Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-21-2002, 08:22 PM   #1
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

This trade had to be difficult for Nellie. The man has cajones.

I think they did this instead of the Camby deal because of the importance of the point guard in Nellie's system. Steve Nash is the most important player on the team. This team cannot thrive in a half court system. They need a more dynamic point guard then Hardaway to make the offense flow.

Nellie's system can adjust to the lack of height and rebounding easier then adjusting to subpar point guard play. I think Van Exel will prove to have the most impact rather then Raef. He will be huge in the playoffs.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2002, 08:49 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

They will ditch Van Exel as soon as they can.

This trade was all about acquiring LaFrentz.

And btw, it's 'cojones'...'cajones' are like dresser drawers.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
threadkilla

threadkilla is on a distinguished road

So given the two choices which would you choose? Camby or Van Exel?

What I am saying is that Van Exel will turn out to be a more important component to the success of this team then Raef this season. They may choose to deal him in the summer, certainly. If he is a good scout and plays well in the playoffs his value could be reestablished. He is important for this playoff run due to Nash and Fin’s minutes, and the importance of point guard play in Nellie's system. He is a very good all around player and should flourish in this system.

I don’t know that much about Raef’s game other then what I have read and seen in mav’s games. All big men look good against the mav’s. I think it is possible that we may be underwhelmed by his game.

Van Exel may be a goner this summer, but NBA point guards with his game are relatively rare. He may stick here, you never know.
threadkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

With all the talk tonight about Nash's playing with injury makes Van Exel acquisition look even better.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:57 AM   #5
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think Nick van Exel is much more help than Timmy was, he decided several games down the stretch...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

van exel is simply better defensively...better at penetrating and has younger legs..
will he be as clutch?..maybe not..however, the mavs have more than enough clutch shooters to offset the loss of hardaway
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 02:01 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I hated losing Hardaway more than any other player. Harvey was a loss, but we got back a young rising star in LaFrentz. Juwan would have rode the pine (or soft comfy chair) if the Mavs had the balls to give his minutes to Eddie. But Denver needed a point guard since they were trading us both of theirs.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 02:03 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest..i never understood why griffin and najera didn't get more of juwan's minutes..

i was wrong about najera..i didn't think he'd be as good as he is..but juwan had nothing in so many games this year.

and i agree..i hated losing timmy...he was clutch..but, you have to give up something to get something
Old 02-22-2002, 02:05 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If we had another point with NBA experience on the roster I'm sure we could have kept Hardaway. Denver wanted this deal BAD - they dumped 3 bad contracts on us.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 02:10 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

where would hardaway fit in if the mavs had:
fin, nash, van exel, and hardaway at the guard spots..

you have to think that all the minutes will be taken up....and that the minutes that fin doesn't get at small forward..dirk will get at times.. along with buckner and griffin when healthy..

it would be too full of a rotation