Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs win at home against Bucks: 33-15

Dallas 107, Milwaukee 96. The Mavs win again. This team is quietly 33-15, and I have to remind myself of that sometimes. Tonight was one of those nights. The short-handed, out-manned Bucks made this more of a game than it probably should have been. But it did allow for some heroics from the Mavs and Dirk Nowtizki in particular.

No Stack. No Devin. They seem to be getting closer, but Devin won't be back until after the all-star break. He did get to play around with the broadcast though.

This game was tied at 91 with more than 2 minutes left, and the Mavs went on a 8-0 run. That was obviously huge, but even better was just how many guys contributed to that big run. That's encouraging.

Dirk had his first career triple double tonight with 29 points, 10 rebounds, and 12 assists. He did everything tonight, and it was all needed. The stat line shows how dominant that he was, and he was the closer for the team too. As he left the floor to his standing ovation, Avery Johnson met him on the floor with a huge smile. I think I had the same smile here in my living room. In a time where some of the best players ever are getting traded to their third and fourth teams, tt's nice to have that guy on this team. Says something about him.

Really good ball movement tonight, I thought. The Mavs had 26 assists to 9 turnovers. This team and its offense is better when JJ starts and Jet comes off the bench. JJ had 13 points and 4 assists tonight, and had the best +/- on the team at +24.

I feel pretty safe saying that Jet is only the third best point guard on the active roster. Of course, Jet is still one of the two best overall guards on the team. He had 23 points and 4 assists, and he had several more big plays in the fourth quarter.

The guards actually had a couple of nice defensive plays in the fourth quarter too, but before that, those guys were getting torched. Mo Williams was unbelievably hot in the first half. I believe he finished the half with 28 points, including a half-court shot at the buzzer, and it didn't feel like he would ever miss. Great job by the team of slowing him down in the second half. Several guys took turns on him, but Devean George probably did the best work on him. Once again, I thought George played very well, but the stat sheet won't show that.

Eddie Jones had a nice burst to start the game. I think his intelligence on the floor helps this team. He seems to know where the ball is going to be. I thought he looked a little better tonight because he actually drove the ball and moved inside too. Often he stays on the perimeter too much, and I don't think that's good for any player.

Josh had 17 and 8. I'll take those numbers. He even did most of his damage in the second half.

Damp had 6 points and 10 rebounds in 20 minutes. I thought he was doing a good job of closing down the lane and helping the Mavs win the rebounding battle. He tweaked an ankle though, and he didn't return. The Mavs ended up losing some of the boards after he left too. That was how the Bucks got back into the game.

Diop seems pretty deep into the dog house. He got to see the floor in the fourth quarter due to the absence of Damp, and he had a nice block, but he was gone again just like that. For a coach who talks about body language all the time, I have to say that Diop's doesn't look good right now.

I thought Bass was good again with 8 points, 6 rebounds, and a block. He came up with some big plays in the clutch too, including a couple of big dunks that got everyone excited. He's really the biggest difference in this year's team and last year's.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

jjb and terry are the worst defenders in the history of basketball. I can't understand the people who drink the jjb kool-aid.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #3
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Diop seems pretty deep into the dog house. He got to see the floor in the fourth quarter due to the absence of Damp, and he had a nice block, but he was gone again just like that. For a coach who talks about body language all the time, I have to say that Diop's doesn't look good right now.
Does anyone know what's going on with Diop? What's going on between Avery and Diop?

Is there anyone in the DFW media, maybe a beat writer for one of the major dailies, who follows the team, who sees them on a regular basis, who has maybe....press credentials who knows anything about this?

Diop was a big part of the last two years' success. If he's being tossed aside, there's a story there.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
jjb and terry are the worst defenders in the history of basketball. I can't understand the people who drink the jjb kool-aid.
What the hell are you talking about? Barea does about as well as you could possibly expect him to do considering how small he is. Fact of the matter is, with Devin injured, we are a LOT better with Barea than we are without him.

On a different note, Avery seems as unsure of himself as ever with his rotations. I mean, it doesn't take a basketball genius to know that a lineup of Terry, Hassell, George, Bass, and Juwan Howard isn't going be able to score or defend. But sure enough, Avery throws that lineup out there in the second, and our 8 point lead or whatever it was disappeared. Then later on in the game he actually throws Ager out there. An offensive foul and a badly missed three pointer later, and it's back to the bench with Ager.

And seriously, why the hell is Diop in the doghouse? When Damp went out, we started getting outrebounded and Bogut dominated the game. So Avery puts Diop in for one play, in which he blocked a shot, and then yanks him out the next. Bass looked utterly helpless trying to contest Bogut's hookshot. And now Dampier's injured. Let's hope to god Avery has the sense to start Diop in his place instead of playing small.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I was privileged to be in the arena to see the dirkster make some sweet history. Congrats you big stud you.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in still not understanding Avery's rotations.

I said I was fine with experimenting before the season. I got sick of it quickly when I couldn't see any reason for some of the experimenting that was going on. Well, I'm not sure I see anything now either? I know we're missing some guys, but I don't think Avery knows who he wants to play from night to night, and saying that it's all about how guys are producing is a simple way to cover yourself. Fact is, you can't do much in a few minutes, and you can't do anything if you don't get to play...

It's a strange situation to me, and it's more evidence why this team might be better off making a move. I think there is a lot of duplication on the team, and there is no way to give all of them the minutes they need.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in still not understanding Avery's rotations.

I said I was fine with experimenting before the season. I got sick of it quickly when I couldn't see any reason for some of the experimenting that was going on. Well, I'm not sure I see anything now either? I know we're missing some guys, but I don't think Avery knows who he wants to play from night to night, and saying that it's all about how guys are producing is a simple way to cover yourself. Fact is, you can't do much in a few minutes, and you can't do anything if you don't get to play...

It's a strange situation to me, and it's more evidence why this team might be better off making a move. I think there is a lot of duplication on the team, and there is no way to give all of them the minutes they need.
Totally agree. It drives me nuts. We have too many Devean Georges on this team.

And I am sick of hearing this "tinkering with the rotation" bullshit. We are more than half-way through the season now. Playoffs are about two months away. The rotation should be set in friggin stone by now.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

We still have some injuries we're working through, but the rotation needs to be set by around the first of March so that the team can get on a roll heading into the playoffs.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
We still have some injuries we're working through, but the rotation needs to be set by around the first of March so that the team can get on a roll heading into the playoffs.
I understand having to compensate for injuries, but what the hell is up with throwing Juwan Howard and Ager out there at this point in the season? If Stack is injured, George and Hassell get more minutes. I can handle that. If Devin Harris is injured, then Barea gets a lot of minutes. I can handle that too. If Damp is injured, then why doesn't Diop get minutes?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #10
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

I am convinced that Avery is not as analytical as most of us here in the forum. He shoots from the hip in a lot of situations. This is just a guess, but maybe he determines from practice who deserves a chance, and then sticks them in sometime during the game. The problem I see with that is that the player combinations, when he plugs them in, is extremely awkward. Since they are not in his regular rotation he wings it with them, until they prove to him that they don't belong on the floor. Then the inevitable quick yank comes down on their head. A little more analysis of X's and O's (player combinations, etc.) when those non-regulars are in would do wonders for the team.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.

Last edited by Mavs Rule; 02-07-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I understand having to compensate for injuries, but what the hell is up with throwing Juwan Howard and Ager out there at this point in the season? If Stack is injured, George and Hassell get more minutes. I can handle that. If Devin Harris is injured, then Barea gets a lot of minutes. I can handle that too. If Damp is injured, then why doesn't Diop get minutes?
My best guess is that he already knows what Diop can do and so he's throwing Bass into the fire trying to get him as much exposure as possible so that he will be a contributor at playoff time. Of course, I think this has the potential to backfire, which is why I think Diop should be playing. Still, that's what I think is on Avery's mind. There really isn't any other plausible explanation, unless Diop is flirting with Avery's wife. He looks to be the same player out there, and he's giving effort, so it has to be something else.

Speaking of Bass:

Old 02-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
ddh33
Platinum Member

I hope health makes the rotations come into focus a little more. I'm not sure though. I don't know what is happening with Diop, other than Bass eating up some of his minutes...

But that 2 guard situation doesn't promise to be any clearer. I think you've got three guys, all with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, all good enough to play, without enough minutes for all of them. I don't know how he is going to solve that one because none of them are a perfect fit, but all of them are good enough...
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #13
ddh33
Platinum Member

KG, I wonder if you're right about Diop. I know that if I were him, I'd just like to know that - especially since my finances were riding on my contract this summer.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
I hope health makes the rotations come into focus a little more. I'm not sure though. I don't know what is happening with Diop, other than Bass eating up some of his minutes...

But that 2 guard situation doesn't promise to be any clearer. I think you've got three guys, all with slightly different strengths and weaknesses, all good enough to play, without enough minutes for all of them. I don't know how he is going to solve that one because none of them are a perfect fit, but all of them are good enough...
My guess, as I hinted at above, is that Diop is not practicing hard, and therefore, Avery is "punishing" him by limiting his minutes. I truly think it is that Avery is determined to show him who's the boss.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:08 AM   #15
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
Speaking of Bass:

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 02-07-2008 at 01:09 AM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KG, I wonder if you're right about Diop. I know that if I were him, I'd just like to know that - especially since my finances were riding on my contract this summer.
I have NO idea if that's what Avery's doing , but I'm quite certain that if that is what he's doing, he's already told Diop what the deal is, at least to some extent.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #17
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I have NO idea if that's what Avery's doing , but I'm quite certain that if that is what he's doing, he's already told Diop what the deal is, at least to some extent.
I think so, too.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #18
Bathouse Bear

Bathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these partsBathouse Bear is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Totally agree. It drives me nuts. We have too many Devean Georges on this team.

And I am sick of hearing this "tinkering with the rotation" bullshit. We are more than half-way through the season now. Playoffs are about two months away. The rotation should be set in friggin stone by now.
I agree with you guys.

Avery needs to figure out what his rotation is and freakin stick to it. Once of the reasons guys like me keep complaining about how we don't look like a well oiled machine is that I really don't think the players have their system down yet.

Im convinced after tonight that we need to get rid of one of these three players: Devean George, Eddie Jones or Trenton Hassel.

Out of those three I would prefer keeping George because of his size and his ability to play great defense in spurts. As someone mentioned earlier they are really three of same sort of player. They have all shown nice flashes, but I dont think there is room for all three of them.

If eddie jones can't hit wide open threes he is really kinda useless.

Very similar to 10 years ago when the Lakers had Kobe and Eddie Jones and got rid of Jones becausse he was the poor mans version of Bryant. There were pretty much the same player.
Bathouse Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathouse Bear
I agree with you guys.

Avery needs to figure out what his rotation is and freakin stick to it. Once of the reasons guys like me keep complaining about how we don't look like a well oiled machine is that I really don't think the players have their system down yet.

Im convinced after tonight that we need to get rid of one of these three players: Devean George, Eddie Jones or Trenton Hassel.

Out of those three I would prefer keeping George because of his size and his ability to play great defense in spurts. As someone mentioned earlier they are really three of same sort of player. They have all shown nice flashes, but I dont think there is room for all three of them.

Very similar to 10 years ago when the Lakers had Kobe and Eddie Jones and got rid of Jones becausse he was the poor mans version of Bryant. There were pretty much the same player.
I agree in that one (or two) of those guys needs to leave. But I would much, much, much rather get rid of George than Jones.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathouse Bear
I agree with you guys.

I agree that Avery is having trouble sticking to a system because he has too many players that are slightly better/worse at the same exact things that other players on the Mavs are slightly better/worse at...

I think trading the logjam away for a solid starter who can do most things significantly better than the backups is the first step in the right direction...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-07-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 AM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I agree that Avery is having trouble sticking to a system because he has too many players that are slightly better/worse at the same exact things that other players on the Mavs are slightly better/worse at...

I think trading the logjam away for a solid starter who can do most things significantly better than the backups is the first step in the right direction...
This is a very good point. If we had a shooting guard who was just leaps and bounds better than the other guys on the team who could play his position, then Avery wouldn't have nearly as much room to screw with the rotations and I'd probably want to scream a little less every time I watch the Mavs play.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #22
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I agree in that one (or two) of those guys needs to leave. But I would much, much, much rather get rid of George than Jones.
If you're only getting rid of one of them then you get rid of Hassell.

If you get rid of two (which is what I think they need to do... maybe a 2 for 1?) then I think you have to keep George for the simple reason that Jones is injury prone and older. The Mavs already have two injury prone guards and their names are Stackhouse (age) and Harris. I love Harris, and the Mavs NEED him, but you have to accept that with his body type and the way he plays he's going to miss a week or two now and then. So you need the rest of your guards to be as dependable as possible. George is much more likely to stay on the floor than Jones.

That's assuming we keep Terry. What would be really nice is if the Mavs could get rid of Juwan, Ager, Terry, and Hassell and get someone who does something that the Mavs don't already do, instead of another player who does exactly the same things. Probably not going to happen, but it would be nice.

I'll never understand why the Mavs stockpiled all these players who do exactly the same thing and solved none of their problems during the off season. Was Avery SO in love with Devean George that he needed three of hIm??

Last edited by cinemablend; 02-07-2008 at 06:05 AM.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #23
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished watching the game. Though I'd seen the final score already, I was very happy that a couple things really stood out for me:

1) Whatever this team is doing, Dirk is being used very well.
2) JJBarea is productive. Between him and Harris, we've got a good pair of PGs.
3) JJB and Bass have the same problem, they're both about 4 inches short of being all-stars.

I give Avery a lot of credit for the first two.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote