Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

The guy is 10-2 for the white Sox. There are even some rumblings that he may start at the all star game this year. Do you remember him on the Rangers? Is Pitching for the Rangers Cursed?
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Yes.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Estaban Loaiza ?

loaiza struggled even after leaving the rangers... but, he always had great stuff.. you knew that if he ever just took the ball and challenged hitters instead of nibbling that he'd turn it around..well, maybe he's finally doing that. How long will it last? who knows.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i would have to say that rangers pitching is indeed cursed. or maybe it is just the whole franchise.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
The guy is 10-2 for the white Sox. There are even some rumblings that he may start at the all star game this year. Do you remember him on the Rangers? Is Pitching for the Rangers Cursed?
YES!
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

It's not pitching for Rangers is a curse. It's the BallPark of Arlington is not pitcher Friendly. Look at Mike Hampton for example, he screw up his career going to Colorado. This is the main reason why we don't attact free agent pitchers to come here. This ball park is just terrible.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:37 PM   #7
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i guess the ballpark is part of it, but do the pitchers play much better when we are on the road?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #8
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

GO figure , the third starter on a bad rangers pitching staff goes on to be 10 -2 on another team , and is most probably the starter in the all- star game. At this rate, we'll see Darren Oliver become a 20 game winner in a few years.

I personally think it's the Ball Park in Arlington , i wonder if they can make some modifications to the Ball Park , is that possible?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:53 PM   #9
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

They gotta make it longer.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

can they do that? and isn't it weird that there aren't rules as to how long a field has to be so that it is consistent throughout mlb?
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 AM   #11
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

I remember hearing another team had their ballpark expanded, moved out the outfield some this year. I forget which team though....
Old 06-25-2003, 12:27 AM   #12
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

well but then our hitters wouldn't like it as much. there's no happy medium, i suppose.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:01 PM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

It's not the lenth of the walls that hurt our pitching. If we move them back or home plate back that will just lead to more extra base hits instead of home runs. We need to bring some engineers in and put some screens up to reduce the wind currents and "jet stream" that pushes normal fly balls out to right center. That and get more ground ball pitchers instead of Rick Helling-types that are fly ball pitchers.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:47 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

the problem may be partially due to the ballpark..but, overall, most of the pitchers have just sucked.

loaiza wasn't good after leaving texas..he's finally turning it around, but he's always been inconsistant..same with darren oliver.

just a bunch of head cases
Old 06-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #15
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

free agents won't even consider Texas though b/c of the ballpark. All pitchers are head cases it seems. We have to develop from our minors, and the last one that we developed was Kevin Brown. That was a loooong time ago.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #16
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
It's not the lenth of the walls that hurt our pitching. If we move them back or home plate back that will just lead to more extra base hits instead of home runs. We need to bring some engineers in and put some screens up to reduce the wind currents and "jet stream" that pushes normal fly balls out to right center. That and get more ground ball pitchers instead of Rick Helling-types that are fly ball pitchers.

This is exactly the problem. The Ballpark was supposed to be a pitcher's park originally. The wind was supposed to blow over homeplate and out the back of the stadium. Then, at the last minute, they added the Gold Club and sealed off the back of the stadium behind home plate. Now the wind swirls and we have a freaking vortex shooting out over center field. I think there ought to be some way to fix it with panels, screens or fins or something.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Loaiza 11-2. He won yesterday.

Old 06-27-2003, 09:17 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Looks like that trade was pretty one sided for the rangers. Loaiza should be the comeback player of the year, I believe he was picked off waivers to start the year. Wow that chicago staff is good with Jon Garland , Bartolo Colon and Loaiza. If we develop some good arms like maybe a Mario Ramos or that kid out of double A ball M_ , and Benoit we might be set. Remember back in the early 90's and even mid 90's we had nothing in the minor leagues. Know this team has arguably the best young infield in the american league. Texiera leads all rookies in home runs with 10.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #19
Chiwas
Guru

Guess who is going to start the All Star game?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #20
Chiwas
Guru

Reached 20 wins in the game against Yankees today.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

If the rangers could sign him for 8 million yeah id do it.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:29 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
If the rangers could sign him for 8 million yeah id do it.
I hear the White Sock have an option on him for like 3 or 4 million.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:27 AM   #23
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

I almost ran over the guy in the parking lot of the rangers facility in Pt Charlotte about 3 years ago when I was visiting for spring training.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:42 AM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Default Estaban Loaiza ?

no way you give the guy 8 million after just one good year with so many mediocre and bad years before.

a GM's playing with fire if they give him that kind of money..must really want to get canned.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #25
Chiwas
Guru

I heard yesterday that the Sox didn't have a 20 wins pitcher since 1993.

Interesting.

Old 09-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Default Estaban Loaiza ?

jack mcdowell..they've probalby only had 4 different pitchers win 20 in the last 30 years or so..
i know Hoyt won 20 once..but his career was sidetracked by drugs. mcdowell might have won 20 a couple of times...i know he did at least onc.

i'm sure there's one more..probably in the early to mid 80's. but, i can't remember
Old 09-25-2003, 09:06 PM   #27
jayC
Diamond Member

Default Estaban Loaiza ?

Okay but sometimes pitchers get in the twilight of their careers funny both former rangers
that could have been our rotation
Jamie Moyer has been great the past few seasons.
Estaban Loiaza for much of the year has been dominant with a tweak in his mechanics I think.
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Just for fun the other guys.
Kevin Brown
Kenny Rogers
Barry Zito former draft pick.
And Wilson Alvarez.
We could win some games with this group.

Oh well. Hopefully the rangers at least sign Colon, Millwood or Petitte or two of them. For what 35 million?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Default Estaban Loaiza ?

sure, he could turn into a great pitcher. but, i wouldn't offer him big bucks after one really good year
Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 AM   #29
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all
Default Estaban Loaiza ?

i've always thought loaiza was talented but was somewhat of a head case. he seemed to have the stuff to succeed, but when things didn't go his way, he'd pout and lose concentration. he also had a little of the cris carpenter syndrome going - didn't want the ball in tough situations or big games.

if he's cured that, if he's toughened up mentally, then i see no reason he can't be a solid or even spectacular pitcher for years. but $8 mil per year is a huge gamble for someone who's shown flashes and had one really good year.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #30
Chiwas
Guru

I heard him in an interview with the Mexican TV when he had 18 wins, that he learned two new pitches before starting the season with the White Sox. That, and the opportune batting from his teammates, had made his present season success.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:51 PM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

He won his 21 today against Kansas, in the last of the season.

Also today Loaiza passed Martinez on strikeouts to lead the American League.

Good season.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:50 PM   #32
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE:Estaban Loaiza ?

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Looks like that trade was pretty one sided for the rangers. Loaiza should be the comeback player of the year...
Indeed, he won it.

Also he was the second place for the Cy Young. (Halladay won it)

And the White Sox signed him for $4 millions for the next season.

What a season for Loaiza!

Old 11-12-2003, 11:38 PM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

Default RE:Estaban Loaiza ?

Young is an excellent second baseman, and as it turns out Loiaza is a great pitcher.