Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

McDyess injures knee in exhibition loss

NEW YORK (AP) -- Antonio McDyess injured his knee late in the fourth quarter of a 94-87 loss to the Phoenix Suns on Saturday night, the latest dose of misfortune to strike the New York Knicks this preseason.

After dunking a miss by teammate Howard Eisley, McDyess fell to the floor clutching his left knee. Surgery on the same knee limited McDyess to just 10 games last season.

McDyess was able to limp off the court under his own power, slamming the scorer's table with his hand as he headed to the locker room with 1:55 left. The initial diagnosis was a hyperextension, and McDyess was scheduled to undergo an MRI late Saturday night.

"I don't want to go through this again if it's anything major,'' McDyess said. "I just can't do that. I'm just hoping it's something minor, I get it treated and I'm back soon.''

McDyess had 23 points and 15 rebounds before going down, his third straight solid performance for the team that acquired him from Denver in a five-player trade on draft night. He was one of the lone bright spots for the Knicks on a night when they committed 28 turnovers, including seven by Allan Houston and five each by Shandon Anderson and Kurt Thomas.

A serious injury to McDyess would be devastating to the Knicks, who already lost Latrell Sprewell for 6-to-8 weeks because of a broken bone in his right hand.

"I just pray it isn't too serious,'' coach Don Chaney said. "He really is a stud. If he's healthy, he's destined for a great year.''

McDyess originally injured the knee during training camp a year ago and had surgery to repair the patella tendon. He returned and played 10 games, but soreness in the knee forced him to sit out the final month of the season.

"It's tough to take a hit like this, especially when you've seen how big a role he'll play and what he'll mean to the team,'' Houston said.

McDyess said he believed he injured the knee while landing following his dunk.

"I think I landed a little awkward and hyperextended it. I hope that's all it is,'' McDyess said.

The Knicks trailed by just one, 57-56, when Howard Eisley replaced newly anointed starter Charlie Ward at the point. Phoenix pressured Eisley in the backcourt and closed the quarter with a 12-5 run.

Shawn Marion beat Anderson on a backdoor move and converted an alley-oop dunk off a pass from rookie Amare Stoudemire for a 79-65 lead. Eisley scored seven straight points to bring the Knicks back, but he then shot an airball that the Suns turned into a breakaway dunk.

Marion led the Suns with 23 points. Joe Johnson added 17, Anfernee Hardaway 15 and Stephon Marbury -- who missed his first 11 shots -- added 13 points and eight assists.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2002, 10:52 PM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

So now the Knicks have injury added to insult.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 02:53 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

The Knicks appear to be cursed.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, initial reports were that McDyess had only hyperextended his knee.

The New York Daily News is now reporting that McDyess will miss most, if not the entire season. They have 5pm ET conference call scheduled to address the media on his injury.

Yes, the Knicks do appear to be cursed.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

With his injury prone past McDyess was a huge gamble for the Knicks. Most of the media with their eastern conference bias weren´t taking that into account when commenting the Denver trade. I think some of us here did.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 04:19 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The sad thing is, McDyess, like Camby, were both players that a few here wanted to trade Finley for.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< The sad thing is, McDyess, like Camby, were both players that a few here wanted to trade Finley for. >>

Well that whole Knicks team people wanted us to trade for Finley and every single one of them are hurt. I guess every person that the is rumored to be traded for Finley is getting hurt I guess it is a curse lol. Mourning, CAmby and the Knicks.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 06:09 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

From espn, seems like he´s out for the season. Do you think he´s calling it quits? It´s not likely, but he´s quoted with something like this in the article.
Here is a link.

<< Report: McDyess out 'most, if not the entire season'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Could the New York Knicks' preseason take a worse turn than it reportedly has Sunday?

Power forward Antonio McDyess is expected to miss &quot;most, if not the entire season&quot; with a knee injury he suffered in a preseason loss Saturday night, the New York Daily News reports on its Web site.

The Daily News cites a person close to McDyess for its report.

The Knicks wouldn't give a timetable, but said Sunday he will be out indefinitely with a fractured kneecap.

The Knicks announced the news a day after McDyess went down clutching his left knee with 1:55 remaining in a preseason loss to the Phoenix Suns. The injury was initially diagnosed as a hyperextension, but an MRI exam revealed the fracture.

&quot;This is a devastating blow for Antonio, knowing how hard he has worked up to this point,'' Knicks president Scott Layden said. &quot;Knick fans had only seen a glimmer of his superior skills, and knowing Antonio, we are confident he will overcome this setback.''

In three preseason games, the 6-9 forward averaged 17.7 and 13.0 rebounds.

The injury happened to the same knee that was operated on last season, sidelining McDyess for all but 10 games.

He is the second Knicks starter to be sidelined by an injury. Latrell Sprewell arrived for training camp with a broken hand, and the Knicks fined him $250,000 and told him to stay away from the team for failing to report the injury in a timely manner.

Sprewell is not expected to be ready to return until mid-November at the earliest, and there's no telling when he might eventually team up with McDyess.

The Knicks released no further details of McDyess' injury, or a course of treatment.

The injury happened suddenly Saturday night in the closing minutes of an otherwise meaningless game. After dunking a miss by teammate Howard Eisley, McDyess fell to the floor clutching his left knee.

McDyess was able to limp off the court under his own power, slamming the scorer's table with his hand as he headed to the locker room.

Speaking with reporters in a hallway before going to a hospital for the MRI, McDyess said he was hoping that the injury was not serious. Exactly one year earlier, McDyess had surgery on the same knee to repair the patella tendon.

&quot;I don't want to go through this again if it's anything major,&quot; McDyess said. &quot;I just can't do that. I'm just hoping it's something minor, I get it treated and I'm back soon.&quot;

McDyess had 23 points and 15 rebounds before going down, his third straight solid performance for the team that acquired him from Denver in a five-player trade on draft night.

Coach Don Chaney explained that he kept some of his starters in the game late into the fourth quarter because the Suns were using an eight-man rotation, sticking with their best players.

&quot;I just pray it isn't too serious,'' Chaney said. &quot;He really is a stud. If he's healthy, he's destined for a great year.''

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
>>

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:08 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

<< Do you think he´s calling it quits? >>

No, I just think he was meaning about having to go through another season of sitting on the sidelines with another injury.

As for an update, he's listed as out indefintely. A MRI revealed a fracture so this is really another blow to the Knicks.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:55 PM   #10
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

The agony continues....
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 03:23 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

McDyess on Denver pre-injury.

&quot;They're going to break the record for worst record in the league,&quot; said McDyess, about the Nuggets. &quot;They could, with Camby out. They wanted a lot of young players. They want that first pick (in the lottery) with (high school star) LeBron James coming out.&quot;

McDyess added: &quot;I wonder if (the Nuggets) have doubts. But it's in the past now. They can't do anything about it. I'm just happy I'm (in New York).&quot;
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 03:57 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

McDyess post injury:

Ouch.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:07 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Karma, baby.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 09:23 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Out for the year

Wednesday, October 16
Knicks' McDyess out for season after kneecap surgery
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- There's nothing indefinite about Antonio McDyess' status anymore.

The New York Knicks' starting power forward will miss the season after having surgery Wednesday on his broken kneecap.

Dr. Norman Scott, who performed the two-hour procedure at Beth Israel Hospital, said the injury would not end McDyess' career.

&quot;He will be able to walk on crutches and put full weight on it later this week,'' Scott said. &quot;We expect him to have a full recovery and be 100 percent by the start of next season.''

The Knicks have applied to the league for a disabled player exception. If granted, they will have 45 days from the date of McDyess' injury -- a deadline of Nov. 25 -- to use that salary cap slot to sign a free agent or acquire a player in a trade who makes no more than $4.56 million.

McDyess, whom the Knicks acquired in a draft day trade with Denver, was injured in an exhibition game last Saturday.

Scott said McDyess will be able to begin rehab following a four-to-six week period when the knee will be immobilized in a cast.

McDyess went down clutching his left knee after dunking with 1:55 remaining in the loss to Phoenix. The injury happened to the same knee that McDyess had surgery on last season, sidelining him for all but 10 games. The Knicks say the two injuries are not related.

In three preseason games, the 6-foot-9 forward averaged 17.7 points and 13.0 rebounds.

The Knicks acquired McDyess and the rights to point guard Frank Williams in June for guard Mark Jackson, center Marcus Camby and the rights to forward Maybyner &quot;Nene'' Hilario.

Williams broke his wrist during a summer league game and has not yet returned to the Knicks.

Camby is out indefinitely following hip surgery last Thursday.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:30 PM   #15
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Kiki's looking better and better.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote