Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #281
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Houston @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Quote:
As for the coaches, I still can't understand why Stack has to take the final shot (and a jumper at that!) when Dirk's been unstoppable the whole game and Yao Ming was fouled out. We lead the whole game to again make it close on some stupid coaching mistakes at the end of the regulation.
I can see why Dirk wouldn't get the final shot, the Rockets would double team him. However I would loved to have seen Dirk get the ball closer to the basket and force the double team and pass out to the open man or to have the ball swung to the open man rather than the isolation play for Stackhouse.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #282
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Houston @ Dallas Gameday Thread

Quote:
I can see why Dirk wouldn't get the final shot, the Rockets would double team him. However I would loved to have seen Dirk get the ball closer to the basket and force the double team and pass out to the open man or to have the ball swung to the open man rather than the isolation play for Stackhouse.
That is because when the Mavs got the rebound, Nellie didn't call a time out. The Mavs were forced to run up court without a set play. Dirk got the ball at the 3 point line and he had intentions on shooting it. But he was quickly doubled and was forced to pass to Stackhouse. It worked out in OT but that last play was the result of poor coaching.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #283
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
That is because when the Mavs got the rebound, Nellie didn't call a time out. The Mavs were forced to run up court without a set play. Dirk got the ball at the 3 point line and he had intentions on shooting it. But he was quickly doubled and was forced to pass to Stackhouse. It worked out in OT but that last play was the result of poor coaching.
You won't really get an argument from me over that. Nellie has driven me nuts with his refusal to call timeouts late in games to set up a shot for several years now.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 PM   #284
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Dirk's second best performance was 46 points... not 43 which is written everywhere.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 PM   #285
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

wasn't this clarified in the two pages previous. 43 was his previous season high. He had a 46 in at least one playoff game.

All of that is moot now, because he has set a new regular season and post-season high.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #286
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
As for the coaches, I still can't understand why Stack has to take the final shot (and a jumper at that!) when Dirk's been unstoppable the whole game and Yao Ming was fouled out. We lead the whole game to again make it close on some stupid coaching mistakes at the end of the regulation.
Ideally I'd like to see Dirk getting the ball on the perimeter, keep it until 4 or 5 seconds left and either step back a little for a jumper or drive in for a layup/foul. If on his jumper attempt, he gets doubled, then he should pass to the guy cutting to the rim (usually the one who's left open by the doubling guy). And if Dirk doesn't pass but just shoots anyway, we need Damp & JHo cutting to the rim for an offensive rebound & put back in one motion as time expires.

I'm tired of seeing second tier players on this team taking the ball, dribbling until time expires and then either fumble or throw up a lame jumper. Dirk is 7' and universally accepted as an unstoppable, offensive force. It's just insane for him to not take control of the last possession. I'd say we have a 60-40 chance with the ball in Dirk's hands and 30-70 chance with the ball in anyone else's hands as Refs are loathe to call a foul on the last possession.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #287
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Quote:
You won't really get an argument from me over that. Nellie has driven me nuts with his refusal to call timeouts late in games to set up a shot for several years now.
I agree with both of you on this. Nellie's time-out policy is ridiculous. We could be sitting on a 15 point lead and he doesn't call a timeout until we lose the entire lead. That's just crazy. I've been observing this since the infamous game where we lost a 27 point lead in the 4th quarter to the Lakers. Popovich on the other hand uses his timeouts to stop the other teams momentum regardless of how much his team is leading or trailing by.

Another pet peeve of mine with Nellie is, why does he allow players to shoot long jumpers with several seconds left on the clock, late in the 4th quarter especially when we're leading (Minnesota game comes to mind). *sigh*
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote