It's way too early to tell, but what does everyone think? Don't just give a knee-jerk or emotional response. Nash seems to be doing EXTREMELY well in Phoenix; even better than he did in Dallas.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2004, 09:38 PM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Letting Nash Go a Mistake or the Right Move?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Turkey
The reason why he is doing well is because phoenix is not dallas.
can you get rid your disgusting signature? were you the same guy that had the finger coming out of the eye??
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:48 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Letting Nash Go a Mistake or the Right Move?

Quote:
can you get rid your disgusting signature?
I second that.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Isn't there several threads on this subject? Why start another?
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
I second that.

A strong third.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:52 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dirkenstien
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Quote:
I second that.

A strong third.
Turkey, I like horror movies as much you probably, but I don't like to see random shots of one when I'm reading about the Mavs. Could you please kindly change it to something less likely to make people lose their lunch?
Old 11-22-2004, 03:10 AM   #7
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

mistake
Old 11-22-2004, 03:10 AM   #8
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

cuban saved money but the team has clearly suffered.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

if we didn't lose nash

we'd still have the more refreshed, "better than ever" nash (very happy with the contract)

we could have traded delk and walker for a PF, a 4!! cause we'd have nash and daniels we wouldn't need terry and henderson.... SHAREEF ABDUR RAHEEM anyone??

the forston - booth trade would have been excusable, or better yet we could have gotten 1st draft picks, instead of this freak!

and josh howard, won't struggle as much as he has someone to set him up

we'd have two sharpshooters in nash and nowitzki

devin harris will learn from THE BEST

and everyone on the team should theoretically do better. (see phoenix's offense, nash made all of them look real good)

given all these... yep... bad move cubes!! very bad move!

our possible line up by february if fortson were to stay

C - Dampier/Bradley/Mbenga/ Podkolzin
PF - Abdur Rahim/Forston
SF - Nowitzki(big german shootin on the little guys!)/ (scramble of Stack, and Jho)
SG - Finley/ Scramble of (daniels/stack/ Jho)
PG - Nash/ (scramble of Harris and daniels)
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

No way to make that determination until after at least the 3rd year, unless one or the other of these two teams wins it all.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #11
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

mistake
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

of course mistake
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

We can't live in the past. Why is this even a topic? It doesn't matter if it were a mistake or not, the only pg we should be worried about right now is Harris, and maybe Terry.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Am I the only dallas fan that isn't a W-O-O-O-O-S?

Trading steve nash wasn't a mistake at all. Until we learn how to play team ball and have better player movement, which doesn't seem likely under Neslon, A good pg is of no use. And by the way. Steve sucks defensively. So if you add it up, we actually gained by trading him.
wow! if only we DID TRADE him... no... we lost him for NOTHING!!
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

It's too early to tell but as of right now it doesn't look like a mistake. Lately when I look at the Suns boxscore I see them giving up 100+ occasionally. Last night I believe they gave up 110. That looked all too familiar for me.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #16
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Azn_Baller101
Quote:
Am I the only dallas fan that isn't a W-O-O-O-O-S?

Trading steve nash wasn't a mistake at all. Until we learn how to play team ball and have better player movement, which doesn't seem likely under Neslon, A good pg is of no use. And by the way. Steve sucks defensively. So if you add it up, we actually gained by trading him.
wow! if only we DID TRADE him... no... we lost him for NOTHING!!

Hahahaha, yeah, Nash WAS NOT traded...he just left.

As far as I can tell, this is a GOOD thing right now. I love both Steve and Dirk. They are my most favorite players in NBA. I am very happy for Nash right now 'cause he, Amare and Marion are doing an excellent job there. Nash needs athletic players to finish his assists. I remember in last playoff games, Mavs missed many easy inside shots because 1.) they weren't tall enough 2.) they are not as strong as Amare and Marion. As a Steve fan, I think this is a smart move.

As a Dirk fan, just like what Nelson said, it's time for Dirk to step up. It's time for Dirk to learn how to make great passes. It's time for Dirk to be a leader and learn the process of becoming a leader. Finely is old and Dirk will have to be the one that controls the team.

Mavs' offense is great if 1.) the other can't guard Nash 2.) the other can't play fast-pace style 3.) Mavs is shooting well. I watched quite a few Mavs games last year and I have to say that no Point Guard in the league has the ball 90% of the time when he is on the court. Nash basically is the general on the team and when he's tired or just having a bad night, the team usually fails. This is not good for a playoff team because Mavs is usually the worst in 4th quarter (that's when Nash starts to show signs of fatique). lol

Mavs has more than enough talented players right now. They just need to learn how to play as a TEAM and I am sure they'll pass the first round playoff or even 2nd round. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That's not get greedy here...hehehehe

Overall, this is a good situation for both Steve and Dirk!

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:41 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

old news.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

dp

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #19
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Short term hurts some, long term, a great move. Harris is going to be a great player, Dirk is going to rise, Nellie needs to stopped being possessed by the ghost of Rudy Tomjanavic circa 2000 because his offense sucks right now. Just one on one ball. Need to go Princeton 50% of the time and the rest run plays for dirk, or set him up.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:33 PM   #20
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

Steve, I miss you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:55 PM   #21
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Good move. We can actually defend opposing PGs now. Cassell has 0 assists and 4 turnovers tonight. Once Harris' shot comes around you guys will be in as much love with the kids talent as some of us already are.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #22
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

The good thing is the possibility of them both being All Star Starters! Right now they should get most votes...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #23
ZueriMav

ZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really niceZueriMav is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl
Steve, I miss you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Try here There is a higher probability to find him.
ZueriMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #24
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Nash is going to play as well as he does for atleast 2 to 3 years more. The gamble for paying would be beyond those years.

Devin Harris is also a gamble, but the early returns look promising, and his upside is way beyond 2 to 3 years.

I love Nash, but paying him the amount of money Phoenix did for 6 years is too much IMO.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #25
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

I just have to bring this back up. Yes it was a mistake ans it shows. Nash is averaging 11 assists per game, 16 point per game. Then you look at us, still trying to recover with 1 average vet pg and a rookie trying to find himself. Then we bring in armstrong, clearly it was a mistake to let him go, the question is can we turn it around.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:58 AM   #26
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Everyone knew the Mavs would suffer this season from letting Nash go. The real question is in a few years from now when Nash has YEARS left on his contract and can barely play.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #27
TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 will become famous soon enoughTwoDeep3 will become famous soon enough

And with Dirk taking over the scoring lead as of last night, and number 5 in rebounds, there has been a silver lining to the defection of Steve Cash.

Defense and this becoming Dirk's team and he becoming the player he can be is a positive without question.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 PM   #28
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
No way to make that determination until after at least the 3rd year, unless one or the other of these two teams wins it all.
I agree that it will take time to see if it was a good move. We may not get a good picture of how good or not good Harris will be until his 3rd year. Remember it took Nash quite a while to become good when he got to Dallas. I can definitely say that we are hurting now on offense from not having Nash. I also feel that we are much better defensively without Nash. IMO we would have had a better record right now if we had kept Nash because he would have provided more continutity. However the Mavs goal is not to win more games in November and December, it is to win more games in May and June. Nash looks fantastic right now. How will he look come May?

Also would Dirk have blossomed as he has this year with Nash? Maybe or maybe not. One thing is for sure, is that the Mavs are clearly Dirk's team now. And IMO that is their very best shot at winning a title because it allows them to maximize one of the most uniquely talented players ever in the NBA.

I miss Nash every time I see a bumbling effort on offense resulting in a stupid turnover. I miss him whenever I see us struggling to run or screw up a break because there is skilled PG to run it. However I don't miss Nash when I see us holding our opponents under 100 on most every night. I don't miss him when I see us holding the opponents under 42% shooting. I don't miss him when I see the ball going through Dirk more than ever.

You don't replace a superb offensive talent like Nash overnight. However I still feel the Mavs best chance at winning a championship is by replacing Nash. Time will tell, but it's much too early to make a final judgement one way or another right now.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #29
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
I agree that it will take time to see if it was a good move. We may not get a good picture of how good or not good Harris will be until his 3rd year. Remember it took Nash quite a while to become good when he got to Dallas. I can definitely say that we are hurting now on offense from not having Nash. I also feel that we are much better defensively without Nash. IMO we would have had a better record right now if we had kept Nash because he would have provided more continutity. However the Mavs goal is not to win more games in November and December, it is to win more games in May and June. Nash looks fantastic right now. How will he look come May?

Also would Dirk have blossomed as he has this year with Nash? Maybe or maybe not. One thing is for sure, is that the Mavs are clearly Dirk's team now. And IMO that is their very best shot at winning a title because it allows them to maximize one of the most uniquely talented players ever in the NBA.

I miss Nash every time I see a bumbling effort on offense resulting in a stupid turnover. I miss him whenever I see us struggling to run or screw up a break because there is skilled PG to run it. However I don't miss Nash when I see us holding our opponents under 100 on most every night. I don't miss him when I see us holding the opponents under 42% shooting. I don't miss him when I see the ball going through Dirk more than ever.

You don't replace a superb offensive talent like Nash overnight. However I still feel the Mavs best chance at winning a championship is by replacing Nash. Time will tell, but it's much too early to make a final judgement one way or another right now.
Couldn't agree more.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

You just have to search your honest self and decide if you think better defense on the perimeter and better defense all-the-way around will be worth it in the end. There is no doubt in my mind that our perimeter defense is better, but if we had damp AND nash...Yea, i'd rather have that.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #31
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

right move. no way you could give nash that much money.

we will find out in 3 years.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #32
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Why didnt Cuban just tell him he is the future... blah blah blah and sign him for the big money? Then after playing well till the allstar break, trade him for someone.

I dont know why he just let him go.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #33
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Azn_Baller101
if we didn't lose nash

we'd still have the more refreshed, "better than ever" nash (very happy with the contract)

we could have traded delk and walker for a PF, a 4!! cause we'd have nash and daniels we wouldn't need terry and henderson.... SHAREEF ABDUR RAHEEM anyone??

the forston - booth trade would have been excusable, or better yet we could have gotten 1st draft picks, instead of this freak!

and josh howard, won't struggle as much as he has someone to set him up

we'd have two sharpshooters in nash and nowitzki

devin harris will learn from THE BEST

and everyone on the team should theoretically do better. (see phoenix's offense, nash made all of them look real good)

given all these... yep... bad move cubes!! very bad move!

our possible line up by february if fortson were to stay

C - Dampier/Bradley/Mbenga/ Podkolzin
PF - Abdur Rahim/Forston
SF - Nowitzki(big german shootin on the little guys!)/ (scramble of Stack, and Jho)
SG - Finley/ Scramble of (daniels/stack/ Jho)
PG - Nash/ (scramble of Harris and daniels)
You are very mistaken. If we would have signed nash we probably wouldnt have gone after Dampier and i seriously doubt portland would want walker over reef