Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of
Default Memphis

Don't look now but the Grizz are just a 1/2 game behind the Mavs and just whipped the Mavs in the AAC. They also took apart the same Toronto team we barely beat and held them to only 66 points! Do they have the chance to win it all?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was just noticing the same thing last night. Just think what the division will look like if Houston manages to pick things up.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i think they're a little overrated. i tend not to put too much stock into them. they won't have good enough guard play to pull them thru. and their swing men are pretty mediocre.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I think they're dangerous if they use Pau Gasol correctly. Every time I see him play I can't believe what a beast he is down low. When he gets good position, he scores every time. That being said, I don't think they are a threat in the post season. Has their franchise won a game yet in the playoffs?
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #5
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

This Memphis team will most likely win some playoff games. Barring major injuries of course. And their new players, Bobby Jackson and Stoutemire, have plenty of playoff wins. Why can't the Mavs play defense like that?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I said early on that I didn't think the Mavs were much dissimilar to Memphis. So yeah, they have a chance to win it all!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I said early on that I didn't think the Mavs were much dissimilar to Memphis. So yeah, they have a chance to win it all!
The thing that struck me the other night was how long they are. When they focus they're a bitch to play against. Eddie Jones is long and quick and Battier is one of the best defenders in the league...I love his game. Then they can come off the bench with Bobby Jacksonand Hakim Warwick and you're lucky if you can get a good look. Pau is a lot like Dirk on defense...he doesn't have the lateral speed of KG but he's still a 7 footer who can move pretty good.

The difference between Memphis and Dallas is that we have a superstar. If Gasol can consistently play like he did Saturday night then they'll be players in the division.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, When everyone is at full strength, Memphis is at best 4th in the conference. They are a ways behind SA, Dallas, and Phoenix for sure. I really think they are closer to 6th behind Houston and (I can't believe I am saying this) the Clippers.

I still don't have any faith in Memphis. I think they have hit a good run, but they just don't have the horses to keep it up.

I like the lineup, but they can't play the differing styles needed when it gets to the playoffs, and don't have the superstar to force their own style of play.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest question I have about Memphis is their frontcourt depth. Beyond that, though, if BJ can stay healthy he and Stoudamire comprise a pretty good pg rotation. And I rather like their swingman rotation, as well. Jones and Battier are both excellent defenders with the three point range to compliment a low-post scorer like Gasol, and Miller's a nice scorer coming off the bench.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
Bookit
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
IMO, When everyone is at full strength, Memphis is at best 4th in the conference. They are a ways behind SA, Dallas, and Phoenix for sure. I really think they are closer to 6th behind Houston and (I can't believe I am saying this) the Clippers.

I still don't have any faith in Memphis. I think they have hit a good run, but they just don't have the horses to keep it up.

I like the lineup, but they can't play the differing styles needed when it gets to the playoffs, and don't have the superstar to force their own style of play.

How can Memphis be way behind both Dallas and Phoenix when they have blown out both of those teams and those games were played in Dallas and in Phoenix? I am very impressed with them and had no idea they would be so good.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

[q]How can Memphis be way behind both Dallas and Phoenix when they have blown out both of those teams and those games were played in Dallas and in Phoenix? I am very impressed with them and had no idea they would be so good.[/q]
Mem has lost to Miami by 19, Clev by 19, Denver by 16, Portland by 8 and to Boston by1.

What is scary about them? Yes, they have put together a few good games, but they are not in the elite yet.

Dallas has lost to Utah by 9 (second night of a back to back), Mem by 20 (second night of a back to back), Mil in OT by 1 (second night of a back to back), and Philly when Dirk went out (Dallas had the lead when Dirk left). *** Not looking good for Dallas in the 2nd game of back to backs.

I'd guess Mavs in 5 if it were playoff time. Injuries or Officiating could change the game, but at full strength, I think Dallas has at least a slight edge over Memphis at every position.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Eversince their victory over the Mavs, Memphis has been destroying teams. Man oh man, I didn't expect the McGrady-led Rockets to get beat so easily.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
How can Memphis be way behind both Dallas and Phoenix when they have blown out both of those teams and those games were played in Dallas and in Phoenix? I am very impressed with them and had no idea they would be so good.
Because it's not about one game or even a couple of games.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Eversince their victory over the Mavs, Memphis has been destroying teams. Man oh man, I didn't expect the McGrady-led Rockets to get beat so easily.
That team and VG is dysfunctional. Any kind of pressure right now and they will wilt, unless McGrady can become superhuman. When he's not superhuman they are done.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:32 AM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I finally got a chance to watch an episode of NBA Fastbreak and then I find out the Grizz have the 3rd best record in the league. I'm like wtf? Then I look at their squad and they have quietly built together a solid team with a mix of young and veteren players. I had no clue they had Eddie Jones, Damon Stoudamire and Bobby Jackson. Hell of a 1 and 2 spot. Not to mention Gasol is playing out of his mind. I'd watch out for them. The Bucks in the East and the Grizz in the West are my surprises. Both had solid offseasons.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold
Smile

The Grizz are lookin real good now...They are like Dallas last year..they r a very similar team to us...They could go very far IMO.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote