Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2002, 05:37 PM   #1
promav

promav is on a distinguished road

Is there any chance a trade sending NVE and Lafrentz for Mcinnis and Kandi can be done, or is it even worth it?
promav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #2
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

Not worth it in a million years. I want Kandi man bad, but I'm not sure I'd rather have him than Raef and NVE for McInnis is a joke. I don't think Van Exel is getting enough respect on this board. Some people here are willing to trade him for just about anything.

NVE and Raef for Kandi and McInnis would be a terrible trade.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:47 PM   #3
promav

promav is on a distinguished road

I'll give NVE his due, it's Raef where we can use the upgrade. He's the only thing of value that can get us a true big man.
promav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:49 PM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Yes. If:
1) You convince LaFrentz that he want to go to the Clippers voluntarily.
2) The Clippers agree to take a player that makes twice as much as any player has made in the history of the organization.

So, no.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:57 PM   #5
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

will never happen. I don't want to move Reaf, there are too many teams that need a scoring PG.

BLG
Old 06-28-2002, 06:16 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Call me crazy - but I'm still not convinced that Kandi would be an upgrade over Raef. Not for this team.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

krazi.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Call me crazy - but I'm still not convinced that Kandi would be an upgrade over Raef. Not for this team. >>

Raef is a better center for Nellie-ball. Kandi would be the better center for Donnie-ball.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 06:54 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Chalk one vote up for Hell No.

Raef is much more valuable. NVE is most valuable as a trade asset IMO, but would be a good player to keep around if can get a big guy for the exception.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 09:52 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Chalk two up for Hell no... . Kandi hasn't shown enough to give up raef for. Including Nick is out of the question.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I probably do it.

The only reason. I don't think Raef is going to get any better. Kandi will likely continue to improve.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:40 PM   #12
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I don't. Raef fits well in our scheme.

BLG
Old 06-28-2002, 10:45 PM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I agree he does fit into our scheme, but I feel perhaps the scheme needs some tweeking.

Also I don't see any upside to Raef.

Old 06-29-2002, 08:02 AM   #14
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I guess if you ignore the fact that NVE makes $11 million a year. Ignore the fact that McInnis is a FA. Ignore the fact that Raef and Olowokandi are restricted FAs and just go on talent, it might be a fairly even trade.

Raef has probably received more coaching. He played in a better college system and stayed in that system longer. I saw where Kandi turned 27 last year. Is Raef that old? Raef has an outside game. Kandi probably has a better post game. What about coachability? Is Kandi as coachable as Raef or does he cause probablems?

Is McInnis a PG or a shooting guard? He's taller than NVE. I'm wondering if he is as consistant at shooting. NVE is not all that consistant. Does McInnis seem to be a better shooter than NVE because we haven't seen him play day in and day out? If McInnis is so good, why have the Clippers all but come out and said they aren't going to re-sign him, when they REALLY need a PG to get to the next level? NVE is probably considered to be among the top ten PGs in the league.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:41 AM   #15
grbh
Platinum Member

I guess if you ignore the fact that NVE makes $11 million a year. Ignore the fact that McInnis is a FA. Ignore the fact that Raef and Olowokandi are restricted FAs and just go on talent, it might be a fairly even trade.

Sure there are a number of cap issues that make it a screwy deal, and besides the would never take NVEs salary. I still think it is an interesting trade question because it guages peoples opinion of Mavs value.

I saw where Kandi turned 27 last year. Is Raef that old?

He is 26. Pretty close.

Is McInnis a PG or a shooting guard?

Good question. He may be a tweener. And I don't know why the Clippers are so hot to drop him. I still think he would fill the backup role pretty nicely in Dallas.

Old 06-29-2002, 12:02 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't do a NVE/LaFrentz for McInnis/Kandi deal, even if the logistics could be worked out. I want to keep Raef around, because I think he and Dirk could team to be a very nice forward combo for a long time.

Old 06-29-2002, 12:45 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Make no mistake about it. Raef isn't going anywhere.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:08 PM   #18
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I never understood the fastination with Kandi in the first place, he was picked #1 and in his 3 year career he has only had one good half season and that was because he is trying to get the max. Last year at this time the Mavs probably could have gotten Kandi for Bradley and a #1, now everybody not including the Mavs are throwing their best players at him.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 06:54 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you ask the question about whether or not mcinnis is a tweener..isn't NVE?
well, he's undersized for the two guard...he can't guard either position... he can pass but looks to shoot first...but, he shoots poorly.

hmmm..maybe NVE is the tweener... halfway being a good PG and halfway being a spare.

let's hope he looks to pass first this year so he can ACTUALLY be a good PG
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 08:28 PM   #20
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

NVE HAS made the all-star team as a PG. In my opinion, he needs to start somewhere to be effective. I'm not going to cut him down, because I think he is a good player. I think Nelson plays him out of position as a SG, if he plays him at the SG too much.

It's OK to play NVE and Nash together SOME. It's like playing Fin at the point. He can do it, just not too often. If the Mavs have a PG as good as NVE, he needs to play the point, his best position. To me, it's a question of too much talent at the same spot.

I think the Mavs would be better served by having a 2nd tier PG to back Nash up, rather than a player that is very near his equal, such as NVE. I don't buy all the baloney about NVE not being any good. The opposite is true. He's too good to be a backup.

At the same time, I would like to see a third PG brought in, who is talented, but undeveloped, to bring along and play in blowouts instead of AJ.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 05:26 AM   #21
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

I agree 100% David, which is way I still think the NY deal is ok, both teams improve(maybe, NVE is a huge upgrade over Ward, not sure about the Mavs though), and everybody is happy. The Mavs do need a 2nd-tier PG but I hope it isn't Charlie Ward, what the Mavs need is a PG who is slowly declining but still can produce like a Derek Fisher or Mookie Blaylock. Of course NVE is a better starter then back-up BUT he would still be the best back-up in the league, which is one of the reasons why I don't think the Mavs want to part with him so quickly. If he does come back you might as well hand him the 6th man trophey at the beginning of the season, this year's 6th Man OTY Corliss Williamson had seven 20+ games this season, NVE had 5 in 8 days. Even though NVE has said he would like to come back and win 6th man, he is starter and deserves to be one, i'm just not sure if Nellie will be able to part ways.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 07:13 AM   #22
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

<< At the same time, I would like to see a third PG brought in, who is talented, but undeveloped, to bring along and play in blowouts instead of AJ. >>

Whatever happened to Nellie's plan to make Buckner a backup PG?
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 09:37 AM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure Buck is a good enough ballhandler, or fast enough to match the speedier PGs.

I think he's the PG equivalent of having the punter be the fourth-team QB.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote