Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #1
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs trade for Christian Wood

Feel like starting a new thread so people can see it if they don't know about it.

Wood for the 26th pick, Boban, Burke, Marques Chriss, and maybe Sterling Brown?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

HELL YES!!!! This rules! If Luka can make a guy like Powell look good with just lob passes, imagine what he can do with Wood.

Just gotta re-sign Brunson, and the Mavs are a genuine threat to make the finals next year.

Hats off to Nico. He's done a hell of a job so far in his short tenure.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
HELL YES!!!! This rules! If Luka can make a guy like Powell look good with just lob passes, imagine what he can do with Wood.

Just gotta re-sign Brunson, and the Mavs are a genuine threat to make the finals next year.

Hats off to Nico. He's done a hell of a job so far in his short tenure.
I feel like this is just as good as getting Myles Turner and better in some ways. Turner is a better shot blocker, but Wood is a better rebounder. We need the rebounding more.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Can we trade Powell now pls pls.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
He's expiring, so I'd imagine we can get something for him. If not, we keep him and just let him come off the books next year. Either way is good for the Mavs.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
Someone on twitter posted a starting lineup of Luka/JB/Dodo/Wood/Powell. I thought it was nuts at first, but we did start Powell with KP.

But Powell is an expiring, so I hope we aren't done improving and can move him. Kleber makes a lot more sense to keep because of his sometimes good defense.

Old 06-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Look at Wood destroy KP. Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnDb...seofHighlights

Old 06-15-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I finally got my wish with C Wood. 2 years late is better than nothing. I'm praying for his health.

As far as starting DP instead of Bullock...that's out of the question as long as I'm coach. In fact, I personally don't think Nico gives two shits about DP as a player, so as soon as he gets confirmation he is seen as an (expiring) asset, I think he takes that colostomy bag of a chess piece off the board so the coaches don't have a choice to play it. And that's a direct quote from one of the top arm chair coaches in Plano Texas! Print it.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I finally got my wish with C Wood. 2 years late is better than nothing. I'm praying for his health.

As far as starting DP instead of Bullock...that's out of the question as long as I'm coach. In fact, I personally don't think Nico gives two shits about DP as a player, so as soon as he gets confirmation he is seen as an (expiring) asset, I think he takes that colostomy bag of a chess piece off the board so the coaches don't have a choice to play it. And that's a direct quote from one of the top arm chair coaches in Plano Texas! Print it.
Cuban's movie buddy.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:49 PM   #10
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow -- was not expecting that. Interesting deal, but not without its negatives.

Wood hasn't played a complete season in the past two years. He is a minus defender, and currently has a bad rep based on several incidents (albeit with a dysfunctional team). He is also in a contract year, and you gave up 4-5 years of #26 at a low salary.

IMO the positives are immense. We didn't give up rotation players. We consolidated the roster and dropped some guys that weren't getting on the floor. Wood immediately raises the ceiling of the Mavs. On offense he is exactly the sort of player you hope to pair with Luka. You hope he's motivated in a contract year and that a better locker room with stronger voices leading makes a difference on D.

Way to go Nico.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:08 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Wood hasn't played a complete season in the past two years. He is a minus defender, and currently has a bad rep based on several incidents (albeit with a dysfunctional team). He is also in a contract year, and you gave up 4-5 years of #26 at a low salary.

IMO the positives are immense. We didn't give up rotation players. We consolidated the roster and dropped some guys that weren't getting on the floor. Wood immediately raises the ceiling of the Mavs. On offense he is exactly the sort of player you hope to pair with Luka. You hope he's motivated in a contract year and that a better locker room with stronger voices leading makes a difference on D.

Way to go Nico.
I haven't looked up the advanced stats, but he can't be any worse on defense than Powell. On defense, it's a lateral move at worst. On offense he's LIGHT YEARS better. Not to mention, he's also light years better than Powell as a rebounder. The rebounding alone makes him a better defensive player because we'll give up fewer possessions.

What I love the most about Wood though is how good he his scoring off the dribble. He's a great pick and roll threat, and he'll look great feasting off of Luka's lob passes. But he's also very good at creating his own shot and getting to the rim by himself, so it should really take some of the burden off of Luka and make the offense much more potent.

Way to go Nico, indeed.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:31 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Way to go Nico.
I just like the getting deals done aspect. Even if it doesn't work, then you make moves down the line. Keep improving.

Donnie just was incapable of deals like like this in the later half of his tenure.

I mean, we literally just replaced KP's production for a late first. Surreal.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 PM   #13
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Think I read where his extension is somewhere around 4/$77m
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:54 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like the deal a lot

Salary ballast and a pick unlikely to be something for a guy that put up 18-10 on 50/39

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-15-2022 at 11:55 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:01 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I just like the getting deals done aspect. Even if it doesn't work, then you make moves down the line. Keep improving.

Donnie just was incapable of deals like like this in the later half of his tenure.

I mean, we literally just replaced KP's production for a late first. Surreal.
Totally agree, except I think Wood is probably a much better fit for Luka than KP ever was. For reasons I've never understood, KP is just not a pick and roll guy. Wood on the other hand should be feasting off of lob passes from Luka all night, every night. Wood played extremely well off Harden, even as Harden was dogging it to force his fat ass out of Houston. So imagine how well he'll play next to Luka. Oh yeah, and he's a 38% career 3pt shooter.

I love how aggressive the Mavs have been under Nico so far. No more standing pat. The Mavs have a generational superstar, and they need to make every single offseason and trade deadline count. Starting C was by far the Mavs biggest weakness going into this offseason, and we just got a MASSIVE upgrade before the offseason technically even started. Just gotta re-sign Brunson and I really think the Mavs are a very serious threat to make the finals next year. If we can add a decent wing too, then we might even be hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in the very near future. This is awesome.

Oh and I'm going to go ahead and make a very bold prediction right now. Luka will be the 2023 MVP. He's been good enough to be MVP the last 3 years, but the Mavs simply haven't won enough games. But with this move, the Mavs have a roster that is very capable of winning 55-60 games. Luka for MVP. Book it.
Old 06-16-2022, 12:04 AM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

We gave up nothing but Lukas buddy who I imagine will find his way back to the team in some capacity.

Honestly shocked. They acquired a real in the flesh center
Old 06-16-2022, 01:43 AM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Downside: draft will be boring

Upside: Wood is already a legitimate borderline star with the kind of game that can propel Luka forward. Less than 10% of picks where we are drafting ever become even a quality starter. You take the guaranteed starter over a tiny chance of one every time.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-...verall/260509/

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-16-2022 at 05:47 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Only bad part is I was really hoping to get a guy in the draft?..Wood is a very good player who became disgruntled and probably screwed up his trade value thankfully. Myles Turner, John Collins guy we?ve been hoping for. Can?t complain about only giving up the pick.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #19
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Agreed about the draft being boring. It will be interesting to see who falls in the draft. A Jovic, Hardy, or Kessler falling would make one think, but you just can't pass on 18/10 with 39% from three.

And it's amazing how valuable draft picks are. People saying that next year's draft is deeper, and yet we just got a young starting center for the 26th pick.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:18 AM   #20
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Low risk, high reward potential brilliant move.
Not sure he solves all of our problems, but we gave up nothing in terms of PO rotation players for a bonified starting center.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Interesting to hear all of these attitude problems with Wood. That matters a lot more when you're on a 20 win team. I know Cuban once said you can handle one bad attitude guy but not a locker room full of them.

And frankly, we need a guy with attitude as long as it's focused on the other teams.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #22
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Interesting to hear all of these attitude problems with Wood. That matters a lot more when you're on a 20 win team. I know Cuban once said you can handle one bad attitude guy but not a locker room full of them.

And frankly, we need a guy with attitude as long as it's focused on the other teams.
It's also worth considering that playing in a dysfunctional atmosphere will give a lot of guys "attitude problems." Remember, Dinwiddie was apparently universally loathed by his teammates in Washington. Winning cures all, as they say.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It?s almost no risk and potentially extremely high reward. I give it two thumbs up.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Another aspect of the attitude problem is not having Rick anymore. THAT would be a concern and Rick likely benches him quickly.

Kidd is a different coach altogether. He has the players believe in the team and believe in themselves. And he doesn't have a short leash. I feel every player on the roster got a fair shake last season.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-16-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #25
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds exciting! Let?s wait and see what else Nico has up in his sleeves.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Pandahank always coming through with the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nngf...el=PandaHank41

Wood's HUGE potential on defense is being able to guard the perimeter. I mean, the guy is blocking three point shots. That's where the coaching staff needs to focus their energy. He is too thin to be a banger, but being able to stay with guards will be huge.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #27
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

I always thought Wood had the footspeed to be a decent defender. I'm sure he'll buy in, and if he can play at least average defense for his position, he'll get the playing time to average 20/10 even. He has that in him.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty excited about the deal. Wood checks a lot of boxes that a modern center has to be able to do. Off the top of my head.

Can he hit his 3's CHECK
Is he capable in the pick and roll? CHECK (although Houston fans think he's lazy on picks)
Can he hit the pick and pop? CHECK
Is he mobile enough on defense to cover the perimeter? CHECK
Is he a shot blocker? NOPE
Is he a plus rebounder? CHECK

Last edited by MFFL; 06-16-2022 at 04:50 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #29
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Interesting reading Rockets fans trash Wood esp on clutchfans. They posted two months where the opposing center did well against him. No doubt, Wood isn't a good man defender and not a good defender overall.

My issue is what if Wood played great defense for them, and they won 30-40 games? Those fans would hate on him even more because he wasn't helping them tank. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

Like it's a fair question...how many bad/rebuilding teams play good defense? I'm gonna guess not many. Rockets were 29/30 on d last season. One guy ain't gonna change a crap culture of losing, and he certainly can't anchor a defense by himself.

If you put Gobert on the Rockets, then they won't suddenly be a top defensive team. It has to be a system that players buy into. And I'm not sure I take Gobert over Wood because we saw what happens with a slow, big center that can't score in the playoffs. If Gobert shoots threes, then we're out in the first round. That is just more important in today's NBA than a guy who blocks shots.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 06-16-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #30
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Curious who will fill the roster spots. Doubt anyone who will be playing any significant minutes.

11 players signed to $153,670,010 (according to HoopsHype while considering the trade being finalized). Mavs want to keep Jalen Brunson. They're really going to be over the cap if they keep everyone.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 06-16-2022 at 07:53 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #31
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I'm pretty excited about the deal. Wood checks a lot of boxes that a modern center has to be able to do. Off the top of my head.

Can he hit his 3's CHECK
Is he capable in the pick and roll? CHECK (although Houston fans think he's lazy on picks)
Can he hit the pick and pop? CHECK
Is he mobile enough on defense to cover the perimeter? CHECK
Is he a shot blocker? NOPE
Is he a plus rebounder? CHECK
Too early to say who your starting 5 is since we don't know if we're actually keeping Jalen Brunson. However, who is your starting 5 right now? Also I am digging the depth, especially if Josh Green shows significant growth this year.

1 Luka Doncic
2 Spencer Dinwiddie
3 Reggie Bullock
4 Dorian Finney-Smith
5 Christian Wood

If we keep Jalen Brunson, then that's a nice problem to have. I just don't want to see anyone else go. lmao
Old 06-16-2022, 09:14 PM   #32
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Too early to say who your starting 5 is since we don't know if we're actually keeping Jalen Brunson. However, who is your starting 5 right now? Also I am digging the depth, especially if Josh Green shows significant growth this year.

1 Luka Doncic
2 Spencer Dinwiddie
3 Reggie Bullock
4 Dorian Finney-Smith
5 Christian Wood

If we keep Jalen Brunson, then that's a nice problem to have. I just don't want to see anyone else go. lmao
Luka
Brunson
Bullock
DFS
Wood
Old 06-16-2022, 09:20 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Luka
Brunson
Bullock
DFS
Wood
With Dinwiddie, Maxie, and THJ as the main reserves.

I'm STOCKED about our lineup - especially since we have everyone early enough to get the defense drilled in.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:27 PM   #34
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
With Dinwiddie, Maxie, and THJ as the main reserves.

I'm STOCKED about our lineup - especially since we have everyone early enough to get the defense drilled in.
Don't you mean Green, Powell, and Bertrans as the main reserves?

Seriously, I hope Green surprises us all this season. Bertrans will just be some instant offense. Powell? Well, he's a fun player to watch when Luka feeds him.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:37 PM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Seriously, I hope Green surprises us all this season. Bertrans will just be some instant offense. Powell? Well, he's a fun player to watch when Luka feeds him.
Given that Powell is expiring, he's one of the few tradeable assets we have left, so I'm hoping we use him to get a serviceable wing.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:56 PM   #36
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Given that Powell is expiring, he's one of the few tradeable assets we have left, so I'm hoping we use him to get a serviceable wing.
In a month and a half I wonder which team will have the biggest changes. Lakers? Nets? Jazz? Some other team? It's crazy to me how many changes this Mavericks team could potentially make after making it to the WCF. Difference is? These changes will likely improve the team as opposed to those after winning the championship.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:50 PM   #37
MFFL
Guru

Quote:

I like those 3 for depth. Its a long season.

And I loved Powell when he was a member of the Bench Mob - maybe he can return to that player.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:14 PM   #38
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5kv9_FPvyY

For fun. Remember how mad all of us were when Houston got him instead of us? Yet another example of the Mavs FO sitting on their asses and not being aggressive, we all said. I'll always be grateful to Donnie for all he accomplished here- including and especially getting us Luka. But it really was time for a change.

And on that note, the trade for Wood makes me that much more glad we parted with Carlisle, because I just have a feeling that Carlisle and Wood would be a toxic combination. Very few coaches have as much of a reputation for being disliked by players as Carlisle does.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:25 AM   #39
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I tapped a bit into this with response to SMC wanting another ball handler, but Wood can grab a rebound and take it coast to coast. He is a very good handler for his size. I know Rockets fans trash him for trying to do too much handling-wise...for us, it's a godsend. It changes the whole idea of needing another wing who can handle if your center can do it.

He can get the ball and iso dribble to the rim in a way that KP just couldn't do.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:40 AM   #40
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Just waxing poetic here, but man pre-injuries KP was a sight to see. He was a supercharged Christian Wood with better interior defense. Prime KP and Luka would have been unstoppable.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-18-2022 at 10:41 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote