Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 AM   #921
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I wish I were a better person, but I sincerely wish Paul George style leg injuries on both of DeAndre'e legs.

Whether we tank to try to keep the pick this season or not, the Dirk era of Mavs basketball is now over, and DeAndre firmly and rudely shut the door on it.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #922
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

This hurts. Tried not to post anything earlier when things were hot. But damn...

Still have faith in the Mavs tho.

MFFL

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM   #923
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I can't believe that people would put any blame on Cuban right now...
Have you been watching the last 4 years of off-seasons? Have you watched him waste 4 years of Dirk? Do you recall blowing up a title team for a ridiculous and ill-conceived pipe dream based on a misunderstanding of how the new CBA would work? We are only in this position of having our entire future hinging on DJ's mood swings b/c of the last 4 years of roster management.

DJ put the final nail in the coffin, but Cuban and Donnie gave him the hammer.

Last edited by Wang Zhi Zhi; 07-09-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #924
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

D-enial, A-nger, B-argaining, D-epression, A-cceptance...

I think i just went through all of it in one day. Whew...that was tiring.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:02 AM   #925
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Guys, I had the craziest dream last night that DeAndre Jordan stabbed us in the back by staying in LA... But obviously he didn't do that because he had a verbal agreement with our front office, and NOBODY goes back on a verbal agreement in this league.

Thank goodness it was just a bad dream and everything is back to normal today.......

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-09-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #926
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

I KNEW Cuban would address that bullshit tweet by Broussard

"This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. If you had any ethics you would message me and I'd give you his address"
Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #927
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What should happen... When the Clips come in to town, the Mavs should hand out paper brown bags... The fans should go to the restroom and take a dump in the bag and then throw it at Deandre Jordan.... Or maybe just dump it on his head...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #928
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I agree with fluid.
Mark Cuban was absolutely wrong about what the consequences of the CBA would be. And that was a big, costly mistake. But even so, it's not like he let free agents go because he didn't want to fork over the money. His actions were guided by a sincere desire to get Dirk the best shot possible at another championship. He made a mistake. Then he realized it and corrected course. And the acquisitions of Chandler Parsons and Wes Matthews showed that he had learned from his mistake and was trying to fill the roster with young talented assets to try to attract great players to Dallas. And without DeAndre's re-decision, we are all now talking about how quickly Mark corrected the ship and built for a brighter future.

Mark has made mistakes. But I still think he is one of the best owner in professional sports. And this offseason, he made gutsy calls to move the Mavs toward acquiring a couple of talented players who would have likely made the team competitive again.

To take the result of DeAndre's cowardice and use it to fit the narrative of Mark Cuban failing is to relieve DeAndre Jordan of some of the blame he deserves for the way he carried himself throughout this process, how he held the Mavs hostage for 5 days as free agents committed elsewhere, and how he shaped for the worse the Mavericks franchise over the next half decade to decade.

Even as the national media paints this whole affair as a feel-good story of "Sigh. DeAndre just needed to know how much his friends and family loved him and needed him. That's sweet!" , I hope Mark Cuban is able to find a way to sue the Clippers and the NBA, as unlikely as a successful suit might be.

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 07-09-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #929
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

I'm just not quite sure how to feel this morning.

It sucks being punched in the nuts by DJ. It did prove that he is going to be alright being the 4th option in LA, which meant he didn't have the spine or mind to be a #1 like Dirk has been for the last 15 years. I know some will say "dude, you're just in denial about the whole situation" but after getting some sleep, I honestly can't say that I am. Mark Followills' tweets yesterday pretty much set my opinion about Jordan straight. He's is not, and will never be a franchise guy. He was so easily manipulated by Rivers and his cast of butt buddies, that how the hell could a guy like that ever carry the torch for a franchise? And as a fan, would we really want to invest our future in a guy like that?

Now, none of what I said above makes the ramifications of our abortion of an offseason any better. This shit was dark and we are likely going to be stuck in a spiral of true mediocrity for a long time. Cuban said today that Matthews is sticking around. I'm happy about this that the guy seems very stand up and legit. There's another side of me that's like "fuck, this means that we could be hanging around a 9-10 seed in the West which would make us just slightly good enough to not qualify for good picks".

I AM over Jordan and am at peace with the fact that he's a bottom bitch and truly feel he will never blossom into franchise material. I am fine with letting Ellis go. I am not mad at letting Tyson go because Cuban didn't know Jordan was going to be a punk ass bitch. That doesn't make it hurt any less that with all this extra cap space we probably could have kept Chandler. I would have been alright letting Ellis go, keeping Chandler then having a butt ton of money to go after other assets (maybe not this year, but eventually).

In summary, our situation sucks, but I'm over DJ. I do subscribe to the idea that we dodged a bullet with him. It's just super shitty that this couldn't have happened 5 days ago. The situation is what it is. And yes, we need to all accept that Dirk and Rick's days with us are VERY limited. This is the reality moving forward and we need to start preparing for it.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-09-2015 at 09:20 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #930
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
I agree with fluid.
Mark Cuban was absolutely wrong about what the consequences of the CBA would be. And that was a big, costly mistake. But even so, it's not like he let free agents go because he didn't want to fork over the money. His actions were guided by a sincere desire to get Dirk the best shot possible at another championship. He made a mistake. Then he realized it and corrected course. And the acquisitions of Chandler Parsons and Wes Matthews showed that he had learned from his mistake and was trying to fill the roster with young talented assets to try to attract great players to Dallas. And without DeAndre's re-decision, we are all now talking about how quickly Mark corrected the ship and built for a brighter future.

Mark has made mistakes. But I still think he is one of the best owner in professional sports. And this offseason, he made gutsy calls to move the Mavs toward acquiring a couple of talented players who would have likely made the team competitive again.

To take the result of DeAndre's cowardice and use it to fit the narrative of Mark Cuban failing is to relieve DeAndre Jordan of some of the blame he deserves for the way he carried himself throughout this process, how he held the Mavs hostage for 5 days as free agents committed elsewhere, and how he shaped for the worse the Mavericks franchise over the next half decade to decade.

Even as the national media paints this whole affair as a feel-good story of "Sigh. DeAndre just needed to know how much his friends and family loved him and needed him. That's sweet!" , I hope Mark Cuban is able to find a way to sue the Clippers and the NBA, as unlikely as a successful suit might be.
Cuban has made plenty of mistakes over the years, some of them very costly, and he does deserve his share of the blame for the terrible position the Mavs are in now- however, by ANY reasonable standard, he is absolutely one of the most successful owners in all of sports over the last 15 years.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #931
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Fuck him. Not a man!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #932
bunkmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Cuban has made plenty of mistakes over the years, some of them very costly, and he does deserve his share of the blame for the terrible position the Mavs are in now- however, by ANY reasonable standard, he is absolutely one of the most successful owners in all of sports over the last 15 years.
I guess I can't really disagree with any of that.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #933
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Guys, I had the craziest dream last night that DeAndre Jordan stabbed us in the back by staying in LA... But obviously he didn't do that because he had a verbal agreement with our front office, and NOBODY goes back on a verbal agreement in this league.

Thank goodness it was just a bad dream and everything is back to normal today.......
I had a dream that we signed Vinny Del Negro...so.....yeeeeah.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #934
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Free agent circus ends with Jordan back in LA, league looking foolish

Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #935
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkmoreland View Post
I agree with fluid.

Cuban is committed to his plan, he's not one month, I'm this and the next month completely changes course. This has been a 4 year plan, and in reality a crap shoot. You look at other franchises, they buy buy buy....Brooklyn and when the plan fails, they can't climb out because they're restricted by the CBA as a repeat tax payer.....Cuban has avoided that, he can move freely each summer...does this piece work...no, what about this, no....I think one of the areas Cuban has failed to address is the draft, hopefully Justin Anderson is the start of laying a new foundation.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #936
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

So let Rick walk (since he doesn't play well with developing talent), give Dirk a buyout, go younger and go after someone like Scott Brooks? Not ideal, but we really need to start having this conversation.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #937
bunkmoreland

That article. Great take!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #938
bunkmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
I think one of the areas Cuban has failed to address is the draft, hopefully Justin Anderson is the start of laying a new foundation.
Yeah, I am hoping for that too.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM   #939
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. Probably Berger's best article. He actually has a brain unlike the mentally retarded Broussard.

The fans definitely lose because we invest our emotions into a 26 year old who cries to mommy about which max contract he should take...Dallas or LA. Tough, tough life. Good thing I quickly got off that bandwagon early yesterday and said Jordan wasn't worth it. He can have a full season of Paul bitching at him for being the moron that he is. Carlisle would have broken Jordan in the first week. No way he could have handled a real coach.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #940
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Plan powder pissed away the remainder of Dirk's career. No one knows what would have happened if the Mavs would have brought back some of the championship team..but now we do know what happened when you made the decision to not bring it back.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #941
Erod

Erod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these partsErod is infamous around these parts

The NBA is loving this.

Watching this petulant child of an owner wallow in irrelevance for the next half decade will warm their hearts for a long time. This accidental billionaire isn't welcome in the owner's club.

His resume of failure is impressive.

- Never signed a targeted big-name free agent yet.

- Ran off Steve Nash before his league MVP years.

- Stumbled upon a formula thanks to OKC backing out on Tyson Chandler, then refused to re-sign him after a magical season.

- Massively overpaid Chandler Parsons in a pissing match with Houston.

- Ran Chandler off again, as well as Aminu.

- Not a single standout draft pick during his tenure.

One lucky magic carpet ride on Dirk's back doesn't excuse Cuban's massive miscalculations and his defiant condescendence.

It's quite obvious Mr. Shark Tank couldn't get an offer on his own show.
Erod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #942
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Plan powder pissed away the remainder of Dirk's career. No one knows what would have happened if the Mavs would have brought back some of the championship team..but now we do know what happened when you made the decision to not bring it back.
The Mavs pissed away Dirk's ENTIRE career

How many years have we looked for a legit 2nd star? Everyone made a big thing of how Lebron overcame his team's lack of stars to contend in the NBA finals. Hell, Dirk had that roster for his entire career. He overcame that AND the stacked West to win a title

Dirk is the anti-Lebron and I like it
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #943
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was always pretty adamant that it was worth the risk to let Chandler walk because I thought simply bringing back that roster would just guarantee mediocrity. In some ways I still feel that way, because I don't think we could have gotten back in the title picture and I think we would ultimately be in the same place we are now... However, seeing where we are now, even I can't argue that it was anything other than a total disaster. I think the lesson here for teams everywhere is don't ever gamble your future on hopes of signing a big free agent- especially now that verbal commitments are apparently meaningless.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #944
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
I was always pretty adamant that it was worth the risk to let Chandler walk because I thought simply bringing back that roster would just guarantee mediocrity. In some ways I still feel that way, because I don't think we could have gotten back in the title picture and I think we would ultimately be in the same place we are now... However, seeing where we are now, even I can't argue that it was anything other than a total disaster. I think the lesson here for teams everywhere is don't ever gamble your future on hopes of signing a big free agent- especially now that verbal commitments are apparently meaningless.
Maybe, but if DJ wasn't a bitch and signed his contract with us, the lesson would be go ahead and take the risk, it worked out (maybe). Of course, I'm convinced this guy wasn't a #1 option for any team anyway, so who knows.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-09-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #945
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
Maybe, but if DJ wasn't a bitch and signed his contract with us, the lesson would be go ahead and take the risk, it worked out (maybe).
Very true. It seems odd to me that people are somehow connecting this disaster to the decision not re-sign Tyson Chandler four fucking years ago. I don't see any correlation between the two events whatsoever.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #946
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

How many years have we looked for a legit 2nd star? Everyone made a big thing of how Lebron overcame his team's lack of stars to contend in the NBA finals. Hell, Dirk had that roster for his entire career. He overcame that AND the stacked West to win a title

Remember right before Walker and Jamison were brought in? The half season directly before, Dirk was arguably one of the top 3 players in the NBA. The Mavs brought in Jamison and Walker and completed pissed away a season.. Dirk took a slight step back...was horrific to watch
Old 07-09-2015, 10:19 AM   #947
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post

Lebron has had the benefit of playing in a bad conference his entire career. He's never once had to lead his team through a difficult conference to make it to the Finals.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #948
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Very true. It seems odd to me that people are somehow connecting this disaster to the decision not re-sign Tyson Chandler four fucking years ago. I don't see any correlation between the two events whatsoever.
Except that we let Chandler walk again in hopes of signing someone else? We had a re-do button we could have pushed and instead went for Jordan.

I agree that talking about blowing up the championship team is a moot point, but at least the Chandler factor is certainly relevant.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #949
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think that is an overstatement. Or at least, it depends on generous definition of terms. He was handed a golden goose, for one thing, and he does business in a very, very favorable market (perhaps one of the most favorable markets in all of sports, to counter your superlative). But it's hard to point to any one initiative of his on the roster-building front that has borne a whole lot of fruit. In fact, you'd actually have to look at one thing that he deserves a lot of credit for -- being an early adopter of analytics -- and use it against him. In other words, how could someone with so much "smart" data continue to show so little for it?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #950
Murphy3
Guru

Cuban was handed the golden goose. He was handed a young team with three guys that were about to come into their own.. One of them being a top 15 player all time.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #951
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Except that we let Chandler walk again in hopes of signing someone else? We had a re-do button we could have pushed and instead went for Jordan.

I agree that talking about blowing up the championship team is a moot point, but at least the Chandler factor is certainly relevant.
So Cuban is an idiot for not re-signing Chandler this year? That would have kept us competitive? That was a better option than "swinging for the fences?"

I don't see how it is relevant, other than it just happens to be the same person who walked, especially considering he's four years older now and has noticeably declined.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 07-09-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #952
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I think that is an overstatement. Or at least, it depends on generous definition of terms. He was handed a golden goose, for one thing, and he does business in a very, very favorable market (perhaps one of the most favorable markets in all of sports, to counter your superlative). But it's hard to point to any one initiative of his on the roster-building front that has borne a whole lot of fruit. In fact, you'd actually have to look at one thing that he deserves a lot of credit for -- being an early adopter of analytics -- and use it against him. In other words, how could someone with so much "smart" data continue to show so little for it?
I agree that Cuban was handed a golden goose, but ALL successful franchises are dependent on "golden gooses," especially in the NBA. You can argue that he didn't do anything special to accomplish it, but the fact is, it did happen under his ownership. Facts are facts, and the records are what they are. Ojectively, his track record absolutely is- by ANY reasonable standard- one of the more successful records in all of American sports over the last 15 years.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #953
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
What should happen... When the Clips come in to town, the Mavs should hand out paper brown bags... The fans should go to the restroom and take a dump in the bag and then throw it at Deandre Jordan.... Or maybe just dump it on his head...
I do not recommend anyone bring their children to this game. I'm not sure at what point they chuck you for language/heckling, but I'm sure I'll get it. I'm guessing I won't be alone.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM   #954
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
So Cuban is an idiot for not re-signing Chandler this year? That would have kept us competitive? That was a better option that "swinging for the fences?"

I don't see how it is relevant, other than it just happens to be the same person who walked, especially considering he's four years older now and has noticeably declined.
Well, currently, we'd are sure as shit better with Tyson Chandler than without him. Not really sure how that is an arguable point. I get why they went after Jordan, but the negative impact if he didn't choose us would be rather huge. The gamble obviously didn't pay off.

I never said Cuban was an idiot btw, but thanks for making things up.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #955
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Well, currently, we'd are sure as shit better with Tyson Chandler than without him. Not really sure how that is an arguable point. I get why they went after Jordan, but the negative impact if he didn't choose us would be rather huge. The gamble obviously didn't pay off.
We'd win a few more games, sure, but again, I think we'd be in pretty much the same boat. 37 year old Dirk, 33 year old Tyson, Parsons, and bunch of scrubs is hardly enough to be competitive in the West- remember, we only got Matthews because Jordan had already indicated that he would sign here.

The two scenarios (2011 and now) just aren't comparable- especially when you consider that the Mavs only let Chandler walk AFTER Jordan had already indicated that he was signing here.

Quote:
I know we're all in a bad mood, but chill out with that. I'm not "making up" anything. It was an expression.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 07-09-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #956
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
I do not recommend anyone bring their children to this game. I'm not sure at what point they chuck you for language/heckling, but I'm sure I'll get it. I'm guessing I won't be alone.
The first Clips game at the AAC is going to be chaos...

Big winner in this whole Jordan fiasco? Rajon Rondo... He's no longer Enemy #1 in Dallas.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #957
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The first Clips game at the AAC is going to be chaos...

Big winner in this whole Jordan fiasco? Rajon Rondo... He's no longer Enemy #1 in Dallas.
Hell, even Lamar Odom looks like a fucking saint right now.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #958
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Better and good are very different things.

I think a lot of people would rather be mediocre forever than to even try to be good.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #959
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that Cuban was handed a golden goose, but ALL successful franchises are dependent on "golden gooses," especially in the NBA. You can argue that he didn't do anything special to accomplish it, but the fact is, it did happen under his ownership. Facts are facts, and the records are what they are. Ojectively, his track record absolutely is- by ANY reasonable standard- one of the more successful records in all of American sports over the last 15 years.
What did Oklahoma City start with? You can't say "ALL." And you certainly can't put very many people in the same category of "golden" as what Cuban bought. Two hall-of-famers, with more than a decade of prime years ahead? My goodness. How could anyone possibly screw that up?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #960
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
What did Oklahoma City start with? You can't say "ALL." And you certainly can't put very many people in the same category of "golden" as what Cuban bought. Two hall-of-famers, with more than a decade of prime years ahead? My goodness. How could anyone possibly screw that up?
Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook?

Last edited by Fragism; 07-09-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power bottom, still a bottom btch